Dragonhunter Lore

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Kyban.4031

Kyban.4031

Any ideas on how the Dragonhunter will be incorporated into the lore? Do you think it will be a new invention or something we’ll learn from older races/characters.

I like the idea that maybe there is a tradition of holy warriors hunting Bone Dragons in the Maguuma Jungle, it would fit really well with the Guardian picking up the specialization.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I like the tradition idea, but I think it’s less likely to be bone dragons than wyverns. Not sure where it would have come from, though- probably not the Nuhoch or ‘Exalted’, and the Itzel don’t sound to be a great fit either.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

(Disclaimer. I don`t like the name for the specialization, so I am biased. I try to stay neutral here, though)

We have no lore for them at all right now.
There are ideas floating around. Like Braham taking after Eir and becoming the first Dragonhunter, however other than these ideas we got nothing.

Ironicly the same goes for the chronomancer, but I guess we can explain his name and direction much easier, given the fact that the Mesmer allready uses time and distortion magic and the blogpost explains it more like playing with other peoples mind (even though it says other things later on).

The dragonhunter case is a bit more complicated:

Contra
- We don`t have many free roaming dragons in Tyria. The only ones we see are dragon minions and can be seen as an extension of his influence. Making a “sport” out of it and calling yourself a “dragon” hunter, without any real targets to spar on, feels kinda off for me.

- We allready got whole factions and armies out to hunt dragons. The Vigil was created in response to the Elder Dragon thread. The Pact in extension are our dragon hunters, as their purpose is to fight the elder dragons.

- We have established that dragons cannot be taken down alone. Every dragon we met needed either an army or a special device to be taken down (shadow of the dragon needed the purification flame)

- Aside from his guardian design (which actually goes not in favor of the dragon hunter theme), he is described as using normal hunting methods (with guardian divine power sprinkled in).
He lays “ground” traps, shoots high balistic armor piercing arrows. shift to a more backline fighter, from the frontline guardian.
Nothing I would say is usefull again airborn dragons, aside from the bow.
Even the bow is questionable, because it does the same as a warrior rifle (slow and hard hits) and Ranger in general.

- There are no others we know of. By now I would at least see a group of Norn calling themselves dragonhunters, but I don`t.
There isn`t even a special group within the pact, who are designated to take down dragon type enemies.

- Every Eldar Dragon has it`s own tricks. We saw with Mordremoth that tactic A doesn`t work on him and the whole fleet went down.
How can there be a dragonhunter, if his sucessrate cannot be determined? Is he send out to Orr and shoot down undead dragons?

Pro
- It can be something completly new, based on the jungle creatures.

- They could shoehorn the purification fire in, as it is similiar to the guardians divine fire?

- The Eir and Braham aporach, having them do a Rytlock and completly ignoring the Timeline, depending on how we are able to unlock said spezialisation (hey, I fight Zaithan with my Dragonhunter, yeah…)

- They introduce us to an elite group of fighters who fought in Orr.

- Old scriptures in the priory depicted ways to fight dragons (as they weren`t so rare) and they teach it to others now.

Thats it for me. Though there could be several other ways I bet.
Right now the premise is just meh for me.
Love the direction, but the name just doesn`t work for me shudder

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Kyban.4031

Kyban.4031

My thoughts on a tradition would be that it predates the elder dragons, there are other dragons though outside of Cantha they are usually called drakes. I thought it would also fit well with bone dragons because the divine beats undead theme. Perhaps some Shining Blade stayed in the jungle or something, we don’t have access to the Henge of Denravi yet do we? That seems like something that we’ll probably come across in the expansion.

Edit: We do have access to the Henge but there might be other Shining Blade camps out there…

(edited by Kyban.4031)

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Shiren, I agree! A guild wars 2 version of the Scarlet Crusade would do amazing things for the story and would totally fit the current suspicions towards sylvari. It would also fit with the power vacuum that no doubt came into existence due to the defeat of the pact. I’d love to see tensions between what is left of the pact and this new group of radical dragonhunters, with one side being pro-sylvari and the other side being anti-sylvari.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I’d be happy with any profession lore.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Fomivee.3065

Fomivee.3065

IF it was called Paragon and was focused on shouts then it would be easy – Keiran.

But now when it’s revealed as a Dragonhunter with traps… I don’t know. Basically, every player is a dragon hunter. The whole game is about hunting dragons.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Red Jay.2516

Red Jay.2516

IF it was called Paragon and was focused on shouts then it would be easy – Keiran.

But now when it’s revealed as a Dragonhunter with traps… I don’t know. Basically, every player is a dragon hunter. The whole game is about hunting dragons.

Just as every player is a warrior, yet there is the Warrior that specializes in the arts of war. Pretty much the same thing.

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I wanted to copy this shiny gem from Gaurd forum to this place. Thought it may interest you.

A couple notes on Dragonhunter. We went with this name because we felt it was evocative of the medieval witch hunters. Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent. Followers of their faith be it in honor, valor, etc. The origin of the dragonhunter is a more subtle nuanced version of this. Guardians fight for justice and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions. I understand this is a lot more high concept than Mesmer but at the end of the day we felt like we wanted to try and push a more mature theme here. I hope this helps explain our thinking. We had other generic names in mind but felt like it was important to have a mix of spec names that are generic fantasy, more Tyrian fantasy, and more high concept. This one falls more in the third category.

Thanks,

Jon

Medieval witch hunters. More mature theme. Went with “Dragonhunter”.

Now we know why there wasn’t much of a mature content over 3 years. There has been! But we just didn’t know it.

I want a duck trap to match my witch hunter, too.

Attachments:

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

(edited by Rym.1469)

Dragonhunter Lore

in Lore

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

(who aren’t as black and white villainous like Caudecus and his bandits)

I would dispute that! Caudecus is the victim is a vicious pro monarchy propaganda machine that extends even to the story narrative! Any dissidents to the rule of the queen are branded is nothing but bandits and persecuted! Truly, he is the champion of democracy for Kryta and the only hope against the opressive nobility!

But yeah, apart from that good post.