Dragons Gave Gods Power?

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Dais Spires.5728

Dais Spires.5728

So I have spent a sizable chunk of time tonight reading about the Six Human gods and the Six Elder Dragons. I read the history of the dragons and the gods. I’ve skimmed through all kinds of forums about the same subject I am about to go on about, and it’s pretty well accepted that the Gods and the Dragons have nothing in common other then their are six of them. This is mostly because the corresponding elements and magics from the dragons don’t perfectly match up. Well I am about to challenge this, so first let me state my theory.

The Elder Dragons are really old, way older then the Six Human gods. For all we know they have always been. We know that the Dragons go through cycles of “Awakenings”. Where they wake up, destroy everything they can, consuming magic as they do so, then fall back asleep. While they are asleep they leak magic back into the world. The Elder Dragons themselves while asleep are massive sources of magic that have been harnessed in the past by races like the Asura. In fact most of the races started their civilizations in close proximity to a sleeping dragon as if drawn to the magic there.

My theory is that The Gods, whether they came from the Mists, or were mortals, sought out the dragons and absorbed great powers from them. They absorbed so much power in fact that they ascended into the divine, or just became powerful beyond comprehension much like the dragons themselves. The biggest problem with this theory is that, like I said before the elements don’t match up perfectly. But that would be to assume that the gods could only absorb power from one sleeping dragon. Would it be such a stretch for them to be able to pick and choose from each dragon. It’s not like the dragons had any say over it. And we have already seen that powers can be divided up when Abaddon’s powers where divided between Lyssa and Kormir. It was basically like a power buffet, why would you only feast from one station? I think they took what they could from each Dragon and that’s what gave them their specialized abilities.

Thoughts?

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

The biggest problem with the idea, I think, is that the gods were gods before they ever came to Tyria- in fact, some of their greatest acts seem to have been done shortly, perhaps immediately, after they arrived. The arrival itself, traversing the Mists from one planet to another and bringing an entire race with them, is beyond the scope of any mortal power we know of, save perhaps the mursaat.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

there is no correlation between gods and dragons.

also what aaron said.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: adragon.1234

adragon.1234

I would say that the Gods likely arrived at Tyria, and setup in Orr in order to siphon power from Zhaitan. Beyond that I don’t think there’s much of a connection.
One more problem in your theory that I’d like to point out is that it seems to imply that the dragons are divine and capable of creating their own realms in the mists.

“The only lasting peace is the peace within your own soul.” ~Ventari

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I would say that the Gods likely arrived at Tyria, and setup in Orr in order to siphon power from Zhaitan. Beyond that I don’t think there’s much of a connection.
One more problem in your theory that I’d like to point out is that it seems to imply that the dragons are divine and capable of creating their own realms in the mists.

We find out during Arah (Explorable) that they didn’t know Zhaitan was under Arah.

Randall Greyston: Each of the bloodstone shards has been captured by a corrupted servant of a human god, yet this one is not. I wonder why.
Randall Greyston: Fantastic! The human gods not only sundered the seer’s bloodstone here-they increased its power.
Randall Greyston: They pulled the energies of Zhaitan himself, even though they did not know of the sleeping Elder Dragon.
Randall Greyston: They only knew that this was a place of great magical power, and built their godly city here.

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orrian_History_Scrolls#The_Six

Three of the gods – Dwayna, Balthazar, and Melandru – arrived on the world as gods. Chances are the other three did too (now, the question is whether these other three are Lyssa, Abaddon, and Dhuum, or predecessors of the three – we know Lyssa’s origins are outright stated to be unknown, and we know Abaddon had a predecessor though we don’t know when Abaddon supplanted his predecessor).

@Erukk: Randall’s comment seems to be retconned given the Scroll/Tome of the Five True Gods. Chances are that they knew of Zhaitan but didn’t know they were pulling energies from Zhaitan, nor knew where Zhaitan (and the other Elder Dragons) slumbered. (If they did know, wouldn’t they have thought to kill and replace at least one of them with Glint while they slept?).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orrian_History_Scrolls#The_Six

Three of the gods – Dwayna, Balthazar, and Melandru – arrived on the world as gods. Chances are the other three did too (now, the question is whether these other three are Lyssa, Abaddon, and Dhuum, or predecessors of the three – we know Lyssa’s origins are outright stated to be unknown, and we know Abaddon had a predecessor though we don’t know when Abaddon supplanted his predecessor).

@Erukk: Randall’s comment seems to be retconned given the Scroll/Tome of the Five True Gods. Chances are that they knew of Zhaitan but didn’t know they were pulling energies from Zhaitan, nor knew where Zhaitan (and the other Elder Dragons) slumbered. (If they did know, wouldn’t they have thought to kill and replace at least one of them with Glint while they slept?).

Why are you so sure they cared about the Elder Dragons?
Only Abaddon showed indirect interest. So indirect that its an assumption.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Dragons Gave Gods Power?

in Lore

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Why do people summon Konig via this incantation so often?

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144