"E" - Your theories [Possible spoilers]

in Lore

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

It feels that the mysterious “E” has dipped out of the limelight since Dragon Bash. But I haven’t forgotten, and I’m curious every single update.

Do we have any leads yet who “E” could be? My only guess is “E” is the Asura that was pictured in Scarlet’s Lair, impaled by daggers symbolizing an enemy of Scarlet she is close to, or perhaps even a betrayer. If this Asura is someone and I’m missing this, please let me know. The Asuran is Omadd, I’m silly.

I’m stumped. I know Kiel is a big favourite, but she seems too centered to be this person, and too close to us and the rest of “Destiny’s Edge 2.0”.

And, of course, it could just be a character they are yet to introduce – which honestly will sadden me.

Have we any leads about this figure yet? I don’t want to wait ….

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I don’t think it’s dropped off the radar- ANet through in a menion last patch that seemed tailored to draw player attention back to the enigma.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that “E.” is the Herald from the dungeons. They share an uncanny knowledge of major going-ons shortly before they occur, and iirc, there was a dialogue with Marjory where our character admitted to having been contacted multiple times in the past- I’ll try to dig it up. That does still leave the question of who it is, though, and I’m stumped.

EDIT: Huh. Very quick wiki found what I wanted:
Player: He contacts you often?
Marjory: Often enough. Usually with some tip about wrongdoings that need righted. You?
Player: Me too.

That implies that it’s an ongoing thing, but isn’t solid confirmation. Oh well. More interestingly, I also just remembered that it’s implied that Caithe is the Herald- in CoE, the Herald says that they’ve sent word to Rytlock and Logan, and when you ask them they say Rytlock got a note from Caithe. But why would Caithe care about corruption in Divinity’s Reach? I’m feeling uncertain about the whole thing now.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I can’t see the Herald as Caithe, because multiple of the Herald’s messages mention things that Caithe probably wouldn’t (such as “Your mentor was a member of an adventuring group known as Destiny’s Edge. They were legendary heroes, but went their separate ways about five years ago, for reasons I have yet to discover – none have chosen to share that story with me. If you discover the nature of their separation, I would be most appreciative.” from the intro letter). Furthermore, she is fairly direct, abruptly so when it comes to getting Destiny’s Edge back together, so the Herald wouldn’t fit her methodology.

E and the Herald being the same figure would make sense, but I’m in the camp that E is Prince Edair (and his brother was King Roderick, rather than himself being crowned). No real evidence for the theory but I think it fits.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Fair enough. Could be that s/he just sent the message through Caithe.

Personally, I’m really really hoping E doesn’t end up having any e’s in their name at all. The pun they set up was lame enough, no need to add insult to injury.

in Lore

Posted by: Visteri.3821

Visteri.3821

Calling it now, E is Marcello Di Giacomo.

He’s probably the kind of person who would think that “Mr. E” is a good alias…

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Are you all kind of missing the fact that Mr. E sounds like Mystery if you say it quickly?

I don’t think E is actually meant to be someone’s initials, I think it’s just Anet being a little bit punny. It’s kind of like Miss Tick in the Discworld series – her name is just a slight adaptation of the word Mystic.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

No, we get the fact quite clearly. And at least some of us – myself included – knows that was an intentional pun by ArenaNet (derp), especially given that Marjory doesn’t even know E’s gender (though the short story does mention male voice iirc).

And I don’t think Edair because of the E, but rather his personality at the end of the novel. Particularly the fact that E pays attention to both DR and LA events.

Someone who’s interested in both the safety of Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch are rather few, or so I would believe.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Another thought- this sort of work, influencing events by anonymously contacting various skilled individuals to take care of it, an interest in corruption within and threats to different governments, it’s all very much within the Order of Whispers’ MO. We’ve been told in just about every interview that mentions them that they pull the strings of politics behind the scenes, but as players we never really get to see it. Perhaps the Herald/E will finally rectify that.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The story just mentions a deep voice, not male (A deep voice whispered next to my ear). It was intentionally misleading so that people would think E is a male. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if for this reason, E will be female. That keeps with the Living Story trend of making the majority of protagonists female. It also explains why Marjory annoyingly insisted we don’t know what gender E is. Not only did she hear E, but E touched her. How good of a detective can she be if she can’t figure out more about E like his race, smell, height – anything really.

I kind of view the E mystery the same as the Scarlet’s motive and plan.We’ve been given almost nothing to go on and the things we were given were either misleadingly vague (deep voice) or argued to be puns not indicative of gender (Mr E = mystery – I would be annoyed if this was nothing more than a pun unless it’s part of E’s personality to make puns)? We could guess all night, but the truth is we don’t know enough to even make educated guesses. E could be Evon, Kiel, Logan, Anise, Bahltek, a character we haven’t met yet (like a sylvari protagonist – for a story that is centred around a sylvari and a possible link to the dream you’d think another sylvari would take an interest) or any number of other people.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Well, the fact that Marjory was grabbed from behind and is still uncertain about E really rules out asura and charr- hard to mistake a paw, or that your assailant only comes up to your waist. I would like to think she’d be able to recognize a norn too, so that narrows it down to human or sylvari, with the setting making human much more likely (not just that it’s happening in DR, but that E knows the corrupt dealings of the Ministry). The voice thing does bother me too, but I must concede that I’ve known several people with irritatingly androgynous voices.

My point is that we have a lot ruling out certain people, but you’re dead on when you say it’s disheartening that they haven’t given anything that would make someone more likely. It severely curtails any ability of ours to swap theories.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Shiren.9532

What do we know?

• E used a deep voice when talking to Marjory. This is mentioned twice in the story (A deep voice whispered next to my ear, "Calm. and “Listen closely,” the deep voice said.). The wording is very deliberate. E could be masking his/her voice or be a woman with a deep voice. This tells us almost nothing other than E has a voice.
  • E is stealthy. He/she was able to sneak up on Marjory and restrain her without her having time to react (I stood slowly, and as I reached my full height, a body came up gently behind me. Arms wrapped so intimately around me that my fight or flight instincts never kicked in.). Possibly ruling out charr, asura and norn.
  • E uses at least one dagger (Then, a knife appeared at my throat. ). Again that makes me think thief class but anyone can use a knife, I think Canach used one at some point and he’s a warrior (I think?).
  • E is interested in working with Marjory (“There are forces at work in this city, in this world, that will take us all down if we let them. Together, you and I can make a difference.” and Player: He contacts you often? Often enough. Usually with some tip about wrongdoings that need righted.). He/she also seems to be interested in doing good.
  • E is probably not a necromancer (I sensed no necromantic power radiating from my captor. This was someone different.).
  • E might be the black cloaked figure Marjory was chasing (There! A black-cloaked figure slid through the shadows on the far side of the street.).
  • E knew the name of the necromancer that dispelled Mendel’s spirit (“The man you’re chasing is Kraig the Bleak. Magic for hire. You’ll probably never see him again.”). Maybe there is more to Kraig’s story and what happened to the woman Mendel witnessed? It’s still unsolved according Marjory (I hired myself to unravel the conspiracy behind the ghost boy’s murder. I haven’t succeeded yet, but I will.). The story also links to a Minister (coincidentally as does Kasmeer’s sob story). All of this implies E might have an interest in the politics of Divinity’s Reach.
  • E is very careful when communicating, not giving away too many clues of his/her identity (preferring to be called “E”, never showing his/her face, approaching Marjory from behind).
  • E is interested in Krytan politics. Theo Ashford was on the Captain’s Council and E helps out with that investigation, Mendel mentions a Minister For the first time, the ghost boy looked straight at me, and he said, “Minister—”). Both of E’s appearances are specific to human politicians (although in his letter he just says I’ve heard whispers about a threat to the Ship’s Council and, if left unchecked, to the city itself.). Note he/she mentions a threat to the city of Lion’s Arch? I wouldn’t be surprised if he/she popped up with the current threat to the city. Interesting that he/she calls it the Ship’s Council, I thought it was Captain’s Council? This all has a lot in common with an Order of Whispers agent
  • E’s most recent appearance was around the time of Wintersday (Marjory: Our mystery man has been in touch. Kasmeer: You mean E? What’d he want? Marjory: To warn us, it seems. He says there’s a war coming to our doorsteps, a war for all of Tyria.). E says almost nothing of value (at least nothing Marjory would give us).
  • E doesn’t rely on luck (I’d wish you luck, but luck is what fools and idiots require to stay alive. You, I believe, are neither.).
  • E is interested in the player character (You may not know me, but I know you. I’m calling upon you because you’re capable in the face of danger.).
  • E was unable to intervene at Dragonbash (I’ve heard whispers about a threat to the Ship’s Council and, if left unchecked, to the city itself. I’d intervene myself, but circumstances prevent it.).

Interesting to note:

• Kasmeer was the first to misleadingly give E a gender (Ah, the mysterious Mister E. I see. Well, your assistance will be more than welcome, I’m sure.). E never used Mister, it was Kasmeer. Marjory later corrects this (We call him a ‘he,’ but we don’t know if that’s true. All we know is that he knows a lot. So, he must be fairly well connected. He hasn’t been wrong yet.).
  • Logan wanted his name kept out of Marjory’s actions (Marjory Delaqua: How can I say no to Captain Lo– Captain Logan Thackeray: No names. I was never here.). I suspect this is just keeping with the noir style and the story recognising Marjory was hired by a Seraph to work in Lionguard jurisdiction.

It’s a long list but I don’t think it leads to anyone.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Marjory does openly ask Logan rather he knows anyone who goes by E, but Logan seems honestly baffled by the question. So we have a long list of people we’ve ruled out… so much so we don’t have any suspects left, and we’re forced to turn to characters from out-of-game mediums, characters in-game who are only potential candidates because of their race, or else throw up our hands and assume it’s someone we’ve never met before. The mystery really could’ve been handled better.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

And I don’t think Edair because of the E, but rather his personality at the end of the novel. Particularly the fact that E pays attention to both DR and LA events.

Wouldn’t he be around 100 if he’s still alive? It would also require that he had abdicated at some point.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Wouldn’t he be around 100 if he’s still alive? It would also require that he had abdicated at some point.

Konig said his theory was that Edair was never crowned- that after the debacle at Lion’s Arch he would’ve let one of his brothers take the crown instead. But yeah, that age thing may prove a challenge.

in Lore

Shiren.9532

Honestly I’m not prepared to rule anyone out (aside from maybe Marjory). I think there are a large number of unlikely characters (as was mentioned before, certain races seem less likely due to the nature of Marjory’s encounter but I wouldn’t say it’s impossible). If Logan was E (I don’t believe he is) he’s already acting as if he’s not. He would keep up that act if questioned about him (again I don’t think it’s him, but I believe it’s still possible however unlikely).

Honestly if I had to guess, E is a virtuous thief with an interest in protecting Kryta/Tyria and he/she is very well connected. It would be bizarre if E wasn’t a member of the Order of Whispers (why write that organisation in Tyria if the story’s most order-like character isn’t one of them – then again, wouldn’t E reveal his/her identity to other OoW members?). My guess is E is someone we haven’t met yet. I’d be surprised if E was Evon, Kiel, Kasmeer, Logan, Anise, Canach, Taimi, Noll or any of the other major characters so far (I personally wouldn’t eliminate them as possibilities). The only suggestion I’ve seen so far that holds any weight to me is Marcello, but even that seems unlikely to me (he seems more comical than anything, but it would be a good cover). I don’t know who Prince Edair is (haven’t finished SoS yet, I got bored early on and put it down). My guess is E is yet to make an appearance in person, or if he/she did, it was as a background character (given how poorly Mai’s identity was hidden, I doubt this is the case).

in Lore

Posted by: Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

I’m stumped. I know Kiel is a big favourite, but she seems too centered to be this person, and too close to us and the rest of “Destiny’s Edge 2.0”.

It can’t be her.

After the incident with Theo Ashford, “E” said that “The Lionguard is keeping the new quiet while the festival continues, but they’re overwhelmed trying to maintain security in the city”. In fact, Ellen Kiel was in charge of the Lionguard during the whole event. And she didn’t know Marjory until The Scene of the Crime instance.

My bet is on a (ex-?)Ministry Guard member. “E” knows Marjory. “E” knows Divinity’s Reach quite well.

“E” was also aware of Aetherblades’ plan before Ceremony and Acrimony, and that’s an interesting fact…

Confused.

Guild Wars 2 Wiki FR contributor

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Eternal Alchemy?

/15charssittingonawall

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Someone who’s interested in both the safety of Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch are rather few, or so I would believe.

So Edair fell in love with curvy Livia, she made less of a kittenbag of him and more of a patriot of Kryta and a champion of humanity (and its allies) while significantly prolonging his life similar to hers. Then they pulled out of view, making everyone believe they were killed/perished.

And now they’re acting from the shadows to destroy and/or unveil the corrupt, White Mantle infiltrators within the Ministry as well as to discover their mursaat puppet-masters, making love in their top-secret hideout in their free time.

That’d be a cool spy story! I’m signed up for E being Edair!

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Inugami.1328

Inugami.1328

Its Evon of course. Hes been talking about LA being the next target for a while now…

in Lore

Posted by: SunRoamer.5103

SunRoamer.5103

So Edair fell in love with curvy Livia, she made less of a kittenbag of him and more of a patriot of Kryta and a champion of humanity (and its allies) while significantly prolonging his life similar to hers.

Since you mentioned her: why not simply assume that E is Exemplar Livia herself?

It’s something I’ve been considering for a while and I feel like somebody already mentioned that theory (since I’m mostly lurking the forums, I don’t remember who did, however).

I mean, they went that extra mile in pointing out that E might be a woman with the recent Marjory dialogue. She’d also have a reason to not like the Ministry Guard (messing with Jennah) and therefore had a motivation to aid Marjory with her first case. Ever since the Jubilee, she’d also have a reason to consider Scarlet a danger to the queen, thus starting to care about the greater picture (so she started involving herself with “international” politics, i.e. stuff concerning LA).
(I think Livia should have been interested in the larger picture anyway. I mean, most of the Living Story issues are global threats.)

Things to consider:

Why would she have gone into hiding in the first place? (It allows her to operate more freely? She doesn’t want people to associate her with the queen, with all the bad rumors about her flying around?)

Marjory felt no necrotic powers from E, but Livia was a necromancer.
One might argue that she was around 250 years ago and has dabbled in other magic schools as most people did back then (lore on GW1’s dual professions is so uncertain though), or that, if she’s still around, she has well evolved beyond simply being a necromancer.
For example, some think she was/is a lich. There’s not too much lore on them, since there are only very few known liches, which means many things might be possible. Their powers, while often dealing with (un)death, might have a signature that feels different from that of any necromancer, for instance.
What is definitely known though is that she has dabbled a lot with orrian magic, which might make her more of a wild card, if not a lich. Appearing out of nowhere, appeasing Marjory’s sense of danger, and then disappearing just as quickly without leaving any sort of “necro was here!” behind could become well possible.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

I’m guessing that Mr E will get a mysterious appearance in game before he is revealed. Too much of his story is inconsequential and web based at the moment. In that case we’re speculating too early.

If his character is written properly then we should expect Mr E to be well informed but not powerful. If Evon Gnashblade wanted Scarlet dead he could just put out a very big bounty on her for pirate activity. The Order of Whispers wouldn’t go to Marjory for detective work. And so on. Can we rule out Canach based on his jail time, or does that rule him in?

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

wouldn’t E reveal his/her identity to other OoW members?).

Unless their mission was of great important that only the Master of Whispers themselves had the clearance to know.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

E is Prince Ewan. I cracked anet’s secret code here.

Edit: But seriously, remember that Logan wasn’t always the clunky, earnest Seraph that he is now. So don’t entirely rule him out as a contender. As it stands, there are clear connections between Eir and Braham, Zojja and Taimi, Rox and Rytlock. Maybe his dumb, loyal persona is a facade so the very clever people involved in Kryta politics don’t see him as a meaningful threat.

Oh, is there a possibility that E stands for Ebonhawke? Seems like, as the other major human city, they would have some interest both in DR and LA politics.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

(edited by perilisk.1874)

in Lore

Posted by: MRA.4758

MRA.4758

I have always been pretty convinced that the myterious ‘E’ is in fact … (dramatic pause) … Evon Gnashblade. Yes, he is a greedy kitten who loves nothing more than his profits, but I assume that he is also the most clever person in LA and that he is well aware that there is no commerce in total apocalyptic chaos. So he is pulling some strings in the dark to keep his monopolistic enterprise running smoothly, even if this means helping out some ludicrous do-gooders.

The point that Marjory was not noticing that it was a Charr holding her with his arm speaks of course against this theory, but I am willing to ignore this.

~MRA

IGN: Peavy (Asuran Engineer)
Tyrian Intelligence Agency [TIA]
Dies for Riverside on a regular basis, since the betas

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

My vote is Kasmeer, Jennah or Anise. There’s nothing to back any of that up except that they’re all Mesmers and Anet likes to treat Mesmers as if their abilities are just ridiculously amazing and can fool anyone and everyone.

My serious vote would be on Ellen – if they hadn’t kind of portrayed her as maybe not being quite the sharpest tool in the box…

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Ellen’s actions in game are smart, at least compared to the other characters. She gets things done. The voice acting and animations don’t reflect that though.

in Lore

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

Does anyone know (or have a collection) of the mails sent by Mr. E? I remember reading them, but I’d like to go over them again… Not sure where to look though.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I think we can also rule out Ellen Kiel and Evon Gnashblade.

Ellen Kiel is not the type of woman to use stealth, and skulk in the shadows. Nor to hold a dagger to the throat of a private investigator. It’s not her style, plus she couldn’t easily sneak off unnoticed, considering her importance in Lion’s Arch.

Evon Gnashblade seems more concerned with Lion’s Arch, and with business. Why would he care about the Queen or Divinity’s Reach? He may be a large gruff guy, with the right voice, but he’s no stealthy knife wielding ninja.

It can’t be Kasmeer, because you don’t hold a knife against the throat of the woman you love, just to keep up appearances. Plus, she’d be recognized instantly. Even though she is a mesmer, and could masquerade her appearance, holding a knife at Marjory’s throat just isn’t something she would do.

I think Prince Edair is a good call, because it would explain how he is sometimes unable to intervene, and is limited in his movements.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It can’t be Kasmeer, because you don’t hold a knife against the throat of the woman you love, just to keep up appearances. Plus, she’d be recognized instantly. Even though she is a mesmer, and could masquerade her appearance, holding a knife at Marjory’s throat just isn’t something she would do.

Problem with your explanation:

Marjory “met” E before she met Kasmeer.

Kasmeer and Marjory met after Marjory had become a PI, which was after she quite the Ministry, which was just after the short story’s events.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Kasmeer and Marjory met after Marjory had become a PI, which was after she quite the Ministry, which was just after the short story’s events.

That would still contradict the character of Kasmeer, and it would contradict the player’s interactions with Kasmeer and Marjory later on, would it not?

in Lore

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

It’s always who you least suspect. So it must be Professor Gorr!

in Lore

Posted by: Bigtony.5089

Bigtony.5089

I bet all my mysterie tonics on Lord Faren !

in Lore

Darkbattlemage.9612

It’s always who you least suspect. So it must be Professor Gorr!

So it actually this guy.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

@Mad Queen Malafide

Actually Evon was part of the Ash legion before founding the BLTC. So he might still be a stealthy dagger-wielding ninja. And he possibly may have interests in a lot more than we currently know other than LA and commerce. (Cough Abaddon’s fall as example cough)

Anyways, he’s my top-contestant for E, because the silly LA-attack foreshadowing reeks of obvious to me andIdon’texpectanymindblowingtwists. How Marjory didn’t notice that it was a Charr…well we’ve had Tybalt posing as Demmi with some mesmer magic, so for all we know it could be some Ash-legion magic tricks.

My second guess is our exposition fairy Ela Makkay.

My third guess is it’s going to be a totally new character. Whoever it is, from a writers perspective it needs to be someone whose introduction would make sense to the majority of the playerbase – means also those who aren’t as invested in lore.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That would still contradict the character of Kasmeer, and it would contradict the player’s interactions with Kasmeer and Marjory later on, would it not?

It wouldn’t contradict the character of Kasmeer. The timeline would thus be:

1. Kasmeer puts knife to Marjory
  2. Kasmeer “meets” Marjory for the “first time” and is hired.
  3. Kasmeer and Marjory fall for each other.

You said it couldn’t be Kasmeer because Kasmeer wouldn’t put a knife to the throat of someone she loved. But the argument fails because the knife act was before Kasmeer could fall for Marjory. IF Kasmeer truly loves Marjory. Remember, she’s a mesmer. She knows how to fake. So she is not ruled out just yet. Though I doubt it, but it is possible.

My guesses in most likely to least likely:

• Faren (he’s a mesmer, he’s interested in DR politics, is a general good-doer and is actually quite suave despite acting the fool 95% of the time; though the interest in LA is what downs him)
  • Edair (he knew Livia, him extending his life is not out of the question, and his utter failure of a destroyed naval fleet would probably kick him from being crowned truth be told; he always had an interest in Lion’s Arch and Kryta in general, and his promise to Cobiah may make him, if at all honorable, wanting to keep LA safe on top of DR/Kryta).
  • Herald (because it’d be an awesome way for Anet to tie the guy into our story, and they introduce themselves the exact same way – anyone notice that? First sentences in first letters: We have not met, but I have long been a follower of your exploits. – Herald; You may not know me, but I know you. – E)
  • Someone new (because if those three don’t fit, I don’t really seeing much of anyone we know somewhat about fitting)
Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

You know… I’d initially ruled out Evon because he’s, you know, a Charr and all, and it’d be pretty weird for Marjory not to notice that during their initial encounter. But then again, this IS a world where transformation tonics exist. Who’s to say that Evon didn’t just drink one before going out on whatever Ash Legion/sleuthing business he was up to?

in Lore

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

• Faren (he’s a mesmer, he’s interested in DR politics, is a general good-doer and is actually quite suave despite acting the fool 95% of the time; though the interest in LA is what downs him)

Lord Faren is a Warrior :p
Appart from that he is my top suspect for being “E”

He is a Noble of DR interested in politics
He is well aware of the intrigue in the Ministry
He has a recurring appearance in the LS- so he is known to people who do not know him form the Human Story
His personality always seems like a mask to me- I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he is Order of Whispers

Gunnar’s Hold

in Lore

Posted by: Saikotik.2457

Saikotik.2457

Gotta chime in with my theory.
E is actually…. Kormir!

The gods didn’t leave, they went deep into hiding, conspiring to direct the affairs of Tyria from the shadows until they felt it was safe to return to the light. Kormir is sent to the human nations (and gets stuck with the correspondence since she’s the newbie).
Melandru creates an automated dragon defense system (AKA the Pale Tree(s) and subsequent Sylvari) so she’s micro managing them.
Balthazar gets sent to the Charr (because they like burning things with fire. Turns out, he kind of likes them after the exposure).
Lyssa ends up with the Asura, because she hacked their portals.
Grenth goes to the Norn, because everyone else agreed that it was too cold.
Dwayna is bringing in the Ten….. uhm, that is, the sixth (playable) race. Who like air/wind.

Scarlet is lead by the voice of Dhuum to work against Melandru’s influence in her TADS (Tyrian Automated Defense System/ Tyrian Anti-Dragon System) and so she creates thumpers which allow her to monitor leyline usage, noting surges in LA as Kormir magically sends billions of posts to every up and coming hero.

This. Or I ate something weird.

in Lore

Posted by: Onza.7165

Onza.7165

(Exemplar) Livia?

It’s something i’ve been thinking about recently.

More violence, less violets.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Lord Faren so far comes off as pretty incompetent. Remember how easily he got caught by Scarlet, and how eager he was to jump to Jennah’s aid? Or how he was in his boxer shorts at Southsun Cove? He’s not exactly a guy who is good at keeping a low profile. This does not seem to fit with the stealthy knife wielding persona of E, who eludes even the master detective. And his voice is hardly deep, although you could always point to mesmer magic for that. But really, his incompetence directly contradicts the character of E.

And while you are correct Konig that the timeline of Kasmeer puts E’s attack on Marjory before they fell in love, it doesn’t make sense to then still keep this a secret. Don’t Marjory and Kasmeer discuss this “E” with the player? So if Kasmeer really was “E”, surely Marjory would have found out eventually? Which would mean that at the point when the player confronts Marjory and Kasmeer, there would be no reason to keep up this charade. Marjory and Kasmeer obviously already trust the player enough, so why keep sending the player mystery notes? They could simply inform the players directly. Nothing is stopping Kasmeer from warning the player directly, and signing it with her own name.

Which leads me to another point, why would Kasmeer need to hide her identity? She already is on top of this case pretty blatantly. She’s not exactly keeping a low profile. So what would be the point of sending mystery notes?

in Lore

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Don’t think it would be Livia, since it was stated Marjory felt no “Necromancer” powers.

I’m thinking outside the box here, but just from my observations of the new mostly unknown race “largos”. Their interesting style and profound knowledge of the world is more than what we currently know it seems. Is it possible a Largos is actually working in the background? Maybe with assistance of the OoW?

I don’t think it’s any of the current major characters though, they all have billets to fill, and none of them I would suspect to have time for a “second job”.

This “E” seems to stay out of the way, more so an informant and bystander to all that happens. Whoever this character is, they have manged to keep a keen eye on many characters without a hitch.

Whoever E is, he/she has great connections but with no known connections.

in Lore

SunRoamer.5103

Don’t think it would be Livia, since it was stated Marjory felt no “Necromancer” powers.

Hey Antara, I addressed that issue in an earlier post:

Marjory felt no necrotic powers from E, but Livia was a necromancer.
One might argue that she was around 250 years ago and has dabbled in other magic schools as most people did back then (lore on GW1’s dual professions is so uncertain though), or that, if she’s still around, she has well evolved beyond simply being a necromancer.
For example, some think she was/is a lich. There’s not too much lore on them, since there are only very few known liches, which means many things might be possible. Their powers, while often dealing with (un)death, might have a signature that feels different from that of any necromancer, for instance.
What is definitely known though is that she has dabbled a lot with orrian magic, which might make her more of a wild card, if not a lich. Appearing out of nowhere, appeasing Marjory’s sense of danger, and then disappearing just as quickly without leaving any sort of “necro was here!” behind could become well possible.

Do you think this might be a possibility?
I know that there can’t be a definitive answer at this point (the whole purpose of my idea was to turn her into more of a wild card, so this is to be expected), but I’m curious as to whether people consider it a possibility.

Does anybody know whether you would be able to feel it anyway when that other person hasn’t used magic recently? Can you “suppress” the magic aura you give off? (More general questions, not necessarily related to the Livia theory)

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

No, I don’t consider that a possibility. We have to go with what we know, and we know that Livia IS a necromancer. We have no reason to assume she’s suddenly not a necromancer anymore. Marjory didn’t feel necromantic powers, so it can’t have been a fellow necromancer. Besides, someone who had contact with the Scepter or Orr would arguably radiate necromantic energy.

And I may be mistaken, but this is I think the first time that I’ve seen a necromancer npc state that they can feel the necromantic powers of a fellow necromancer.

in Lore

Darkbattlemage.9612

Do you think this might be a possibility?
I know that there can’t be a definitive answer at this point (the whole purpose of my idea was to turn her into more of a wild card, so this is to be expected), but I’m curious as to whether people consider it a possibility.

Does anybody know whether you would be able to feel it anyway when that other person hasn’t used magic recently? Can you “suppress” the magic aura you give off? (More general questions, not necessarily related to the Livia theory)

The energies emanating from a Lich have been normally described as concentrated necromantic energies in other sources. However since Livia comes from a time where the people would often pick up a secondary profession, it is possible she chose mesmer and utilized its spells to deceive Marjory into thinking there was no necromantic energy emanating from herself.

Since mesmer magic has been included as a possible tool of this E, nothing can be ruled out until we have confirmation that Mesmer magic is not used by this E or that Marjory possesses a extraordinary amount of willpower that she is able to resist such magic.

in Lore

SunRoamer.5103

The Scepter of Orr has no link to necromantic powers however, right? It was used to control otherworldly beings in general and possibly the “outer world” itself, as well as souls etc.

While necromancers dabble in magic around souls, it’s probably not the same thing.

E: I really like how “Mesmer!” seems to make just about everything possible.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

The Scepter of Orr has no link to necromantic powers however, right? It was used to control otherworldly beings in general and possibly the “outer world” itself, as well as souls etc.

Not directly. Although we do see the Lich use it to summon undead, and control them. The Vizier implies that it is the scepter of orr that makes them do his bidding.

We do know that the Scepter of Orr boosts the energy and powers of those wielding it, and those who are close to it. So arguably, if Marjory can sense necromantic energies, it is not far fetched that she would also detect a much stronger presence in magic.

To be perfectly clear, we do not know if the Scepter of Orr leaves magical traces upon the user, and it’s powers may entirely be limited to while you are wielding it.

Now mesmer magic can alter people’s minds, and could possibly hide someone’s magical signature. But we have no reason to assume Livia is suddenly a mesmer. It seems a bit of a cop out to constantly bring up magic mesmer, and say: “Maybe it was all a mesmer illusion!”. That sort of reasoning doesn’t get us anywhere. I think we should work with what we know.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Not directly. Although we do see the Lich use it to summon undead, and control them. The Vizier implies that it is the scepter of orr that makes them do his bidding.

In retrospect, though, we know that he could do both those things without the Scepter, which makes that statement highly suspect. Even the claim that it allows control over the titans may well be false, now that we know that titans are intelligent beings in service to the same master as Khilbron.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Konig said his theory was that Edair was never crowned- that after the debacle at Lion’s Arch he would’ve let one of his brothers take the crown instead. But yeah, that age thing may prove a challenge.

Livia lived a very long time. They’ve outright said people can use magic to lengthen their lives.

I have always been pretty convinced that the myterious ‘E’ is in fact … (dramatic pause) … Evon Gnashblade. Yes, he is a greedy kitten who loves nothing more than his profits, but I assume that he is also the most clever person in LA and that he is well aware that there is no commerce in total apocalyptic chaos. So he is pulling some strings in the dark to keep his monopolistic enterprise running smoothly, even if this means helping out some ludicrous do-gooders.

The point that Marjory was not noticing that it was a Charr holding her with his arm speaks of course against this theory, but I am willing to ignore this.

~MRA

If you actually talk to Evon, he mentions how the lionguard is all chasing Scarlet in the forest and LA is weakened (Said something like that recently when I talked to him). He was very much concerned over LA’s defenses and safety.

About the “Felt no necromancer energy” I think you all are approaching it wrong. Maybe Marjory meant more like “No necromancer style powers masked the persons approach.” IIRC, they do have some which allow them to conceal themselves/move quickly, so it may have been just somebody naturally using stealth to approach instead of any magic. I think the herald/E hasn’t been shown ingame yet at all. What if it’s the Wizard in the Wizards tower off Kessex hills?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Isgarren? Hm. That would actually be very interesting… especially considering the little things that’re meant to make us think of him as a villain. I wouldn’t mind it though.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Isgarren? Hm. That would actually be very interesting… especially considering the little things that’re meant to make us think of him as a villain. I wouldn’t mind it though.

Was just kinda a random thought. I mean, he sits in his tower and otherwise isn’t mentioned to do much.

My vote is Kasmeer, Jennah or Anise. There’s nothing to back any of that up except that they’re all Mesmers and Anet likes to treat Mesmers as if their abilities are just ridiculously amazing and can fool anyone and everyone.

My serious vote would be on Ellen – if they hadn’t kind of portrayed her as maybe not being quite the sharpest tool in the box…

Um, Mesmers magic is illusion. Factions handbook basically said “Mesmers make their own reality.” The Ebon Falcons from GW EOTN/beyond explicitly mentioned one made an illusion equal in size to the eye of the north to keep a charr army from overrunning them, though it took a toll on her,

Illusion magic is potent and powerful. Remember, Jennah made Ebonhawke appear as filled with branded so the branded ogres would leave, and it worked. They have not yet shown ANYBODY or ANYTHING resistant or capable of outright seeing through illusions so far in the lore(or mentioned it). (Glint’s lair was not in a grain of sand, it was as big as it appears. Illusions just made it impossible to find to everybody).