"E" - Your theories [Possible spoilers]

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

(Glint’s lair was not in a grain of sand, it was as big as it appears. Illusions just made it impossible to find to everybody).

Not, strictly speaking, true. The book isn’t very clear on what sort of magic it was, but it was more than just an illusion- otherwise at some point during the day they spent going back and forth over the same empty tract of land, they would’ve bumped into a wall.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

(Glint’s lair was not in a grain of sand, it was as big as it appears. Illusions just made it impossible to find to everybody).

Not, strictly speaking, true. The book isn’t very clear on what sort of magic it was, but it was more than just an illusion- otherwise at some point during the day they spent going back and forth over the same empty tract of land, they would’ve bumped into a wall.

Unless the illusion made them think they were climbing up a dune. It’s kinda unclear how exactly they work though.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

If you actually talk to Evon, he mentions how the lionguard is all chasing Scarlet in the forest and LA is weakened (Said something like that recently when I talked to him). He was very much concerned over LA’s defenses and safety.

This is one of the reasons I don’t think E is Evon. Evon cares a lot about Lion’s Arch. We never see him concerned about Divinity’s Reach as well. Which may mean that we should look for someone who is more concerned for Kryta as a whole, and who has a broader perspective, but limited movement room. This suggests someone of nobility perhaps. Someone who has others looking over his/her shoulder constantly.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

This is one of the reasons I don’t think E is Evon. Evon cares a lot about Lion’s Arch. We never see him concerned about Divinity’s Reach as well. Which may mean that we should look for someone who is more concerned for Kryta as a whole, and who has a broader perspective, but limited movement room. This suggests someone of nobility perhaps. Someone who has others looking over his/her shoulder constantly.

Like Lady Demmi Beetlestone who now a member of the Order of Whispers?

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

That’s an option I had not considered yet. I wish there was some way to link the letter E to her though, but the whole “Mister E / Mystery” thing makes it just as likely that it’s a play on words. So the letter need not be related to the name of the sender at all.

Demmi is however a character prominent in the human personal storyline (that’s assuming the player has made it this far in the PS.) In fact, that may be a point against her, that she is heavily involved with part of the PS, as this would kind of derail the timeline if she were Mister E.

If I had to put money on it though, I would still go with Prince Edair, like Konig suggested. But Demmi is a good second option.

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

That’s an option I had not considered yet. I wish there was some way to link the letter E to her though, but the whole “Mister E / Mystery” thing makes it just as likely that it’s a play on words. So the letter need not be related to the name of the sender at all.

Demmi is however a character prominent in the human personal storyline (that’s assuming the player has made it this far in the PS.) In fact, that may be a point against her, that she is heavily involved with part of the PS, as this would kind of derail the timeline if she were Mister E.

If I had to put money on it though, I would still go with Prince Edair, like Konig suggested. But Demmi is a good second option.

Some of the living story content has been confirmed, on the wiki anyways, to take place after Zhaitan’s defeat so it actually wouldn’t interfere with the Personal Story anymore than the other living story content already has.

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

If you actually talk to Evon, he mentions how the lionguard is all chasing Scarlet in the forest and LA is weakened (Said something like that recently when I talked to him). He was very much concerned over LA’s defenses and safety.

Yeah, was just pointing out that he’s very concerned about the safety/defenses of LA since some may not talk to him. Kiel is up in the captain’s council building and mentions the rest of the council brushing her off for defenses.

I know this may conflict with the “necromancer” thing, but what about Eve from GW1? We know magical long life exists (to point of GW1 to GW2). If she wasn’t actively using necromancer magic (as I said earlier) she might not appear/aura it about…

Random thought.

Some of the living story content has been confirmed, on the wiki anyways, to take place after Zhaitan’s defeat so it actually wouldn’t interfere with the Personal Story anymore than the other living story content already has.

I think pretty much all the LS takes place after Zhaitan’s defeat. The wiki timeline at least leaves a 2 year gap or so between “Start of Personal story” and “Current LS” (aka, before the marionette boss fight event).

in Lore

Posted by: Volstag.6371

Volstag.6371

I still say its Minister Etham

He dialog shows a clear concern for the people of Nebo Terrace who are looking for aid from Lion’s Arch. As Minister her could be privy to much of the secrets of DR. I still think the WatchKinght/ Steamcreature link needs to be looked at more closely. Who made the watchknights?

some men aren’t looking for anything logical…
some men just want to watch the world burn.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Scarlet is E. She’s the voice for the Origin of Madness trailer.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Mister E is Kasmeer’s creation, it’s not a name that E used himself/herself.

As is Lord Faren. Several other characters also cross over.

I honestly don’t understand how this thread gets two pages long. I didn’t think we know enough about E to fuel a two page discussion (then again, many posts are wild speculation that don’t take into account most of what we do know).

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mister E is Kasmeer’s creation, it’s not a name that E used himself/herself.

That’s actually a good point I hadn’t thought of yet. So perhaps we can ignore the Mister E/Mystery angle completely.

As is Lord Faren. Several other characters also cross over.

True. So, it could be Demmi. Although her initials don’t start with E. Which still makes Prince Edair more likely.

I honestly don’t understand how this thread gets two pages long. I didn’t think we know enough about E to fuel a two page discussion (then again, many posts are wild speculation that don’t take into account most of what we do know).

Well, there are several people of whom we can definitely say that they are not E, for practical reasons. Then add up all the things we do know, and the list of suspects becomes a whole lot shorter.

• E is most likely of the same height as Marjory.
  • E is most likely not an Asura, due to the above reason.
  • E can hide in the shadows and wield a knife.
  • E is most likely a man, due to his low voice.
  • E is concerned for Lion’s Arch and Divinities Reach.
  • E knows the player, though the player may not know him.
  • E is most likely not a necromancer.
  • E has to remain anonymous, and cannot always intervene.
  • E is most likely not a Charr, or he just hides those features really well.
  • E most likely is involved with politics, or nobility. Because he must hide his involvement.
  • E is most likely not Kasmeer, because Kasmeer has already met the player, and is clearly involved in the investigation. Thus she has no need to hide her identity.

I know this may conflict with the “necromancer” thing, but what about Eve from GW1? We know magical long life exists (to point of GW1 to GW2). If she wasn’t actively using necromancer magic (as I said earlier) she might not appear/aura it about…

We could make a huge list with characters whose name starts with E. That doesn’t narrow it down. There are three things that make Eve a very unlikely candidate.

• She’s a necromancer. We know that E is most likely not a necromancer.
  • She’s dead. It’s been 250 years, and the rest of the henchmen are also dead. Why wouldn’t she be? Plus, her skull Adam is an item you can find in the game. If she no longer has the skull, then she may no longer be alive.
  • She doesn’t know the player, and the player doesn’t know her. E says that he knows the player, but he/she probably doesn’t know him. This rules Eve out. She is never ever introduced in the game.

(edited by Mad Queen Malafide.7512)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Lord Faren is a Warrior :p

I’m 90% sure I saw him using mesmer skills – no illusions though – during the duel in the Trial of Zamon.

Certainly wields his sword like a mesmer.

Unless they changed it between BWE and release. Because looking at the PS story step on the wiki… Minister Guard Reth I’m pretty sure had a staff with guardian skills. You had choices of two mesmers and two guardians as your seconds initially. I’m pretty sure…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I would also like to add to the list of non-suspects:

• Logan Thackeray is probably not E. Because we already see Logan meet with Marjory in secret. This rules Logan out.
  • Jennah is probably not E, because if she was, she would send Logan, who knows the player quite well. Besides, someone like Jennah would not have to keep her identity a secret when addressing the player. She wouldn’t need to hide her involvement either.

in Lore

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Could it be Eir? When you first meet Braham, he asks why Eir doesn’t do anything and Eir says she has her reasons but doesn’t go into it. She’s also a person that’s deeply concerned with saving the world (which made her form Destiny’s Edge in the first place) and it seems that as a ranger/hunter, she has the skills and posture to grab and hold Marjory. Also, being a Norn…she’d likely have a low voice. Lower than a human in any case.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It’s possible. Although, why would Eir say in a letter “you might not know me”? Also, being a Norn she is a lot taller than Marjory. Marjory makes no mention of E being exceptionally tall. And does Eir have any reasons to hide her involvement? She’s not exactly involved in politics, with people looking over her shoulders. Would Eir have a special concern for Lion’s Arch and Divinity’s Reach?

Those things don’t quite add up. Perhaps not enough to rule her out completely, but it does make her a less likely suspect.

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

E could very well simply stand for “Enigma”. Just a tought, I’ve no clue who E might be.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

The likeliest conclusion is that we haven’t met E – in a way that they are not even represented by an NPC in the game yet.

Personally I think it may be a tip-of-the-hat to Half Life’s G-Man. Guild Wars has a lot of [intentionally] unanswered questions in the lore, I think it would be great if there was one unanswered question that was right in your face (like G-Man is).

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

We could make a huge list with characters whose name starts with E. That doesn’t narrow it down. There are three things that make Eve a very unlikely candidate.

• She’s a necromancer. We know that E is most likely not a necromancer.
  • She’s dead. It’s been 250 years, and the rest of the henchmen are also dead. Why wouldn’t she be? Plus, her skull Adam is an item you can find in the game. If she no longer has the skull, then she may no longer be alive.
  • She doesn’t know the player, and the player doesn’t know her. E says that he knows the player, but he/she probably doesn’t know him. This rules Eve out. She is never ever introduced in the game.

A: As I said, it may be up for debate whether Marjory was meaning something like “Used necromancer powers to sneak up/get close” or “Felt the general aura necromancers give off” (Which we’ve never heard of that happening before in the lore IIRC)
B: It’s been explicitly stated people (at least humans) can use magic to live long lives. Livia is still alive in GW2. It would make sense for Necromancers to have the easiest time at this. Also, there are items say, ascended which belong to other characters which would be weird for them to be available. Joko’s finger cuffs for example lol.
C: I don’t think E has EVER been shown in the game to begin with. If It’s Livia she hasn’t appeared once. If E has been shown, it’s somebody that the players haven’t interacted with much or at all. Or isn’t a character that people are required to interact with.

Dougal Keane could be an example of a possible person. Well knowable about dungeons/events going on, from DR and lives in LA, he knows the characters before they meet him in the city…

“I recognize you. [Character Name], right? My name is Dougal Keane. I’d been wondering if I’d see you come through here at some point.”
“As a member of the Vigil, I get pertinent information sent my way. You’ve been making a name for yourself, but I’m sure you’re aware of that fact.”
“I mentor the younger Vigil members about the dangers they may face in the field. Of course, I do keep an eye out to see if anything interesting pops up. still an adventurer at heart, I guess.”

Puts him in the “Could possibly be E” area I think. The first line is when you first talk to him.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

in Lore

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

A: As I said, it may be up for debate whether Marjory was meaning something like “Used necromancer powers to sneak up/get close” or “Felt the general aura necromancers give off” (Which we’ve never heard of that happening before in the lore IIRC)

It would be interesting to get some confirmation on this from the writers. Can necromancers feel the presence of a fellow necromancer? Because the story seems to imply that this is the case.

B: It’s been explicitly stated people (at least humans) can use magic to live long lives.

Long, but not over 250 years, unless they pull off some truly magical trick. Livia may be an exception.

It would make sense for Necromancers to have the easiest time at this.

I couldn’t disagree more. Necromancers do not live longer than other professions as far as I know. And certainly not beyond 250 years.

Also, there are items say, ascended which belong to other characters which would be weird for them to be available. Joko’s finger cuffs for example lol.

Yeah, it’s been brought up before how perhaps we shouldn’t take the names of certain items as lore. So you’ve got a point there.

I don’t think E has EVER been shown in the game to begin with. If It’s Livia she hasn’t appeared once. If E has been shown, it’s somebody that the players haven’t interacted with much or at all. Or isn’t a character that people are required to interact with.

I think we simply do not know enough about E right now to make that call. E certainly knows us, but he may have heard about ‘The Hero of Shaemoor’, and gotten to us that way.

Dougal Keane could be an example of a possible person. Well knowable about dungeons/events going on, from DR and lives in LA, he knows the characters before they meet him in the city…

It’s possible, but why would he be so secretive about it?

in Lore

Posted by: lnguy.5127

lnguy.5127

Alright, I’m going to go there. E = Elder dragon (Mordremoth). Could explain how E knows of all of Scarlet’s plans. It’s E’s way of making sure we (players) stop Scarlet before she can accomplish her goals (destroying the source of her insanity)….

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Alright, I’m going to go there. E = Elder dragon (Mordremoth). Could explain how E knows of all of Scarlet’s plans. It’s E’s way of making sure we (players) stop Scarlet before she can accomplish her goals (destroying the source of her insanity)….

Umm. I’d love to know how an Elder Dragon grabbed Jory from behind in the middle of Divinity’s Reach without a single soul noticing >.>

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Umm. I’d love to know how an Elder Dragon grabbed Jory from behind in the middle of Divinity’s Reach without a single soul noticing >.>

Mind control. E could have possessed another person’s body to do what he/she did. If it was an Elder Dragon it could have been one of their minions they were speaking through.

With all of the references to the Kurt Russel movie in the coming patch, two new human male hair styles that look to fit the character of Snake Plissken (it would be lame for another primary protagonist to be human though), the existence of Viper medium armour (get it, Viper – snake?), the likelihood that E is a thief type character given the encounter with Marjory and Lion’s Arch is under threat (a place E previously took an interest in protecting) it’s possible E will be a character inspired by Snake Plissken and make his/her first appearance during the invasion of Lion’s Arch. E was unable to intervene during Dragon Bash but wanted to, if he/she is available now, it’s to be expected that E will turn up during the Escape from L.A.

Here’s something I’d like people to explain (in the context of who you believe to be E). This is from the letter that E sent us during Dragon Bash.

You may not know me, but I know you. I’m calling upon you because you’re capable in the face of danger. If you consider yourself a force for good in this world, then I implore you to attend the Dragon Bash ceremony in Lion’s Arch. I’ve heard whispers about a threat to the Ship’s Council and, if left unchecked, to the city itself. I’d intervene myself, but circumstances prevent it.

I’d wish you luck, but luck is what fools and idiots require to stay alive. You, I believe, are neither.

I will surely contact you again,

—E

Where was E during Dragon Bash? What circumstances prevent him/her from intervening? A few popular characters can be seen as unable to intervene (Canach was in jail at the time, Logan has no jurisdiction in LA) but could E have been undercover as an Aetherblade or infiltrating Scarlet’s alliances?

We know characters were involved in Scarlet’s plans without us knowing (Canach was soloing Molten Facilities) and E seems to know a lot about things happening behind the scenes (he/she knew the identity of the necromancer Marjory was chasing, he/she knew about the threat to the Captain’s Council before it happened, he/she knew that a war was coming to Tyria [duh] before the Dead End crew concluded it in the bar). How is E so well informed?

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Lore

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Lord Faren is a Warrior :p

I’m 90% sure I saw him using mesmer skills – no illusions though – during the duel in the Trial of Zamon.

Certainly wields his sword like a mesmer.

Unless they changed it between BWE and release. Because looking at the PS story step on the wiki… Minister Guard Reth I’m pretty sure had a staff with guardian skills. You had choices of two mesmers and two guardians as your seconds initially. I’m pretty sure…

Never did that during the BWE’s only after release- I am pretty sure guard Reth is a ranger now

There is another personal story step where you fight along side Faren- when you go save the hostages from the bandits in Bandihaut.
He is not a bad fighter at all- what I think causes confusion though is that every time I recall him fighting in his town clothes- which of course looks like cloth armor.

My main reason for suspecting him to be E- is that he is really the only one of the personal story NPC’s that makes repeated comebacks in the LS.
He has been pretty prominent really.

I don’t believe for one second that he is really the happy go lucky lecher, goofball he makes himself out to be

Gunnar’s Hold

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Lord Faren is definitely a Warrior. He used only Warrior skills back when I did the Personal Story involving him.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

E being an Elder Dragon seems an extraordinary stretch to me. I doubt they care to write you letters.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )