Ebon Vanguard recall

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Tamias.7059

Tamias.7059

Check out the text of the Founding, in particularly Volumes III, IV, VII, VIII. The purpose of the Ebon Vanguard’s recall and subsequent redeployment in 1080 AE, not long after the events of the Winds of Change “release” in Guild Wars Beyond, was to defend against an enemy from the south that King Adelbern warned was coming. A threat so dire, apparently, that it warranted recalling Ascalon’s finest from the Blood Legion Homelands and preventing them from undermining the charr further.

What was this threat, and how did Adelbern know about it? Moreover, why didn’t anyone else know about it? At this point in time, a mere 10 years before the Foefire, Adelbern’s word is untrustworthy. His heir is dead, his kingdom is in ruins. But this idea didn’t come out of nowhere, and it’s definitely worth further investigation. Certainly, dark events have now befallen the Desert, so his prediction was correct at least in that regard. And the Rise of Ebonhawke would probably have been depicted in Guild Wars Beyond had that continued, which would also have addressed the disappearance of Evennia in Old Ascalon at the conclusion of the Krytan Civil War. So we can assume that those two are somehow linked as well.

So yeah. Anyone else got any ideas? Why we’re on Ebonhawke-related mysteries, by the way, what’s the deal with the abandoned mining village that the Vanguard found there? The kingdom of Ascalon never reached that far south as far as I’m aware, and it’s never mentioned in GW1 (not surprising, as it was a discovery to the Vanguard as well).

The architecture of the buildings is kinda Ascalonian, although that could just be due to modifications made by the settlers. The metal used for the roofing looks to be the same as that of the Deldrimor dwarves, but if it is Deldrimor steel (possible, so close to the mountains), those buildings certainly weren’t built for dwarves. If its inhabitants were non-human, Kimmes didn’t find it remarkable enough to comment on when Nola Sheppard dug up all their corpses (Volume XVII). Where else have we seen that greenish metal? Thre’s the [url=http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/File:"Wizard_Tower"_concept_art.jpg]tower in Wizard’s Folly[/url], another southern Ascalonian landmark with as-of-yet unexplained architecture (although my guess is Seers on this one). The Eye of the North has a greenish appearance in some screenshots, but I can’t recall whether it actually has that or whether it’s just the lighting. Metal of a similar colour is also seen at the Temples of Grenth and Balthazar, but like the others it doesn’t match the construction at Ebonhawke.

Victory Is Life Eternal [VILE]

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Tamias.7059

Here is a short list of candidates that I can think of off the top of my head, and a brief assessment of the viability of each one. I did not manage to find a satisfactory explanation.

• Charr. The Vanguard did indeed encounter charr on their journey south, and Adelbern would be sensible to view them as Ascalon’s biggest threat. And the charr’s attack was preceded by discovery of an animal that’d been torn to shreds (not the charr’s M.O., but whatever), so if that’s what Adelbern was afraid of then that means it was around in 1080. But the Vanguard never expected to find charr so far south (Adelbern could have been embarrassed at his failure to defend the south, I suppose), and are unable to explain their presence there. “Were they leftovers from the failed assault against Orr?”, Kimmes speculates. Doubtful, but charr coming in from the Scavenger’s Causeway is the only explanation for why Adelbern would want a fortification at the mouth of the Crystal Desert, if the threat was charr. But could a lost group of charr, almost a decade after the Cataclysm, pose a credible threat? And how would Adelbern know about them? This one raises more questions than it answers.
  • Ogres. The bulk of these guys arrive in Ascalon sometime between GW1 and GW2, and there’s a good chance we’ve already met them in the Crystal Desert (well, the Desolation). There’s a bunch of them near Ebonhawke in modern times, and we know that they began their push into Ascalon when it was first controlled by the humans (so, within 10 years of the end of GW1). But most of the ogres we see in Ascalon only got there after the Dragonbrand was created, and they came from the Blazeridge Mountains (so, the east), not the south. And how would Adelbern know of this threat, anyway? Reply hazy, try again.
  • Forgotten. Can you tell we’re onto the less probable ideas yet? The Forgotten once inhabited Ascalon, warred with the charr in the foothills of the Blazeridge Mountains, and were ultimately pushed out by the humans. Those that remain also largely dwell in the Desert. But we know the Forgotten aren’t exactly territorial, have never mentioned invading Ascalon before, and are weakened to the extent that they couldn’t pose a credible threat to anyone.
  • Branded. The minions of Kralkatorrik, these are the dragon minions most active in Ascalon. It’s plausible that Adelbern could have somehow learned of their coming (there seems to be plenty of ancient prophecies about). But Kralkatorrik came from the north, and the Branded appear to be slowly making their way south, so placing a settlement between them and the only known passage south wouldn’t seem like a very sensible tactical choice. They are headed in the direction this “threat” would be coming from, so they could be related, but are the Branded themselves the threat? Outlook not so good.
  • Risen. Again, could attack from south, and appear in some ancient prophecy. It’s been suggested since the Movement of the World that the Risen had some presence in the Desert. But other than some Risen creatures, like the giants (and possibly giganticus lupicus) that could have come from the Desert, there was never anything to suggest this in-game.
  • Palawa Joko’s awakened army. Not too likely, but a kitten sight more plausible than some of the suggestions above. They certainly are a threat (although Joko seems more intent on conquering Elona than Ascalon, though that could just be due to the difficulty of getting past Branded and/or Risen forces in the northern Desert), and they do of course come from the south. And they were around at the time of Guild Wars, so it’s quite possible that Adelbern somehow learned of Joko’s plans and wanted to stymie an invasion attempt. But Joko’s plans wouldn’t come to fruition until 50-60 years later, and when they did, they caught the Elonian provinces unprepared. I can’t see Adelbern, a king not exactly known for his shrewdness, learning of and reacting to the threat of Palawa Joko before the Order of Whispers or the Order of the Sunspears, can you?
  • Foefire ghosts. This is the least intriguing possibility, because it would involve a disappointingly large amount of what-could’ve-been foreshadowing, but I suppose it is possible. Adelbern could have sent the Ebon Vanguard to the far south with some settlers and craftsmen so they would be out of range of the Foefire. They could keep the spirit of Ascalon alive in the south while the charr struggled with the former human lands. Former human lands, sure, but not charr lands either. He just didn’t anticipate the determination of the charr to reclaim Ascalon for themselves. This possibility counts on Adelbern having quite a bit more foresight and pragmatism than he is known to display, and would have basically amounted to accepting defeat a decade earlier than he is currently thought to have.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

An option also is that he simply was crazy and wanted the Vanguard out of the picture since it was obvious some people started questioning his rule of the remains of the nation.

And since the Vanguard was so popular…

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Or the threat is in conflict with the Branded as we speak and we will eventually meet said threat once we go through the gate in Ebonhawk(does anyone honestly believe that the Branded are why people are banned from passing that gate despite there already being Branded on their side of said gate!?!).

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

They do leave it an open question rather Adelbern seriously believed there was a threat or if it was just a pretext to remove a segment of his army that was being too friendly with the Krytans. If there was a threat, I suspect he meant the charr force poised to menace Ascalon’s undefended flank. I seriously doubt that he meant anything that’s happened now, over two centuries later.

Alternatively, there is evidence that a scrapped Guild Wars: Beyond plot involved our characters trying to kill Glint. It could be that Adelbern’s predictions were originally intended to be the plot bridge to lead into that.

Side note: I sincerely doubt any of the existing architecture was part of the original mining town, especially given how closely it matches Rurikton and the Ascalon Settlement, other examples of contemporary Ascalonian architecture. From the Ebon Vanguard’s standpoint, it would have made much more sense to tear it all down and use the salvageable materials to help build properly defensible structures.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

The threat that Adelbern foresaw may have been a plot mechanism to get players into a planned GW Beyond storyline in Elona, one we unfortunately never got. If that is the case then it may have involved Palawa Joko’s taking over of Elona.

I am sure that Adelbern did not have this threat on his mind when he recalled the Ebon Vanguard, but that he wanted every soldier for the defense of Ascalon, and said threat was a way to later get rid of the Ebon Vanguard, which enjoyed high popularity among the people of Ascalon.

Most likely not with Adelbern who, maybe because of their connections to Kryta, would rather send his best fighters away to an obscure corner of Ascalon. That Adelbern sent civilians who dared to question his methods into “Exile” together with the Ebon Vanguard speaks for him wanting to get rid of the Ebon Vanguard.

Not something the Adelbern of the original GW would have done, but not unlikely for the person Adelbern was turned into in preparation for GW2. It allowed something of human Ascalon to survive, ironically.

[Yak’s Bend]

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Ghosts of Ascalon, page 282, when Ember tells of the charr’s side of the events on the day of the Foefire.

" ‘The king said, “I have long known that Magdaer had other powers-remnants of the gods themselves. We Ascalonians may be doomed, but Ascalon will live on forever!”’"

It may be that he sent them south to protect them from the Foefire, should it come to that?

Just another possibility. Most likely his madness.

I wish ArenaNet would recontinue the Beyond story stuff. They’d be worth going back to GW1 for. I only don’t play GW1 because I did just about everything there. :/

Not something the Adelbern of the original GW would have done, but not unlikely for the person Adelbern was turned into in preparation for GW2. It allowed something of human Ascalon to survive, ironically.

The “Adelbern of the original GW” is a lot more similar to the “person Adelbern was turned into in preparation for GW2” – there’s very little difference, really. Just a further fall into madness over his lost son.

Adelbern being racist against Krytans and his overly deterministic nature was there since Prophecies.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Adelbern mostly seemed calm at the post titan mission, but that could be taken as being exhausted from the fight.

Otherwise? Yeah post searing he was definitely unstable mentally.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Was Adelbern in ecstasy when he used the Foefire? We must know for it may be that he did so in a mournfully calm voice.

Most people speak calmly while in mourning.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Frosch.7809

It may be that he sent them south to protect them from the Foefire, should it come to that?

Just another possibility. Most likely his madness.

I would like the reason for sending away the Ebon Vanguard to be that Adelbern wanted to protect them, that he hoped that this way something of human Ascalon would survive, but it’s most likely his madness.

I wish ArenaNet would recontinue the Beyond story stuff. They’d be worth going back to GW1 for. I only don’t play GW1 because I did just about everything there. :/

Same for me, i did everything i wanted to do in GW1, but i would return there for more Beyond stuff.

Adelbern mostly seemed calm at the post titan mission, but that could be taken as being exhausted from the fight.

Otherwise? Yeah post searing he was definitely unstable mentally.

So much easier to turn the Charr into “good guys” by turning Adelbern into a madman, which he wasn’t during the quest The last day dawns: http://i61.tinypic.com/9r2lpi.jpg

[Yak’s Bend]

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

That’s about the only post searing time when he ’wasn’t mad’.

I shall mention the fact he was perfectly willing to arrest the white mantle Ambassador, try him for treason and (most likely) exacute him.

For what actions? Being a Krytan and offering aid. Blowing up at Rurik for suggesting they go to Kryta to regroup and gain strength at the least.

As said, his strange calmness could simply be exhaustion both physical and mental as of that moment.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Frosch.7809

That’s about the only post searing time when he ’wasn’t mad’.

I shall mention the fact he was perfectly willing to arrest the white mantle Ambassador, try him for treason and (most likely) exacute him.

For what actions? Being a Krytan and offering aid. Blowing up at Rurik for suggesting they go to Kryta to regroup and gain strength at the least.

As said, his strange calmness could simply be exhaustion both physical and mental as of that moment.

Rurik called Adelbern a fool in public. While Adelbern obviously overreacts (and apparently regrets it later) no king in a medieval world would tolerate such. I do not hold much sympathy for Adelbern, but to me he seems to be very emotional, full of hatred for the Charr (and the Krytans), not a stable person, but not mad in the meaning of being on his way to insanity.

And it is likely that the Krytan Ambassador made his offer to Ascalon on behalf of his masters the Mursaat, so that they could look for the Chosen among the Ascalonians. Remember the Chosen were said to bring the demise to the Mursaat in the Flameseeker Prophecies. While it allowed some Ascalonians to survive in Kryta the instincts of Adelbern were most likely correct.

Adelbern was turned into a madman in the novel Ghosts of Ascalon, even more so than he is in the actual game imo. It’s more like Rytlock is demonizing Adelbern at every possible occasion. Much easier than to admit that the Charr were not exactly heroes back then.

[Yak’s Bend]

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

And it is likely that the Krytan Ambassador made his offer to Ascalon on behalf of his masters the Mursaat, so that they could look for the Chosen among the Ascalonians… the instincts of Adelbern were most likely correct.

While it seems reasonable in retrospect, we’re working on information that Adelbern didn’t have at the time. His thoughts weren’t “I know his gods want to kill my people”; they were “He’s Krytan, therefore, he is the enemy”. I agree that GW2 did alter his character to make the charr easier to sympathize with, but it was no great departure from what we saw in the first game.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Rurik called Adelbern a stubborn fool when he went after the ambassador as well, infront of his guards and the characters no less. That time he stomped off.

The Krytan ambassador came giving supplies FREELY to Orphanages, and offering more aid. Not once was “chosen” involved or mentioned. The White Mantle freely let the Ascalonian refugees settle (in a secluded part, but settle still), and left them alone, even after the Mursaat got ousted. They only went after them during the War in Kryta (which was a few years after that event).

YES, they may have had dark motives (More converts, more chosen being found, etc), but the White Mantle was kitten good at hiding it. Pretty much outside of the Shining blade, and the heroes who are forced to see it firsthand, pretty much the general populace was fine with them. Sure some were worse then others, but overall it was okay.

Adelbern may have been correct in doubting the ambassador, but he literally went after the guy to try him for Treason when ALL HE HAD DONE WAS GIVE SUPPLIES TO ORPHANAGES, as well as being Krytan.

Not the actions of a sane, rational man.

Nobody says the Charr were heroes back then (much less from the player viewpoint). Hell, you can find Charr who downright called the actions of the Flame Legion as of that time period evil and villainous.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Frosch.7809

Anyone becoming a citizen of Kryta would most likely have been included in the “Testing of the Chosen”, but as i said going to Kryta allowed some Ascalonians to survive and was the right decision at the time.

Of course it was Adelbern’s hatred wanting him to persecute the Krytan ambassador, and no great difference between Adelbern in GW1 and 2, nothing to disagree there.

Still, there is a difference imo, between being mentally unstable and being insane. One could argue that it was a logical development, but it could as well have gone differently, but didn’t for the sake of GW2 lore.

[Yak’s Bend]

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

So much easier to turn the Charr into “good guys” by turning Adelbern into a madman, which he wasn’t during the quest The last day dawns: http://i61.tinypic.com/9r2lpi.jpg

Adelbern was mad even before that quest, however. Or at least, obviously meant to be.

From the Prophecies Manual: He’s older now, and though he’s a well-liked king, his insistence that the army can hold back the beasts from the north has started the people whispering to each other in the streets. Not everyone agrees with the king on this matter.

From a side-quest in Prophecies (first we see him in post-Searing):

King Adelbern: “Stand aside, Rurik.”
Prince Rurik: “Before you do this, Father, think about your motives.”
King Adelbern: “That Krytan is a cancer on the underbelly of Ascalon. I need no further motive than that to cut him away before he does more harm.”
Prince Rurik: “Ambassador Zain is here to offer us aid. He extends his hand in friendship.”
King Adelbern: “No Krytan will ever be a friend of Ascalon.”
Prince Rurik: “Do not be foolish, old man! If you have not noticed, Ascalon is in no position to turn away help, even from those who were once our enemies.”
King Adelbern: “I grow tired of this, Rurik. Step aside this instant! We are here to arrest Ambassador Zain and try him as a traitor of this nation.”
Prince Rurik: “I will not allow you to jeopardize the fate of Ascalon because of your petty jealousy! If you intend to arrest the ambassador, then you will first have to go through me.”
Prince Rurik: “Go home father. Let me deal with this.”
King Adelbern: “This is a mistake, Rurik. Mark my words. This Krytan will be the death of us all.”
King Adelbern: “Guards. With me.”

From the fourth Prophecies mission (second we see him in post-Searing):

Prince Rurik: “Trumpets! The king must be near. The fall of Rin will have darkened his heart. Hail King Adelbern!”
King Adelbern: “Rise, my son. you have done well. The discovery of Stormcaller is surely a sign of victory.”
Prince Rurik: “It is a powerful weapon, but I fear not powerful enough. The Charr have amassed an army of many thousands.”
King Adelbern: “You overestimate these beasts, Rurik. Do not be afraid.”
Prince Rurik: “I am not afraid, father. I have seen them in battle. Rin has been destroyed! It would be wise to escape while we can. We should make for Kryta and rebuild our strength. Not wait here for death.”
King Adelbern: “I will never allow Ascalons to live in the shadow of the Krytans! It is Rin that will be rebuilt. And you will learn your place.”
Prince Rurik: “You have grown proud, Adelbern of Ascalon…proud and foolish!”
King Adelbern: “You would dare call your king a fool? I will hear no more. I banish you from Ascalon! You are no longer my prince, and you are no longer my son!”
Prince Rurik: “People of Rin! Your king will lead you to death. If you wish to see better days, if you wish to live, then leave the beasts behind and follow me over the Shiverpeaks. We make for Kryta and a new life, free of the Charr.”

And I disagree that he seems perfectly sane in The Last Day Dawns:

“A long time have I fought for Ascalon. First as a soldier blessed by Balthazar, now as its king. Though I have survived one more battle, and I will see another day, it will not make me any more wise… only one day older. I have lost all that a man can lose. All that I have left is this antiquated set of armor and the remains of this tattered kingdom. I thank you for your help today. Rurik would have been very proud of all you have accomplished.”

These are the words of a tired old man who’s being pushed to his edge. He’s on the brink here, and I’ve seen it as such since I began playing in 2006.

Still, there is a difference imo, between being mentally unstable and being insane. One could argue that it was a logical development, but it could as well have gone differently, but didn’t for the sake of GW2 lore.

18 years is more enough time to go from mentally unstable to being insane when your situation is turning worse and worse.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Since he makes his last stand in Ascalon City, it’s likely Rin was completely destroyed, or other cities ruined to the point of not being livable (well, livable for post searing Ascalon… do we ever get a timeframe of how long it was before it started healing?). That, with mounting losses, more and more civilians/soldiers questioning him or starting to despare…

Very easy to see him dropping from foolishly stubborn with a hint of madness to insane. IIRC, GW2/books outright state he launched the foefire upon seeing his remaining soldiers start running for their lives after the Charr breached the gates to Ascalon city.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Frosch.7809

Adelbern’s lines in The Last Day Dawns actually made me think that he seemed more in touch with reality than before. I never saw him as insane or on the brink of it, just blinded by hatred, selfish in his desire to defend his kingdom despite its people suffering, and unable to change.

Seeing the available material i can’t see something that convinces me of Adelbern being insane during the times of GW1 (and i mean real time till the appearance of GW2 material like Ghosts of Ascalon or the Movement of the world article).

I understand that others may have a different impression and that they may not share my opinion, which is perfectly fine.

18 years is more enough time to go from mentally unstable to being insane when your situation is turning worse and worse.

1090 is outside of GW1’s storyline already, which ends in 1080. I consider it as belonging to GW2 lore. Feel free to consider Adelbern insane at that point, which is most likely the truth.

[Yak’s Bend]

(edited by Frosch.7809)

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Not insane, but definitely not stable.

Normal people don’t want to execute somebody simply for being of another nation and offering aid :P

Note, 1080 is where Ebon Vanguard come down from the North, the same year where Adelburn basically kicks ANYBODY who questioned him into the expedition, and as they left the city dozens more families joined them.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I was more talking of the logic of it happening, rather than saying 1090 is GW1 lore.

Even 1080 would count as GW2 lore, honestly speaking, as Beyond was made to lead into GW2’s created-but-unreleased lore.

You’d have to go up to the BMP at the furthest in development.

Dear ANet writers,

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Tamias.7059

An option also is that he simply was crazy and wanted the Vanguard out of the picture since it was obvious some people started questioning his rule of the remains of the nation.

The Vanguard were already out of the picture – in the Far Shiverpeaks, they were further away than they were in Ebonhawke, and what’s more were actually disrupting the charr offensive from behind enemy lines. It doesn’t make political or tactical sense to recall them to Ascalon and put as much distance between the charr and them as possible.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

The Vanguard were already out of the picture – in the Far Shiverpeaks, they were further away than they were in Ebonhawke, and what’s more were actually disrupting the charr offensive from behind enemy lines. It doesn’t make political or tactical sense to recall them to Ascalon and put as much distance between the charr and them as possible.

By the paranoia theory, his decision was to distance them from the Krytans, who they were too close to- close enough to treasonously divert Ascalonian soldiers from where their place was to some insignificant Krytan squabble. Krytans killing Krytans? No true Ascalonian would want to stop that!

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Perhaps he recalled them to reinforce his own dwindling forces and numbers, but when they arrived he saw how popular they were.

After talking to them/hearing about them more (perhaps how friendly they had been with Krytans? or their views on other things), he decided they were a ‘threat’ to his rule and thus sent them south, alongside with anybody else who questioned him.

Theory purely, but possible.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Tamias.7059

It’s quite possible that Adelbern’s feelings toward the Krytans played a role in some way, either as punishment for the Vanguard for fleeing to Kryta with Rurik, or trying to keep them away from the Krytans, having heard of the Vanguard’s involvement with the Krytan civil war (although Captain Langmar’s death should be motivation enough for the Vanguard in that regard).

In either event, I’m convinced the disappearance of Evennia would be somehow important to Adelbern’s decision. Maybe it was her who warned of the impending threat, whatever it may be? But then how would she know, and why the vanishing act?

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

I’m of the thought Adelbern was behind Evennia disappearing.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Yeah. He tried to do it once before, and this time Rurik wasn’t around to restrain him.

Ebon Vanguard recall

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Yeah. He tried to do it once before, and this time Rurik wasn’t around to restrain him.

Exactly. Both diplomats were made to wait outside AC for a while, then Adelbern went after the white mantle one, only stopped by Rurik.

Evennia had nobody like Rurik to stop him.