Eirsson and Norn Naming Conventions

in Lore

Posted by: Mortifact.3102

Mortifact.3102

So how much of a joke is Bro-ham’s name? I’m not really familiar with Norn naming conventions (there’s so little lore about them), that I’m not sure if this is normal for Norn or did the living world writers just want to make this REALLY obvious?

in Lore

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

His name is Braham. Which seems to be an uncommon way of spelling the name “Bram”. Norn first names are typically nordic (though I think “Bram” is more of a English or Dutch name and not a nordic name), while last names (if they have one and not a title) are patronymic or matronymic. For example, “Stegalkin” means the “kin” of Stegal. “Eirsson” means son of Eir.

http://guildwars2roleplay.wikispaces.com/Naming+Conventions#Names for Major Races-Norn

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s actually a good deal of info on norn naming conventions. I’ll just quote GW2W on surnames:

Their surnames can vary in a multitude of styles. Norn without any achievements or legends have surnames after one of their parents (father/mother’s first name followed by -sson or -dottir or a variant thereof); this is most commonly seen in children, and they’re named after the more famous of their parents even if they do not like said parent (e.g., Braham Eirsson). Surnames do not get adopted from generation to generation and they can be changed by the individual to fit their own personal legend (e.g., a famous Wolfborn member took the surname Wolfsdottir); married couples may not always share surnames either (though some may, e.g., Knut and Gaerta Whitebear). Some norn may also take titles instead of a surname if it fits them and their legend more (e.g., Borje the Sun Chaser).

In short: Braham is named “Eirsson” because he has no legend, so his surname is basically to say “I’m the child of this more-famous-than-me person”.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

^ Yep, and once Braham builds his legend a bit more (maybe at the end of this arc?) he’ll likely change his last name to something better.

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Braham Andcheese?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Braham Saladtosser

Obviously. Cuz he’s going to toss Scarlet down her drill. Vadar style.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

We can’t use Saladtosser. More filthy-minded players would have a field day with it. XD

Braham Scarletslayer has a nice ring to it.

in Lore

Posted by: Mortifact.3102

Mortifact.3102

Wow thanks guys wasn’t aware that Norn had an established system! Makes a lot more sense now. Haha I’d love to see both Bro-ham (I know it’s actually Braham), and Rox’s surnames change after season 1 of the living story for warband/legend reasons.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

@Zaxares: That’s exactly why I jokingly said Saladtosser. Scarletslayer would be far more likely, if it gets changed.

Who knows, maybe for once it will be the PC taking recognition for a non-negative action than some NPC who stood nearby and “helped.”

Heh, right.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

We got to be Saviour of Tyria 250 years ago, I guess the dev’s decided that was more than enough?

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Braham Baconslayer? Braham Hamhoarder?

Scarlet is defeated. Taimi, Rox and Braham decide to have a victory celebration at Meatoberfest. Braham is testing out Taimi’s gifted ham glazer (a thank you for his help in the Mists inspired by his incessant rambling endearing stories about how much he loves ham), but it’s too complex for him to use (excessive consumption of ale didn’t help), resulting in a fiery explosion near the meat racks . Charred ham rains down from the sky across the Diessa Plateau. The legend of Braham Hamstorm is born.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

As much as I enjoy these hammy meat jokes, I think Braham Briarbane has a nicer ring to it.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: moomooo.9357

moomooo.9357

Braham the Babysitter

in Lore

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

I like Aaron’s Triple B version better :P…

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah that’s good Aaron! If they don’t use that then they’re crazy.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Remember the “title” is Icelandic in nature: Braham
Scarlet slay: Scarletdrepr.
Bacon lover: Beikonelskhugi.

Another one that has a nice ring to it is Scarletveiðimaðurinn (Scarlet hunter).

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Remember the “title” is Icelandic in nature: Braham
Scarlet slay: Scarletdrepr.
Bacon lover: Beikonelskhugi.

Another one that has a nice ring to it is Scarletveiðimaðurinn (Scarlet hunter).

Not really, norns use “english” titles, like Asgeir Dragonrender and Knut Whitebear

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Lore

Shiren.9532

As much as I enjoy these hammy meat jokes, I think Braham Briarbane has a nicer ring to it.

If Braham does eventually forge his own legend and earn a more impressive name I would hope it would have more to do with a personal journey and accomplishment than a team effort he happens to be a part of. If Scarlet gets taken down, it’s going to be a team effort, the players, hopefully the orders, and the other characters are all going to play a role. It’s one thing for Rox to ride the player’s (and hylek and Vigil’s) coat tails with Tequatl, but for Braham to take on the moniker denoting him taking down Scarlet, that wouldn’t feel like a personal achievement worthy of an individual’s legend.

I don’t know the strict rules of norn naming conventions, but it feels like cheating if team work is involved. If during the battle for Lion’s Arch Braham solos Scarlet and takes her down himself, by all means. I think we know that won’t happen. If he earns a name for a role he plays in the final battle (maybe he pulls a River Tam on the Molten Alliance) that would be a different story (and a different name).

I’d rather see Braham have some personal journeys and challenges in season 2 of the Living Story where he earns a name off of personal accomplishments.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Not really, norns use “english” titles, like Asgeir Dragonrender and Knut Whitebear

I raise you “dottir” and “sson”.

Apparently both are used. Either you must have missed the humor in my post.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I raise you “dottir” and “sson”.

Apparently both are used. Either you must have missed the humor in my post.

I meant "also use english … " and yes, I missed

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

in Lore

Posted by: Bigtony.5089

Bigtony.5089

If Braham does eventually forge his own legend and earn a more impressive name I would hope it would have more to do with a personal journey and accomplishment than a team effort he happens to be a part of. If Scarlet gets taken down, it’s going to be a team effort, the players, hopefully the orders, and the other characters are all going to play a role. It’s one thing for Rox to ride the player’s (and hylek and Vigil’s) coat tails with Tequatl, but for Braham to take on the moniker denoting him taking down Scarlet, that wouldn’t feel like a personal achievement worthy of an individual’s legend.

I don’t know the strict rules of norn naming conventions, but it feels like cheating if team work is involved. If during the battle for Lion’s Arch Braham solos Scarlet and takes her down himself, by all means. I think we know that won’t happen. If he earns a name for a role he plays in the final battle (maybe he pulls a River Tam on the Molten Alliance) that would be a different story (and a different name).

I’d rather see Braham have some personal journeys and challenges in season 2 of the Living Story where he earns a name off of personal accomplishments.

Don’t forget that Braham is a follower of the spirit of the Wolf, which love teamplay, so it will not be cheated for him to gain legends by a teamwork effort.

in Lore

Shiren.9532

So if a group of norn work together and they all take down Scarlet, would they all get the name Briarthorn if it was more impressive than their current legend and they wanted it? Are there any examples in game of norn who achieved something as part of a group but they themselves took on a name because of it?

Eir Stegalkin is part of the group that took down Zhaitan and her totem is the Wolf Spirit so she too should value team play. Do you think it would make sense for Eir to take on the title of Zhaitanslayer? Following the Personal Story, the defeat of Zhaitan has very little to do with Eir (she’s a part of three dungeons and the defeat of Zhaitan is the end result of the allied forces combined efforts – air ships, weapons technology, found artifacts, lieutenants killed, Orrian research etc) but she is part of the final assault. I put more weight into a norn’s name and legend than that. If Eir could that name, wouldn’t all the norn involved in the defeat of Zhaitan claim the name? How does that fit in with your personal legend? As far as I know, the defeat of Zhaitan is the most significant achievement in all of Tyria, claiming that as your personal legend would be more impressive than any other name.

Is a norn’s name so loosely acquired? I thought a norn’s name had more value than that (leaving room for boasting and embellishment or straight up lies). Part of being a good team member means sharing the credit with your team, I would argue that being a follower of wolf Braham is less likely to take on a personal name that takes credit for team work. Even though other members of the team aren’t norn and won’t take on a new name after that accomplishment, what does it say about an individual who’s new name claims credit for something the entire team did?

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Norn don’t work in groups. They would have all tried to outdo one another and the one who had somehow killed her the most would take the title.

Also I think their achievement has to be notable – as in other Norn have to acknowledge that what they have done or do is worthy enough of a title.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Norn can work in groups.

Just small groups. And they’d be followers of Wolf.

It isn’t like all norn would be so individualistic that they couldn’t even work with another individual for the same goal.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Of course, but even in a group I imagine they would be trying to best one another. Norn may not be wholly individualistic – their society wouldn’t function if they were – but they do value personal achievement very highly.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Group achievement is still achievement.

I don’t think that they could build Hoelbrak if everyone was trying to do it their own way.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Elricht Kaltwind.8796

Group achievement is still achievement.

I don’t think that they could build Hoelbrak if everyone was trying to do it their own way.

Yes but norn have no need for armies. We are norn.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

The surname probably works like: the Roman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognomen and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnomen.