EotM Thumper Theorycrafting

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I’m going to throw down some theories on this while I wait for EotM to open. I may flesh this out later – rush typing it so that I can zergy zerg in EotM. I have two theories:

Meta-reality Measurements
Real-life scenario: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gravitational-wave-ligo/ – more specifically – http://www.kipnews.org/2012/01/17/scientific-evidence-that-the-entire-universe-is-a-holographic-projection-around-the-earth/ (happily this theory has since been disproved – but was legitimate science at the time)

Scarlet was using the thumpers to locate the EotM by sending out seismic waves and measuring how they behave. Slight variances from the normal could indicate some form of pattern (that would allow a portal) into the meta-reality (Mists). The thumper turning green could indicate that a suitable location (or time) to open a portal. The interesting fact being that the Lion’s Arch one will/opened first – inclining me to believe that it was/will be the first appropriate location (based on there possibly being a permanent portal in LA).

This is also confirmed by NPCs talking about “measurements.”

The only problem with this is that it goes far beyond the level of physics the average person understands. This isn’t something I would present to a wide audience.

Gathering Energy

Scarlet could have been using the thumpers to (a) locate the ley lines and (b) extract and store energy from them. Ripping open a portal to EotM would presumably require substantial amounts energy (magic in Tyria). The one in LA may have turned green as it would have acquired enough energy to open the LA portal.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

1- the edge of the mists isn’t her final objective. you can deduct this from a technical, out-of-lore standpoint (the actual edge of the mists have very little living story content, because the devs don’t want to force LS into WvW too much, not to mention we have two releases left), or you could explain from a gameplay standpoint: she ripped open that portal before the probes started turning green. so the probes were still on search mode long after she found the edge of the mists.

2- the probes are, well, probes. they’re looking for stuff. they’re not gathering devices.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Doesn’t the presence of probes in EotM discount a lot of possibilities for what Scarlet could be looking for? For example, Primordius is not in the mists – he’s in Tyria. Why would Scarlet look for Primordius using probes in the mists (on a floating island for that matter)? I’m making a few assumptions about the EotM here (I haven’t seen the live version yet) but if there are probes there, I think it discounts a lot of things.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Doesn’t the presence of probes in EotM discount a lot of possibilities for what Scarlet could be looking for? For example, Primordius is not in the mists – he’s in Tyria. Why would Scarlet look for Primordius using probes in the mists (on a floating island for that matter)? I’m making a few assumptions about the EotM here (I haven’t seen the live version yet) but if there are probes there, I think it discounts a lot of things.

pretty sure there are no probes, just things on the desert keep that share the same model (but completely different special effects).

if you spend some time with taimi at your spawn, she brings up that the probes are for leylines.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

She also explains that the entire reason for her predicament is because of probes on that map. There’s a cluster of three under the center

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

She also explains that the entire reason for her predicament is because of probes on that map. There’s a cluster of three under the center

yeah, i saw those now that the map is open, but we now know the reason behind the probes, it makes me wonder if there’s any real reason to have those probes there other than match taimi’s story (or rather, to make her golem break).

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

We only know that she is interested in the mists.
As far as we know the Aetherblades are the conquer a piece of it for a forward base.

Which would make sense, if you ask me.
The mists are outside the normal reality, making it a perfect hiding spot because it is a new undiscovered area (if they didn`t leave he door wide open with their portal there).

However, in my honest opionion it is just a way to shoehorn this content update into the story somehow (as far as we know at least)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

She could just be collecting a sample while she’s there to compare how the magic flow in the Mists compares to that of Tyria. Keep in mind that we haven’t a friggen clue what she wants with these ley lines yet, just that she’s willing to start a war for them.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I agree with Ansari; these thumpers are probably just more triangulation attempts. If the ley line she wants is under Lion’s and EoTM connects to Lion’s, then perhaps the ley lines reach into the mists as well. There could be just enough energy from the ley line there (or a different line,) to help her pinpoint it.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i think a bit of clarification on leylines could be useful:

from my understanding, the ley lines aren’t like “rivers of magic”, which could reach into the mists. magic is everywhere, and those leylines are just the currents through which magic flows, like air currents. this means that they’re possibly subject to change if the circumstances change (like how weather affects air currents on earth), and that they are a “common occurrence” wherever magic exists. so the mists would have their own leylines, not an extension of tyria’s leylines.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

Which is why I said “or a different line.” In all likelihood you’re right; the mists probably has its own leylines. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the lines in the mists are connected to Tyria’s lines somehow, particularly in places with connecting asura gates.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

Keep in mind that Dead End dialogue completely debunked my theories

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Which is why I said “or a different line.” In all likelihood you’re right; the mists probably has its own leylines. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the lines in the mists are connected to Tyria’s lines somehow, particularly in places with connecting asura gates.

at first it sounds plausible: a portal to the mists would be like opening a window for the leylines to pass through. but the mists and tyria are two separate things (sort of). as far as we know, magic from the mists can’t leak to tyria, and vice versa. or else the mists portals, connections and instabilities would either overflow tyria with magic, or dry it out.