Fionghuala skritt deserve our help?

in Lore

Posted by: Xanadhi.4615

Xanadhi.4615

One of the quests in Timberline Falls is to help the Fionghuala skritt (cave in middle of map) prepare defenses… yet when you enter the cave nearly all of them are drunk, aggressive and like to attack you in swarms. It really doesn’t make me want to help them. It makes me want to help whoever wants to demolish them! It’s kind of mind-boggling. Maybe a design oversight?

in Lore

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Fionghuala is one of 2 chief skritt in that place. The other one thought it was an awesome idea to brew beer and drink all day. Fionghuala disagree to this, mindless, behaviour and that skritt should work and not just drink all the time. Your help is to stop this drunken behaviour of the skritt. This is stopped by some asura that have lab nearby, thinking that the brewing machine thing is actually some devious device, as part of a small event chain (2 events).

See makes sense Sort of. Been farming that event for xp on my charr thief with some guildies lol

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Lore

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

That’s a bit of a weird one. Those skritt are brewing alcohol. There’s an asura that goes on a dynamic event to destroy what they believe is a skritt weapon. They end up blowing up the skritt distillery.

Once the distillery blows up they are no longer hostile.

in Lore

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Several DE areas make clear that Skritt behave extremely unpredictably (often increasing in aggression) when they drink alcohol. So I think the alcohol involved here is the key factor in how they act toward the PC.

In several cases, too, we’re helping groups not so much because they deserve it, but because they are useful to the Pact. I think that may be the case here, since Timberline is a somewhat strategic area as a buffer for Orr. It would be much better to have an ally in that location than an enemy or even a neutral party.

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Be careful – what you’re saying is “people who destroy their lives through alcoholism don’t deserve help.” :P

Those skritt are a danger to themselves and others because they consume alcohol irresponsibly. The heart NPC, as Zeefa said, does not approve of this and wants help getting his people back under control. Sure, it’s a little unorthodox, but it does make sense when you get the whole picture.

in Lore

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Be careful – what you’re saying is “people who destroy their lives through alcoholism don’t deserve help.” :P

No, I think the “aggressive” and “attack you” parts are also key to the issue.

The problem isn’t that the Skritt are imbibing intemperately, it’s that the PC is in actual physical danger from their behaviour when trying to provide help as a result. It’s not their own lives that the Skritt may be destroying – it’s also the lives of the potential rescuers themselves at risk.

I think your explanation that followed is a good one, but the issue isn’t quite what’s stated here. It’s more like saying “Is it really wise to help someone who may physically harm you in the process?”, which is a much more complex moral dilemma.

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Put it this way, it’s certainly risky to help someone who might injure you in the process, but if you agree that they need help I think it follows that it’s the right thing to do to help them. That still leaves the option of saying “it might be the right thing to do, but I’m not willing to put myself in danger to do it!”

Maybe it’s just that, in my hubris, I don’t see those skritt as really a threat, even if they are hostile :P They’re dangerous to everyone else in the area too, so I crack a few heads, make a point, and tell them to be more careful next time. Hero, away!

in Lore

Posted by: Xanadhi.4615

Xanadhi.4615

Hehe thanks for all the input, that certainly makes the situation much more sensible now. Still, it’s annoying to go in there thinking, “I’m gonna help you guys!” and then get swarmed by all these skritt that pop out of nowhere. Such an odd species…