Gargoyles in the Mad Realm

in Lore

Posted by: jinx.2813

jinx.2813

I opened i Haunted Door in Queensdale and i saw the name ‘Gargoyle’ along a being that looked like a GW1 Gargoyle but with red see through stuff on it,i didnt make a screenshot but i’ll try to if i encounter this again,has anybody seen somethign siilar?

in Lore

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

I also wanted to open a topic about this! I’m curious, especially because “1185AE Gargoyles mysteriously vanish from Ascalon”…

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Having just found a door which has Gargoyles, I’ll first say they don’t look at all like GW1 gargoyles. They were using the griffon and rock dog frames, but a new skin to make them look more… destroyer like, tbh. A mixture of rock and red glows.

It made me remember concept art I saw titled Gargoyle, though not the same rather similar in concept:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/e/e2/Gargoyle_concept_art.jpg

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

they are griffons on fire. i thought of that too, but i think that those aren’t the gargoyles you know from lore.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

That was my thought too. Imps would probably have been a better model to reskin for GW1-style gargoyles.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: MaesterTed.6571

MaesterTed.6571

Exactly. I’m really quite curious as to wether or not those are the gargoyles we all know and love (to hate?).

Them looking nothing like the GW1 gargoyles doesn’t mean a thing though. The krait got almost completely remodelled as well.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As did skelk, drakes, giants, and quite a few other creatures.

Though what makes me curious is the fiery look on them.

(waits patiently for the “they’re tied to Primordus” speculatory shouts)

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

EVERYTHING RELATED TO FIRE IS TIED TO PRIMORDUS. THE HOUNDS OF BALTHAZAR ARE ACTUALLY DESTROYER PUPPIES.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

EVERYTHING RELATED TO FIRE IS TIED TO PRIMORDUS. THE HOUNDS OF BALTHAZAR ARE ACTUALLY DESTROYER PUPPIES.

Given the number of times I’ve seen someone try to line up the gods with the dragons, and Balthazar-Primordus is the easy one…

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Actually, my reason for that was the apparent love of people suspecting that the gargoyle’s disappearance is due to the Elder Dragons – similarly, folks tie them with the underground, and they’re made of stone and now with a fiery appearance….

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

didn’t they vanish like, way before primordus even shows up, but still way after the first destroyer sighting?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Way after both. Gargoyles disappeared in 1185 AE, Primordus awoke in 1120 AE. But still, people had made a small connection in the past. :P Not that I think it’s likely.

In fact, I’d go so far as to say that 1185 AE may have been the last time that Oswald Thorn appeared on Tyria prior to this year, and that’s why the Gargoyles disappeared. Though I think it’s been said Thorn wasn’t seen in “over 250 years” (which in of itself is slightly false, considering he was seen in either 1079 or 1080 – 245/6 years prior to GW2).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

^ well this halloween is the 500th anniversary of his death, if promotional info can be considered lore, and according to other info, he was dead for 250 years during GW1.

so i doubt he is involved with gargoyles.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, do we even know how old gargoyles are? And for that matter, something doesn’t have to be older than you to influence you. :P

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i’m not talking about age, just saying that it doesn’t match your theory that he disappeared together with the gargoyles. if you do the math, he stopped appearing immediately after GW1’s time.

in Lore

Posted by: Icdan Sevaen.4628

Icdan Sevaen.4628

So, just because he hasn’t been seen you assume that he hasn’t been around? You can’t know :P

in Lore

Posted by: Kaveck.1532

Kaveck.1532

Maybe the Gargoyles we see in GW1 are just possessed statues? Maybe Gargoyles were always in the Mad Realm and we only saw them because they chose to take over the carved sculptures? Now we are seeing them without the statue form?

Or maybe they had a drastic model change? I have no idea, but it is interesting to see them flying out of the doors.

in Lore

Posted by: MaesterTed.6571

MaesterTed.6571

There appear to be multiple models for the gargoyles. Just now, I encountered this version.

They lack the wings, and appear to be based on the rock dog model, or something.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Blob.2863

Blob.2863

Heres another skin for Gargoyles, they look like flaming owl griffins.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

well…at it’s core a gargoyleis just a statue that was attached to the side of a building to control water shed that has come to life. it’s appearance is quite flexable.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t believe that explanation was ever given in lore for what gargoyles were, Rehashed. As far as we know, gargoyles were merely creatures with stone that had mesmeric or elementalist abilities, and enjoyed being in high places (as well as were numerous in the Ascalonian Catacombs).

Dear ANet writers,