"Gorr's Theory" and "Vekk's Thesis"

in Lore

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

Playing through the Personal Story, a though occurred to me.
- Vekk’s Thesis about the remaining Elder Dragons consuming the magic of a slain Elder Dragon suggests that already about 250 years back, there was knowledge, or at the very least a theory, that Elder Dragons consumed magic.

- It’s such a big deal in the Peronal Story, when Gorr reveals this theory, but Vekk were already over 200 years ahead of Gorr.
- When did the Durmand Priory come into possession of Vekk’s Thesis? And how come it wasn’t already common knowledge to the Priory, then?

Something I missed somewhere that would explain this?

in Lore

Sinifair.1026

I will throw it out here that I realize the mission is as much about proving the theory, but Gorr is also set up to have come up with the theory itself.
- Even if it is about proving it, I would have suspected Vekk to have tested his theory, or some other mad asuran genius at some point in between Vekk coming up with this thesis and the present (present being during the Personal Story, seeing as the Living World progresses the timeline as well).

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Gadd’s The Six: Being or Playing God also has this issue.

People have pointed out to me that in the end of Asura Chapter 3, Flax says (in all three endings): “We know, Professor. We’ve always known. Preparations are being made to exploit your “discovery” for Rata Sum’s benefit even as we speak." And speculate that Gadd knew of the dragons and that they consume magic somehow and this was how the Arcane Council knew, but hid, this information.

But that would be a huge Asspull – moreso for Gadd, since he died when the asura thought Primordus to be nothing but a statue that spewed out magic (and as such, knew nothing about the Elder Dragons for another 50 years). Vekk can be argued as something he found out after GW1 but didn’t spread for xyz reason, though it is still an asspull.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Even if Vekk didn’t spread it around, the Priory keeping it hushed up still seems in direct opposition to their attempts to publicize Gorr’s belief in the PS. The only way it works is if it was a long-lost writing that just so happened to be conveniently discovered in the last two years.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Many Asura would probably claim that they knew something all along even if they didn’t.

in Lore

Sinifair.1026

People have pointed out to me that in the end of Asura Chapter 3, Flax says (in all three endings): “We know, Professor. We’ve always known. Preparations are being made to exploit your “discovery” for Rata Sum’s benefit even as we speak." And speculate that Gadd knew of the dragons and that they consume magic somehow and this was how the Arcane Council knew, but hid, this information.

Played that part yesterday on my Asuran engineer, and I wondered if that actually meant that the Council already knew of such theories.

Still, I wonder whether or not it would be best to do like the Arcane Council and cover up this thread.
- It is mayhap just a minor slip up from ANet’s part, and I did feel treated, being a GW1 vet, with all the references and lore in the library, so I’ll be willing to overlook it.

The key thing to take away from Vekk’s Thesis is the potential that other Elder Dragons simply become stronger, if we’re to kill one of them, meaning that each Dragon we face will cause even more casualties… unless, as has been theorized (I did think of it myself, but I think everyone had this thought) that if Glint’s egg will hatch a Dragon that is on our side, then it might conveniently enough be able to absorb the magic that is released when an Elder Dragon dies, i.e. making it stronger.

(edited by Sinifair.1026)

in Lore

Posted by: Darkbattlemage.9612

Darkbattlemage.9612

that if Glint’s egg will hatch a Dragon that is on our side, then it might conveniently enough be able to absorb the magic that is released when an Elder Dragon dies, i.e. making it stronger.

Question what’s stopping the Elder Dragon Energy from transforming Glint’s child into yet another Elder Dragon bent on consuming all life on the planet?

I’m the Asura Elementalist that stole all your cookies, well except the oatmeal ones.
Chaos always finds a way, who you think Evil learned it from?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Personality and upbringing, most likely.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Sinifair.1026

Question what’s stopping the Elder Dragon Energy from transforming Glint’s child into yet another Elder Dragon bent on consuming all life on the planet?

I guess Glint herself would be the response to such a question. She used to be a lieutenant of Kralkatorrik. With some help from the Forgotten she gained her free will from the control of the Elder Dragon. I would think her child is without his control as well.

Still, there is the matter of whether or not Glint’s child would contain the magic or if it goes to sleep like the Elder Dragons have, and then continue the cycle with waking up after its long slumber only to wreak havoc as it absorbs said magic again… or maybe it is more peaceful and absorbs the magic without all the chaos and destruction, when he wakes up. Or mayhap it won’t be able to control the intensity with which it absorbs the magic i.e. leaving us with the chaos and destruction scenario again.

- I presume it would become an extremely powerful entity, with dominion over all the different aspects the current Elder Dragons represent, if it absorbs their magic.

- I am curious to see how it will play out, and I will not say that your point is invalid. I think it is very relevant indeed.

(edited by Sinifair.1026)