Guild Wars Tabletop RPG lore and history

in Lore

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

So there are some of us trying to get together to put together a Guild Wars tabletop RPG, and create a whole new system for it.

I know there are many people with amazing knowledge of the world of Tyria and the complex history and lore.

I was wondering if any would like to volunteer for this project in creating lore/history stories and backgrounds for adventures? Or willing to assist in the creation of such things to ensure that the stories and history involved is accurate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Edit: Any general questions can be asked here .

Lets keep this one open for discussion concerning lore masters, conintuity, and writers. Thanks!!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I may not be the most experienced loremaster here, but I’d like to think I know a good deal of the ins and outs. Plus, I have experience in various RPG systems, so I’m curious what sort of mechanics you have going. I’d also be willing to playtest the game if I can manage to get my group to consider it. Send me a message through the forum, and we can chat. I don’t want to give my e-mail address out in the open forum, especially as it’s the one tied to my in-game account.

in Lore

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Did anything come about from the guy that started the other thread on this? Or are you moving forward on your own?

in Lore

Posted by: thedarkaxe.1379

thedarkaxe.1379

Well, I never got a reply or anything in the original post about the tabletop RPG so I’d like to state my willingness to work on it again, if help is still needed anyway.

Edit: Should also probably mention that I’m a writer and a huge lorejunk :p

Supporter of support-heavy builds (pun intended)

(edited by thedarkaxe.1379)

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I can’t speak for pdavis, but I’m sure any help you can offer would be welcome. This still seems to be in the early stages, so more input can only help. However, this is his project, and I’m only helping, so I leave it to him to respond here.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Sorry, yes. I am moving forward on my own and with any who want to join me. The original person went AWOL. Only heard from him once, and it was him saying something came up. So, I have been talking wiht a couple of people on skype. PM me for my info, and I’ll try to schedual a more “formal” meeting to get started.

Thanks!!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Curious, are you going to build a whole new system from scratch, or are you going to adapt an existing system like d20 or GURPS? ’cause the former would take, obviously, a lot more effort and game design knowledge (as someone who wrote my own RPG system years ago, i can tell it takes a crap ton of effort).

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Curious, are you going to build a whole new system from scratch, or are you going to adapt an existing system like d20 or GURPS? ’cause the former would take, obviously, a lot more effort and game design knowledge (as someone who wrote my own RPG system years ago, i can tell it takes a crap ton of effort).

We are looking to create our own from scratch. Pulling various bits and ideas from other systems along the way. Yes, it’s a big project, but I believe with the right people, we can do it, and do it well.

If you have other questions about the project in general please this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Guild-Wars-Tabletop-RPG/first#post4786054

I would just like to try to use the lore forums to recruit writers, and lore masters for this. (Plus it helps to keep it from getting moved and off topic.) Thanks!!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

While I’m not very good with number balancing without actually practicing the systems, I’ve always wanted to see a GW-styled tabletop RPG. So count me interested.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Woot!!!!

Happy to have you aboard!!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

thedarkaxe.1379

Sorry, yes. I am moving forward on my own and with any who want to join me. The original person went AWOL.

No need to apologize, I send a PM to the “missing” person which would explain why I never got a reply.
I’ll send a PM soon, would love to get started on the project

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

We are looking to create our own from scratch. Pulling various bits and ideas from other systems along the way. Yes, it’s a big project, but I believe with the right people, we can do it, and do it well.

If you have other questions about the project in general please this thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/community/creations/Guild-Wars-Tabletop-RPG/first#post4786054

I would just like to try to use the lore forums to recruit writers, and lore masters for this. (Plus it helps to keep it from getting moved and off topic.) Thanks!!

hmm… well, just remember that guild wars is a really, really combat-oriented game, and tabletops don’t survive on combat alone, so you’ll have to take some liberties with the systems to keep the game engaging, rather than just adapt GW1 combat to a turn based format.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

hmm… well, just remember that guild wars is a really, really combat-oriented game, and tabletops don’t survive on combat alone, so you’ll have to take some liberties with the systems to keep the game engaging, rather than just adapt GW1 combat to a turn based format.

True, however I feel that we can create a system that plays well with the combat, and doesn’t diminish the vast lore and history involved in the game itself. Any ideas toward that direction are welcomed.

recognize my command!”

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

True, however I feel that we can create a system that plays well with the combat, and doesn’t diminish the vast lore and history involved in the game itself. Any ideas toward that direction are welcomed.

well the setting will be the main flavor of the system, regardless of it being a new system or an adaptation (it is, after all, filling the very specific niche of “GW players that want to have tyrian adventures in a tabletop RPG” ). that’s why i thought adapting a flexible system to give it a GW flavor would be easier than starting a whole new system from scratch.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

well the setting will be the main flavor of the system, regardless of it being a new system or an adaptation (it is, after all, filling the very specific niche of “GW players that want to have tyrian adventures in a tabletop RPG” ). that’s why i thought adapting a flexible system to give it a GW flavor would be easier than starting a whole new system from scratch.

And that is certainly plausible. However any such system will need to be adapted to our needs and desires.

recognize my command!”

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Ok ive started a google hangouts session here: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gz4wytavjfy7xcjiht6oluohiqa

Date and time to be announced. Stay tuned for more information! Hope to see you there, and chexk out the original thread for updates. Thanks!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: DorDor.8617

DorDor.8617

I’m a tad too inexperienced with tabletop games to really involve myself in any meaningful way, but I’ll definitely be watching from the shadows—a Guild Wars tabletop RPG sounds really awesome. However… if you ever need someone to help you whip up a story for your campaign, I’m your guy, and I constantly talk about obscure bits of Guild Wars lore on my blog if you need a resource for that kind of thing.

wanderingstoryteller.tumblr.com – Guild Wars content that’s only 75% terrible!

in Lore

Torsailr.8456

@DorDor

I wouldn’t be concerned about having experience. I think several of us have a lot of experience with P&P RPGs; I’ve got more years than I want to count. Experience is great but it can also lead to a form of tunnel vision. Experience can limit you in two fundamental ways:
1. You’ll try to always solve problems with the familiar tools. (As an old saying goes, “If you ask a brick layer to build you a house, you’ll get a brick house. If you ask a carpenter to build you a house, you’ll get a wood house.”)
2. When you become familiar with something you lose sight of it can appear to new people. Many GW2 veterans are guilty of this with the NPE (I’m not saying NPE is perfect either).

Also, by trying to make a system from scratch, not having a lot of experience with table top games is less of a hindrance. A fresh brain can sometimes catch things experienced people miss because of commonly accepted practices.

My point isn’t that experience is bad, but diversity of backgrounds is more important than everyone having experience.

So, if you’re interested talk to pdavis and join in the discussion. If nothing else, you can get us all coffee! Once things get going, if you still feel like you can’t contribute then you haven’t lost anything.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

@DorDor

I wouldn’t be concerned about having experience. I think several of us have a lot of experience with P&P RPGs; I’ve got more years than I want to count. Experience is great but it can also lead to a form of tunnel vision. Experience can limit you in two fundamental ways:
1. You’ll try to always solve problems with the familiar tools. (As an old saying goes, “If you ask a brick layer to build you a house, you’ll get a brick house. If you ask a carpenter to build you a house, you’ll get a wood house.”)
2. When you become familiar with something you lose sight of it can appear to new people. Many GW2 veterans are guilty of this with the NPE (I’m not saying NPE is perfect either).

Also, by trying to make a system from scratch, not having a lot of experience with table top games is less of a hindrance. A fresh brain can sometimes catch things experienced people miss because of commonly accepted practices.

My point isn’t that experience is bad, but diversity of backgrounds is more important than everyone having experience.

So, if you’re interested talk to pdavis and join in the discussion. If nothing else, you can get us all coffee! Once things get going, if you still feel like you can’t contribute then you haven’t lost anything.

Exactly this ^^^^^

Sometimes its good to have a perspective of someone who isn’t familar. And coming up with a system to be “noob” friendly, such views are exactly what we need.

And again, once we get started and you feel it’s not for you, well, we will at least have gotten some coffee out of the deal, so I suppose its a win/win. :P

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

Well, I’m certainly interested in helping out where I can.

I don’t know exactly how I’d best be able to contribute, but still. I’ve got some experience in running and playing tabletop, and can possibly toss in some thoughts for stories or try to help do some writing at least.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Well, I’m certainly interested in helping out where I can.

I don’t know exactly how I’d best be able to contribute, but still. I’ve got some experience in running and playing tabletop, and can possibly toss in some thoughts for stories or try to help do some writing at least.

Thats awesome!!

When I get a date and time for the google hangout I’ll let you know! The more the merrier!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

thedarkaxe.1379

I’m a tad too inexperienced with tabletop games to really involve myself in any meaningful way, but I’ll definitely be watching from the shadows

As some people before me already said: experience isn’t really that important, someone with less experience offers completely different viewpoints on the matter. I haven’t really played that much tabletop myself either (I actually started tabletop around the time of guild wars launch, playing only in the weekends).
The more the merrier as they say!

in Lore

Posted by: hermescragsniper.2713

hermescragsniper.2713

Funny you bring this up now. Over the last few weeks I’ve been in the process of making a hacked version of the Dungeon World/Apocolypse World system to support GW2 and playtesting parts of it with some friends of mine. I’m big into practical game design and iteration (I’ve done plenty of game jams) and I love Vincent Bakers engine.
I’m definitely interested in seeing what would be a good way to approach GW2 as a brand new system and have had some thought on it. Shifting the focus a bit away from combat is a must.
I would be happy to share and collaborate.

Blackgate

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I’d be interested, although I’m not sure just how much free time I’m likely to have in order to participate, particularly taking into account the effect of timezones.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

I’d be interested, although I’m not sure just how much free time I’m likely to have in order to participate, particularly taking into account the effect of timezones.

True, and I have considered that. Was thinking maybe early afternoon on Sunday, but beimg valentines weekend, that may not work out best for everyone.

But I’m sure we can figure something out.

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Torsailr.8456

What’s Valentines Day have to do with it? I thought we were all basement dwelling neckbeards!

I suppose you could ask everyone to be patient and delay starting until the 21st/22nd. Or just set the time for sunday and see who can make it. I’d be more inclined to starting it sooner to get the ball rolling.

in Lore

thedarkaxe.1379

I doubt I’d be able to join in this weekend. There is a big 5 day festival starting today where I live ,so until wednesday I won’t have time.
Feel free to start without me though, I can always voice my opinion afterwards and I’m sure I can join the second time.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

What’s Valentines Day have to do with it? I thought we were all basement dwelling neckbeards!

I suppose you could ask everyone to be patient and delay starting until the 21st/22nd. Or just set the time for sunday and see who can make it. I’d be more inclined to starting it sooner to get the ball rolling.

LOL!!
No basement dwelling neckbeard here! I have a family.

Yeah I’m on the same page. I just want to get this started. Maybe we can record it, so those who can’t make it won’t feel like they are being left out.

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Early afternoon Sunday, if that’s from a US perspective, is probably midmorning Monday from an Australian perspective. So I expect I’ll have to wait for the recording.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Torsailr.8456

lol, I have trouble getting schedules to line up just in the US. I’m fairly certain trying to match schedules with people in Australia will be impossible. Adelaide is approximately 17 hours ahead of US west coast, so yeah, around monday morning for you.

I’m sure it’ll take us a bit to get a regular discussions going, maybe we can try to alternate schedules to include people who live elsewhere. Or you could, you know, move to the US.

Pdavis set up a google hangout to use for video conference, I believe it has a record feature and the ability to upload to youtube. If not, hopefully someone is good at taking notes that we can email around.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Ok so I’m thinking of Wednesday (Feb. 18th) at 8pm PST. I do understand not everyone will be able to attend, but I can record it so every everyone can follow this project.

Google Hangouts:
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gz4wytavjfy7xcjiht6oluohiqa

Hope to see you there!!!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

Torsailr.8456

kewl. I can be there.

in Lore

thedarkaxe.1379

I’m pretty sure I won’t make it since it’ll be 4-5 am where I live. Oh well, the recording it is :p

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

I should be able to make it. I don’t know if I will be able to spend the whole time there depending on how long it goes (that’s 11pm my time, and I have a curfew on myself on weeknights so I don’t end up dead the next day at work) but I can at least start off present.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

in Lore

Posted by: therapite.3645

therapite.3645

I just caught wind of this and would love to toss ideas in for as long as I’m there. I’ve been doing Tabletop for many years, and helped playtest for a few systems, and in the creation of one of them for friends. That’s a bit late for me as well, but I can usually hang around for a while before I pass out. Hope it’s alright to add one more!

Ayla Tyrsdottir | Melsande | Rowan Cabot | Joxa | Phedra Nyx|Ephiny Tyrkin
Eternal Clarity [Ankh] /Archivists Sanctum [Lore]
A quaint dye collector with a lore problem.

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Therapte: Would love to have you!!

Don’t forget anyone and everyone is welcome to observe and/or participate in this project.

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gz4wytavjfy7xcjiht6oluohiqa
today at 8pm PST.

Hope to see you there!!

recognize my command!”

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

for some reason i read this as “we would love to hate you!!” and it took me several seconds to realize my mistake. now i’m laughing at myself :P

in Lore

pdavis.8031

for some reason i read this as “we would love to hate you!!” and it took me several seconds to realize my mistake. now i’m laughing at myself :P

That made me laugh way too hard!
I don’t even know him, I can’t hate him just yet. We’ll see AFTER the meeting tonight though. :P

recognize my command!”

in Lore

pdavis.8031

Thank you all for your interest. I would like to request this thread closed. Any further updates on the project will be made through this thread to keep things a bit more organized.

Thank you all again and look forward to working with you all some more!!

recognize my command!”