Guild Wars lore for Guild Wars 2 player

in Lore

Posted by: Wilu.3987

Wilu.3987

Hi.

I have never player GW1 and I would like to discover a whole lore, so – are there any good and legit sites/videos describing it? Also I would like to discover raids lore in HoT too – I played it and read some notes etc but a compressed guide would be much better.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

GW1 lore is rather extensive. You will not get a compressed guide that gives you most of the details. But I would suggest the GW1W – at least as of when I got perma-banned from it (due to GW2W trivialities no less), its lore articles were fairly detailed.

I would suggest going through those articles and the links in those lists. You’ll get a fair amount of the lore that way – not all of it, mind you. Best way would be to play the game yourself and do all the quests (the game is still up and fairly populated still), but this should suffice for a good deal of it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

To add to what Konig said, you can download the GW1 game manuals from the official GW1 website, which are a great read (and something GW2 should’ve done): http://www.guildwars.com/en/download

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Just play the game. Watching the videos will just ruin the twists in the storyline for you.

in Lore

Posted by: BigZThyDoom.8750

BigZThyDoom.8750

Hi.

I have never player GW1 and I would like to discover a whole lore, so – are there any good and legit sites/videos describing it? Also I would like to discover raids lore in HoT too – I played it and read some notes etc but a compressed guide would be much better.

I’d recommend watching WP’s lore series. I’m pretty sure Deroir also has a series on lore, but it’s more about the mysteries of the game. For that matter, I’d also recommend watching WP’s mysteries series, once you know more about the lore.

in Lore

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

@Konig, why would they ban you? lol

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Hi.

I’d recommend watching WP’s lore series. I’m pretty sure Deroir also has a series on lore, but it’s more about the mysteries of the game. For that matter, I’d also recommend watching WP’s mysteries series, once you know more about the lore.

I’ve not seen much of Deroir’s (I watched some of two, but the second one started out with such HUGE lore fact twisting that I facepalmed and closed), but for WP I would say to take everything with a grain of salt.

WP’s research for his videos are incomplete at best, speculation being presented as fact at worse. They’re decent for a brief overview, but it’s hardly something to take as truth in of itself.

Long story short:

An on-again-off-again user kept adding incorrect details and speculations onto GW2W, claiming them as supported fact; I tried to keep the wiki as fact based as possible. Revert wars ensued. I stated I was leaving (meaning temporarily) out of frustration of said user. Admins temp ban me. Rinse repeat a few times over two years. A couple times this spread onto GWW, when I was trying to improve those articles to pass the time (I had a lot more free time then).

During the last temp ban, I got so fed up with the admins’ continuous tactics of ‘lock the door after he leaves, that will show him!’ for their bans (literally every ban came the day after I got frustrated to the point of taking a break). So, fed up as I was, I made a rant about it on my GWW talk page. This resulted, due to ‘disturbing the peace’ as an excuse, in a perma ban on GWW.

Because a rant on my personal talk page is disturbing the peace. Because banning someone who’s not active is really teaching them a lesson.

I don’t mind those folks who were admining the wikis then (I dunno if the one behind the perma ban even remains active, but the others are at least active editors), but honestly their policy enforcement is – or at least was- plain stupid.

Humorously, ever since, that user has not edited the wiki as far as I know – and that final campaign also got him banned (think it was a 6 month temporary like I got, too).

Rant over. Wasn’t very short… but wasn’t the long version either.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Hi.

I’ve not seen much of Deroir’s (I watched some of two, but the second one started out with such HUGE lore fact twisting that I facepalmed and closed), but for WP I would say to take everything with a grain of salt.

WP’s research for his videos are incomplete at best, speculation being presented as fact at worse. They’re decent for a brief overview, but it’s hardly something to take as truth in of itself.

Long story short:

An on-again-off-again user kept adding incorrect details and speculations onto GW2W, claiming them as supported fact; I tried to keep the wiki as fact based as possible. Revert wars ensued. I stated I was leaving (meaning temporarily) out of frustration of said user. Admins temp ban me. Rinse repeat a few times over two years. A couple times this spread onto GWW, when I was trying to improve those articles to pass the time (I had a lot more free time then).

During the last temp ban, I got so fed up with the admins’ continuous tactics of ‘lock the door after he leaves, that will show him!’ for their bans (literally every ban came the day after I got frustrated to the point of taking a break). So, fed up as I was, I made a rant about it on my GWW talk page. This resulted, due to ‘disturbing the peace’ as an excuse, in a perma ban on GWW.

Because a rant on my personal talk page is disturbing the peace. Because banning someone who’s not active is really teaching them a lesson.

I don’t mind those folks who were admining the wikis then (I dunno if the one behind the perma ban even remains active, but the others are at least active editors), but honestly their policy enforcement is – or at least was- plain stupid.

Humorously, ever since, that user has not edited the wiki as far as I know – and that final campaign also got him banned (think it was a 6 month temporary like I got, too).

Rant over. Wasn’t very short… but wasn’t the long version either.

I admire your work on GW2W because you did take your time to write the articles fully fact-based, close to you the other admin I really like is Tithus The Third (he even brought some timeline anomalies for Angel McCoy to fix). I think lore editors should have a white hat because story-telling is such a difficult stuff to get together, and frankly not everyone is willing to put things together. :/

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

WP lore video or even lore discussion always happen after someone already posted something about it here. i dont think he does hes own research. dont get me wrong i like hes gw1 lore video, because as someone who plays gw1, i also i remember those.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in Lore

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

also deroir makes lore video but he also theorize at the same time, so he doesnt really just straight up tell u lore base on what is just explain ingame or by devs.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I think Deroirs Tyrian Characterology is pretty much free of speculation. However there aren’t many episodes and most of them revolve around the LS season 1 and part of season 2. So I wouldn’t say they are a good introduction to the lore, but they can help fill the gap between PS and the HoT story.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.