Help me to the lore of this game universe.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

The rebellion was against the shamans, not the Flame Legion- the two are just conflated because by the end, the flame legion was acting as the shamans’ army. I think it might actually be said somewhere that the shamans from the other legions even gave up the fight and renounced their gods. It’s the shamans who are hated, because they were only granted that power by the other charr for the promise of being invincible, they abused that power, and then it turned out that they weren’t holding up their end of the bargain, and then they cracked down hard in an attempt to keep power. By the end they were just cruel tyrants. The hatred for the Flame Legion just derives from that grudge, because the Flame Legion has voluntarily stuck with the shamans all this time.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Ishmael.6740

Ishmael.6740

I think that the foefire incident played a role as well in the downfall of the flame legion – Since the assassins, who argued with the flame imperator not to assault, because they returned from their failed assassination of Adelbern after finding out what the human king planned to do., would not paint the flame imperator in particularly bright colors ^^

in Lore

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

^In that situation you will be criticised no matter what if you did not you were called a coward and that is a dishonorable thing if you did well its seem that you are wiped out from existence with your army you just can not win. But truth be told Adelbern is at fault those poor souls they can not get peace.
That Adelbern is the ancestor of the current Duke of Ebonheart?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

^In that situation you will be criticised no matter what if you did not you were called a coward and that is a dishonorable thing if you did well its seem that you are wiped out from existence with your army you just can not win. But truth be told Adelbern is at fault those poor souls they can not get peace.
That Adelbern is the ancestor of the current Duke of Ebonheart?

Relative, but not ancestor. Adelbern only had one child, Rurik, and he died (as far as we know) childless. The Duke of Ebonheart is most likely descended from one of Adelbern’s own ancestors.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

The Duke of Ebonheart is most likely descended from one of Adelbern’s own ancestors.

Or even more likely Duke Barradin. He was the real heir to the Ascalonian throne anyway, he just gave up the clame because he saw Adelbern as a more fitting ruler, despite the latters lack of royal blood. Adelbern was just a famous war hero of the Guild Wars, not part of the royal family. Though apparently still a descendant of Doric.

That was even the reason for a seperatistic movement in Ascalon that wanted to install Barradin on the throne, but the whole plan was pretty much forgotten after the Charr invasion.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

adormtil.1605

Was the guy who killed Rurik killed also killed? the wikia says nothing about that guys fate? also if we use real world logic here most of us from European descent are descended from Charlemegane so its not that big of a deal he is descended from Doric.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Yes. We kill Dagnar later in the same campaign.

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

Was the guy who killed Rurik killed also killed? the wikia says nothing about that guys fate? also if we use real world logic here most of us from European descent are descended from Charlemegane so its not that big of a deal he is descended from Doric.

Dagnar Stoneplate is killed while he attacks Thunderhead Keep, the capital city of Deldrimor. It’s surpisingly nonchalant as we also kill Confessor Dorian, the leader of the White Mantle, in the very same mission. Way to waste 2 villains, but Prophecies wasn’t known for it’s good storytelling.

And well yes, we europeans are descended from Charlemagne, atleast it’s mathematically possible. With the whole being a descendant of Doric thing it’s more about having a direct family tracing back to him.

in Lore

adormtil.1605

The area between Kryta and Ascalon who ruled it during GW?

in Lore

BuddhaKeks.4857

That would be the Shiverpeaks and those were home to the dwarves, their kingdom is the already mentioned Deldrimor. A civil war broke out between King Jalis Ironhammer’s loyalists and the xenophobic Stone Summit guild let by Dagnar Stoneplate.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Was the flame legion really the leader of the charr? I remember the flame legion imperator took under assault the Ascalonian capital so he will a great feat to be recognised as their Khan but we all know what happened in that assault.

The FL did rule the charr through proxy. The shaman of the other legions ruled their legions due to the titans giving the shaman power. And the FL had the most shamans. Since the last real khan Ur died, the major legions have been vying for controle of the charr but any Khan-Ur needs to be strong enough to maintain controle since charr society constantly challenges their superiors.

" In the end, the Shamans of the rival legions met in secret, unified their differences, and swore to force each legion to follow these new gods. As one, they returned to their individual city-states and convinced their people to worship the Titans–all save for one Charr named Bathea Havocbringer. This heroine, whose strength and Warrior ability had made her a leader among the Blood Legion, fought against this sacrilege and was killed for it by the Shamans, her execution a sacrifice to the new gods." http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ecology_of_the_Charr

Why I do not get among all the other legions the fire legion had the biggest losses in recovering Ascalon why are they so hated?

All legions were involved in taking Ascalaon “One of the leaders of the Flame Legion at the time, Bonfaaz Burntfur, spurred the charge against the Wall, leading the Shamans in a further show of unity.”

The FL is so hated because of how they ruled when they were in charge and their continual dependence on false gods.

“The Flame Legion is condemned more for their worship of false gods and longtime oppression of the other legions than for the fact they have a preference for fireballs.” http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/interviews/jeff-grubb-im-interview-zu-charr-7759/seite-3/

Still I am surprised they did not aknowlege they sacrifice and effort were is the honor in that?

All legions sacrificed as Ishmael said.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

in Lore

adormtil.1605

So King Jalis Ironhammer won and forced his subjects to go trough a ritual so the dwarfes are of stone so they can fight Primordius ad his armies? Which they do not seem to do very well. But where were the nords then?

in Lore

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

So King Jalis Ironhammer won and forced his subjects to go trough a ritual so the dwarfes are of stone so they can fight Primordius ad his armies? Which they do not seem to do very well. But where were the nords then?

The Deldrimor dwarves won the civil war with the Stone Summit, with the help of human heroes. The last of the Stone Summit just gave up years later and rejoined Deldrimor. They were destined to become stone dwarves anyway.

King Jalis did not force his people to become stone at all, they all willingly underwent the transformation to fulfill their ancient prophecy about the Great Dwarf fighting the Great Destroyer. At least one dwarf, Ogden, chose not to undergo the ritual immediately, but eventually even he turned to stone.

And supposedly the dwarves are still fighting the minions of Primordus today, although we can’t tell if there are any left. The destroyers are infinite while the dwarves’ number would just dwindle away along the time. The only known dwarf to still exist is Ogden Stonehammer, living at the Durmand Priory.

The Norn were never organized in such a way that they would send an army to fight. They agreed to join in the fight against the Great Destroyer, and 5 of them came. For them that is quite a number. But each Norn could decide for him- or herself to join into the fight.

The fight against the Great Destroyer was teamwork between the Ebon Vanguard (humans), the dwarves, the Asura and the Norn (and of course a group of heroes). No Charr were there, although Pyre and his warband are actually in the instance you enter after the final fight. Eye of the North is about bringing those different groups together.

The knowledge about the fight against the Great Destroyer is still around today, as Tybalt has a dialogue about the Order of Whispers knowing about a group of heroes fighting Primordus and winning, as he puts it. The result was that Primordus went back to sleep for another few decades instead of waking up right then.

[Yak’s Bend]

in Lore

adormtil.1605

^Did those decades of stopping Primordius helped the rest of the races? And were they not more useful as normal race that fight against the elder dragons like the humans, charr, azura, norn and sylvari?

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

^Did those decades of stopping Primordius helped the rest of the races? And were they not more useful as normal race that fight against the elder dragons like the humans, charr, azura, norn and sylvari?

We can’t say for sure, since we don’t know how the situation stands below ground, but since we see destroyer pockets in asura, human, tengu, and norn territories it’s safe to say that those three races would probably be in a very bad way if the dwarves hadn’t checked destroyer numbers. It’s not easy to counter an enemy that can pop up anywhere in your country at any time.

And if your question was where were the norn living at the time, it was in the far northern mountains, which were not at that time flooded. They were driven south 85 years after GW1

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)