HoT Trailer discussion

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

So after watching the new trailer I found that there’s a possibility that Rytlock met Glint in the mists.

I theorize this because of the powers he uses when taking on a particular boss. The powers look like he’s calling upon a dragon.

I’ll update this topic as I get pictures.

EDIT: Nevermind he’s just a new profesion. He calls upon the power of the mists so that includes dead dragons apparently.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

(edited by Dirame.8521)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

That looked like Glint indeed.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

So we are going to ally with the murssat?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

So we are going to ally with the murssat?

The who? Oh, the Mursaat. Yeah, possibly. I’m not yet 100% sure they are Mursaat, though. They don’t really look like them, other than the fact they float.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

They don’t look alike, but the symbol on the door certainly looks like a much more elaborate version of the bandit emblem.

Anyway, other lore elements that might be discussed here- apparently Glint hid something in the Maguuma around the end of GW1, we’ve got Rytlock ushering in a new class that seems to be a heavily armored ritualist- channels the Mists, specific ‘legends’, with Jalis and Mallyx mentioned as examples. And did I hear O’Brien letting it slip at the beginning that most of the sylvari have turned?

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I posted this in HOT, but perhaps it’s better here.

So they talk about finding Glint’s Legacy in HOT. At the end of the trailer we see 3 beings made of light, each one has a different color. Zephyrites were allowed to use their magic because of glint and they had similar colors as those 3 beings.

I wonder if those 3 beings are a type of aspect master? Maybe a race of people that ARE aspects instead of what the zephyrites are (humans that learn to use the aspects). I kinda think those 3 are Glint’s Legacy.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

They don’t look alike, but the symbol on the door certainly looks like a much more elaborate version of the bandit emblem.

Anyway, other lore elements that might be discussed here- apparently Glint hid something in the Maguuma around the end of GW1, we’ve got Rytlock ushering in a new class that seems to be a heavily armored ritualist- channels the Mists, specific ‘legends’, with Jalis and Mallyx mentioned as examples. And did I hear O’Brien letting it slip at the beginning that most of the sylvari have turned?

They do look quite alike, same color, similar head and are those wing on their back?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

And did I hear O’Brien letting it slip at the beginning that most of the sylvari have turned?

I do believe he did. He said something along the lines of “Most of the race was corrupted/turned.”

I wonder if they added in the Lore Masteries to try and make amends to the lore community, because we know we’ve had a rocky relationship with the devs lately.

(edited by Erukk.1408)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

And did I hear O’Brien letting it slip at the beginning that most of the sylvari have turned?

I do believe he did. He said something along the lines of “Most of the race was corrupted/turned.”

Player Sylvari – they are the 1%

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

I didn’t catch that but there are sylvari characters in the trailer that haven’t gone berserk. I’d take that to mean not all sylvari are corrupted. Probably more than just the PCs aren’t corrupted either.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Erukk.1408

I didn’t catch that but there are sylvari characters in the trailer that haven’t gone berserk. I’d take that to mean not all sylvari are corrupted. Probably more than just the PCs aren’t corrupted either.

I was at the very beginning. He was describing the events that let to where we are now.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The beings are in a golden city. Pretending they are not mursaat is like pretending today’s announcement wasn’t an expansion. What was interesting is that there were three of them, suggesting Lazarus is not the last of his kind. I was hoping for something like that. In the trailer the word “allies” is used to describe them (I think it was them) so I guess Mursaat are good guys now. Maybe they regret their decision to leave last time the EDs rose and have become more co-operate after their race was driven to near-extinction. I’m expecting some kind of plot twist claiming their actions in Prophecies were intended to prepare for or prevent the EDs from waking. Looks like their golden city might be the new hub city for the expansion.

I’m over the moon that rangers become druids. What a fitting place for it to happen too – the Maguuma Jungle home of the druids. I really hope there is some kind of gameplay and quest rooting this new development in the lore. Just like Rytlock going to the Mists to summon ancient heroes, I want rangers to interact with the druids. I love all the Living Story profession specific references (usually engineers relating to Scarlet’s diagrams etc) and I really want some more profession specific references. I wonder if Eir will become a druid? She is all shamany and wise, druid seems like a good fit for her.

Of the friendly races I think we saw hylek and that’s it (other than mursaat). I don’t recall seeing something specific to sylvari so Malyck and his people have to wait for a later reveal. The heavy use of Rytlock and no-one else suggests to me they are keeping all the spoilery characters and locations a secret for now, only showing what they want.

I was a little let down that so far all they’ve shown was jungle. It looks like the three biomes will be aesthetically different, but gosh I would be lying if I said I wasn’t hoping for more. I’m still holding hope for Crystal Desert in a later patch (Glint’s legacy was mentioned), I think the story’s heavy emphasis on Glint can still take us there.

I wonder if Rytlock’s hero summoning ability will summon Rurik, Adelburn or Doric himself to cleanse Ascalon?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Erukk.1408

It could be possible that Lazarus and Co. weren’t the whole race, but they were simply an advance force sent by the Mursaat in the Mists to deal with all the Flameseeker Prophecies business.

It’s a bit hard to make an accurate guess given the trailer alone though. In that whole shot over the golden city, we only saw those lone three (possible) Mursaat. Which could be a mark against a greater number of them. But then again, the Mursaat are invisible to just about everything other than the special chosen few that Ascended and got True Sight.

I’m kinda wondering what’s with all the fire breathing dragons(?). There also seems to be a enemy race, judging by them showing him under the “New Boss Battle” caption, of tall grey humanoids that seems to have them as pets.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Yep.

Though I’m figuring there will be some in-game explanation for this. Not all sylvari will go evil – that’s an absolute necessity – so you’d have to have a reason for why there are exceptions. Whether Trahearne will be one of them, I don’t really know – but I can imagine it would make some people’s day to have him turn evil then go beat him up.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Edusd.7893

Edusd.7893

What about the possibility that the Mursaat that we know from GW1 were just a splinter group of the race, like flame legion are to the charr…?

-mredus.deviantart.com-

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

To be fair, even the GW1 Mursaat did save Kryta and help keep the Titans sealed.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

most of the sylvari in the pact fleet. i think he’s implying trahearne is still on our side.

the guys we see in the golden city are definitely mursaat. i personally like their new design, more otherworldly and less “floaty humans with masks”. fits their description more.

as for speculation on the “dragons” and the new enemies, they mostly look like new types of mordrem. if you look at current mordrem designs, not all of them look plantlike, and the teragriff boss we fought in particular is very reminescent of these new guys.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Yep.

Though I’m figuring there will be some in-game explanation for this. Not all sylvari will go evil – that’s an absolute necessity – so you’d have to have a reason for why there are exceptions. Whether Trahearne will be one of them, I don’t really know – but I can imagine it would make some people’s day to have him turn evil then go beat him up.

maybe they wouldn’t have been corrupted if the pale tree wasn’t weakened, and now that she’s recovered, it’s safe again to venture in?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

What about the possibility that the Mursaat that we know from GW1 were just a splinter group of the race, like flame legion are to the charr…?

I don’t think the GW1 Mursaat are pure evil, they just are selfish and think humans are lesser races for them to use. However, they still saved Kryta and help to keep seal of the Titans. They didn’t want to destroy the world or kill other beings, so when there are major threats like Mordremoth, it’s very logical that we could work with them.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Erukk.1408

Fire breathing Mordrem though? It would seem kinda weird for the Mordy, the jungle dragon, to create/grow those. I was hoping more along the lines of them possibly being some type of Cantha-esque lesser dragon.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

@Erukk that humanoid has, as far as I can tell, an identical texture to some of the mordrem we’ve seen, as did the fire-breather with him. As for the ones that actually have scales… well, we’ve speculated about the possibility of a race of dragons before. Maybe we have our proof?

I’m not sure if anyone but me will care about the distinction, but what we see aren’t exactly hylek as we know them. One kind looks very strikingly similar to GW1 heket, and the other is small and lanky, more of a skritt like build than a hylek like build, although still clearly a (tree) frog. If I’m not mistaken, didn’t the EotN manual describe heket and frogmen as cousin races? Perhaps we’re seeing more along that vein.

@Bruno It’s certainly a possible interpretation, but the reason it stood out to me was because he didn’t say anything indicating that he meant the ones with the Pact.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Fire breathing Mordrem though? It would seem kinda weird for the Mordy, the jungle dragon, to create/grow those. I was hoping more along the lines of them possibly being some type of Cantha-esque lesser dragon.

a lot of them seem to be spewing a flammable liquid, rather than outright fire. it’s like they drool napalm. but yes, fire breathing plants, why not? we have sylvari elementalists and engineers.

Attachments:

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

@Bruno It’s certainly a possible interpretation, but the reason it stood out to me was because he didn’t say anything indicating that he meant the ones with the Pact.

he was describing the pact attack though. “the forest came to life, mordremoth attacked, most sylvari were converted, and now the fleet was in ruins”.

in context, he meant that most sylvari in the fleet were converted, not most sylvari in the world (that would be just stupid). come on, it’s reading comprehension :/

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

oh and here’s a picture of our new mursaat friends

Attachments:

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

So those crystals in the Pale Tree vision actually means Mursaat’s Jade?

Could Saul D’Alessio still be alive?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Erukk.1408

in context, he meant that most sylvari in the fleet were converted, not most sylvari in the world (that would be just stupid). come on, it’s reading comprehension :/

And here I thought he was only talking. Was there subtitles I missed somewhere? =P

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

And here I thought he was only talking. Was there subtitles I missed somewhere? =P

listening comprehension then >________________>

though if you wanna get technical, he was probably reading off a prompter.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

So those crystals in the Pale Tree vision actually means Mursaat’s Jade?

Could Saul D’Alessio still be alive?

Could it be both Glint’s crystal lair then later the mursaat city? We see the Pale Tree and trees, then crystals, then golden pillars and the mursaat city. We actually visit Glint’s Lair shortly after it is shown in the vision and obviously her egg is important.

I’m pretty sure Saul is dead, although a revenant might be able to cull on him.

I think we all knew sylvari weren’t all minions, probably just most of the ones that went to Maguuma and maybe even many of the ones safe at home. There are several story suggestions that willpower and good nature might help tip the balance between serving an ED and living freely (Scarlet actively resists Mordremoth, Mawdrey is noted to have grown good under the guidance of a hero, the Pale Tree heavily prioritises the importance of Ventari’s tenants). I think the sylvari’s distance from the Pale Tree, in her weakened state, meant that only the most powerfully willed sylvari resisted Mordremoth when they got too close to it. Trahearne gets a resistance boost for wielding Caladbolg and sylvari PCs are special valiants with strong wills. Sometime in the Living Story before the expansion or early on in the expansion the Pale Tree will regain her strength and regular sylvari will once again enjoy her protection.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

@Bruno that was later… and that was Colin, too, unless I misremember utterly.

EDIT: “Mordremoth has already corrupted much of the sylvari race, and it just destroyed the Pact fleet containing many of the heroes of Destiny’s Edge. Mordremoth’s power is growing, his corruption is spreading…”

That’s what I was mentioning.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

The thing with the Mursaat bothers me and not only cause they were great villains and everything we have learned about them so far suggests they were a selfish and ruthless race. Even saving Kryta was entirely for the sake of self preservation. Do remember they slaughtered almost the entire human army as well after they had won the victory over the Charr.

The core reason relates to humans and more specifically the issues with the White Mantle. The White Mantle/Bandits are effectively the Inquest or Flame Legion of the human race. The Mursaat were the patrons and leaders of that cult. The last one we knew about swore vengeance on the humans. They are one of the core reasons humanity has been on the decline for so kitten long.

Having the Mursaat as allies without one hell of a good build up and explanation is kind of like having Charr ally with Titans. My biggest concern is its going to end up at the determent of the humans who as a playable race have kind of gotten the short end of the stick in lore already in GW2. For most players, particularly those who haven’t played GW1, making the Mursaat sympathetic will make the humans, who see the Mursaat staunchly as enemies, look bad regardless of the reality of their history.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

The thing with the Mursaat bothers me and not only cause they were great villains and everything we have learned about them so far suggests they were a selfish and ruthless race. Even saving Kryta was entirely for the sake of self preservation. Do remember they slaughtered almost the entire human army as well after they had won the victory over the Charr.

The core reason relates to humans and more specifically the issues with the White Mantle. The White Mantle/Bandits are effectively the Inquest or Flame Legion of the human race. The Mursaat were the patrons and leaders of that cult. The last one we knew about swore vengeance on the humans. They are one of the core reasons humanity has been on the decline for so kitten long.

Having the Mursaat as allies without one hell of a good build up and explanation is kind of like having Charr ally with Titans. My biggest concern is its going to end up at the determent of the humans who as a playable race have kind of gotten the short end of the stick in lore already in GW2. For most players, particularly those who haven’t played GW1, making the Mursaat sympathetic will make the humans, who see the Mursaat staunchly as enemies, look bad regardless of the reality of their history.

The Titans were Abaddon’s minions, they want to take revenge on the mortals and make the world suffer.

Mursaat is very different, they mostly want to avoid the prophecy and survive, and they did help the humans with a price and help guard the world. They aren’t much different than humans, just they thought they are “higher beings” towards the humans.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

@Bruno that was later… and that was Colin, too, unless I misremember utterly.

EDIT: “Mordremoth has already corrupted much of the sylvari race, and it just destroyed the Pact fleet containing many of the heroes of Destiny’s Edge. Mordremoth’s power is growing, his corruption is spreading…”

That’s what I was mentioning.

we were talking about different segments then. i was talking about MOB’s retelling of the final cutscene.

still, sounds more like they’re hyping up the gravity of the situation than literally a ton of sylvari are as good as minions now.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Lutinz.6915

The Titans were Abaddon’s minions, they want to take revenge on the mortals and make the world suffer.

Mursaat is very different, they mostly want to avoid the prophecy and survive, and they did help the humans with a price and help guard the world. They aren’t much different than humans, just they thought they are “higher beings” towards the humans.

We know very little about the Mursaat except that they have screwed over every ally they have ever had and their minions are to this day making a wreck of Kryta.

Your very forgiving of the Mursaat. What they were doing doesn’t make any of the things they did any less self serving and ruthless. Being protected by a psychopathic murderer doesn’t make them less of a psychopathic murderer and doesn’t excuse them torturing and killing your people as the ‘price’, especially when the only reason they are doing it is to protect themselves. Note, that price includes the mess Kryta is in right now as the White Mantle is still a major threat.

Humanity as been seen at least to show some respect and compassion for other races. The Mursaat never have.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

We know very little about the Mursaat except that they have screwed over every ally they have ever had and their minions are to this day making a wreck of Kryta.

Your very forgiving of the Mursaat. What they were doing doesn’t make any of the things they did any less self serving and ruthless. Being protected by a psychopathic murderer doesn’t make them less of a psychopathic murderer and doesn’t excuse them torturing and killing your people as the ‘price’, especially when the only reason they are doing it is to protect themselves. Note, that price includes the mess Kryta is in right now as the White Mantle is still a major threat.

Humanity as been seen at least to show some respect and compassion for other races. The Mursaat never have.

They did save the majority of Krytan’s lives, this was a GREAT contribution to humanity when Ascalon was hopeless to save and Orr was completely destroyed, that was humanity’s worst time. Even some of their crimes were for a “greater good”, it’s not like the Titans would only kill them but spare the humans. If the Door was not sealed, not just more Titans would have come out, but their master Abaddon might be freed earlier.

Their methods were cruel but their goal was not destruction, that is a major difference between the Musaat and most of the other villains. It’s their mean, not their end, thus they could be allies, just not friends. And I’m not talking about GW humans, but real life humans.

Remember the Charr were 100% villains before Nightfall and caused much more harm than the Musaat against humanity, now they are humans’ allies and a playable race.

(edited by Slowpokeking.8720)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

it’s worth mentioning that nowhere is it said that we’ll just be BFFs with them. for all we know, this might be a complicated alliance, one that the parties don’t necessarily agree with but the situation forces them to.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Lutinz.6915

They did save the majority of Krytan’s lives, this was a GREAT contribution to humanity when Ascalon was hopeless to save and Orr was completely destroyed, that was humanity’s worst time. Even some of their crimes were for a “greater good”, it’s not like the Titans would only kill them but spare the humans. If the Door was not sealed, not just more Titans would have come out, but their master Abaddon might be freed earlier.

Their methods were cruel but their goal was not destruction, that is a major difference between the Musaat and most of the other villains. It’s their mean, not their end, thus they could be allies, just not friends. And I’m not talking about GW humans, but real life humans.

Remember the Charr were 100% villains before Nightfall and caused much more harm than the Musaat against humanity, now they are humans’ allies and a playable race.

1. There actions were entirely self interest, not greater good. If they did a greater good it was purely coincidental. They have abandoned everyone else to die when they felt safe doing so. They did during the last rise of the EDs. If it was just for greater good why did the not just up and leave as soon as the titan threat was resolved? Why did they continue to try and oppress humanity and prop themselves up as false gods?

2. As I said:
" Being protected by a psychopathic murderer doesn’t make them less of a psychopathic murderer and doesn’t excuse them torturing and killing your people as the ‘price’, especially when the only reason they are doing it is to protect themselves. "

Again, its contextually like having the Charr having to ally with the Titans. My primary issue isn’t the Mursaat themselves but how this reflects on humanity who the Mursaat are a major plot part of. Literally the first 20 levels of the PS is tied to the Bandits, therefore the White Mantle, therefore the Mursaat.

3. While this is true there was plenty of lead in and support lore wise to allow for the change of position for the Charr. As recent as the last couple of Living World updates we see the White Mantle still portrayed in a very negative light which reflects on the Mursaat. In addition everything shown in GW2 about the Mursaat only reinforces the negative view of the Mursaat we got in GW1.

I do see an irony in after all the Charr’s talk of contempt of false gods, chosing to ally with a group of them.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

I like the Musaat in GW1 a lot because they made the Prophecies story not purely black/white. They did both good and bad through a not noble but realistic purpose.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

1. There actions were entirely self interest, not greater good. If they did a greater good it was purely coincidental. They have abandoned everyone else to die when they felt safe doing so. They did during the last rise of the EDs. If it was just for greater good why did the not just up and leave as soon as the titan threat was resolved? Why did they continue to try and oppress humanity and prop themselves up as false gods?

It doesn’t matter, they help saved humanity. No matter their goal is noble or not, the humans own them a great favor when the Five Gods chose to do nothing, when the king of Kryta chose to abandon his people and run away. Nobody blamed the gods or the kings but the Mursaat simply because their goal wasn’t noble? So if they chose to do nothing like the Five Gods they wouldn’t be blamed for? But then we probably wouldn’t even be able to play humans in GW2 because all three kingdoms were destroyed.

Even the PC character, who had fought them throughout the story, said

I did what everyone asked of me. I opened the Door of Komalie but to my dismay I learned that the door held back the evil titans and the Mursaat were actually attempting to protect the world from their wrath.

2. As I said:
" Being protected by a psychopathic murderer doesn’t make them less of a psychopathic murderer and doesn’t excuse them torturing and killing your people as the ‘price’, especially when the only reason they are doing it is to protect themselves. "

I don’t think they should be called psychopathic murderers, they didn’t enjoy kill, it’s not their goal. They never planned to kill everyone as well, most of their murders-the Chosen, were killed to prevent the world being ravaged by the Titans, or worse, Abaddon.

Even if we look at the killing of Saul’s buddies

Saul D’Alessio: “Friends, the time of retribution is at hand. We must pray to our gods. They will decide whether we live or die.

Saul chose to call them and let them decide the fate of his men, also they would all be killed if the Mursaat hadn’t helped.

Again, its contextually like having the Charr having to ally with the Titans. My primary issue isn’t the Mursaat themselves but how this reflects on humanity who the Mursaat are a major plot part of. Literally the first 20 levels of the PS is tied to the Bandits, therefore the White Mantle, therefore the Mursaat.

3. While this is true there was plenty of lead in and support lore wise to allow for the change of position for the Charr. As recent as the last couple of Living World updates we see the White Mantle still portrayed in a very negative light which reflects on the Mursaat. In addition everything shown in GW2 about the Mursaat only reinforces the negative view of the Mursaat we got in GW1.

I never played that PS line so I can’t say much.

White Mantle are bullies, but it doesn’t mean they couldn’t be allies, and they don’t represent the Mursaat. I also pointed the difference between the Mursaat and the Titans already.

I do see an irony in after all the Charr’s talk of contempt of false gods, chosing to ally with a group of them.

The Charr didn’t sack human kingdoms because of the Titans, the Titans just gave them the power to do so.

(edited by Slowpokeking.8720)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

a lot of them seem to be spewing a flammable liquid, rather than outright fire. it’s like they drool napalm. but yes, fire breathing plants, why not? we have sylvari elementalists and engineers.

One possibility here is that we might be seeing Primordus dragons. Could be that we’ve found the species that was the template for the four-legged dragon champions, though (as opposed to wyvern-like Canthan dragons).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

One possibility here is that we might be seeing Primordus dragons. Could be that we’ve found the species that was the template for the four-legged dragon champions, though (as opposed to wyvern-like Canthan dragons).

That’s quite possible.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t see the primordus relation, because 1- it doesn’t look like destroyers, and 2- destroyers seem to be mockeries mimmicking real wildlife, so if they really were the “base dragons”, they wouldn’t be primordus’.

either way, they all look clearly mordrem to me. not like we haven’t seen flying mordrem already.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Of the friendly races I think we saw hylek and that’s it (other than mursaat). I don’t recall seeing something specific to sylvari so Malyck and his people have to wait for a later reveal.

It’s worth mentioning that during the announcement, during one of their concept art slideshows they showed what looked EXACTLY like the Pale Tree. Did anyone happen to catch a screenshot of this?

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Of the friendly races I think we saw hylek and that’s it (other than mursaat). I don’t recall seeing something specific to sylvari so Malyck and his people have to wait for a later reveal.

It’s worth mentioning that during the announcement, during one of their concept art slideshows they showed what looked EXACTLY like the Pale Tree. Did anyone happen to catch a screenshot of this?

no, but if you were to go to their twitch channel, rewatch the whole thing, and take a bunch of screenshots, that would be peachy :P

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Larynx.2453

http://i.imgur.com/ruwlh2C.jpg

This was specifically at 27 minutes in the Twitch broadcast. They were talking about the maps and biome levels in the new zones. Seems odd to put the Pale Tree there, unless…?

Attachments:

(edited by Larynx.2453)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

holy crap you’re right. those two sylvaris seem either surprised or angry at their discovery, and the one on the right is wearing green and has white hair…

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

http://i.imgur.com/ruwlh2C.jpg

This was specifically at 27 minutes in the Twitch broadcast. They were talking about the maps and biome levels in the new zones. Seems odd to put the Pale Tree there, unless…?

Not Pale Tree.

Pale Tree has white leaves.

That has pink.

Malyck’s tree found?

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Larynx.2453

(edited by Larynx.2453)

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Ferraro.6125

Ferraro.6125

It has to be the other tree, the whole concept art and the characters give a vibe of just having found another Tree.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Lutinz.6915

It doesn’t matter, they help saved humanity. No matter their goal is noble or not, the humans own them a great favor when the Five Gods chose to do nothing, when the king of Kryta chose to abandon his people and run away. Nobody blamed the gods or the kings but the Mursaat simply because their goal wasn’t noble? So if they chose to do nothing like the Five Gods they wouldn’t be blamed for? But then we probably wouldn’t even be able to play humans in GW2 because all three kingdoms were destroyed.

Even the PC character, who had fought them throughout the story, said

I did what everyone asked of me. I opened the Door of Komalie but to my dismay I learned that the door held back the evil titans and the Mursaat were actually attempting to protect the world from their wrath.

I don’t think they should be called psychopathic murderers, they didn’t enjoy kill, it’s not their goal. They never planned to kill everyone as well, most of their murders-the Chosen, were killed to prevent the world being ravaged by the Titans, or worse, Abaddon.

Even if we look at the killing of Saul’s buddies

Saul D’Alessio: “Friends, the time of retribution is at hand. We must pray to our gods. They will decide whether we live or die.

Saul chose to call them and let them decide the fate of his men, also they would all be killed if the Mursaat hadn’t helped.

I never played that PS line so I can’t say much.

White Mantle are bullies, but it doesn’t mean they couldn’t be allies, and they don’t represent the Mursaat. I also pointed the difference between the Mursaat and the Titans already.

1. GW1 and 2 have gone somewhat into detail about why they don’t directly interfere directly. Simply, they seem to cause as many problems solve when they do. As for wether humanity would have survived, that’s up for debate. Ebonhawke survived 200 years of siege and the humans spread all the way to the Maguuma in GW1. They likely would have lost Kryta but I doubt they would have been wiped out except by Abaddon.

By the same logic every race in Tyria owes humanity a tone, particularly the Charr. Without human aid the Charr rebellion wouldn’t have even started. Humanity has saved the world several times now.

1. A psychopathic murderer doesn’t necessarily enjoy killing. He just has no sense of empathy with the victim or sense of remorse. The kill just doesn’t register as a bad thing save for the repercussions to himself. By that definition the Mursaat fit a psychopathic killer to a tee.

Also the Chosen were specifically targeted because of their potential as Ascended. They were killing off potential threats as well as using their souls as fuel. As for Saul’s armies, you might note that Saul was horrified at what the Mursaat did to the human army. Their only reason for doing it was so that there were no witnesses. Its not like it was necessary for them to win. They also used Spectral Agony, a particularly painful way to die.

3. If you played anything at any point which had to do with the bandits in Kryta, you were dealing with plot tied to the White Mantle. The bandits are a front for the White Mantle. They are even aiding the Centaur in their attacks on human lands.

I’d call the Mursaat more than bullies. However I agree that I can see a scenario where they are allies of convenience. My concern is how it is presented and how that reflects on humans. Humanity has kind of been presented in a rather underwhelming and rather lame fashion in GW2. Their lore usually involves taking hits or being shown how far they have fallen. I don’t like the idea of a scenario where people are inclined to sympathise with the Mursaat because it will make humanity look bad and its been made to look bad enough.

HoT Trailer discussion

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

oh and here’s a picture of our new mursaat friends

Screw those guys. With a rusty infused ascended mace. No. No.

Mursaat are not friends, they’re a reason to swear at your monitor before you’re infused. They’re prime target number one after you can take them out. They are, quite literally, the last thing I would consider an ally.

I would consider allying with Flame Legion before allying with the mursaat. I would shave a charr before allying with the mursaat.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.