How am I supposed to get lore In-game?

in Lore

Posted by: Joeltopian.8475

Joeltopian.8475

I’m new to GW2, and I just came here from WoW. In wow, you would get your lore about the zone through quest text (If you bothered to read it), or through talking to NPCs. In GW2, there are no quests like wow, so you won’t get the text that tells you why you are doing this. So, where am I supposed to get the lore about why I am doing the quests, or the lore about zones?

Thanks,

Joeltopian.

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Listen to NPCs, talk to NPCs, read the letters you get from completing hearts and so on.
Read books and such you ind lying around.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Joeltopian.8475

Joeltopian.8475

Alright, thanks!

in Lore

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

A lot of the nice storys come from NPC’s talking to other NPC’s, Just sit around and listen. As lordkrall said above is probably the best way to do it. Also some of the personal stories give information about the lore, but you would need to do all the races to get a complete picture of it.

Hjorje

in Lore

Posted by: Ludovicus.7980

Ludovicus.7980

The equivalent to wow quest texts are the scouts’ introduction to zones.
That and the open world dialogs.

The glory of my ancestors shall be restored.

in Lore

Posted by: Iconik.8712

Iconik.8712

A lot of the nice storys come from NPC’s talking to other NPC’s, Just sit around and listen. As lordkrall said above is probably the best way to do it. Also some of the personal stories give information about the lore, but you would need to do all the races to get a complete picture of it.

“Your face is funny. It’s like a little raisin.”

Oh Hey Girl – Troll Thief Extraordinaire Tarnished Coast – www.twitch.tv/iconikk

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

I would also very much recommend going to Divinity’s Reach and going to the Durmand Priory Library located on the lower level in the inner circle. There are a few books you can read that give some human history, as well as history of the Elder Dragons. Also, if you go to the Durmand Priory you can go to the lower level and there is a room full of books. Not all is history and lore, but still very interesting stuff. Otherwise, pay attention to your personal story, talk to the scouts, talk to the heart vendors before completing the heart so you can get some background from them, talk to named NPC’s, and through this you will start to get a lot of information about the game’s background.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Interactable objects (the yellow stuff) is the most certain means of getting lore. NPC dialogues – both ambiant voice overs and the dialogue boxes – can provide lore from time to time. Basically if you see a named NPC, talk to him/her/it; sometimes generically named ones give dialogue boxes, but rarely.

Then there’s the personal story, that actually gives a lot more lore than people give credit for. In fact, I’d say most of the lore comes from the personal stories – issue is that you’d have to make/remake a total of 15 characters to go through all story arcs, ignoring the splits for a single story step (with such, it’d be 30) – luckily, only 3 would be needed to get to lvl 80, 6 to lvl 70, and then 10 to lvl 50, and 30 to lvl 30.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.