How did 99% of the Mursaat Die?

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

Didn’t they have the magic to hide themselves from the real world, even survived under the Elder Dragon’s rampage? After the Titans were released, couldn’t they just use that magic to hide themselves again?

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

GW1 players had the “Gift of True Sight” from Ascension (I think) allowing us to see through their invisibility. After the Battle of Lions Arch in GW1, I don’t think any were left after they attacked and were fended off (except Lazarus)

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

GW1 players had the “Gift of True Sight” from Ascension (I think) allowing us to see through their invisibility. After the Battle of Lions Arch in GW1, I don’t think any were left after they attacked and were fended off (except Lazarus)

But we didn’t kill all of them, many were killed by the Titans.

We also never went to their home city, I don’t think all of them went out leaving nobody home.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

How could I have been so blind? All this time I trusted Vizier Khilbron’s counsel and thought he had all our best interests at heart, while in truth everything he did was to further his own agenda. I did what everyone asked of me. I opened the Door of Komalie but to my dismay I learned that the door held back the evil titans and the Mursaat were actually attempting to protect the world from their wrath. After the door cracked, the Vizier revealed himself to be a Lich Lord and took control of the titans with the Scepter of Orr. With the Mursaat in shambles, there is no one left to stop the Lich but me. I have little time before he sends his titans across Tyria to rule the world.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Flameseeker_Prophecies

We were not the final blow to the mursaat, but we killed the majority of them and destroyed their chain of command. The titans played clean up.

Also, the mursaat’s ability to “hide themselves from the real world” is heavily implied to be slipping into the spirit realm. Which spirits can do at will. This is why Ascension and Weh no Su (called the same thing by scholars) both allow us to see individuals who slip into the Mists/spirit realm.

Titans, being made of tormented souls, likely can do the very same and thus would be able to see into the spirit realm – effectively making them having the Gift of True Sight. So mursaat wouldn’t be able to hide from them, and spectral agony would likely be ineffective against them just as it is against eidolons which are described similarly as titans.

Do we even know if they had a home city? Saul could have stumbled through a teleporter and landed at the Ring of Fire base for all we know. In his delirioum, he could have seen the Ether Seals’ glowing lights and floating bits high in the sky as those “towers that reached the sky”. An even if they did, the titans would have gone there to hunt them down.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

We were not the final blow to the mursaat, but we killed the majority of them and destroyed their chain of command. The titans played clean up.

I stopped playing new GW1 content after finishing War of Kryta. I’m loosely aware of the Lazarus confrontation later, but was there more Titans Vs Mursaat stuff after the LA Battle?

I should really go back and do the remaining content, but it feels almost too long a gap now.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Also, the mursaat’s ability to “hide themselves from the real world” is heavily implied to be slipping into the spirit realm. Which spirits can do at will. This is why Ascension and Weh no Su (called the same thing by scholars) both allow us to see individuals who slip into the Mists/spirit realm.

I’ve always wondered though, would the Mursaat actually been safe from the Elder Dragons in a spirit realm? While most dragons don’t seem to have the ability, some like Zhaitan and Mordremoth have shown to be able to influence and/or see into the Underworld or metaphysical whatever sort of realm the Dream is. Even Jormag has influence in the Mists now by having the SoS capture havrouns, and I doubt the havrouns are unique beings in history when it comes to being able to into the Mists like they do.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

How could I have been so blind? All this time I trusted Vizier Khilbron’s counsel and thought he had all our best interests at heart, while in truth everything he did was to further his own agenda. I did what everyone asked of me. I opened the Door of Komalie but to my dismay I learned that the door held back the evil titans and the Mursaat were actually attempting to protect the world from their wrath. After the door cracked, the Vizier revealed himself to be a Lich Lord and took control of the titans with the Scepter of Orr. With the Mursaat in shambles, there is no one left to stop the Lich but me. I have little time before he sends his titans across Tyria to rule the world.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Flameseeker_Prophecies

Titans, being made of tormented souls, likely can do the very same and thus would be able to see into the spirit realm – effectively making them having the Gift of True Sight. So mursaat wouldn’t be able to hide from them, and spectral agony would likely be ineffective against them just as it is against eidolons which are described similarly as titans.

Do we even know if they had a home city? Saul could have stumbled through a teleporter and landed at the Ring of Fire base for all we know. In his delirioum, he could have seen the Ether Seals’ glowing lights and floating bits high in the sky as those “towers that reached the sky”. An even if they did, the titans would have gone there to hunt them down.

Where did it say they were shifting to the spirit realm?

Scholar Yissa: Hmm. Yet the mursaat took their knowledge and fled into a half-world, out of phase with our own.

If they were into the spirit realm, they would not be able to escape Jormag. Also no proof showed the Titans could see through the Mursaat, yes they once were spirits, but not anymore.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

I’ve always wondered though, would the Mursaat actually been safe from the Elder Dragons in a spirit realm? While most dragons don’t seem to have the ability, some like Zhaitan and Mordremoth have shown to be able to influence and/or see into the Underworld or metaphysical whatever sort of realm the Dream is. Even Jormag has influence in the Mists now by having the SoS capture havrouns, and I doubt the havrouns are unique beings in history when it comes to being able to into the Mists like they do.

I don’t think they were teleporting to the spirit realm.

Scholar Yissa: What legends I have uncovered say they used powerful magic to shift themselves out of phase with this world.

Scholar Yissa: Hmm. Yet the mursaat took their knowledge and fled into a half-world, out of phase with our own.

in Lore

Erukk.1408

I don’t think they were teleporting to the spirit realm.

Scholar Yissa: What legends I have uncovered say they used powerful magic to shift themselves out of phase with this world.

It depends on their definition of “half-world”. Unless they’re taking a more sci-fi version of that term, any sort of half-world would be in the Mists, and the Mists also contain the spirit realms, alternate realities, parallel universes, alien worlds, and fractals in all its wibbly-wobbly timey-wiminess. The only real big difference between them all is how that plane of existence is governed and separated from the others.

Theoretically, given the resources, if you’re able to travel to one you could also possible get to the others. It all in the matter of if you have the power to get there, if you have the directions, and if you can survive all the matters of beasts in-between.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

It depends on their definition of “half-world”. Unless they’re taking a more sci-fi version of that term, any sort of half-world would be in the Mists, and the Mists also contain the spirit realms, alternate realities, parallel universes, alien worlds, and fractals in all its wibbly-wobbly timey-wiminess. The only real big difference between them all is how that plane of existence is governed and separated from the others.

Theoretically, given the resources, if you’re able to travel to one you could also possible get to the others. It all in the matter of if you have the power to get there, if you have the directions, and if you can survive all the matters of beasts in-between.

If they were traveling to the Spirit Realm, I don’t think they could escape the dragon and cut them off along with other races.

in Lore

Erukk.1408

If they were traveling to the Spirit Realm, I don’t think they could escape the dragon and cut them off along with other races.

It depends on how exactly the realms around Tyria (whether they be spirit, metaphysical, other, or all of the above) were connected back then. Because for all that we know, places like the UW, FoW, and DoA weren’t even connected to Tyria as “spirit realms” like they are now, and that connection only came after the ED fell into hibernation when the Six come to Tyria and reworked everything.

Though, it’s easily possible that they could have snuck off onto a small pocket realm somewhere in the Mists and locked themselves away so no one could find them. Like I said earlier, unless you know where you are going (or you’re following something like a beacon like the Six did to find Tyria) you’re blindly wondering around in literally all of possible existence when you’re travelling in the Mist. If the Mursaat found a secluded enough realm in the Mists, the EDs would never be able to find them unless they got absurdly lucky in their search.

Edit: Hmm… It seems I answered my own question from my first post. Oh well. lol

(edited by Erukk.1408)

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

It depends on how exactly the realms around Tyria (whether they be spirit, metaphysical, other, or all of the above) were connected back then. Because for all that we know, places like the UW, FoW, and DoA weren’t even connected to Tyria as “spirit realms” like they are now, and that connection only came after the ED fell into hibernation when the Six come to Tyria and reworked everything.

Though, it’s easily possible that they could have snuck off onto a small pocket realm somewhere in the Mists and locked themselves away so no one could find them. Like I said earlier, unless you know where you are going (or you’re following something like a beacon like the Six did to find Tyria) you’re blindly wondering around in literally all of possible existence when you’re travelling in the Mist. If the Mursaat found a secluded enough realm in the Mists, the EDs would never be able to find them unless they got absurdly lucky in their search.

Edit: Hmm… It seems I answered my own question from my first post. Oh well. lol

Then they should be able to hide themselves from the Titans.

in Lore

Erukk.1408

And that’s the $64,000 question. If they’re phasing ability worked against the ED, why didn’t it work against the much weaker Titans?

It’s only my personal opinion, but I’m thinking along the lines of they did flee to another realm in the Mists (or some of more sci-fi out of sync half-world here on Tyria) to escape the EDs, but for whatever reason they were forced to return to Tyria after some time.

Here, they were forced to deal with Glint’s prophecy about release of the Titans, and with the Bloodstone(s) in place; they lacked the sheer amount of magic they had to work with during the last rise of the ED to make their complete reality phasing magic work. Thus, they were stuck with a weaker incomplete version that only partially phased them out of the world but was still susceptible to Titans and those with True Sight.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

And that’s the $64,000 question. If they’re phasing ability worked against the ED, why didn’t it work against the much weaker Titans?

It’s only my personal opinion, but I’m thinking along the lines of they did flee to another realm in the Mists (or some of more sci-fi out of sync half-world here on Tyria) to escape the EDs, but for whatever reason they were forced to return to Tyria after some time.

Here, they were forced to deal with Glint’s prophecy about release of the Titans, and with the Bloodstone(s) in place; they lacked the sheer amount of magic they had to work with during the last rise of the ED to make their complete reality phasing magic work. Thus, they were stuck with a weaker incomplete version that only partially phased them out of the world but was still susceptible to Titans and those with True Sight.

Actually we can see they were draining magic with their tower and devices, I don’t think it would not be enough even for a group of them to hide away.

Even without their spectral agony working, they are still very powerful magicians, it’s not like they are totally powerless against the Titans as well. They also got their own city deep in the jungle, which the Titans didn’t invade since they were driven off from the jungle quickly.

“Alone, broke, and lost, Saul wandered through a dense forest for several days, surviving on only roots and berries. On the fourth day, delirious with hunger, Saul emerged from the trees to see what he thought was a hallucination—a city of massive towers reaching into the heavens. The architecture was astounding, and the creatures who lived here were unlike any he had ever seen. Walking down into their city, Saul got a closer look at the denizens of this place. They were tall and thin with strange wing-like appendages that waved about in the slightest breeze. When they walked, their feet seemed not to touch the ground, and when they spoke, it was the most melodious sound he had ever heard. Surely these creatures were the stuff of divinity. Hungry and exhausted, his clothes ragged and dirty, Saul dropped to his knees and touched his forehead to the ground. He had found his gods, and they in turn had found their most devoted disciple.
"

Was that referring to the Mursaat stronghold we’ve seen in Ring of Fire Island? Highly UNLIKELY.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I stopped playing new GW1 content after finishing War of Kryta. I’m loosely aware of the Lazarus confrontation later, but was there more Titans Vs Mursaat stuff after the LA Battle?

I should really go back and do the remaining content, but it feels almost too long a gap now.

No. All mursaat v. Titan was off-screen during the finale of Prophecies.

War in Kryta was the last of mursaat stuff in GW1. All that came after was Heart of the North (dealt with White Mantle going into hiding and Gwen/Kieran marriage) and Winds of Change (beginning of Cantha going xenophobic isolationists).

Mordremoth shows no such influence over the Mists and all Zhaitan can do is pull souls from there.

Jormag’s influence is only thanks to the norn (Svanir and the one havroun). Not – as far as we know – an innate ability of his own. And even if it was, which is possible, it would not be enough to search an entire globe.

Furthermore, slipping halfway into the spirit realm is not how they hid from the Elder Dragons – they fully left the world. Slipping halfway into the spirit realm is how they survived the Elder Dragons before fully leaving the world.

Where did it say they were shifting to the spirit realm?

Logical deduction that I explained in the very post you quoted. Re-read.

If they were into the spirit realm, they would not be able to escape Jormag.

Jormag did not have corrupted or captured norn during the last awakening.

And even if Jormag truly did not need havrouns to send his minions into the Mists, there’s still the simple problem that Jormag could not cover all of the world.

And the fact that the mursaat fled the world entirely.

Randall Greystone: Indeed. They worked together once, but the mursaat betrayed the other races and fled from the world, returning as the Unseen Ones.

Also no proof showed the Titans could see through the Mursaat, yes they once were spirits, but not anymore.

The very fact that the mursaat were unable to hide from the titans is proof that the titans could find them while invisible.

Actually we can see they were draining magic with their tower and devices, I don’t think it would not be enough even for a group of them to hide away.

So then tell me, how much magic were they draining and how much magic is needed to hide away (and not just turn invisible)?

Can you tell me, because I sure as hell never saw it mentioned or implied.

Even without their spectral agony working, they are still very powerful magicians, it’s not like they are totally powerless against the Titans as well. They also got their own city deep in the jungle, which the Titans didn’t invade since they were driven off from the jungle quickly.

And it isn’t like the titans aren’t weak either.

And Khilbron sent titans specifically to hunt down the remaining city.

Was that referring to the Mursaat stronghold we’ve seen in Ring of Fire Island? Highly UNLIKELY.

Given how much of Tyria we’ve explored across both games…

It’s actually highly likely that Saul stumbled through a mursaat teleporter.

Whether in GW1 or GW2, we would have come across this “marble city with towers reaching the sky” if it were in the Maguuma Jungle by now.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

Logical deduction that I explained in the very post you quoted. Re-read.

It’s highly unlikely. We don’t see the Norn could escape Jormag like that.

Jormag did not have corrupted or captured norn during the last awakening.

Jormag’s power was not from the norn, he gives his shaman power. That is what shamans are for.

Randall Greystone: Indeed. They worked together once, but the mursaat betrayed the other races and fled from the world, returning as the Unseen Ones.

Which means neither the dragons nor other races could catch them.

The very fact that the mursaat were unable to hide from the titans is proof that the titans could find them while invisible.

No proof showed that, they could be trying to fight the Titans.

So then tell me, how much magic were they draining and how much magic is needed to hide away (and not just turn invisible)?

Can you tell me, because I sure as hell never saw it mentioned or implied.

Certainly more than enough to let a lot of them hide away, their entire race was able to hide from the dragons, when the dragons were drainingthe magic.

And it isn’t like the titans aren’t weak either.

The majority of the titans were not sent out, and a large number of them were dealing with other beings.

And Khilbron sent titans specifically to hunt down the remaining city.

Where? We done see the portals opening to their city, does he even know where was their city?

Given how much of Tyria we’ve explored across both games…

It’s actually highly likely that Saul stumbled through a mursaat teleporter.

Whether in GW1 or GW2, we would have come across this “marble city with towers reaching the sky” if it were in the Maguuma Jungle by now.

Complete nonsense.

If they don’t have a city there, why would they put a portal inside the jungle? If there were teleports to Ring of Fire island, it would be very heavily guarded, there is no way Saul could make it through without meet any of the Mursaat, and the quote was clear, he saw the city through the way to the jungle.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It’s highly unlikely. We don’t see the Norn could escape Jormag like that.

Because only one norn per Spirit of the Wild – at most – can slip into the spirit realm.

They can’t take a whole race with them. Not that the norn would flee like that.

Jormag’s power was not from the norn, he gives his shaman power. That is what shamans are for.

No. His “shamans” are only able to spread his corruption and icebrood powers. Go play the norn storyline “Defend the Mists” – it explains perfectly why Jormag has access to the Mists.

Which means neither the dragons nor other races could catch them.

Exactly what I said…

But the mursaat didn’t leave Tyria during Prophecies. Why? Maybe they couldn’t.

No proof showed that, they could be trying to fight the Titans.

Not the mursaat’s MO. If they can easily avoid fighting and death, they take it.

Even at the cost of another race.

Certainly more than enough to let a lot of them hide away, their entire race was able to hide from the dragons, when the dragons were drainingthe magic.

Source?

The majority of the titans were not sent out, and a large number of them were dealing with other beings.

Actually, the vast majority of titans WERE sent out.

And they attacked dwarves and humans after wiping out the mursaat.

Where? We done see the portals opening to their city, does he even know where was their city?

You say it as if we see all.

He outright states:

Undead Lich: “The Mursaat are being quickly swept away as will all those who stand before my legions.”

So it seems that given he knows so much of them that he would know that he’d have to wipe out this city in order for the mursaat to be “quickly swept away”.

Complete nonsense.

If they don’t have a city there, why would they put a portal inside the jungle? If there were teleports to Ring of Fire island, it would be very heavily guarded, there is no way Saul could make it through without meet any of the Mursaat, and the quote was clear, he saw the city through the way to the jungle.

Why would they put a teleporter in the Shiverpeak Mountains if they don’t have a city there?

To quickly send troops where they may need.

And the quote was clear. He was delirious. And it said forest, not jungle. Forest. Big difference.

But tell me, oh wise one who seems to know all in his years of trolling. Where exactly is this city in the Maguuma? Because we uncover nearly every bloody inch of it across the two games. And not a trace.

Or will you argue that the city is in that small area we haven’t seen yet – the southern half of the fogged area north of Rata Sum?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

Is it not possible that the golden city Saul saw in the Maguuma was Tarir,
occupied by the Mursaat while the Exalted were dormant?

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

No. Tarir was founded after the events of GW1- after Saul stumbled on the mursaat, and indeed, after the mursaat were wiped out.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

No because neither Tarir nor the Exalted existed back then.

in Lore

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Were there any confirmations about their cities being in the Maguuma Jungle? They could be somewhere up in the Verdant Cascades, too.

And could there be a possibility that Lazarus lied about being the last one because he wants to be the single ruler over the White mantle for his personal revenge against Humans and Asura?

in Lore

Bazompora.2635

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

in Lore

Posted by: JayMack.8295

JayMack.8295

Unless I’ve missed something, nothing points to golden structures needing to be in Maguuma, so it could be literally anywhere, if it even exists.

I don’t think Lazarus is lying about being the last of his kind (as far as he knows). The White Mantle have spent a lot of energy and resources to revive him alone and if more of his kind were around, I expect they would have either helped or exposed themselves to the WM by now.

I’m not sure how Mursaat come into existence…with the lore surrounding the Exalted, it’s possible that they go through a similar process. Maybe they were once humans, which is why they have such a tie to humanity in the first place. Have the origins of Mursaat ever been explained? EDIT: I suppose thinking about it, Mursaat actually predate humanity by thousands of years, so they can’t really be originally humans. Still begs the question, though – have their origins ever been explained?

One of the core themes of the Mursaat, though, is that they screw over other races to keep their own floating feet alive. I expect one of Lazarus’ core aims may be increasing the numbers of his own race (however that is achieved) in addition to whatever else his ‘virtuous’ goal is.

(edited by JayMack.8295)

in Lore

darkprecure.6129

Unless I’ve missed something, nothing points to golden structures needing to be in Maguuma, so it could be literally anywhere, if it even exists.

I don’t think Lazarus is lying about being the last of his kind (as far as he knows). The White Mantle have spent a lot of energy and resources to revive him alone and if more of his kind were around, I expect they would have either helped or exposed themselves to the WM by now.

I’m not sure how Mursaat come into existence…with the lore surrounding the Exalted, it’s possible that they go through a similar process. Maybe they were once humans, which is why they have such a tie to humanity in the first place. Have the origins of Mursaat ever been explained?

One of the core themes of the Mursaat, though, is that they screw over other races to keep their own floating feet alive. I expect one of Lazarus’ core aims may be increasing the numbers of his own race (however that is achieved) in addition to whatever else his ‘virtuous’ goal is.

Maybe the others just don’t care about the Human / WM affairs anymore and just hide like last time, because they are affraid of the elder dragons? Primordus stirred during EotN (although he didn’t awake), some of them could have hidden before the War in Kryta happened. Maybe there was a faction who didn’t work together with the “WM-Mursaat” and hid themselves in another corner of tyria?

Mursaat where in tyria long before humanity appeared. They can’t have been humans because they were around when the elder dragons awoke the last time.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Of course not, but in-game text does. And in the game text, they specifically reference several events that occurred during or after GW1 as being in the past- the Elder Dragons beginning to stir and the Brotherhood of the Dwarves passing their charge to the Zephyrites are both mentioned here, and that Rata Novus, the city founded by Zinn after the War in Kryta, was were their allies is a plot point here. All of this was before they went dormant, which means no, the mursaat and Saul couldn’t have stumbled on it.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

Sry but it was never said that the City Saul found was golden. NEVER. He found a City atfer being exiled in a Forest and this City was described as Alabaster White with golden Filigree. Not the pure gold we see with the Exalted Structures.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

No. His “shamans” are only able to spread his corruption and icebrood powers. Go play the norn storyline “Defend the Mists” – it explains perfectly why Jormag has access to the Mists.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Through_the_Veil

Yes, the icebrood can invade the mist.

Exactly what I said…

Yes they can, that’s why they were called the Unseen Ones.

Not the mursaat’s MO. If they can easily avoid fighting and death, they take it.

Who knows, they have stuff to defend.

Source?

Tons of Mursaat in the Prophecies

No they weren’t. The gate was closed soon enough.

The ones on Shiverpeak Mountains, not in their city.

He outright states:

Undead Lich: “The Mursaat are being quickly swept away as will all those who stand before my legions.”

He was referring to the ones in the mountain and the islands, not the city.

So it seems that given he knows so much of them that he would know that he’d have to wipe out this city in order for the mursaat to be “quickly swept away”.

What does he know about the Mursaat? All he knew was the stuff from the Prophecy.

Why would they put a teleporter in the Shiverpeak Mountains if they don’t have a city there?

Because they have important business there, tell me if they put on in the jungle, for what purpose? And the one on the mountain was heavily guarded.

And the quote was clear. He was delirious. And it said forest, not jungle. Forest. Big difference.

There is no forest in the island, just rocks and lava.

But tell me, oh wise one who seems to know all in his years of trolling. Where exactly is this city in the Maguuma? Because we uncover nearly every bloody inch of it across the two games. And not a trace.

Or will you argue that the city is in that small area we haven’t seen yet – the southern half of the fogged area north of Rata Sum?

No, we only uncovered part of the jungle, that’s not a good way to argue.

in Lore

Bazompora.2635

Sry but it was never said that the City Saul found was golden. NEVER. He found a City atfer being exiled in a Forest and this City was described as Alabaster White with golden Filigree. Not the pure gold we see with the Exalted Structures.

We both remembered wrong: it was described as alabaster and golden filigree. So, it was golden, like I said, but also, as you say, not the “pure” gold of Exalted structures. Anyway, I no longer entertain the possibility now.

in Lore

Posted by: Manimarco Devil.1790

Manimarco Devil.1790

I always thought it was odd that it is continuously claimed the Mursaat had been completely wiped out. It made sense they sent a large faction to defend the Fire Islands but I thought their main city was in Janthir considering we use the Eye of Janthir to find the chosen. But now that Lazarus is also saying he is the last of the Mursaat unless he is mistaken from being half-dead for so long.

I wonder if he would try to use the power he absorbed to revive his brethren. It would lead nicely into the Fire Islands maps.

Battlelord Taeres

in Lore

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

I couldn’t actually find an ingame reference to the Titans being some super-special-musaat-killing-machines.

Infact glint says it’s the chosen who will defeat the mursaat. Perhaps they were more worried about their white mantle follows being crushed by an endless tide of titans and then being driven back into hiding, ending their short rule of kryta.

As for the mursaat all dying, after the war with dragons maybe there just wasn’t that many left who then decided to flee. We did kill alot of them in southern shiverpeaks and ring of fire and then latter in War in kryta. The battle for lions arch did come off as an all or nothing type attack.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Saul didn’t stumble into a golden city. The mursaat city was alabaster with golden filigree. There is a HUGE difference.

And as stated, Tarir came to be post-GW1.

Were there any confirmations about their cities being in the Maguuma Jungle? They could be somewhere up in the Verdant Cascades, too.

And could there be a possibility that Lazarus lied about being the last one because he wants to be the single ruler over the White mantle for his personal revenge against Humans and Asura?

We don’t know where the one city was. All we know is that Saul stumbled, delirious, through a forest after being ridden out in an unknown means of transport for a week. That’s what we’re told – a forest, a week ride out.

But what kind of ride? Dolyak? Horse? Boat? Hell, a griffon!? We don’t know.

And what kind of forest? Again, we don’t know.

No, but in-game dialogue does.

ArenaNet loves to estimate dates, though why they did 300 instead of their usual 250 is unknown.

But it’s outright stated dozens of times in game by the Exalted themselves that they came to be at the same time as the Zephyrites, after the events of Eye of the North, when the dwarves and the Brotherhood of the Dragon were dying out.

There’s also the fact that we go where Tarir is in GW1 and it’s not there.

I’m not sure how Mursaat come into existence…with the lore surrounding the Exalted, it’s possible that they go through a similar process. Maybe they were once humans, which is why they have such a tie to humanity in the first place. Have the origins of Mursaat ever been explained? EDIT: I suppose thinking about it, Mursaat actually predate humanity by thousands of years, so they can’t really be originally humans. Still begs the question, though – have their origins ever been explained?

They are an ancient flesh and blood race. Their origins would be no different than humanity on Earth or on Tyria (read: evolved from other races or came to the world via portals and whatnot).

They are NOTHING like the Exalted, which are energy beings housed within armor.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Through_the_Veil

Yes, the icebrood can invade the mist.

And if you bothered to go further in that very storyline by two steps:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Into_the_Mists

It outright states that the only reason they can do such is because they captured the Wolf Havroun while he had opened a portal and is hijacking said portal.

Exactly what I said…

Yes they can, that’s why they were called the Unseen Ones.

No, they were called the Unseen Ones because they could be invisible, not because they could leave the world.

If that was so, then the Six Gods would be called the Unseen Ones. Dessa would be called the Unseen One. Rytlock would be. Our characters from both games would be.

Who knows, they have stuff to defend.

Such as?

Oh, right. Nothing but their lives.

Source?

Tons of Mursaat in the Prophecies

Does not give the source that they either required or took lots of magic.

No they weren’t. The gate was closed soon enough.

Not until hundreds upon hundreds had escaped. Unless you don’t remember the Titan quests after the final mission.

The ones on Shiverpeak Mountains, not in their city.

The titans attacked humans across Tyria – from Maguuma to Ascalon. Their city is somewhere in Tyria, presumably. Khilbron stats he wiped out the remaining mursaat.

He outright states:

He was referring to the ones in the mountain and the islands, not the city.

He was referring to all mursaat in general. That would include the mountains, Ring of Fire, and yes, even in Kryta and their city.

What does he know about the Mursaat? All he knew was the stuff from the Prophecy.

And as we were shown in GW2, he studied the mursaat artifacts before the events of Prophecies (he has a mursaat statue in his tower). He likely studied the mursaat artifacts from Arah, since that’s where he got the scroll – so it’s obvious he had access to those vaults which held the jotun, forgotten, mursaat, and seer artifacts (whether or not he was legally allowed to have such access).

Because they have important business there, tell me if they put on in the jungle, for what purpose? And the one on the mountain was heavily guarded.

I just told you the purpose.

And no, the one outside Thunderhead Keep was left unguarded entirely – if you ran out there instead of defending Jalis you’d see that.

There is no forest in the island, just rocks and lava.

No mention of the forest around the city itself.

It’s an unlikely but entirely plausible theory. There is nothing in your quote that debunks it.

No, we only uncovered part of the jungle, that’s not a good way to argue.

Please point out then where we have not uncovered that is plausible for Saul to have traveled to. In GW2 we go nearly all the way to the edge of the map, which would mean Saul went beyond Tyria. Beyond the Maguuma as we know it. Could he truly have gotten that far on foot (it would have to be on foot, given that the week long ride was from Shaemoor area, so they would probably only get as far as Fort Koga in that week long ride).

Could a delirious man had made it through one of the most dangerous places on continental Tyria with no food or drink to the other side of said dangerous area, full of man-eating plants, saurians, and more?

Doubtful.

I always thought it was odd that it is continuously claimed the Mursaat had been completely wiped out. It made sense they sent a large faction to defend the Fire Islands but I thought their main city was in Janthir considering we use the Eye of Janthir to find the chosen. But now that Lazarus is also saying he is the last of the Mursaat unless he is mistaken from being half-dead for so long.

I wonder if he would try to use the power he absorbed to revive his brethren. It would lead nicely into the Fire Islands maps.

Nothing ever said that it was mursaat who lived on Janthir. All we’re told is that Saul went there and retrieved the Eye of Janthir from individuals with the Gift of True Sight.

They could have been mursaat. Or they could have been other fanatics of mursaat like the White Mantle. Or they could have been subjugated by the mursaat. Or even wiped out by mursaat (or other groups) and Saul took the Eye from wreckage and ruins.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Do their spectral agony indicate that they are very twisted and tormented beings? if so after death wouldn’t they go in torment realm? I don’t recall seeing any mursaat’ look-like things in realm of torment in nightfall. Ofc assuming that we saw whole realm of torment.

About mursaat being wiped we can never assume things like that: devs can pull plot twists as much as they want like: “being wiped? only those that heroes from 250 encountered, but how much those heroes could know – only as much they could see, the world is vast” etc..

They same can go for dwarens, forgotten and jotuns and seers. What death means for each of race. Pulling "rebirth’’ of mursaat, pulling rebirth of anyone. How much of death was Lazarus, dired of life force, dried of magic, with destroyed flesh and blood, w/o any reamins, w/o malice and torment?

in Lore

Bazompora.2635

Saul didn’t stumble into a golden city. The mursaat city was alabaster with golden filigree. There is a HUGE difference.

The mursaat city was alabaster AND golden filigree. I already had conceded my mistake on it, but the precise description has a huge difference from BOTH a city of massive gold AND the mursaat structures of massive nonmetal mineral found on the Ring of Fire.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Do their spectral agony indicate that they are very twisted and tormented beings? if so after death wouldn’t they go in torment realm? I don’t recall seeing any mursaat’ look-like things in realm of torment in nightfall. Ofc assuming that we saw whole realm of torment.

The Realm of Torment wasn’t strictly (or necessarily) for “very twisted and tormented beings” truth be told. It was Abaddon’s realm and was where all things touched by Abaddon went. Good or bad.

Further, we never really see non-humans in the afterlives, when it comes to sapient races, with some very rare exceptions like the charr killed in the Cataclysm and some centaurs in the Fissure of Woe.

About mursaat being wiped we can never assume things like that: devs can pull plot twists as much as they want like: “being wiped? only those that heroes from 250 encountered, but how much those heroes could know – only as much they could see, the world is vast” etc..

Lazarus calls himself the last. If anyone would believe there might be more mursaat out there, it’d be him.

They same can go for dwarens, forgotten and jotuns and seers. What death means for each of race. Pulling "rebirth’’ of mursaat, pulling rebirth of anyone. How much of death was Lazarus, dired of life force, dried of magic, with destroyed flesh and blood, w/o any reamins, w/o malice and torment?

Dwarves are known to have all undergone the Rite of the Great Dwarf. They are all stone. This is an undesputed fact.

It’s also stated by “the Last Forgotten” that even he was not long for the world of Tyria – of course this doesn’t mean extinction, since we know the Forgotten are capable of leaving the world. So they, at least, can return.

And Lazarus was never dead. What happened to him was that a fragment of his soul was altered and twisted. His “rebirth” wasn’t a literal “come back from the dead” situation but instead a “back from a terminal situation”. Like kitten patient making a recovery.

The mursaat city was alabaster AND golden filigree. I already had conceded my mistake on it, but the precise description has a huge difference from BOTH a city of massive gold AND the mursaat structures of massive nonmetal mineral found on the Ring of Fire.

I was responding in order, and had written that up before your successive posts.

Couldn’t press post due to being in a rush though so it only submitted a few hours after writing, and I hadn’t reread the thread yet.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Avatar Rage.4369

Super quick summery for those clicking on here and freaking out at the masses of text.

Mursaat were/are super powerful mages that hid in the mists. They gained control of the mists either during or before the last rise of the Elder dragons. Their control of the mists allowed them to use powerful abilities like Spectral Agony.

During GW1 they were brought to the edge of extinction by the player character. This was done both directly, by killing them and indirectly by releasing the titans.

Lazarus the Dire brought himself back by tricking the player during an EotN quest line. The Mursaat that survived the initial attack where killed in the first Battle of Lions Arch.

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I like how these kind of threads always turn into a “battle of the lore titans”.
It’s like watching a wrestling match

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

Even after reading all the very informed posts here, I still can’t grasp the concept of the Mursaat actually rushing themselves into battle and dying. Could the Titans really track them so well inside the mists?

What I mean is, what is the actual nature of the gift of true sight? If they are merely invisible in a literal sense, Titans or us being able to see them is still no good, if they can simply hop onto the mists to a random fractal/unformed region and keep running potentially forever from danger. Why even come back after their first dragon rise? What is there in Tyria that was so precious to them, if they were scared enough to run away in the first place?

Maybe there are some long term effects of being inside the mists, the Mursaat didn’t want to neither could undertake. Or maybe it required juicy Tyrian magic that they ran out of, or maybe there is something actually keeping them here, but Anet, if I recall, never really explained that out. The concept of the Mursaat race is amazing but this particular point is pretty much a blank on their lore. I hope (actually, I profoundly expect) that whatever Lazarus’ virtuous goals comprise, will finally explain out what is the deal with Mursaat and the Mists.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Even after reading all the very informed posts here, I still can’t grasp the concept of the Mursaat actually rushing themselves into battle and dying. Could the Titans really track them so well inside the mists?

It is possibel that the mursaat weren’t able to leave the world of Tyria during Prophecies – if they could, why wouldn’t they instead of trying to keep the door closed? Furthermore, Scholar Yissa states that they used “powerful magic” – with magic being drained into the Elder Dragons and the Bloodstone, maybe that powerful magic wasn’t accessible at the time.

Unless, of course, the titans were chasing them across the Mists and Tyria was the only known safe haven for them from the titans. I find that a bit doubtful, however, given how the titans are most likely either largely just a natural occurrence of tormented souls or can only come to be from the ritual that made those in the Realm of Torment – and they were only in large numbers in the Realm of Torment due to The Fury creating them.

Why even come back after their first dragon rise? What is there in Tyria that was so precious to them, if they were scared enough to run away in the first place?

My theory is, given how when they finally returned they established themselves as gods to humans, that the mursaat returned to Tyria in order to rule the races.

Further, other words may not have (as much) magic like Tyria does – the little hints and lore we have on the human homeworld is that it was highly lacking in magic. Other worlds may be the same, making Tyria unique.

Hmm, this gives me a thought: What if there are mursaat out in the Mists incapable of returning to Tyria due to lack of magic, and their purpose for returning was to gather enough magic to bring the other mursaat back to Tyria (thus why they were all focused on the Bloodstones and still are)? Maybe Lazarus’ “noble plan” is to bring back the mursaat – either in resurrection, or what remains of his people out in another world?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

Haven’t scrolled all the way through the thread so if this was already answered I apologize,

It was explained I believe during the Titan arc (Prophecies Bonus) that the Titans were hunting down the Mursaat. Abaddon had it out for them for some strange reason that Season 3 just happened to get me wondering. I mean, why predict one’s downfall knowing full well said one would do whatever it took to prevent that from happening if you knew full well said one was going to be defeated.

But they survived many of the Titans as I believe War in Kryta implied. Which is why they were able to gather all their hierarchy in an attempt to establish a flank against Kryta.

My guess is Lazarus is trying to go back to his “home” or the Isles of Janthir and their “golden city” because what is more virtuous to someone if they aren’t going to keep their end of the bargain in swearing vengeance – unless of course by establishing a connection with home of course brings all other Mursaat into the fold and then they all lay siege.

Simply put, the Mursaat were not 99% wiped out. It was only their foot hold on Kryta that was threatened. Think of it like in a time of war fighting off an invading force, that doesn’t mean their homeland goes with them unless you are to slaughter their forces and press onward. GW1 Heroes didn’t get that opportunity.

(edited by Ronin.7381)

in Lore

darkprecure.6129

Fighting and dieing during the Battle of Lion’s Arch would have been incredibly foolish, if they were the last surviving individuals of the Mursaat race.

Why were they fighting in Lion’s Arch instead of hiding and reproducing to bring back their race to former “Glory”? Were they so stupid to think the last few Mursaat would be enough to fight against the hero who already vanquished many of them during the Prophecies Missions and the Shining Blade? Why would they take the risk of becoming extinct if their numbers were already so low?

Were the Mursaat just fools (thinking they were god-like and able to win the War in Kryta) or did they have some kind of plan?

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

There are a few explanations I can think of:

The most basic is that it’s possible that the mursaat realised there was no replenishing their numbers. While we don’t know how they reproduce, seven is a pretty small number to bounce back from: it may be that all the mursaat of a given sex were wiped out, they may have felt that any children they did have would be too inbred to survive more than a few generations anyway, or some other reason why replenishing their species was not viable. If they believed their kind was doomed, then risking their lives in some cause – such as revenge for the death of their species or turning Kryta into a successor civilisation to the mursaat so they can live in by proxy – might have been something they considered was worth the risk.

It’s possible that they had a plan for replenishing their species, but it required that they retain control of Kryta for some reason.

It’s possible that it was a ‘best defence is a good offence’ move: the mursaat believed that the Shining Blade and Ascended heroes would keep trying to track them down and wipe them out whatever they did, so that it was better for the mursaat to gamble on the possibility of wiping out their enemies than wait to be hunted down.

Another possibility is that they didn’t care about Kryta themselves, but they did care about keeping control of the White Mantle, and the White Mantle essentially pushed them to it. While the White Mantle are religious fanatics, there were likely degrees (like there are now), with some having complete faith, some having conditional faith, some being in it mostly for power, and so on. For the mursaat to have given up on maintaining hold of Kryta would probably have meant losing those White Mantle with a power motivation, and surrendering Kryta could have shaken the faith of the remainder in the divinity of the Unseen, causing all but the most sincerely devout to abandon them… and it’s possible that most of the sincerely devout had already been killed off during the events of Prophecies.

(Lazarus does seem to have the luxury of abandoning Kryta, but after two and a half centuries, this is no longer a case of giving up on what you’ve got, and more one of choosing to do something other than reclaiming what hasn’t been White Mantle territory for centuries. From the perspective of the modern White Mantle, Lazarus giving up on Kryta would be no worse than Kryta giving up on reclaiming Ascalon from the Charr – there may be some division there, but there are probably enough of the devout White Mantle that would be happy to not continue a fight that they’ve made no ground on for over two hundred years… and Lazarus has already shown what he thinks of Caudecus’ faction.)

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

And if you bothered to go further in that very storyline by two steps:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Into_the_Mists

It outright states that the only reason they can do such is because they captured the Wolf Havroun while he had opened a portal and is hijacking said portal.

No.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Destroy_the_corrupted_portals_summoning_creatures_from_the_mists

No, they were called the Unseen Ones because they could be invisible, not because they could leave the world.

If that was so, then the Six Gods would be called the Unseen Ones. Dessa would be called the Unseen One. Rytlock would be. Our characters from both games would be.

Yes they can, that was their magic, to leave phase from the world..

If that was so, all the mesmers could be called the Unseen Ones.

Such as?

Oh, right. Nothing but their lives.

Their city, their power on Tyria.

Does not give the source that they either required or took lots of magic.

They don’t.

Not until hundreds upon hundreds had escaped. Unless you don’t remember the Titan quests after the final mission.

No, only Ascalon and the North got some, the ones in Kryta was took out by the Lionguards, the ones in the Jungle was easily taken out by the players plus some shining blades.

The titans attacked humans across Tyria – from Maguuma to Ascalon. Their city is somewhere in Tyria, presumably. Khilbron stats he wiped out the remaining mursaat.

Where? We don’t see a portal into their city at all.

He was referring to all mursaat in general. That would include the mountains, Ring of Fire, and yes, even in Kryta and their city.

Proof? His portal didn’t even open on the Mursaat city at all.

And as we were shown in GW2, he studied the mursaat artifacts before the events of Prophecies (he has a mursaat statue in his tower). He likely studied the mursaat artifacts from Arah, since that’s where he got the scroll – so it’s obvious he had access to those vaults which held the jotun, forgotten, mursaat, and seer artifacts (whether or not he was legally allowed to have such access).

Nothing in Arah told us where their city was.

I just told you the purpose.

And no, the one outside Thunderhead Keep was left unguarded entirely – if you ran out there instead of defending Jalis you’d see that.

What purpose?

We defeated all the incoming forces from the Mursaat and the White Mantle from outside, then went to the gate. Don’t try to ignore and play fallacy.

No mention of the forest around the city itself.

It’s an unlikely but entirely plausible theory. There is nothing in your quote that debunks it.

Throughout the forest, he found the city, tell me where is the forest near the city?

Others also quoted the city was totally different than the stronghold on Ring of Fire island.

Please point out then where we have not uncovered that is plausible for Saul to have traveled to. In GW2 we go nearly all the way to the edge of the map, which would mean Saul went beyond Tyria. Beyond the Maguuma as we know it. Could he truly have gotten that far on foot (it would have to be on foot, given that the week long ride was from Shaemoor area, so they would probably only get as far as Fort Koga in that week long ride).

Could a delirious man had made it through one of the most dangerous places on continental Tyria with no food or drink to the other side of said dangerous area, full of man-eating plants, saurians, and more?

You use a current game map to say we’ve went through everything? That’s funny.

in Lore

Slowpokeking.8720

There are a few explanations I can think of:

The most basic is that it’s possible that the mursaat realised there was no replenishing their numbers. While we don’t know how they reproduce, seven is a pretty small number to bounce back from: it may be that all the mursaat of a given sex were wiped out, they may have felt that any children they did have would be too inbred to survive more than a few generations anyway, or some other reason why replenishing their species was not viable. If they believed their kind was doomed, then risking their lives in some cause – such as revenge for the death of their species or turning Kryta into a successor civilisation to the mursaat so they can live in by proxy – might have been something they considered was worth the risk.

It’s possible that they had a plan for replenishing their species, but it required that they retain control of Kryta for some reason.

It’s possible that it was a ‘best defence is a good offence’ move: the mursaat believed that the Shining Blade and Ascended heroes would keep trying to track them down and wipe them out whatever they did, so that it was better for the mursaat to gamble on the possibility of wiping out their enemies than wait to be hunted down.

Another possibility is that they didn’t care about Kryta themselves, but they did care about keeping control of the White Mantle, and the White Mantle essentially pushed them to it. While the White Mantle are religious fanatics, there were likely degrees (like there are now), with some having complete faith, some having conditional faith, some being in it mostly for power, and so on. For the mursaat to have given up on maintaining hold of Kryta would probably have meant losing those White Mantle with a power motivation, and surrendering Kryta could have shaken the faith of the remainder in the divinity of the Unseen, causing all but the most sincerely devout to abandon them… and it’s possible that most of the sincerely devout had already been killed off during the events of Prophecies.

(Lazarus does seem to have the luxury of abandoning Kryta, but after two and a half centuries, this is no longer a case of giving up on what you’ve got, and more one of choosing to do something other than reclaiming what hasn’t been White Mantle territory for centuries. From the perspective of the modern White Mantle, Lazarus giving up on Kryta would be no worse than Kryta giving up on reclaiming Ascalon from the Charr – there may be some division there, but there are probably enough of the devout White Mantle that would be happy to not continue a fight that they’ve made no ground on for over two hundred years… and Lazarus has already shown what he thinks of Caudecus’ faction.)

From what we saw from the Mursaat, they were very careful about their existence and cares little about ruling everything, they didn’t get involved with the younger races until the Prophecy and Saul had found them. They chose to use the White Mantle because of the Prophecy, and they killed Saul’s buddy to keep their secret.

After the Prophecy was fulfilled and the Lich Lord was killed, I don’t see most of the remaining Mursaat have much reason to keep coming out to fight when the world had thought them being destroyed, it was their perfect chance to hide and regain their strength. Even if they intended to keep their reign, they would have stayed behind the stage and use the humans to do so, that was what they were doing for a long while during the Prophecies.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Did we ever find out why Glint wanted the Mursaat killed?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

No, but nothing says that she “wanted” them killed either, only that she foresaw it and decided to assist the heroes.

Her words at the end of Prophecies make it sound more like she wanted to stop Khilbron and the titan threat, especially since she sends the heroes after the titans that made it through the portals. Stopping the tyrannical mursaat was just a plus by all indications in GW1.

But that was before they made the lore about the betrayal of other races in the plight against the Elder Dragons.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

Was it ever explained WHY the Titans wanted the Mursaat dead?

I know Khilbron takes the Scepter and uses that to control them, but it seems as though the Titans wanted the Mursaat dead anyway?

Is this ever explained? What’s their motivation?

noice

in Lore

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Was it ever explained WHY the Titans wanted the Mursaat dead?

I know Khilbron takes the Scepter and uses that to control them, but it seems as though the Titans wanted the Mursaat dead anyway?

Is this ever explained? What’s their motivation?

The Vizier sent the titans out, and the titans just destroy whatever they can cause that’s what they do. The mursaat want tyria, not in shambles, so they are forced to fight them or risk their white mantle getting crushed by the titans and forever losing their foothold.

That’s my take on it anyhow. The mursaat lacked backstory in gw1 because it just wasn’t written. I don’t think the game was intended to be pve oriented and prophecies ended up skin deep compared to guild wars franchise today. That’s not to say that prophecies alone didn’t have any depth, there is quite a lot of discreet stuff.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The titans and mursaat are said to be ancient foes in GW1, IIRC, so there’s probably a long-lasting hatred that, sadly, is not ever explained.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

Did the Mursaat always employ soul energy to their crafts? That would be a good reason for a pile of tormented souls twisted into monstrosity hunt them down for eternity.