How did the Foefire happen?

in Lore

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

So we have two conflicting sources here – the in-game Ascalonian Catacombs cutscenes that clearly depict one chain of events:
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Foefire

Then we have the novel Ghosts of Ascalon that clearly shows a completely different version:
https://books.google.ro/books?id=JCdvWS67-DEC&pg=PA126&lpg=PA126&dq=magdaer+claw+of+the&source=bl&ots=CY-AyvVzK3&sig=dZfiAzt4JMZBrwKb9UYSr-LomEk&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=magdaer%20claw%20of%20the&f=false

I’m asking – as this interests me greatly – which of these is considered canon? Have Anet ever made any official statements?
Which do you consider true as players and lore lovers?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Actually, you get two accounts of the Foefire in Ghosts of Ascalon. The charr version, which is the same as what Rytlock tells us in the in-game cutscene, seems to be the true one- it’s drawn from two different witnesses, whereas the human’s story seems to have just been made up.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Scratcherclaw.2713

Scratcherclaw.2713

Both accounts are likely fibbed to some extent to make each side look better. Also, not saying that the Charr version is wrong, but history is written by the victors. There weren’t exactly human witnesses, since they perished, so not exactly a fair argument.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Both accounts are likely fibbed to some extent to make each side look better. Also, not saying that the Charr version is wrong, but history is written by the victors. There weren’t exactly human witnesses, since they perished, so not exactly a fair argument.

Except one of the witnesses was a human ghost. Adelbern murdered his servant before the Foefire, and he dodged the mindless insanity, presumably by coming back before the curse.

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Prior to GW2 release GW1 had something similar to ‘living story’. For example one of the component was ‘Winds of Change’. In another component was the instance of where PC had come into the aid of King Adelbern. At the end of this instance PC witnessed in first person the cinematic of King Adelbern’s full story and drama of releasing the Foefire. However, subsequent story in game in GW2 contradicted some understanding of what was shown before and devs’ confirmation that these few changes and contradictions are really perceptions from a different racial perspective namely from the char.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

In another component was the instance of where PC had come into the aid of King Adelbern. At the end of this instance PC witnessed in first person the cinematic of King Adelbern’s full story and drama of releasing the Foefire.

Ah… no. That’s not true at all. Adelbern never appeared in Guild Wars Beyond, and those plot lines ended a full decade before the Foefire.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

In another component was the instance of where PC had come into the aid of King Adelbern. At the end of this instance PC witnessed in first person the cinematic of King Adelbern’s full story and drama of releasing the Foefire.

Ah… no. That’s not true at all. Adelbern never appeared in Guild Wars Beyond, and those plot lines ended a full decade before the Foefire.

But, I did saw the cinematic of King Adelberm’s Foefire at the end of the instance where I the PC failed to rescue King Adelbern from the Char armies.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

What you saw was not GW1 at all. Beyond consisted of three stories: War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, and Winds of Change. They were focused on the Krytan civil war, finding Kieran Thackeray and his wedding to Gwen, and the Ministry of Purity’s power over Cantha respectively.

See link.

There were plans to make a Beyond chapter for Ascalon, but this was to show the establishment of Ebonhawke – basically, the events of The Founding.

If you saw a cinematic of the Foefire, you either saw the Ascalon Catacombs story mode entrance cinematic (which didn’t have the PC in any way, shape, or form and is part of GW2 not GW1), or you saw something made 100% by fans.

@Harper: As Aaron said, Ghosts of Ascalon tells two sides to the story, the human side and the charr side. But humans had no idea what happened as there were no human survivors for miles around so their accounting was fully made up – unless it got changed, the human accounting should be documented on the wiki’s Foefire entry (it was originally). The charr side had living charr witnesses to tell it (they were tied to posts on The Viewing Hill and were able to see the events from far enough to survive), which were mostly supported by Savione, a human ghost and Adelbern’s chief courtier.

The AC intro cinematic shows a dumbed down version of the charr/Savione’s telling, being truthful but lacking a lot of details.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

No not the AC remake, the original version at the end of the instance where the PC failed to rescue King Adelbern from the hordes of Char before GW 2.

Edit: That was in-game.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No not the AC remake, the original version at the end of the instance where the PC failed to rescue King Adelbern from the hordes of Char before GW 2.

Edit: That was in-game.

That never happened.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Harper.4173

@Avariz can you provide a video of the content you mention?
Nobody else seems to know what you’re refering to exactly.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

Sorry the patch and update that came with it is stored in a hard drive of a computer that broken down and which I had thrown away. And I have no intention of reinstalling GW1 in my current computer and tried to get the relevant patch from Anet to see if it is still available.

Besides Anet is constantly adjusting and changing their old game/story to fit their current plan and outlook to the way forward I found.

*shrugs

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Sorry the patch and update that came with it is stored in a hard drive of a computer that broken down and which I had thrown away. And I have no intention of reinstalling GW1 in my current computer and tried to get the relevant patch from Anet to see if it is still available.

Besides Anet is constantly adjusting and changing their old game/story to fit their current plan and outlook to the way forward I found.

*shrugs

Yeah, how convenient.

Or maybe, just maybe, what you claim never actually happened.

I have played GW1 weekly since a few months after release of Prophecies, and there have never been a situation as the one you describe.

The only situation where we even defended Adelbern at all was http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Last_Day_Dawns, and that was against Titans and if he was defeated/killed you failed the quest and had to restart. It also took place many years before the Foefire at a completely different place.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

*shrugs

ArenaNet has changed NOTHING about GW1 dialogue, ever. Whatever they’ve added, they’ve kept.

And what you say never happened – in any way, shape, or form.

If such a thing existed, then it would have been a fan-made cinematic and not actually experienced in the game.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Harper.4173

Pretty sure we’ve at least got consensus on what didn’t happen lol.

Still – it would be cool to know for sure. Either version is cool but I honestly tend to not believe the charr.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, we have first hand statements from Savione on what happened told to us in Ghosts of Ascalon, which was – for the most part – aligned with the charr’s version.

So it’s less ‘the charr’s version’ but more of ‘first hand recounting from both charr and human’ (or ‘the charr and human’s version’ for short I guess).

Dear ANet writers,