How do I become a Revenant?

in Lore

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

We can’t all be losing Sohothin like Rytlock did. How did my Revenant become a Revenant?

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey.

The power of the Revenant is being unlocked through time and space by Rytlock, who aquired it in the Mist.
Because the Mists are everything, it ripples though them, changing the reality we all knew into one, where Revenants are commonplace, even though Rytlock is officialy the first to ever exist.

Unfortunatly Revenants are created and placed, they don`t really come with a explanation, aside from: It`s magic, deal with it

Luckily the mists come with one great advantage: Suspension of disbelief which is changing the minds of everyone in this reality of Tyria, so no one will every question or really aknowledge the fact that you are a revenant or that these even exist, till Rytlock enters the proper Timesteam again.

Or you know… the developers had some kind of cool idea, but didn`t had the ressources to impliment it right, resulting in former statement: It`s magic, deal with it

There is some blog post about roleplaying though, but that won`t really answer your question either.
You are just a Revenant, without any real backstory, since our good friend Rytlock decided to keep his snout shut and didn`t spill the beans on where or how he got his sword back and became a magical reality splitting ninja, who hears voices.

in Lore

Posted by: Doug Whisper.2465

Doug Whisper.2465

If you watch the latest guild chat stream they seemed to imply their underlying design principle “gameplay first and lore second”.

In GW1 there are quest line tell us how to earn our profession skills. In GW2, they never tell us how our characters how to learn and master our profession. They just magically unlock as we do things in the world.

(edited by Doug Whisper.2465)

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Considering the HoT storyline was meant to be about Mordremoth, they’ll probably do a whole plot-line revolving around Revenants and Rytlock at a later date in LS3 or some other kind of storyline.

Everything we know about Revenants is contained in this blog post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-role-playing-the-revenant/

One thing i’d like to point out is the following quote, because people running around declaring that all Revenants MUST go to The Mists or they’re not a Revenant is bugging me, when it clearly states the following in the blog post:

“a brand-new revenant starting on their journey will not have had to visit the Mists or undergo any more of an advanced process to access revenant powers than they would for the other core professions.”

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Considering the HoT storyline was meant to be about Mordremoth, they’ll probably do a whole plot-line revolving around Revenants and Rytlock at a later date in LS3 or some other kind of storyline.

Everything we know about Revenants is contained in this blog post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-role-playing-the-revenant/

One thing i’d like to point out is the following quote, because people running around declaring that all Revenants MUST go to The Mists or they’re not a Revenant is bugging me, when it clearly states the following in the blog post:

“a brand-new revenant starting on their journey will not have had to visit the Mists or undergo any more of an advanced process to access revenant powers than they would for the other core professions.”

Yeah, so far the statement of: “It`s magic, we don`t have to explain”, sadly still rings true.

Also, I don`t believe they will fix all plotholes they dug so far with the fabled LS3.
It`s like believing that FF15, former Versus-13, a side-story, will be the saviour of the franchise.
It could bring trust back, but it won`t reach the full capacity a full fledged release would have done (analogy to the narrow HoT story)

in Lore

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

A wizard did it!

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

Revenant = Ritualist updated.
So read books about ritualism at Durmand’s Priory and look for a ritualist master to teach you.

in Lore

Posted by: Polarfairy.8046

Polarfairy.8046

Revenant outside of Guild wars 2 generally means a ghost or a re-animated body that had previously passed on. It’s taken from latin meaning “to return”. There are hundreds of myths and tales from history of revenants with a number of different descriptions. Some drink blood like vampires, some hunt flesh like zombies, some even shape shift into great lumbering beasts as they flee into the night. Because of this, my theory on the Revenant is that like Rytlock our characters technically died. Perhaps the ritual he performed and his actions in the mists caused the veil between us and the afterlife to weaken a little, allowing heroes and brave warriors of the past to bleed through, bringing little bits of history with us. That’s just my take on it anyway. Of course this doesn’t at all work with the character creation stories we go through but.. you know, we ignore that bit

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

ArenaNet kind of outright stated that the profession name doesn’t mean characters had to die.

More likely the name refers to how the legends are returning through the revenant. Even if the legends are merely echoes and not the true individual.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Polarfairy.8046

Polarfairy.8046

I do wish we had a separate starting story for revenants, or a least a quest line where rytlock tells us what the heck is going on. I mean it’s pretty weird that all revenants can only summon the same 4 legends if you think about it, there has to be a story behind that. My theory is just my own filler till they give us a real one >_<

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t think there’s a story behind it at all.

I mean, wouldn’t it be weird for all necromancers to create the same 6 kinds of minions? In lore, I doubt that’s the case – in fact, we know it isn’t because Ghosts of Ascalon has Killeen create a minion out of a fresh corpse as well as a pile of bones and being very much like its original shape..

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

I mean, wouldn’t it be weird for all necromancers to create the same 6 kinds of minions? In lore, I doubt that’s the case – in fact, we know it isn’t because Ghosts of Ascalon has Killeen create a minion out of a fresh corpse as well as a pile of bones and being very much like its original shape..

Isn`t it more like this:
The things we as players are able to do are only part of what the whole profession is able to do.
Like Majory has no problem erecting a bone bridge or Kasmeer summoning dozens of phantasm to her aid.

It`s easier to asume that the abilities our character is able to perform is basicaly just a certain branch . Like a certain fighting style in martial arts.
Each move there has a purpose.
If you learn a Kata (a series of movements), each move is based on attacking or defending against attacks.
Everyone learns these moves, till they become muscle memory.

If you are an elementalist you learned that the spell that flys to the enemy and comes back looks like a bird and is called phoenix in public conciousness.

If you are a necromancer, you learned from your master/books/friends/nature that a pointy tip, claws and a hulking body is great to take damage and knock things over, resulting in the current design of the flesh golem.

There is a natural evolution of things and our abilities represented in the game ight be just one reflection of them.

Of course we might be able to do much more.

One thing I have to disagree however: story
We know that Rytlock went to the mist and came back as a revenant and with him Revenants were a thing through time and space. The End.

The other professions have history, schools, development, basics.
The Revenant has nothing at this point, beside theories.

there is a need for a common revenant backstory, that works retroactively without Rytlock, as his new powers could just be the herald , instead of every other legend, Revenants learn before HoT.

I know of none RPG that integrated a new class, without some explanation how it came to be.

Right now, the Revenant just is, but didn`t came to be.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

I do wish we had a separate starting story for revenants, or a least a quest line where rytlock tells us what the heck is going on. I mean it’s pretty weird that all revenants can only summon the same 4 legends if you think about it, there has to be a story behind that. My theory is just my own filler till they give us a real one >_<

Gameplay mechanics do not = lore. I’ve mentioned to people who wish to RP, that they could likely channel (in character) the legend of say, Jora. Other major GW1 characters could likely fit as well.

Those heroes in the temple in factions would be fitting for that as well.

I’ve viewed it(my headcanon) as the minions we use ingame are the “default” forms. Everybody is taught those forms for the generic minion archtypes. But in reality, you could have humanoid minions or other appearances for the minions (or minion types even) with practice.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Still waiting for minion skins, haha.
GW1 Edition, you know.

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I’m curious on how our character became a Revenant since so far the only way i know a Revenant gain their power is through strong exposure to the mist or strong link to the mist.

So far we have no place that would expose anyone to the mist directly in GW2 except for the Mist itself which Rytlock entered and got himself exposed to it long enough to develop his powers.

I hope in later part of the story we can explain how our own character obtained his Revy powers even if it is a small amount of dialogue.

in Lore

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

It’s the third heavy class available at the new character creation screen. You’re welcome.

in Lore

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

As previously stated, you don’t “need” to visit the mists to be a revenant, the excuse most roleplayers come up with is they studied the art of being a ritualist and practiced that until they became revenants…though yeah I really wish the devs would put more consideration into the lore…scrappers are a great example of that

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

I’m curious on how our character became a Revenant since so far the only way i know a Revenant gain their power is through strong exposure to the mist or strong link to the mist.

So far we have no place that would expose anyone to the mist directly in GW2 except for the Mist itself which Rytlock entered and got himself exposed to it long enough to develop his powers.

I hope in later part of the story we can explain how our own character obtained his Revy powers even if it is a small amount of dialogue.

No place to interact with the mists?

Fractals, Mist War anybody?

Being honest, the OFFICAL spreading of the class is unknown and until the devs put forth an answer, we’d make up our own explanation.

However, Rytlock shouldn’t be hated on for HoT. He doesn’t understand this stuff himself and Rox is pestering him like an annoying child (in the middle of the time intensive, brutal story of HoT no less) for answers.

in Lore

EdwinLi.1284

Fractals, Mist War anybody?

We are not making direct contact with the Mists in Fractal and Mist War but only the lands created by them. When I say direct exposure I mean actual contact with the Mist’s fog like body which characters in the game call the Mist. However, I don’t think making contact with the lands created by the Mist would count as exposure since the Mist itself seems to keep a distance from those lands it manifests.

Though the Mist has always been a mystery due to how strange it is. When we’re in Fractal and Mist War we never seem to make direct contact with the Mist but only contact with the lands that is created by the Mist. There is no doubt it may involved a certain type of exposure but until it is explained I think the exposure may be the Mist’s Fog Body and not the lands created by it.

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

“strong exposure to the mists” is an incredibly vague line to begin with, and I think most people would consider Fractals of the Mists and the MIST WAR (aka, World vs World) as exposure to the mists in a way.

We explicitly are traveling into the mists to partake in either activity after all.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We are not making direct contact with the Mists in Fractal and Mist War but only the lands created by them.

The Mists is not an entity. Go to the PvP lobby and look at the edges. Go to Edge of the Mists and go to the edges. Go to Fractal lobby and go to the edge.

That is the Mists.

PvP, WvW, Fractals, Mad King’s Realm (halloween instances), and even one of the early norn storylines all take place within the Mists. The “lands created by them” is also within the Mists and interacting with these lands – these fractals of worlds – is interacting with the Mists.

Sorry, but the claim that players in GW2 do not interact with the Mists is a downright foolhardy lie. Now, it is possible for a player to never do so – just like it is possible to never do so in GW1 – but that would require not doing a specific storyline as a norn, never doing WvW or PvP, not participating in Halloween activities, and not doing Fractals.

When I say direct exposure I mean actual contact with the Mist’s fog like body which characters in the game call the Mist.

That’s not correct in any way. Furthermore, PvP lobby, Fractal lobby, and Edge of the Mists all allow jumping into the literal mist.

The Mists is protomatter that sometimes take the appearance of mist. It is the origin of all things and houses the afterlives as well as fractals of worlds (what we use for PvP as well as the dungeon named after these fractals).

If you go into the Mad Realm, that is definitely within the Mists – the entire lore about it is stating that it is since the beginning of GW lore. But there are no mist-like fog around it. Just endless vastness of space by appearance. Realm of Torment was the same.

However, I don’t think making contact with the lands created by the Mist would count as exposure since the Mist itself seems to keep a distance from those lands it manifests.

“making contact with the lands created by the Mists” (not Mist) is the only way to stand on something within the Mists.

Your very argument demands that Rytlock had no contact with the Mists.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

EdwinLi.1284

I say only the land because that is all we had long term exposure to during the times in the Mist. Also none of those events have been long term exposures but short term exposures. Rytlock appears to have been stuck in the Mists for days or maybe weeks, or maybe a month since there would have been a good amount of time Rytlock been gone between when he entered to mist to when the Pact began constructing their base in Silverwaste, without any moment outside of the Mist unlike our character who only spends time in the mist for a day or hours before returning to Tyria to rest up.

The Foggy body of the Mist is always in the distance and even when we jump into it we are not in it for long to the point we end up back in the open area that isn’t covered by the Fog.

Rytlock no doubt had land to walk on but I can only guess that the land he was on was covered by the Foggy body of the Mist.

However, as I said for now this is how I can only interpret how strong exposure happens unless Anet provides a detailed explanation on how a person becomes a Revenant which sadly I doubt they may not provide in a while due to how messy it may get if they don’t get Revenant’s lore right.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

This is a rather moot argument, seeing as our official word on the matter (Argon posted the link AND this quote up above) is -and emphasis is mine- " a brand-new revenant starting on their journey will not have had to visit the Mists or undergo any more of an advanced process to access revenant powers than they would for the other core professions. All that’s necessary to begin training as a revenant is knowledge of the profession, the faith and will to reach into the Mists, and an open mind." Emphasis mine.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Foggy body of the Mist is always in the distance and even when we jump into it we are not in it for long to the point we end up back in the open area that isn’t covered by the Fog.

That whole being teleported part is pure mechanics. You’re still “in the Mists” when you’re in Fractals, PvP maps, WvW maps, or Mad Realm maps. Just like you’re still “in the Mists” when you’re in Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Realm of Torment, etc. in GW1, despite there being no literal mist in sight.

And that’s the important part: until GW2, there was no such thing as mist inside The Mists.

Yet you define that as “being in the Mists”. We were very much in the Mists in GW1 dozens of times. The afterlives are within the Mists, and that includes the Mad Realm which we see no mist in either GW1 or GW2 – as well as the GW1 only locations of Underworld, Fissure of Woe, Realm of Torment, and The Rift.

You need to separate ‘mist’ from ‘The Mists’ because they are not the same thing.

However, as I said for now this is how I can only interpret how strong exposure happens unless Anet provides a detailed explanation on how a person becomes a Revenant which sadly I doubt they may not provide in a while due to how messy it may get if they don’t get Revenant’s lore right.

They already did, as linked above and as linked by Aaron.

It just wasn’t in-game, which is a fault on ArenaNet but that doesn’t mean it is non-existent.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Headcase.4618

Headcase.4618

My Asura became a Revenant after somehow surviving Thaumanova. Don’t ask her about the specifics, as all she remembers is seeing a white flash and then waking up in the lake east of there.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Wouldn’t a problem here be if Rytlock is the first Revenant to appear and he does so now in present day 1328 AE, it’s difficult for your PC to be one from an earlier point.

So, all other revenants discover their abilities following that through some episode – or rather, just you seeing as there’s story-wise only you and Rytlock as revenants because all other player characters are the same “individual” in the world, or is that not correct?

So – each revenant PC needs some life-changing event occurring following Rytlock making his return… near-death experience or possibly – having been in a coma and only awoken now after X years like the Thaumanova incident as cited by Headcase over here for instance…

At least, that’s how I’ll be playing out my revenant – seeing as he’s a character in a fanfic currently in development.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

I just pretend my revenant was a heavy armor /good with a sword noble studying about the Mist/echos pre Rytlock XD (it kinda works because Marjory didnt see the Turai Ossa echo as something unheard of)

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

My Asura became a Revenant after somehow surviving Thaumanova. Don’t ask her about the specifics, as all she remembers is seeing a white flash and then waking up in the lake east of there.

Can also put in random detail like “Thaumanova went critical and exploded, she woke up years later, randomly appearing from a portal into a lake, as if no time had passed for her. However, she had new magic flowing through her.”

Because that would certainly fit both Revenant (randomly got thrown into the mists, and then randomly flung out), and the Thaumanova event, which has caused randomly teleported creatures from all over to appear.