How do Mesmer spells work?

in Lore

Posted by: Purecura.1795

Purecura.1795

Like the title says, Id like to know how an individual would go about casting a Mesmer spell. Would they meditate and “envision” the gathering of aether into the spell they are trying to cast? Is it pure will power? a mix of both imagery and will power?

I want to know how these spells work, from a molecule level to a larger scale. ( in general of course)

Lv.80 Chronomancer (Mesmerist Palamecia)
Lv.80 Scrapper (Alchemist Persenia)
Lv.80 Druid (Mender Zalintyre)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I don’t think there’s a fundamental difference between how one casts a spell between professions, just how they appear and what they affect.

This said, beyond the books ans Gwen’s Story from the Bonus Mission Pack of gw1, I cannot really think of anywhere such an explanation may be.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Zevilo.9304

Zevilo.9304

Mesmers in gw1 were like witches or warlocks with curses and hexes with the sole aim of deceiving or distorting their targets sense of reality. Although now in gw2 they have clones which are physical manifestations, they still fit the gw1 version of them when it comes to roles.
Elementalists control primal forces around them, necromancers use the dead and decaying in their favor and mesmers exploit their enemies minds to get the upper hand.
edit: to add, mesmers also have command of time and space it seems with skills like portal, teleport and time warp. They can tap in to or manipulate the mists?

(edited by Zevilo.9304)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

A note on Mesmers. The game designers stated around the time of the release of the mesmer that the clones and illusions were at least intended to be a visual manifestation of what was happening in GW1. In other words, these clones/illusions may have still existed, it was just assumed in GW1 that they were in the mind of the enemy and were not visible to anyone else.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Since I remembered this thread ankitten ot on my phone like before:

On a fundamental level, mesmer magic is bending reality itself, as well as one’s own perception of reality. That is what chaos magic (the field of magic mesmers use) does. As Narcemus said, how mesmer magic works hasn’t changed any more than the other caster professions – they were always able to manipulate reality even in GW1, it’s just that the two games’ engines allow different visuals for it (and gamestyles require different visuals).

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Research_Journal would perhaps be helpful in reading, as it is about the study of certain mesmer skills. The shared theme to them is the manipulation of ether around oneself or the enemy to alter perceptions or the air itself.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

A note on Mesmers. The game designers stated around the time of the release of the mesmer that the clones and illusions were at least intended to be a visual manifestation of what was happening in GW1. In other words, these clones/illusions may have still existed, it was just assumed in GW1 that they were in the mind of the enemy and were not visible to anyone else.

I’m still trying to get around how a mesmer convinces a wooden door it is being attacked by a figment of its imagination.

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

I’m still trying to get around how a mesmer convinces a wooden door it is being attacked by a figment of its imagination.

Ah, reminds me of my old Malkavian days…

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Something like the concept of D&D’s shadow subschool might be in play there, except instead of “shadow”, GW mesmers have ethereal energy. Basically, even though a lot of the effect is in the target’s mind, there is SOMETHING real there to back it up – and that can damage inanimate objects.

Or maybe those doors and such aren’t as nonsentient as we think… plays X-files theme

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I guess the owls aren’t the only things that aren’t what they seem to be…

Anyway, I feel such a topic always deserves following ‘clarification’:

Angel McCoy

Are the illusions created by mesmers visible to anybody or only to the caster and the spell target?

This depends. Casting an illusion that can only be seen by one person is an extremely advanced skill as it requires getting directly into an individual’s mind. Only the most skilled of mesmers can do this, and mesmers don’t talk about this ability. If people were to find out that mesmers could do this, it would prejudice people against mesmers and damage the trust and love mesmers work so hard to inspire in others.

No documentation of this ability exists outside the Mesmer community because the targets of this kind of spell don’t realize they’ve been duped. No one else can corroborate their experience either, so…it’s often explained away as battle fatigue. Even within the mesmer community, knowledge of this kind of spell is “need to know” only, which means only the most elder and experienced are initiated into the circle.

I always get a couple of giggles out of that.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Lore

Posted by: Da Kyrsed.3401

Da Kyrsed.3401

Since I remembered this thread ankitten ot on my phone like before:

On a fundamental level, mesmer magic is bending reality itself, as well as one’s own perception of reality. That is what chaos magic (the field of magic mesmers use) does. As Narcemus said, how mesmer magic works hasn’t changed any more than the other caster professions – they were always able to manipulate reality even in GW1, it’s just that the two games’ engines allow different visuals for it (and gamestyles require different visuals).

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Research_Journal would perhaps be helpful in reading, as it is about the study of certain mesmer skills. The shared theme to them is the manipulation of ether around oneself or the enemy to alter perceptions or the air itself.

^^This… picture it like this, if you will: Mesmers are Tyria’s version of the Scarlet Witch from Marvel Comics (reality-altering/controlling powers [that are mental-based] and can be extended to exert control over the time/space continuum). Simple, no?

Stefani Strange ~ Level 80 Norn Chronomancer
Ratchet B. Clank ~ Level 80 Asuran Scrapper
Vergil Evasson ~ Level 80 Human Dragonhunter

in Lore

Posted by: Unfathomed.8140

Unfathomed.8140

‘Cause it’s a topic about mesmers’ skills, I think it’s right place to ask:
If their magic is mind-based, can they, for example, see through someone else’s eyes?
I mean, if the mesmer is blind, can he get into someone’s mind and use it as a sort of “tv”, to see what’s around him?

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

@Unfathomed- Well, it’s at least possible for a mesmer to look into the mind of someone else if they’re powerful enough. We know this from when Jennah looked into Kralky’s mind in Edge of Destiny.

I’m not sure if it would expand to seeing out of their eyes too, though. To me that sounds less like mental manipulation/mind-sight and more possession, which I don’t believe is something mesmers have in their kitten nal. They can affect but not control.

Only possible exception is when Snaff attempted to break into Kralky’s mind – but I don’t recall that being hinted at as mesmer magic. I could just be not recalling the book correctly (and I’m at work so I don’t have it handy, either) but I don’t think we were even told what actual profession Snaff seemed to be.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

in Lore

Posted by: Unfathomed.8140

Unfathomed.8140

@Maethor – Thanks for the answer. I wasn’t really thinking about controlling someone, but more like using, without any effect on the subject of the spell. Because when we see by our eyes, picture from them is going to our brain and then transforming into some kind of information like “There is a big rock on the left, I can’t go that way” (or something like that)… And if mesmer can actually look into someone’s mind, I thought maybe he’s able to find such an information too…
But, because I don’t really now much about mesmer’s spells and abilities, it can be wrong thinking :P

in Lore

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

Well, I meant ‘possession’ in less of a controlling manner and more of a… I don’t know how to put it exactly but I feel like you would have to be a presence within someone’s mind to be able to look out of their eyes instead of just being able to look into their mind and play a few tricks. The mesmer would still be an outside influence, if you will.

But, maybe something like that could be pulled off if one was an extremely powerful mesmer? Or perhaps it could be done by an experienced mesmer if their subject was allowing it – which could be an entire thing altogether. Usually when a mesmer is messing with someone or looking into their mind, their subject isn’t willing.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

in Lore

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

I ask here because i think it’s the right place: what’s the nature of Chaos Energy and Ether? Is the raw energy from which every other Scholar draws the power?

I think that skills like Mimic (or other skills from GW1 that share the same mechanics) show how Mesmer could virtually use any type of Element and virtually recreate not only Spells but also physical objects like arrows .

in Lore

Posted by: Elric.6971

Elric.6971

It’s all in your head, OP.

in Lore

Posted by: Greyalis.2309

Greyalis.2309

Where’s our illusionary dragon?

Attachments:

Self Is The Emblem All