How does death work in the lore? :RE

in Lore

Posted by: Joan of Arc.1542

Joan of Arc.1542

So just found out there was a LORE forums, so will copy and paste my post here as well as the link, as I persist my journey whilst actively seeking answers to ^.

“How does Death fit into THIS game’s Lore? As there are too many loopholes from what my research tells me. I try to place the lore of GW1 and GW2 together trying to figure out.
Aside from the mechanical stand point. we know Grenth is the god of darkness, ice, and death. But due to the absence of the Six Gods, resurrection and returning from death are unexplained effects – no one can truly die? or should be permanently dead? or even yet, resurrection from death into the form of undeath like the Orrians?
The devs saying ‘deaths’ is actually a ‘downed’ state resulting in ‘defeated’ which allows a more ‘flexible’ choice of formatting plot (such as ‘you cannot revive someone anymore if they’re dead, namely NPCs) ~ BUT THAT DOES NOT EXPLAIN the “/deaths” macro/control/input which shows your death count upon ‘defeated’.
Another matter is ~ death and resurrecting to a waypoint. How does that work? We know that waypoints are created by the Asura by ‘chance’ across the Ley Lines which flow from the Magic of the Dragons but they do not explain or leave any hints on how that works.
Although I tried to summarise the plethora of research over the net I’ve covered from the top of my head, I surely may have missed some stuff. The /deaths, deaths and ‘resurrection’ and of resurrection does not fit into the world, or doesn’t make sense to me. Should anyone provide key insight into this matter would be awesome (and not say “it’s a game mechanics thing”)
A good game has ‘ok’ mechanics and lore. A great game has a harmonised lore and mechanics that revolve around each other.”

link to original post: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-does-death-work-in-the-lore/first#post5570361

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

In GW1 the player died and was resurrected by special shrines you could find in every explorable zone. You could also kneel before them to get buffs by the god associated with the shrine.
In GW2 however this is not the case, as you said yourself, you aren’t “killed” but merely put in a state in which you can no longer fight aka “defeated”. Yes it does not explain the “/deaths” command, but honestly, typing a command into your chatbox can never be explained with in-universe lore. That’s simply a gameplay function and has absolutely nothing to do with the game’s world. You might as well ask for a lore explanation of the log-out button.
Now Waypoints are a different beast. Actually at first when the game launched many people saw them as a pure gameplay function, with not connection to the lore, as previous lore never mentioned them. It was all about Asura Gates. That changed with the Living World Season 2 and Mordremoths attack on the Waypoint-network (maybe they were mentiond in lore before, but I can’t remember an earlier point). We now know they are considered canon, and that they as you also mentioned follow the Ley Lines. But again that is pretty much all we know. There was never an explanation why the player can use them from anywhere in the world. My theory is we have a similar device to the one that Logan uses in EoD, to teleport to Ebonhawke right before DE’s fight with Kralkatorrik.
There also never was an explanation why we return to full health after teleporting. It’s pretty much for gameplay reasons only. I doubt that they will ever come up with a satisfactory lore explanation for that.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: vanderwolf.7084

vanderwolf.7084

I’ll post what I posted before but condensed.

Defeated and downed are game mechanics, not lore.

Full resurrection is no longer really a thing, even for the player character(if you’re defeated you aren’t permanently dead because that’s too punishing from a mechanic point of view).

Necromancy and undeath used on a sentient being is considered a big no no. Example: palawa joko.

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Necromancy and undeath used on a sentient being is considered a big no no.

Tell that to my GW1 necro. I love tearing apart the dead bodies of sentient beings for minion material, exploding corpses, and let’s not forget the skill “Consume Corpse”.

in Lore

Posted by: shadowfanatik.5160

shadowfanatik.5160

using the remains themselves isnt the part that is forbidden its using a persons soul and body in a undead servant role that is viewed with disgust, if the body has no conciousness of is own but is rather used as raw material to make a minion, there is no problem outside of the obvious stench of reanimated dead tissue

Raak Bloodmaw

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

Necromancy and undeath used on a sentient being is considered a big no no.

Tell that to my GW1 necro. I love tearing apart the dead bodies of sentient beings for minion material, exploding corpses, and let’s not forget the skill “Consume Corpse”.

necromancy to MAKE sentient beings is a big no-no.

also killing people to make non-sentient minions is a no-no too. because it’s murder.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

using the remains themselves isnt the part that is forbidden its using a persons soul and body in a undead servant role that is viewed with disgust, if the body has no conciousness of is own but is rather used as raw material to make a minion, there is no problem outside of the obvious stench of reanimated dead tissue

And in GW2 necros no longer need to use dead bodies. Mind you I’m still a bit unsure as to what exactly the minions are composed of.

also killing people to make non-sentient minions is a no-no too. because it’s murder.

As long as those people aren’t bandits, or strictly speaking aren’t ‘people’.

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

And in GW2 necros no longer need to use dead bodies. Mind you I’m still a bit unsure as to what exactly the minions are composed of.

As long as those people aren’t bandits, or strictly speaking aren’t ‘people’.

in those cases, you’re killing them because they are bandits (or in some other way an enemy), the “materials aquisition” is just a beneficial side effect.

in Lore

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Given the bloody history of Tyria, you can point at pretty much any point on the ground and bet there’s remains there. Slap enough of them together (bone from here, rotting tissue from there…) and you’ve got yourself a minion.

How that works on an airship, don’t ask.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Now Waypoints are a different beast. Actually at first when the game launched many people saw them as a pure gameplay function, with not connection to the lore, as previous lore never mentioned them. It was all about Asura Gates. That changed with the Living World Season 2 and Mordremoths attack on the Waypoint-network (maybe they were mentiond in lore before, but I can’t remember an earlier point).

You can physically see npcs using waypoints (coming out of at least) in at least one camp in Orr.

As for Grenth, I don’t know if “darkness” is part of his official thing. It was justice, ice, and death before.