How good is a Charr's sense of smell?

in Lore

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

Just curious if Rytlock would have had an advantage of decent secondary sense whilst blindfolded.

(Ignoring he had whatever magic sense allowed him not to walk off all the cliffs in HoT.)

(edited by FairyNuff.3452)

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I suppose their sense of smell is similar to that of an average beast. I guess it would help in combat. But scent is only good for a sense of direction, it won’t substitute for blindness

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

We haven’t been given any indication that any races’ senses are sharper than any of the others. The differences are mostly cultural, and somewhat biological. I’m pretty sure your average charr or norn is stronger than most humans or asura, but everyone is fully capable of fighting on equal terms.

As for revenants, I think it says somewhere that they can see using other abilities, and the blindfold just helps to initially hone in on the new voices in their heads. It’s not just hearing or smell, but something even deeper to know where things and people are. Now I kind of want to dig through Rytlock’s dialogue to see if he ever described the colour of something after becoming a revenant, but that seems like a lot of work.

in Lore

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Not sure about smell, but I was under the impression Charr have an enhances sense of hearing, being capable of hearing things in the very high and lower pitch thanks to their 4 ears. Hearing certainly can substitute for sight to a decent extent, with examples of blind kids being able to ride a bike using echo location.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

Not sure about smell, but I was under the impression Charr have an enhances sense of hearing, being capable of hearing things in the very high and lower pitch thanks to their 4 ears. Hearing certainly can substitute for sight to a decent extent, with examples of blind kids being able to ride a bike using echo location.

yea, charr have a better sense of hearing due to having a seperate set of ears specialized in high pitched and deep bass sounds. But I think in regards of dialogue I often hear charr complaining about stinks and smells more than other races, so thats why my guess is there sense of smell is also somewhat better. Of course they won’t be trained as police dogs

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

We haven’t been given any indication that any races’ senses are sharper than any of the others. The differences are mostly cultural, and somewhat biological. I’m pretty sure your average charr or norn is stronger than most humans or asura, but everyone is fully capable of fighting on equal terms.

It’s more than a slight advantage. Everyone can fight everyone in terms of game mechanics and plot convenience, but there was some older lore that suggested a lone norn could fight off an entire Charr warband at a time. In one of the books there’s a scene of a norn physically overpowering three charr at once using a bar bench. Norn have a massive advantage in raw strength over even charr, and I don’t think there’s anything to suggest they are especially sluggish to compensate.

Outside plot protected named characters, an average norn should ruin an average member of any other race in combat. And they only become more powerful when they transform into a werebear, which doesn’t have a crazy short duration and lengthy cooldown in the lore.

in Lore

Amaimon.7823

What Ehecatl said is true. There’s a huge difference between the lore and the game mechanics. The races had to give up a lot of abilities to make the combat equal.
What seems lost the most is the Asuran weavability of Arcane Magic, the Norn’s strength and transformations, and the Charr’s ferocity and feral instincts.
In an online game that would be hell to balance.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

In one of the books there’s a scene of a norn physically overpowering three charr at once using a bar bench.

To be fair, that particular norn was renowned for being absurdly strong even for her race, and those particular charr were Ash Legion. It’s definitely canon that the average norn is stronger than the average charr, but pinning three at once is not a normal occurrence.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: arthurobenzi.2619

arthurobenzi.2619

In one of the books there’s a scene of a norn physically overpowering three charr at once using a bar bench.

To be fair, that particular norn was renowned for being absurdly strong even for her race, and those particular charr were Ash Legion. It’s definitely canon that the average norn is stronger than the average charr, but pinning three at once is not a normal occurrence.

This, each time those arguments are coming whitout any context and made generalities, i’ts like the ""1 norn = 1 warband"" that is far stretched from MoTW “warbands and smaller raiding parties could not overcome the individual strength of the Norn”

in Lore

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

I believe average blood legion soldier would be somewhat equal to average norn or not far behind at least.

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.