How is Anet going to top Mordremoth?

in Lore

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

Considering how Mordremoth was practically invulnerable and immortal (if not for the existence of Trahearne) and its ability to actually speak to the player and access pretty much any location within Tyria, I just don’t see how they will be able to make the remaining dragons look anywhere as threatening (both in terms of lore as well as in-game) while still making them unique. I honestly think they will not be able to top this.

in Lore

Posted by: Vlad.1739

Vlad.1739

Good story writing is not always about making new events more epic than the past. If this is done the writer will quickly find the story becomes nonsense less believable losing impact. This is why when a story climaxes to a high point like it has in GW2 it is good to explore secondary plots that poke emotionally at the reader. Example other dragons could do some devious things that make the reader have to rethink our perspective (moral truths, shocking revelations) This could also include good character development arcs, world and lore building. If any of these is executed well the story can go on without it feeling poor because of previous events. Other Dragons can be threatening in different ways (Not in power level).

in Lore

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Considering Mordremoth was targeted and Zhaitan before that because they were deemed the most dangerous, the plot will naturally wind down as we work our way to lesser dragons, unless there are a couple that are hiding their strength (Most likely candidate for this is Steve.)

in Lore

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

There are several factors to consider. Firstly, the dragons will likely increase in power due to the released magic from each dragon killed prior. There’s also no guarantee that the dragons will continue to line up to be killed one at a time.

Secondly, the Pact has more or less spent what power it could muster in the fight against Mordremoth. Since the Pact has been the primary force opposing the dragons its removal from the field makes the continued fight ever more of an uphill battle than it was before.

Finally, Tyria is something of a powder keg, politically speaking. Every major race has malign factions causing internal political issues that could blow up at any time. Events like this could rob the fight against the dragons of vital national support, or worse, actively aid the dragons themselves. Think what would happen if Jennah died or was deposed or if Primordus shows up in the middle of the Blazeridge with a horde of Destroyers and the Flame Legion decide they’ve found their new god?

By increasing the scope and power of the forces arrayed against the player while undercutting their support you can guarantee escalating intensity with the coming conflicts.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

You also have to consider the environment. Jormags domain is arguably more challenging with the intense cold/raging blizzards and the power of Jormag must be pretty intense since the native people – Kodan Norn, Quaggan all fled south. Whereas in Maguuma, the Hylek tribes, the Dry Top Centaurs, the Skritt and even the Chakk remain.

Same with Bubbles. Karka and Krait driven out despite being formidable species.

Strategically Primordus’s location makes him much more formidable. Getting access to underground is much more limiting and bottlenecked, whilst he could be anywhere deep down.

If Kralk his bordering Elona, that brings us closer to Palawas armies and that throws up more challenges.

That’s just the basics, as someone said, good story writing could throw up any number of factors individual to each dragon not known of so far.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Honestly I’m a bit surprised they went after Mordremoth so soon, largely because it had the best chance of being the most personal dragon (due to the sylvari connection). Unfortunately, they fell very very short of making Mordremoth a good plot, IMHO.

As said, good storywriting doesn’t come from the next opponent being stronger – that’s just the Dragonball syndrome of telling action stories, and isn’t necessary. Besides, all Elder Dragons are world-enders in their own right, and it’s been established that the more time an Elder Dragon is given, the more magic they consume, and in turn the stronger they become.

We don’t even know what the other Elder Dragons’ second spheres are. In theory, they could all be nigh immortal beasts just like Mordremoth, all dependent on their spheres of influence.

Its theorized that Jormag’s spheres are ice and soul/spirit, while Kralkatorrik’s being crystal and air – but it’s largely speculative, and with Primordus we don’t even get a potential hint at the second sphere, just the first (fire), and with the DSD we don’t even get a potential hint at either sphere (despite some people saying one is water without a doubt, there is a huge doubt as the first sphere tends to be how the corruption takes form – and while the DSD corrupts water and lives in water, sans Jormag and Mordremoth no dragon lives in or corrupts its first sphere, and the DSD’s corruption is said to take the form of tentacles so best we can theorize is “its first sphere is tentacles” but that makes little sense – and is a bit too close to Mordremoth’s vines).

Simply put, there’s a lot of ways for Anet to make the other dragons more powerful and threatening than Mordremoth, even ignoring the whole “they get stronger as their numbers dwindle” that has been established.

Mordremoth talking isn’t tied to his spheres either – while sylvari hearing him from far away is, Mordremoth talked personally as well. This means the other dragons can too. Though I hope they do it a bit more cleverly than “and now they talk!” because that would be silly. Maybe a progressive ‘over the course of the campaign the dragon learns the Tyrian tongue as it sees it more and more as a threat’ or something – something that would explain why Zhaitan never talked.

Considering Mordremoth was targeted and Zhaitan before that because they were deemed the most dangerous, the plot will naturally wind down as we work our way to lesser dragons, unless there are a couple that are hiding their strength (Most likely candidate for this is Steve.)

Mordremoth and Zhaitan were deemed ‘most dangerous’ not due to their strength but due to their proximity and activity. Out of all dragons, Zhaitan (and then Mordremoth) were the closest, and they were flexing their muscles the most.

Jormag’s also been flexing his muscles, but he’s still only a threat to the norn – whereas Zhaitan was a threat to LA, humans, and sylvari (and even posed a threat to charr in the PS). Mordremoth posed a threat to human, sylvari, asura, and charr.

The order of assault goes with how threatening they are, not how powerful they are. Because even the weakest Elder Dragon can wipe out civilizations.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Mordremoth talking isn’t tied to his spheres either – while sylvari hearing him from far away is, Mordremoth talked personally as well. This means the other dragons can too. Though I hope they do it a bit more cleverly than “and now they talk!” because that would be silly. Maybe a progressive ‘over the course of the campaign the dragon learns the Tyrian tongue as it sees it more and more as a threat’ or something – something that would explain why Zhaitan never talked.

I don’t think it’d take too much explaining to handle that. In this one case, the lack of impact Zhaitan personally had works in their favor. What would it have said to us in the brief period it was on screen? Yelled out threats, as if its presence in the sky wasn’t threatening enough? Begged for mercy? Supposedly, the Elder Dragons are able to draw on the knowledge of their thralls to some extent, so it’d be a hard sell to convince us that Zhaitan didn’t understand our language, but relatively easy to believe that it didn’t have anything to say to us during that all-too-short fight.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Mordremoth and Zhaitan were deemed ‘most dangerous’ not due to their strength but due to their proximity and activity. Out of all dragons, Zhaitan (and then Mordremoth) were the closest, and they were flexing their muscles the most.

That was pretty much my thought. Zhaitan and Mordremoth were dangerous because they were actively attacking. The others, however, all seem to be fairly distant and not actually much interested in the region of the nations of Tyria at the moment. Primordus has a few Destroyers pop up where the crust is weakened, but this seems to be opportunism rather than part of a serious effort to attack the surface. After his fight with Asgeir, Jormag seems to be content to just apply pressure to the norn to see if they break rather than launching an actual offensive – since the death of the Dragonspawn in Edge of Destiny, in fact, it seems that the offensive activity is coming more from the Sons of Svanir than Jormag. The overall impression I get with Jormag is that we’re right on the edge of a vast territory controlled by Jormag and Jormag isn’t actually particularly fussed about what happens there (at least not for the moment). While the DSD… has created refugees, but hasn’t had any direct effect on Tyria yet.

My suspicion is that all three are actually more powerful than Mordremoth or Zhaitan – each seems to hold significantly larger territories, and while Orr and the Maguuma are magically significant locations, it’s likely that the north, the southern oceans, and the underground all have their significant magical locations as well. However, those three dragons both feel less threatened by us (at least, until we started showing we can kill other Elder Dragons) and, because they have large territories that probably have lots of other magic to consume, have less incentive to come for us until they’ve finished their meals elsewhere.

And Kralkatorrik, of course, has been MIA since his encounter with Destiny’s Edge. We’ve been told that the Branded generally migrate south, so there may be some purpose to that migration – but it’s also possible that Kralkatorrik has gone completely dark and the reason the Branded are migrating south is a lingering effect of Jennah’s illusion at the end of Edge of Destiny.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Disaster strikes when we realize Kralkatorrik used leftover remnants of Snaff’s mind (imprinted on the dragon during his visit) to create a crystal clone of Snaff. This Snaff clone is an evil genius that builds crazy inventions and causes mayhem all over Tyria while saying “Die die die, die die die!”.

I just want to see the Crystal Desert but somehow I feel Jormag might be next. You could write a good story around someone finally damaging the tooth that starts a long chain of events that leads to defeating Jormag. Seeing the Far Shiverpeaks would be fun too.

in Lore

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Anet never topped nightfall. So its honestly not that hard to top Heart of thorns.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I feel they topped Nightfall with Winds of Change – especially when you consider their technical limitations (no voice acting, minimal cinametic capabilities). The only downside was that the final fight in WoC felt like it came directly out of a cheesy anime ending (but that isn’t too surprising given John Stumme is a massive anime fan), but even with that I felt it topped even Nightfall.

And that story was fighting a normal human being with no super genius intellect or powerful magical artifacts – after fighting gods, humans with powerful magical artifacts, and more. The final plot of GW1 was against someone who would be squished within seconds by the previous main villains, yet it was to me the best plot of GW1.

Perhaps because Minister Reiko managed to be a true threat even to god-slaying heroes despite being a normal human being.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Slowpokeking.8720

Slowpokeking.8720

Other than Trahearne’s words, there is no proof that Mordremoth is invulnerable and immortal. It just could regenerate as long as it has the magic energy feed, so if we could cut if off…

in Lore

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

I feel they topped Nightfall with Winds of Change – especially when you consider their technical limitations (no voice acting, minimal cinametic capabilities). The only downside was that the final fight in WoC felt like it came directly out of a cheesy anime ending (but that isn’t too surprising given John Stumme is a massive anime fan), but even with that I felt it topped even Nightfall.

And that story was fighting a normal human being with no super genius intellect or powerful magical artifacts – after fighting gods, humans with powerful magical artifacts, and more. The final plot of GW1 was against someone who would be squished within seconds by the previous main villains, yet it was to me the best plot of GW1.

Perhaps because Minister Reiko managed to be a true threat even to god-slaying heroes despite being a normal human being.

I’d disagree. Nightfall was an extremely epic story. I like WoC, but it didn’t have the epic feeling that is expected of an MMO. Its scaled down in terms of scope but still enjoyable.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

“epic feeling” doesn’t necessarily mean “good” or “better”

So I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree there.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

There are several ways to play with the eldar dragons.

I mean, one of the first things they could do is causing devestation in the safe zones up to the home cities and the sourounding areas.

My bet is on Divinities Reach (which will never happen) in combination with Primordus.
We have the big hole, which is now covered up by the celebration area.
We got rumors of sounds coming up from beneath.
We got a dam, which holds back water from Queensdale.

A nice little earthquake, bursting the dam, leveling the upper levels of the city, flooding the starter area, causing humans to relocate or even become fugitives to other races.
Which could be an interesting way to go, depending on how the Sylvari stuff is resolved (I am still thinking of some racism crsuade against them on behalf of the humans anti Queen side, with some White Mantle mixed in), as the tables would be turned and the ones who hunted them need refuge now.

After that bombshell there would be a need to reclaim land or rebuild somwhere else.

Other than that.
We have Primordus and Steve, which might not be as easy to grasp as we might want to, since based on their spheres their body could be water or lava and like Mordremoth we would have to find a way to defeat something untangable as that.

Kalkratorik and Jormag seem to be quite the powerhouses which sport very nasty spheres and domains as well.

All of them would be a fight against nature as well.
So yeah.

Overall, i think it is more a problem on how it is written and not how they top it.

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Honestly, I am hoping that Kraalkatorrik and Jormag, upon seeing how we’ve managed to defeat Zhaitan and Modremoth, finally realize how big of a threat we are as a united front and launch a two pronged invasion from the Crystal Desert in the south and Shiverpeaks in the north.

I doubt the remnants of the PACT could handle a two sided assault with the same relative ease at it does with just one. Then you also have political conflict between the Charr and Norn as they both insist on focusing most of the PACT’s resources on the threat closest to them, forcing the other three races and the PC to choose sides. The Vigil being lead by a Charr might even break away from the PACT if the PACT’s choice is to focus more on Jormag than the Iron legion.

Even among the Charr there’d be a divide in interests. Blood Legion is a lot closer to the Nothern Shiverpeaks than they are to the Crystal Desert. So do they defend their own borders or risk it to support Iron? It might even force Smodur into using the Claw of the Khan-Ur so we can finally resolve that plot thread.

Maybe even have a player vote to decide which dragon gets the largest amount of our attention, which changes the outcome of the story. I’d like to see one of the racial capitals get wrecked next, and us focusing on say, Jormag, would lead to Kraalkatorrik destroying Black Citadel and vice versa.

After we defeat both dragons I’d also want the next expansion to involve something not dragon specific. With Jormag and Kraalkatorrik gone the last two dragons are both fairly distant threats, which opens a period of safety that could be advantageous.

My vote would be to open up Elona by having Palawa Joko take an interest in the now dragon-free and very weakened and vulnerable Tyria.

in Lore

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

There is plenty of ways to make the other Elder Dragons as terrific as Mordremoth without being so “epic”.

For instance, they could make Jormag creepy, for instance. If Mordremoth was the brutally “In your face and mind” type, ANet should have Jormag has a more “You know, all I want is make you stronger right ?”. The more the player goes North, the less he can trust his/her friends… and himself. Braham as been down ever since Eir died… and now he seems somewhat happier ? That’s probably nothing but… What if Jormag his corrupting him ? Can I trust him ? Should I trust him at all ?

That sort of thing would go a great way to clearly distinguish between Jormag and Mordremoth, and every other Dragons can be impressive.

Primordius is not huge, but having the player literally going full Divine Comedy, descending into several layers from the near-surface to a place full of lava and monstrosities which never saw the light of the sun and moons could go a great way to makes Primordius an awesome encounter. And many other possibilities exist.

in Lore

Posted by: Eldrake.1543

Eldrake.1543

I am hopeful that one of the next dragons will challenge us by being extremely hard to even damage. The same weapon (I know it’s destroyed and probably won’t be rebuilt, I am just using an example) that took down Zhaitan and forced him to land on a mountain will be shrugged off by this one with ease, and that’s assuming that this dragon even realizes that some powerful weapon just tried to hurt it. Primordus or Jormag could be a good candidate for that, but it could also be Kralkatorrik if he decided that he needs tougher scales after his confrontation with the Destiny’s Edge.

The Elder Dragons don’t necessarily have to be stronger than the other, they just need to challenge us in different ways. Where Zhaitan was defeated by the fleet, Mordremoth took down the fleet with ease, forcing us to navigate the jungle on foot. Where the mortars worked on the Mouth of Mordremoth, they wouldn’t even make a dent on this hypothetical dragon with unbreakable scales no matter what, so we would have to find a different way to defeat him. Or there’s an exposed spot that serves as this dragon’s Achilles’ Heel, but I’d hope that won’t be the case.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I hope they top Mordy with Whipped cream and a maraschino cherry!

in Lore

Posted by: Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Dimi Gravedancer.1463

Have we forgotten about the egg??

Also, Mesmer Dragon!!

I Can outrun a Centaur!!! Crap TREE!!!!

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Considering how Mordremoth was practically invulnerable and immortal (if not for the existence of Trahearne) and its ability to actually speak to the player and access pretty much any location within Tyria, I just don’t see how they will be able to make the remaining dragons look anywhere as threatening (both in terms of lore as well as in-game) while still making them unique. I honestly think they will not be able to top this.

Primordus is underground, he could have minions popping up anywhere!
Steve is the water dragon, and there’s water everywhere!
Primo and Kralky are kinda so so.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I am hopeful that one of the next dragons will challenge us by being extremely hard to even damage. The same weapon (I know it’s destroyed and probably won’t be rebuilt, I am just using an example) that took down Zhaitan and forced him to land on a mountain will be shrugged off by this one with ease, and that’s assuming that this dragon even realizes that some powerful weapon just tried to hurt it. Primordus or Jormag could be a good candidate for that, but it could also be Kralkatorrik if he decided that he needs tougher scales after his confrontation with the Destiny’s Edge.

The Elder Dragons don’t necessarily have to be stronger than the other, they just need to challenge us in different ways. Where Zhaitan was defeated by the fleet, Mordremoth took down the fleet with ease, forcing us to navigate the jungle on foot. Where the mortars worked on the Mouth of Mordremoth, they wouldn’t even make a dent on this hypothetical dragon with unbreakable scales no matter what, so we would have to find a different way to defeat him. Or there’s an exposed spot that serves as this dragon’s Achilles’ Heel, but I’d hope that won’t be the case.

According to Glint, Kralkatorrik could only be significantly harmed by a weapon made from a part of his own body. She made a spear from one of his spines for Destiny’s Edge… but we don’t know what happened to it.

That would make him pretty much immune to physical attack except through that one Achilles heel… which may not be simple to exploit.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Requian.5791

Requian.5791

I’m personally really looking forward to Deep Sea Dragon, because I think they can take it and it’s domain in a very lovecraftian direction, everything we know about it already suggests it. It’s domain is the unknowable dephts of the oceans, and the only description we have of it’s minions are “tentacled horrors”. It’s domain also lends itself well to the idea that even the enviroment wants to kill you, the vast expanses of water ensuring that you can never feel safe, that no matter where you are, something is lurking just at the corner of your eye. Which brings me to an idea, having the Elder Dragon take a more active part in the early levelling experience. In WoW during the Cataclysm expansion, the dragon Deathwing occasionally flew across the world, scorching entire zones and killing anyone in his path. I’d like them to do something similar with DSD. Something along the lines of, you see something massive in the distance, something that’s mobning. The first time, you might want to swim closer and check it out, only for the water to start raging around you, battering and crushing you, as DSD minions start forming out of the water in the area, and though you might not have gotten a clear look at it, you know DSD just killed you. So whenever you see it from then, get the kitten away, swim or hide and hope you’re not too late.

Also it’d pretty much force Anet to address revenant underwater combat.

in Lore

Posted by: ugrakarma.9416

ugrakarma.9416

I’m personally really looking forward to Deep Sea Dragon, because I think they can take it and it’s domain in a very lovecraftian direction, everything we know about it already suggests it. It’s domain is the unknowable dephts of the oceans, and the only description we have of it’s minions are “tentacled horrors”. It’s domain also lends itself well to the idea that even the enviroment wants to kill you, the vast expanses of water ensuring that you can never feel safe, that no matter where you are, something is lurking just at the corner of your eye. Which brings me to an idea, having the Elder Dragon take a more active part in the early levelling experience. In WoW during the Cataclysm expansion, the dragon Deathwing occasionally flew across the world, scorching entire zones and killing anyone in his path. I’d like them to do something similar with DSD. Something along the lines of, you see something massive in the distance, something that’s mobning. The first time, you might want to swim closer and check it out, only for the water to start raging around you, battering and crushing you, as DSD minions start forming out of the water in the area, and though you might not have gotten a clear look at it, you know DSD just killed you. So whenever you see it from then, get the kitten away, swim or hide and hope you’re not too late.

Theres a room for many good stuff with that.

As the HoT brought the thing to “focus on vertical exploration” and gliding, an expansion to the Deep Sea Dragon could bring something new in terms of maritime exploration. Bring forth, back atmosphere “piracy” that involved much of the history of Lions Arch. And why not improved naval battles?

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Theres a room for many good stuff with that.

As the HoT brought the thing to “focus on vertical exploration” and gliding, an expansion to the Deep Sea Dragon could bring something new in terms of maritime exploration. Bring forth, back atmosphere “piracy” that involved much of the history of Lions Arch. And why not improved naval battles?

Those are both some pretty kitten good ideas. I especially like the idea of DSD taking a more active role, yet more sinister role.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

With Sprinkles!!!!

(ok ok for real) i can see Mordy story being outdone in the future (with great writing)
i wonder can Anet meet our expectation for Jormag xD (the tooth in Hoelbrak!)

i dont really want to see the Deep Sea dragon anytime soon :s /unless underwater fighting is reworked to be as fun as land for all professions /

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

The verticality can still work underwater, you’d just be swimming up and down instead of climbing up and gliding down.
… But a there are some nice ideas around boats… the only problem is that I don’t see how it could be done in a ‘wow’ or ‘amazing’ way with the limitation of the game engines at present.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Honestly, I am hoping that Kraalkatorrik and Jormag, upon seeing how we’ve managed to defeat Zhaitan and Modremoth, finally realize how big of a threat we are as a united front and launch a two pronged invasion from the Crystal Desert in the south and Shiverpeaks in the north.

This is similar to my hope; that the story won’t go on one dragon campaign after the other until all are dead, but also allow for the EDs that remain to realise what fate has met two of their “brethren”/adversaries, and despite hungering for magic/power, we will see either

a) two Elder Dragons assaulting Tyria on two fronts at the same time, OR….

b) a storyline where two Elder Dragons assault each other. We saw how the egg absorbed the energy after Mordremoth’s death, but if an ED kills another ED they might be present to absorb it to become even greater. And in between the fight of two EDs, the heroes come in and get thrown left and right more as bystanders who can sway a fight but ultimately not avoid that one ED consumes another. And so we’d have a twist to a story that didn’t just have us going tête-á-tête with yet another dragon and live to see another day.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I don’t care anymore.

in Lore

CureForLiving.5360

I don’t care anymore.

… Ok then…

in Lore

Posted by: Starbreaker.6507

Starbreaker.6507

With Sprinkles!!!!

(ok ok for real) i can see Mordy story being outdone in the future (with great writing)
i wonder can Anet meet our expectation for Jormag xD (the tooth in Hoelbrak!)

i dont really want to see the Deep Sea dragon anytime soon :s /unless underwater fighting is reworked to be as fun as land for all professions /

Agreed.

With the way underwater combat works now it would only be tougher by virtue of having less available skills to choose from and, in the case of some classes, only one lackluster weapon to work with.

As it is now whenever I happen to be in Kessex or Sparkfly nobody wants to do the underwater champs there, so I couldn’t imagine a whole zone dedicated to it, much less an expansion.

I think back to my time in WoW when they dedicated a whole zone to being underwater and it was fairly unanimous by players it was the worst zone ever created.

(edited by Starbreaker.6507)

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Keep in mind that it seems, canonically, that the pact is “all but gone” according to the end of Hearts and Minds.

It appears that killing the mouth of mordremoth was a pyrrhic victory which may have been utter defeat without the Commander’s efforts in Hearts and Minds. Canonically the events that transpired in Dragon’s Stand represent a heroic push by the remainder of a pact that is no longer equipped to fight the remaining elder dragons, and may have failed without the assistance of the jungle’s indigenous inhabitants, and the intervention of the commander.

If any of the remaining EDs were to strike at this moment, the results would be devastating. There aren’t enough pact soldiers left to mount an effective defense on yet another major front while still dealing with cleanup in Orr and holding the line against the remaining mordrem in the silverwastes.

Anything moving forward is likely to be extremely fellowship-inspired with a major focus on what’s in the egg.

The extremely ham-handed and anticlimactic secret of each ED having a “weakness” is likely to be the focus of future plotlines, as Tyria seem to have exhausted its stock for pure martial power after facing down two Elder Dragons already.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Well even though the other dragons woke before Mordi, he was giving a massive feast. Not to mention we don’t know what the others are up to. For all we know Jormag has wiped out the Charr homelands and Krac has wiped out Elona. Its been awhile since anything has been said about these areas in game. The Charr are nit going to admit that the black citadel is all that’s left, and the order of whispers are not big on shearing information they don’t have to.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Given that communication is still held with the charr lands (via the charr – Ash and Blood legions don’t have their imperators in Ascalon and maintain communication at least on Tribune level), and even as of 1324 AE the Ash Imperator (Malice Swordshadow) had been negotiating with Almorra Soulkeeper for that human-charr treaty (and Bangar had a role in that too – one of grudging acceptance) and Elona (the Order of Whispers still have methods to get to and fro Elona), I find it near impossible for them to have been wiped out.

Further, Jormag seems fine confining himself to the cold regions, which charr lands are not. And I think it would be downright impossible for an Elder Dragon recently risen to wipe out an entire continent in 8 or so years (he awoke in 1320 AE, HoT takes place in 1328 AE), especially without the Order of Whispers sharing this information with the Pact if no one else.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Dondarrion.2748

This is similar to my hope; that the story won’t go on one dragon campaign after the other until all are dead, but also allow for the EDs that remain to realise what fate has met two of their “brethren”/adversaries, and despite hungering for magic/power, we will see either

a) two Elder Dragons assaulting Tyria on two fronts at the same time, OR….

b) a storyline where two Elder Dragons assault each other. We saw how the egg absorbed the energy after Mordremoth’s death, but if an ED kills another ED they might be present to absorb it to become even greater. And in between the fight of two EDs, the heroes come in and get thrown left and right more as bystanders who can sway a fight but ultimately not avoid that one ED consumes another. And so we’d have a twist to a story that didn’t just have us going tête-á-tête with yet another dragon and live to see another day.

Hehe, how about that…

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

how >> not, the infused destroyers are already MUCH weaker than the normal mordrem were, so I think primordius isn’t gonna be much of a threat

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

On the other hand, they’re stronger than destroyers were.

We haven’t seen the “real destroyers” yet either. These are basically just empowered weakling destroyers.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

On the other hand, they’re stronger than destroyers were.

We haven’t seen the “real destroyers” yet either. These are basically just empowered weakling destroyers.

They’re not, I checked back with the old destroyers and they burnt me more than the new ones did. The new ones can be killed without even considering using your heal skill

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

On my reaper I’ve never had problems when I was swarmed by the old destroyers. The new ones however, even three were making me use up both death shroud and heal skill constantly.

So I’d be hesitant to say the new ones are weaker overall.

Their burning may do less, but the overall damage likely does more (given that they now poison, immobilize, etc.).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

Aurene and Lazarus apparently. Oh and there actually two dragons this time.

in Lore

Dondarrion.2748

They’re not, I checked back with the old destroyers and they burnt me more than the new ones did. The new ones can be killed without even considering using your heal skill

Maybe Primordus just unlocked his specialization tree and has to fully trait the new Mordremoth line to achieve strong, green destroyers… the weak destroyers we’re seeing now is like running a specialization with only the first trait unlocked

in Lore

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I just want to see the Crystal Desert but somehow I feel Jormag might be next. You could write a good story around someone finally damaging the tooth that starts a long chain of events that leads to defeating Jormag. Seeing the Far Shiverpeaks would be fun too.

Quoting this for a second…it’s most likely Primordus we’re taking down, and then Jormag’s after that, peeps. If dragons absorb each other’s power, how can we possibly get to Jormag when he’s freezing? We kill Primordus, causing Jormag to absorb his power, heating up the temperature in the Far Shiverpeaks to where we can actually go after him without freezing to death the second we get near him.

DSD would be next after that, having absorbed ice powers, freezing the location where she’s at, allowing us to go right for her. Leaving only Kralky…

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

(edited by RyuDragnier.9476)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

That seems rather idiotic on the dragons’ part.

Primordus went to the greatest concentration of Zhaitan’s and Mordremoth’s magic – that’s why he went to the Ring of Fire Islands, not because it was nice and cozy for his heat therapy. He wasn’t slurping up fire magic and one day going “-slurp slurp slurp- hurk, death magic -poops out rotting destroyers-” He saw a plate of death and plant magic being unattended and decided to munch down.

Which means that Jormag would have to actively seek out that fire magic that Primordus would no longer be eating. And he’d be idiotic to do that since it’s a direct counter to his own magic.

Same with the DSD and ice magic – but then, even if the DSD started eating ice magic, that doesn’t mean it’ll choose to freeze over the ocean. Nor would it mean it’d be unable to eat the fire magic, thus keeping the two (ice magic and fire magic) at room temperature.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Valmir.4590

Valmir.4590

You know what I would like ? Jormag to actually be intelligent. I mean, we know that Elder Dragons can be, and so far Jormag has been portrayed as the cunning one in the lot : it went out of his way to tempt worshippers since centuries to hasten its awakening (meaning that even with sleeping minions and champions, it was able to plot the Nornbear and the precursors of modern day Sons of Svanir), it is the only Elder Dragon actively trying to breach into the Mists (for reason unknowns) and all of this was before the death of two of its brethren/competitors.

So, I hope that Jormag won’t go all Godzilla on us. Primordius, I can see doing such lashing out, after all, even as its name imply, it is the primordial one. But Jormag should try to fool us, or at least the norns. After all, the norns admit the Sons of Svanir and generally consider that peoples should be treated on their own merits, and I’m fairly certain that Jormag knows it. If it was trying to use it -perhaps by sending a champion openly to help the mortal races against Primordius – it would impress me more than him being just a primeval force of ice and death in the North.

Plus, I’m not very fond of an expansion with two dragons dying, because I fear that the affected races (here, the Asuras and Norns) wouldn’t be much fleshed out or that the dragon’s fall would lack an “identity” of a sort. And I don’t see how we could manage a war on two fronts, lore-wise… except if Primordius return to the Northern Shiverpeaks, of course.