Hypothesis about Saul and Exalted

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

So as the title said I have this hypothesis about the Exalted, Saul, and Mursaat. It is more about the lore of GW so I’m putting it here….

What if Saul D’Alessio didn’t meet the Mursaat and found a Mursaat City but instead he found the City of Tarir and found the Exalted.

After discovering the Exalted and Tarir, Saul went back to Kryta and told his story about this great city in the Maguuma Jungle with buildings towering into the sky and the Mystical Beings he saw there calling them the Unseen Ones. However, when he returned to the Maguuma Jungle he could not find the city nor the Exalted but instead he meet the Mursaat. This is when Saul actually met the Mursaat for the first time but due to the Mursaat’s Golden appearance and powerful magic abilities similar to the Exalted he mistaken the Mursaat as the Exalted thus passing the name Unseen Ones to the Mursaat instead.

Not only this hypothesis but what if the real reason why Saul was taken alive was not because it would ruin the newly founded White Mantle but Saul D’Alessio was taken because he found the Exalted and their Golden City Tarir. Thus keeping Saul alive so they can extract the information out of Saul while reaping the benefits of how the White Mantle believes the Mursaat were the Exalted Saul meet in the Maguuma Jungle. The reason for this is because the Mursaat were fighting Glint’s Flameseeker Prophecies and the Exalted are Glint’s servants along with the fact they needed sacrifices to power the bloodstone which they used the White Mantle for that part.

(I know just a crazy hypothesis but the lore of GW about Saul, Mursaat, and Exalted just got me to think about this. )

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Lore

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

It makes sense, which is probably why it won’t be what happened at all.
Did Saul go back to the Maguuma after first finding the city though? I thought he only saw the city and the “mursaat” the one time, and then returned to Kryta.

It could also be that Saul had met the Exalted and it was they that he hoped to call in during the battle with the charr, only the Mursaat appeared instead (making this the actual first meeting of Saul and the Mursaat), seeing it as an opportunity to begin their ultimate plan to kill the chosen ones. Of course Saul would know the Mursaat weren’t the same as the Exalted, especially when they started rounding up and killing people, which would explain why they made him disappear. The others, Hablion, Dorian etc. would have just assumed they were the same creatures Saul had told them about.

(edited by Swizzle.7982)

in Lore

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

It makes sense, which is probably why it won’t be what happened at all.

Guild Wars lore in a single sentence.

in Lore

Posted by: The Lionheart.3726

The Lionheart.3726

Not gonna lie, Edwin. That actually sounds very believable and ties events together in a clear and logical manner.
Unfortunately I’m forced to side with Swizzle and Zayd here, since Arenanet’s respect for its own lore is… less than stellar.

in Lore

Posted by: Zayd Akira.1942

Zayd Akira.1942

Not gonna lie, Edwin. That actually sounds very believable and ties events together in a clear and logical manner.
Unfortunately I’m forced to side with Swizzle and Zayd here, since Arenanet’s respect for its own lore is… less than stellar.

Who knows though for sure, Everyone said the same thing about Sylvari being minions of the unknown (at the time) dragon.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

I like this, it really ties the loose ends together. I wish Anet would do that more instead of opening a whole new can of beans with every major story update.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: PiippoN.2056

PiippoN.2056

Surely these creatures were the stuff of divinity. Hungry and exhausted, his clothes ragged and dirty, Saul dropped to his knees and touched his forehead to the ground. He had found his gods, and they in turn had found their most devoted disciple.

From the Prophecies Manuscripts regarding Saul meeting these mysterious beings for the first time. Heavily implies these are in fact Mursaat who have found a pawn for themselves. And what reason would the Exalted have to pose as gods anyway? They were former humans retaining their personalities and memories, surely they could have reasoned or sympathized with the man instead of letting him make up some crazy beliefs.

Meanwhile the Mursaat have a clear motive for tricking Saul from the very start, and a long-term plan laid out. Having all that be just some stroke of luck for them caused by Saul somehow managing to mistake them for the Exalted sounds really silly.

From a storytelling perspective, retconning the first contact with the Mursaat as being Exalted would be a very lame way to jam them into the existing lore. Not that ANet doesn’t have a bit of a history of doing this but still…

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

From the Prophecies Manuscripts regarding Saul meeting these mysterious beings for the first time. Heavily implies these are in fact Mursaat who have found a pawn for themselves. And what reason would the Exalted have to pose as gods anyway? They were former humans retaining their personalities and memories, surely they could have reasoned or sympathized with the man instead of letting him make up some crazy beliefs.

Meanwhile the Mursaat have a clear motive for tricking Saul from the very start, and a long-term plan laid out. Having all that be just some stroke of luck for them caused by Saul somehow managing to mistake them for the Exalted sounds really silly.

From a storytelling perspective, retconning the first contact with the Mursaat as being Exalted would be a very lame way to jam them into the existing lore. Not that ANet doesn’t have a bit of a history of doing this but still…

Do not forget the saying of the Priory….

“History never lies. Historians however…”

What we know of Saul D’Alessio is based on what Krytan historian have writing about him. No one really knows what really happened when Saul first met the “Unseen ones” he spoke about but could only interpret what happened from what he had told them.

Along with that Saul was also not in his right mind fully when he found them as stated in the lore due to lack of food and water so his interpretation may have been impared by his current state of mind during that time.

(edited by EdwinLi.1284)

in Lore

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I wouldn’t even be mad, let alone disappointed if this was the case.

If ArenaNet haven’t thought of anything else, I really wish this was it.