I can't believe Malchor is Grenth's father

in Lore

Posted by: ICEing.9237

ICEing.9237

That whiny ghost is Grenth’s dad? I didn’t know this. So what happened lore wise?

Teknekality

[Dark Renegatus]

in Lore

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here’s the wiki article:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Malchor

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Probably the wrong forum and it’s also only a speculation as far as I know

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

To be fair talking about him as “that whiny ghost” simply shows that you clearly don’t understand his story.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

Because hes not. Grenth was already a god when malchor was tasked with creating the statues

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

Because hes not. Grenth was already a god when malchor was tasked with creating the statues

Was he?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Malchor was a creepy stalker.

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

And your source for that?

If you go check the DR statue of Grenth, you’ll notice that the inscription was changed to had been said by Desmina (it was Malchor at launch). Most likely reason? To fix a continuity error with Grenth’s parenthood. Right now Malchor seems to have no knowledge of Grenth, which would fit well if he was the unknowing (and unknown) father.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

According to in-game dialogue:

Priestess Rhie is the foremost current priest of Grenth, and is said to be highly gifted by the god of death. She is capable of calling into the Underworld to summon the souls of the dead. She also knows of the priesthood’s secrets about Grenth, such as that he was originally a half-god, being the son of Dwayna and a mortal sculptor.

You can also read the story of Dwayna, Malchor, and Grenth (their son) here:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Orrian_History_Scrolls

in Lore

Posted by: Shift Focus.9083

Shift Focus.9083

Thank the six, Dwayna has a really nice booty judging by the concept art and the statues, I thought malchor never tapped that.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

There is not absolute proof that Malchor is Grenth’s father. However, it is exceedingly likely.

Malchor isn’t a “whiner” really, but a hopeless romantic (though not so hopeless if he has a son… which he wouldn’t know about). He went insane with love, and it is more of a tragedy than him being a “whiner”. People make fun of it because of modern society and all the jokes and insults that are of rather poor taste around emos and goths (I cannot speak about all, but the emos and goths I’ve known in my life were very fun company, and not in the “make fun of” means either). And despite the constant jokes, Malchor isn’t emo.

There’s subliminal hints that there was equal love between the two but the barrier of god and mortal prevented continued union, and this drove said mortal insane. I don’t quite like the plot (very cliche’d and over used general concept with a sad ending) but it’s far from bad.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Ayakaru.6583

He carved dwaynas statute last. So he carved grenths statue before dwaynas statue. And he didnt have alone time with the Gods anywhere else

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

He carved dwaynas statute last. So he carved grenths statue before dwaynas statue. And he didnt have alone time with the Gods anywhere else

We don’t know if he carved Grenth’s statue.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Ayakaru.6583

We don’t know if he carved Grenth’s statue.

It seems we have a second sculptor?? Please do enlighten.

As for the rest of the discussion:

“Standing before his immortal mother, Grenth claimed his place among the gods. Where his father had fallen, Grenth would rise.”

I believe his father was a more important person than that

in Lore

Ayakaru.6583

But yes, he carved all statues, in order;
Balthazar, Melandru, Lyssandra, Abaddon, Grenth, Dwayna

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Where did you get that order from? And the place he became a god, “where his father had fallen”, was… Malchor’s Leap.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Thank the six, Dwayna has a really nice booty judging by the concept art and the statues, I thought malchor never tapped that.

Agreed, but John Curtis’ quote about the Goddess made me chuckle.

Maybe it’s because I don’t believe in the gods. Or maybe it’s because I prefer my woman to be a little more…stout. But I look at that statue and I don’t see incredible beauty worth dying for.

Somewhere out there is a Norn woman for him.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

But yes, he carved all statues, in order;
Balthazar, Melandru, Lyssandra, Abaddon, Grenth, Dwayna

Lyssa, not Lyssandra. And source on the order, please.

We have nothing that actually says he carved Abaddon or Grenth’s statues. What prevents him from having carved Dhuum’s and Abaddon’s predecessor’s ststues?

Other than it meaning Abaddon was a god for less than a century before his fall, and younger than Grenth which seems highly unlikely, of course. The Abaddon bit was more “technicality” than “likelihiod”.

The only evidence we ever had of Malchor carving Grenth’s statue was the inscription of the DR Grenth statue, which has been removed out stealthily like one does for retconning continuity errors, and an old pre-release article originally in French telling the story if Malchir and claiming he carved Grenth’s and Kormir’s statue. The latter obviously wrong and the former? Could be too.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

When another thread came up recently I had a dig around. I don’t think the facts are conclusive but we have …
- Grenth was the first god born of Tyria, his mother was Dwayna, and his father was a mortal sculptor. This rules out some of the more exotic theories of his origins.
- It’s unlikely that Dwayna was so obsessed with sculpture that she would hold affection for two mortal sculptors.
- The history scrolls and Malchor’s ghost seem to suggest a chaste relationship with Dwayna. It’s quite believable however that the scrolls are hiding the truth about the sexual affairs of the gods.
- It’s possible that Dwayna conceived Grenth in a way that’s impossible for human reproduction. She is the goddess of life after all.
- Malchor was asked by the six gods to create statues of them. Since Grenth replaced Dhuum as a god, we don’t know if that six includes Grenth or Dhuum.
- “Standing before his immortal mother, Grenth claimed his place among the gods. Where his father had fallen, Grenth would rise.” This is an ideal fit for Malchor’s Leap at the Temple of Dwayna.

in Lore

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Here’s another shocker. Rytlock is Rox’s half-brother.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I disagree with the History Scrolls indicating a caste relationship between the two:

“When it was done, he asked Dwayna if she favored the image, and weeping, Dwayna allowed him to touch her face, that he might know the precision with which—even blind—he had carved her image.”
“But then, as she knew she must, the goddess Dwayna left and returned to Arah, leaving the sculptor alone.”

This shows a mutual feelings, though it doesn’t give direct hints to them getting together even for a night, it isn’t excluded or hinted against either.

Here’s another shocker. Rytlock is Rox’s half-brother.

Only according to the SCRAPPED ending for Season 1.

Given that Marjory didn’t die and Braham isn’t upset at Taimi, and they’re not calling themselves Destiny’s Orphans, we cannot be sure of this yet either. No different than anything else found solely within the gw.dat.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Well they must have gotten together at least once if Malchor is indeed the father of Grenth.

Unless anet wants to immitate the Bible.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

However, it’d make perfect sense given how a Gladium MINER is being considered for joining the Stone Warband, which contains a blood legion tribune. It’s a rather big jump is position to get :P

And the fact Rytlock knows about her good luck charm quirks and stuff in the delegation short story. I can easily see them being related in some way.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

By the time of that short story the two had been interracting in a series of him giving her tests for months. Him not knowing if an obvious quirk would be weird.

To her being considered despite having been a miner… We don’t know what she was doing between her losing her warband and us meeting her. Just that was when she began trying to get into the Stone Warband.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Well, it’s a detail that even if it’s true or not, it’s beliable

in Lore

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

If Malchor couldn’t look at the gods for too long without going blind, how did he bone Dwayna? Just wondering.

Incursiön [iN]

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

I am almost certain that blind people can and do have sex.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

If Malchor couldn’t look at the gods for too long without going blind, how did he bone Dwayna? Just wondering.

I don’t see how that is related. Blind people can have sex you know

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

I think he might be asking, that if looking at them makes you go blind, what happens during sex.

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

maybe actual physical sex wasn’t necessary. Perhaps Mal had a heated dream and nine months later a bouncing baby god was born.

in Lore

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

maybe actual physical sex wasn’t necessary. Perhaps Mal had a heated dream and nine months later a bouncing baby god was born.

I would feel so cheated. No wonder he jumped.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There was a Phil & Dixie comic which covered this exact topic (of how mortal-god intercourse might be completely different to how we imagine it). XD

in Lore

Posted by: mcgriddles.2416

mcgriddles.2416

I think he might be asking, that if looking at them makes you go blind, what happens during sex.

Kinda. I know that blind people have sex… Obviously.
What I mean is like… How do you go through with having sex with someone (assuming it was conventional, tried-and-true mortal sex) if you know that spending too much time looking at them will make you go blind? Like that’s pretty difficult to achieve imo.

Incursiön [iN]

in Lore

Posted by: Underdark.3726

Underdark.3726

ever tried to have sex blindfolded?

in Lore

Nope, doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Blind people do plenty of things I would not be able to do with a blindfold.

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

What I mean is like… How do you go through with having sex with someone (assuming it was conventional, tried-and-true mortal sex) if you know that spending too much time looking at them will make you go blind? Like that’s pretty difficult to achieve imo.

Must resist saying something that might be inappropriate…

Must resist….

Must resist….

Must…

AHHHH!!!!

Maybe Malchor had the pleasure of having Dwayna’s oh face as being the last thing he saw before he went blind?

in Lore

It’s quite an accomplishment if you think about it.
He actually boned a god

~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Or he could have shut he’s eyes. Some people are actually into that sort of thing.

Yeah I’m still gonna go with the blindfold idea here.

Well you see as long as the person that’s blindfolded is… yeah no I don’t feel like getting an infraction :P

in Lore

lordkrall.7241

Love does strange things to people.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Malchor isn’t a “whiner” really, but a hopeless romantic (though not so hopeless if he has a son… which he wouldn’t know about). He went insane with love, and it is more of a tragedy than him being a “whiner”. People make fun of it because of modern society and all the jokes and insults that are of rather poor taste around emos and goths (I cannot speak about all, but the emos and goths I’ve known in my life were very fun company, and not in the “make fun of” means either). And despite the constant jokes, Malchor isn’t emo..

We call him a whiner because of all the moaning he does when we’re trying to browbeat (and just plain beat) him back to the Temple of Dwayna. Many’s the time I told him to shut it. Never works XD

Maybe Malchor had the pleasure of having Dwayna’s oh face as being the last thing he saw before he went blind?

Being a transcendent polymorphological cosmic entity, maybe in that one instant she lost control and let slip she’s really more along the lines of The Goddess of the Black Fan than Lenneth Valkyrie.

Or the pleasure of the union seared his kitten off.

It seems we have a second sculptor?? Please do enlighten.

Was he on the grassy knoll? Malchor didn’t leap, HE WAS PUSHED! What did King Doric know, and when did he know it?

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

RL mythology gives us a few different options.

-A goddess disguised in mortal form

-“Dream sex”

-Any kind of spiritual/magical buffer that would protect Mal to some degree.

in Lore

Posted by: Mental Paradox.3845

Mental Paradox.3845

Yes, but how does that even work? A human is maybe six feet tall, but we know from seeing Abaddon that gods are quite huge. I mean, “that”, in “there”? How???

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

perhaps a god can change it’s size at will. The greek gods were known to do it for those same purposes.

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

another thing is…
whos to say that grenth was even born?(hear me out)
what if the day he was “born” he came out (from where not sure)
fully grown or close to i mean he is a part god after all
accelerated growth should be nothing compared to the powers he has.

also about the statues
okay so maybe he did sculpt them all but perhaps dhuum was still around and he sculpted him and then later once grenth succeeded him all the statues where re-sculpted
(hence new sculptor)
or in combination with first theory
he came out fully formed or close to And this meant melchor would have no idea he had a god son (sorry ad joke) cause i mean u know who expects a fully grown adult god to be their child.
and than he would be able to sculpt him in his all his adultness!

hmmmm am i missing anything?
i mean this seams to fit all the controversy quite well