"I will be the only God!"

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

So new trailer and we get Balthazar’s reason for all of his actions.

Balthazar seeks to become the One and Only God of the World thus has begun a campaign to build up his army in Tyria and absorb all Elder Dragon’s Magic so he can become powerful enough to kill the other Gods thus becoming the One and Only God of the World.

This also implies that Balthy becoming this weak is the result of the other Gods banishing him to this state due to his attempt to take control of their domains.

The trailer also shows his main base of Operations is in Elona!

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

So new trailer and we get Balthazar’s reason for all of his actions.

Balthazar seeks to become the One and Only God of the World thus has begun a campaign to build up his army in Tyria and absorb all Elder Dragon’s Magic so he can become powerful enough to kill the other Gods thus becoming the One and Only God of the World.

This also implies that Balthy becoming this weak is the result of the other Gods banishing him to this state due to his attempt to take control of their domains.

The trailer also shows his main base of Operations is in Elona!

That’s a lot of assumptions there. I don’t remember him saying he was going to kill the other gods. Maybe physical “gods”, since I can see Joko setting himself up as God-Pharaoh in Elona, but has he talked negatively about the Six yet? If they were the mysterious “They” that dimmed his light, all he said was that he was going to make them see him. That isn’t exactly, “I’m going to kill them all and become the one true god! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”.

in Lore

Posted by: Bazompora.2635

Bazompora.2635

The other of the Six True Gods can’t be in better shape. Given that Aatxes and other Underworld fiends invade through the weakened separation of realms at the Temple of the Ages, it can be surmised that Grenth shares the same fate as Balthazaar at best, lest that of Melandru.

Elonians who know her history are often proud to have one of their own in the pantheon.

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Meh.

The whole Balthazar stuff is still too fuzzy for me. I don’t have enough info to actualy care about him. So far he is too comical evil, that it’s mostly sad, in regard to the crisis at hand.

It feels like we deal with a more powerful Braham right now.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Speaking of comically evil, Joko is in his favorite spot again! He’s the (ever so slightly) lesser of two evil since his actions don’t threatening all of Tyria (just Elona).

in Lore

Jaken.6801

If they didn’t go ahead and made Balthazar straight evil in his depiction, but kept the mystery from his reveal I might be interesting.
However now he feels just annoying.
I don’t want to deal with him. I don’t care about him. He made Lazarus the background character in his own season, to a point where he was an afterthought.

I really hope the expansion doesn’t take too long with the Balthazar stuff and we quickly smack his head in (or reveal his true beeing as his evil brother. Something interesting at least), so we can go back and save the world from going out of balance?

I allready have Braham throwing a tantrum, I don’t need to have the same thing with a God… which by all that we know, will be a good analogy between the two.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

To quote Balthazar in the trailer:

“I will right this wrong.”

-skip-

“They cannot escape my wrath.”

“When I am done… I will be the only god.”

This seems to me that the theories of the other gods betraying Balthazar / being the cause of his fall is true. But worst yet is that this is almost an exact duplicate of Abaddon’s plot.

When he rebelled against the gods, it was after they revoked his gift of magic and the Forgotten nearly wiped out his people, and his goal became to rule Tyria as the “only god”. With Nightfall, his goal appeared to change to freedom and revenge against the gods, without much care for ruling Tyria.

Now we have Balthazar, who sees himself betrayed by the other gods, and seeks revenge against them.

Did ArenaNet think we loved Abaddon’s plot so much we want to see it happen again or something?

We don’t know why the gods weakened Balthazar, but it seems based on his dialogue that this is so. Otherwise, he would not be proclaiming to be “the only god” when all is said and done. Unless the other gods are already dead, which I find unlikely as that would make him already the only god (unless they were usurped by Dhuum and Menzies or similar beings he is now out to kill).

Even his forces seem to be akin to a duplication of Abaddon’s – his mercenaries seem no more, replaced instead by these “Forged”, and just as Margonites were demonic-like beings with watery bodies, these are demonic-like constructs with fiery bodies… Next we’ll learn the Forged are the mercenaries… Or better yet – they’re the Zaishen!

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Jaken.6801

I wish they had skipped the Lazarus part for later and given us more meat for Balthazar.

It could helped flesh out Livia, give us a nice little hunt or even a Raid.

Balthazar is missing too much to be interesting or, like Konig said, an Abaddon rehash.

It would have been nice if we went there knowing at least his motivation. Maybe by meeting another gods emissary. He is the god of war and fire. It will always be*evil* in some way. However there is a difference between neccessary evil and evil evil. Right now he is the latter.

in Lore

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

Balthazar GW1:
Cool guy who values strength, courage, and honor in battle. You ask him for assistance in fighting a god, and he (amongst the others) offers only words of encouragement for the upcoming battle.

Balthazar GW2:
IM A SIMPLE COMIC BOOK VILLIAN F*** HUMANS ILL KILL YOU ALL I HATE EVERYONE FITE ME M8 YU’LL GET #REKT 360 NOSCOPE MY BLADE IS DARK AS MY SOUL #MOUNTS_NOW_AVAILABLE_IN_WORLD_OF_GUILDCRAFT #BUYMOREGEMS

Also, if he can just simply conjure up an army even in the presumed weakened state the gods are in in GW2, why the heck didn’t he do so to clear Menzies out of his realm in GW1? What’s Menzies doing now anyway?
Seriously, I would have actually thought it was neat if the Menzies/Dhuum partnership came back as the big bad this time as both have a precedent of essentially being an evil fallen God, but no, writers are being crap like always.

Oh God, I can’t even imagine what they’re going to do to Joko, the Sunspears, or anything else that I remember fondly from GW1.

(edited by narwhalsbend.7059)

in Lore

narwhalsbend.7059

. He is the god of war and fire. It will always be*evil* in some way. However there is a difference between neccessary evil and evil evil. Right now he is the latter.

I’m no master lore master, but he was never evil in GW1.

in Lore

EdwinLi.1284

. He is the god of war and fire. It will always be*evil* in some way. However there is a difference between neccessary evil and evil evil. Right now he is the latter.

We never met Balthazar in GW1 anyways. Only his Avatar which was just another Eternal.

However, from lore he was always a big jerk to begin with. He literally murdered a person for beating him in a bet instead of honoring that bet after he lost.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I wouldn’t call Balthazar from GW1 a “big jerk” – he had anger issues and wasn’t the kindest god for sure, but he, as narwhalsbend said, still valued, and blessed, strength, courage, and valor.

Hell, this was even so in core GW2. But with Season 3, we’re getting a lot of painting him black both in modern times and retroactively. And the same is being attributed to the other gods, except Abaddon.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

The whole valuing Valor reminds me of Odyn from WoW who’s quite the nasty character regardless.

Balthazar’s treatment of a scared guy who happened to end up on the battlefield(most likely due to being drafted) shows that Balthazar’s view of Honor and Valor is unjust and cruel(the God of Israel didn’t treat scared soldiers like that but rather had them sent home to preserve moral among the army and as for Greece’s War God Ares: he’s a coward himself).

(edited by Mickey Frogeater.1470)

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

The whole valuing Valor reminds me of Odyn from WoW who’s quite the nasty character regardless.

Balthazar’s treatment of a scared guy who happened to end up on the battlefield(most likely due to being drafted) shows that Balthazar’s view of Honor and Valor is unjust and cruel(the God of Israel didn’t treat scared soldiers like that but rather had them sent home to preserve moral among the army and as for Greece’s War God Ares: he’s a coward himself).

Yeah, but that’s the retconned Balthazar, a story written after they decided to make him a villain.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Jaken.6801

I didn’t mean evil as in literal evil, but since his deeds were based on war, it can be seen as evil. As he would perpetuate war.

I mean, he is like Ares in that regard.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Ares was a coward. Most War Gods were Cowards(and literally the same God using another name) aside from the War Gods of Shinto, El Elyon from Canaanite/Christian/Hebrew/Islamic Myth and Odin of Norse Myth.

in Lore

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

Balthazar GW1:
Cool guy who values strength, courage, and honor in battle. You ask him for assistance in fighting a god, and he (amongst the others) offers only words of encouragement for the upcoming battle.

Balthazar GW2:
IM A SIMPLE COMIC BOOK VILLIAN F*** HUMANS ILL KILL YOU ALL I HATE EVERYONE FITE ME M8 YU’LL GET #REKT 360 NOSCOPE MY BLADE IS DARK AS MY SOUL #MOUNTS_NOW_AVAILABLE_IN_WORLD_OF_GUILDCRAFT #BUYMOREGEMS

Also, if he can just simply conjure up an army even in the presumed weakened state the gods are in in GW2, why the heck didn’t he do so to clear Menzies out of his realm in GW1? What’s Menzies doing now anyway?
Seriously, I would have actually thought it was neat if the Menzies/Dhuum partnership came back as the big bad this time as both have a precedent of essentially being an evil fallen God, but no, writers are being crap like always.

Oh God, I can’t even imagine what they’re going to do to Joko, the Sunspears, or anything else that I remember fondly from GW1.

I think Palawa Joko is a pretty safe character, specially with the way writing is going. Just pick a sassy voice actor and fill him up with sassy lines to be the not-so-evil guy who you must assist because the other option is always more edgy.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The trailers clearly show us fighting Awakened, which would point to us fighting against Joko as well as Balthazar and Kralkatorrik. A kind of “against enemies on all sides” kind of situation seems to be the case.

Lets hope they don’t turn him into an unredemptive megalomaniac like they seem to be doing to Balthazar, though.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

The trailers clearly show us fighting Awakened, which would point to us fighting against Joko as well as Balthazar and Kralkatorrik. A kind of “against enemies on all sides” kind of situation seems to be the case.

Lets hope they don’t turn him into an unredemptive megalomaniac like they seem to be doing to Balthazar, though.

Yeah. One of the things that turned me off the Warcraft setting entirely (I never played WoW, but I did continue following the lore for a bit) is that Blizzard went on a trip of having every character with a touch of grey going full pure evil villain just so they could have a raid boss. Now it feels like ArenaNet is going down the same path… and if they are, I’ve got to be honest, it might have the same result.

That said, there was the mention that a lot of the people of Elona see Joko as their rightful ruler. There’s clearly opposition to his rule as well (we’ve known the Order of Whispers has been opposing him since the Movement of the World) but it does suggest that his rule is at least tolerable.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: draco.2147

draco.2147

Even his forces seem to be akin to a duplication of Abaddon’s – his mercenaries seem no more, replaced instead by these “Forged”, and just as Margonites were demonic-like beings with watery bodies, these are demonic-like constructs with fiery bodies… Next we’ll learn the Forged are the mercenaries… Or better yet – they’re the Zaishen!

spoiler about the first instance and open world below

In the first instance you see the streamers play, one of the forged, the ‘herald of balthazar’ has combat dialogue where she says “every life i claim is another conscript in Balthazar’s army!”

I also think somewhere she states somewhere Balthazar chose her, inclining she was human before, and you see Zaishen in the open world trying to recruit people to join him as well. Given all that I reckon we can predict the Forged are mercenaries, or just souls in constructs.

in Lore

EdwinLi.1284

In the first instance you see the streamers play, one of the forged, the ‘herald of balthazar’ has combat dialogue where she says “every life i claim is another conscript in Balthazar’s army!”

I also think somewhere she states somewhere Balthazar chose her, inclining she was human before, and you see Zaishen in the open world trying to recruit people to join him as well. Given all that I reckon we can predict the Forged are mercenaries, or just souls in constructs.

Certainly follow how Balthazar has built his army in the past since his original army, the Eternals, had always consisted of people who are dead rather than his own creations. The more he kills the more are sent into the mist where they become part of Balthazar’s army. Considering this the Eternal Army may not be gone but may currently remain in the Mist as his Forces to deal with threats from the Mist while the Forge maybe Eternals given Forge Bodies so they can have a Physical Form to remain in the world of the living.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Which kinda just makes him another Abaddon, except with Forged rather than titans and shiro’ken.

Heck, even at first glance the Forged have a shiro’ken vibe, except based of Balthazar-esque themes rather than Canthan creatures. They also have a certain resemblance to the Blades from the Spellforce series.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Well, great.

Another undead army. Balthazar uses souls of the dead and Joko us using undead/awakened.

I dunno, this plot doesn’t seem like a step up from Zaithan.
I mean Mordremoth did turn the living Sylvari and created his own copies of living things.
Now we got more or less the second and third undead army at once.

I really hope Joko was pretty content creating his undead paradise and got his revenge, so he just want get rid of Balthazar, so he can simply be the eternal king again.
He always striked me as just another ruler (with an undead twist), not the world conquerer (memory can be faulty, haven’t played Nightfalla s much as the others)

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Well, Joko has certainly showed that he’s not content just ruling his own patch.

The question is whether he conquered Elona because he genuinely believed he had a legitimate right to it, and therefore might stop there, or whether it’s just because he’s an expansionist opportunist. If it’s the former, then he might be willing to stop at Elona’s borders (although there might be a problem if he considers Kryta to still be rightfully Elonian… or if he decides he wants to go after King Thorn). If it’s the latter, then he’s a clear danger to the people of Tyria. He doesn’t need to be world-destroying evil to be a threat.

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Certainly follow how Balthazar has built his army in the past since his original army, the Eternals, had always consisted of people who are dead rather than his own creations. The more he kills the more are sent into the mist where they become part of Balthazar’s army. Considering this the Eternal Army may not be gone but may currently remain in the Mist as his Forces to deal with threats from the Mist while the Forge maybe Eternals given Forge Bodies so they can have a Physical Form to remain in the world of the living.

Talking about the Mist where the dead go, and players can go to fight eternally sounded similar to the former realms of Balthazar. The Desert Borderland in WvW with its many pyramid bastions bear a very close similarity to the Balthazar apocalypse vision and Path OF Fire trailer’s ones.

I am calling it – the end of WvW is neigh… as we know it. J/K

Now if currently Balthazar has lost his former realm FOW and is looking for a new realm to rule then he might not only be going for the Crystal Desert but he might also go for the WvW Mist realms as well?

Further, Fractal of the Mist, Dessa Lab will get invaded by new characters. What is the relationship between Asura pyramid and the Crystal Desert pyramid if any?

(edited by Avariz.8241)

in Lore

narwhalsbend.7059

What is the relationship between Asura pyramid and the Crystal Desert pyramid if any?

Asura like geometric shapes and Elona did not have any sort of grand pyramids as I recall.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Well, Joko has certainly showed that he’s not content just ruling his own patch.

The question is whether he conquered Elona because he genuinely believed he had a legitimate right to it, and therefore might stop there, or whether it’s just because he’s an expansionist opportunist. If it’s the former, then he might be willing to stop at Elona’s borders (although there might be a problem if he considers Kryta to still be rightfully Elonian… or if he decides he wants to go after King Thorn). If it’s the latter, then he’s a clear danger to the people of Tyria. He doesn’t need to be world-destroying evil to be a threat.

King Thorn? Now that would be an interesting Halloween, but I unfortunatly doubt we get something as interesting again.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

What is the relationship between Asura pyramid and the Crystal Desert pyramid if any?

Asura like geometric shapes and Elona did not have any sort of grand pyramids as I recall.

There were some pyramid-ish structures in the Desolation, back from the Primeval Kings. Joko may have liked the aesthetic enough to bring it back.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Which kinda just makes him another Abaddon, except with Forged rather than titans and shiro’ken.

Heck, even at first glance the Forged have a shiro’ken vibe, except based of Balthazar-esque themes rather than Canthan creatures. They also have a certain resemblance to the Blades from the Spellforce series.

Abaddon was chained within his realm while Balthazar is fully active.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

When Abaddon began working to become the “one true god of Tyria”, after he was denied gifting magic, he was not chained within his realm, and was turning human Margonites into demonic Margonites, in what is now the Crystal Desert.

Balthazar, who is working to become the “one true god” (of the Mists? of the Six?), is denied obtaining magic, he is not chained and (so it seems) is turning humans into Forged, in what is now the Crystal Desert.

The parallels and repetitions are staggering. And it should be clarified, the parallels are to Abaddon on a whole, not just Nightfall, though there are plenty with just that too.

Unless these parallels are an intentional plot point – which I’m rather doubtful at the moment given the, ah, quality of GW2’s plots thus far – it can only be called what it actually is.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

‘Nobody likes you Balthazar’ presents….

“I’ll be the only God, your God, I deserve this”.

Buuut if he kills a dragon so then Tyria will be destroyed aaaand Balthazar will rule over…. over what? xD Quaggans?? If Tyria will be destroyed I am sure the Quaggans will survive and the next ‘Guild Wars 3’ will be all about newly built Quaggan’s kingdom.

Their master will be Quaggan ‘Leave ya’.

And Balthazar will rule over Faren who will somehow survive the destruction of Tyria because he was taking shower. And the 1st expansion will be called Pants of Faren- a breathtaking history about where Faren’s pants are and we will make a journey to Quaggan Desert and Faren will find his pants there worshipped by Quaggan.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

in Lore

Jaken.6801

He will rule about a new metaplane and the souls of the dead, he took over.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Buuut if he kills a dragon so then Tyria will be destroyed aaaand Balthazar will rule over…. over what?

This is coming up a lot… but, to play devil’s advocate…

Taimi’s model holds that Tyria will be destroyed if another dragon’s worth of magic is released. And she openly admitted in Flashpoint that she has no idea what adding Balthazar to the equation would do. It’s possible that he’d be able to safely contain that energy. (Our character is treating that as another bad thing, and from what we’ve seen in the trailer, they might be right to, but that’s not necessarily the same as the end of the world.)

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

That was a thought I’d had myself. There might well be an element where, if it wasn’t for the big question mark over Balthazar’s motives, the best thing for Tyria might well have been for him to consume several dragons worth of magic and leave, taking that magic with him.

ArenaNet does seem to be character-assassinating him into full burn-the-world cliche Dark Lord villain, though.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The hologram simulation showed more to me that it was the act of the orbs going silent causing Tyria to go silent, rather than “going chaotic and overloading”. Comparable to the Earth’s core going dead, no longer rotating, rather than things like we saw at Bloodstone Fen and Thaumanova.

If that’s the case, then magic being taken out of the equation won’t solve the issue. The issue is The All itself being out of balance – the six “bodies of power” that are not the Elder Dragons but intricately tied to them dying off.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: sfxblade.3459

sfxblade.3459

The way i see it, is that the dragons act as a vessel for magic on tyria, while the gods act as a vessel in the mysts. When Abaddon was killed in the realm of torment, he was in the mysts, thus they needed a vessel for the magic, and kormir took his place.

Omad’s machine showed that killing a dragon would free a vessel spot, releasing the magic into the world. This is the big threat,the unbound magic.

I have the impression that the mysts are suffering from the same fate, something must’ve happened where balthazar kitten up, they tried to do the same as with Abaddon with Balth. As long as the being stays in the mysts, the balance seems fine. Balth had other plans, he fled into our world, thus they are missing a vessel, and i am assuming that’s why we have all these anomalies and portals opening from the mysts into our world and the fractals, all these pieces of reality mixed together.

He’s trying to steal our “vessels” and absorb all the ones in the mysts, and become a single giant one. Thing is he’s destroying our world in the process. Aurene will likely act as a big absorption machine. Maybe the other gods will join in at the end, and try to bring Balth back to their world, to restore the balance, if he is killed here in the “physical” world, i think that would be bad news for them. All the god wars always happened in the mysts, this would also be the reason why, when Abaddon was giving his magic to humans, the other gods knew it was bad news for them, and we know the rest of the story.

Anyways that’s my random theory. This would also explain why the god didn’t stay very long here. Maybe staying to long here, weakened the other universe(mysts) and they had to go back?

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Abaddon did wanted to rule over Tyria with man kind. However Balthazar said he didn’t care about destroying Tyria and mankind as long as he could achieve his ultimate godhood goal. What ever that is. This point to the Mist as his ultimate godhood aim.

About the Mist, Rytlock headband that covered his eyes is coming off in the coming expansion. The whole Rytlock eye bandage thing had only come about in the Mist. Otherwise his sight is alright. What is the need for Rytlock to have his eyes covered if not to protect his sight from very bright light in the Mist. But the Mist do not normally have bright light that can take away mortal sight. The only phenomena that I know of that does this and needed protection from is divine light from the 6 gods.

If Rytlock were to have met the human gods hiding in the Mist and the human gods did not want this to be known, then the Six would have put Rytlock under secrecy for it. From who did Rytlock learnt his Revenant skills if not from a divine source while in the Mist. While under divine tutelage Rytlock would have needed eye bandage to protect his sight.

All is pure speculation and I very well could turned out very wrong on this one.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As long as the being stays in the mysts, the balance seems fine. Balth had other plans, he fled into our world, thus they are missing a vessel, and i am assuming that’s why we have all these anomalies and portals opening from the mysts into our world and the fractals, all these pieces of reality mixed together.

This wouldn’t make much sense (then again, what in the story is making sense anymore?), since the gods were all in Tyria for over five centuries, and it is said that even now they’re not in The Mists (or anywhere humans can search in the Mists, at least). If the Six had to remain in the Mists and not in one of the worlds, then this calamity would have occurred over a millenia ago. Also, technically, Tyria is within the Mists as the Mists encompass “all things in the mutiverse”.

The anomalies are due through and through because of the abundant magic in the world, from killing Zhaitan and Mordremoth; the rifts don’t seem related to the Mists at all, but more to the Bloodstone’s explosion (which one may be able to relate to Balthazar, but this seems a similar effect to Thaumanova’s explosion, but larger scale).

About the Mist, Rytlock headband that covered his eyes is coming off in the coming expansion. The whole Rytlock eye bandage thing had only come about in the Mist. Otherwise his sight is alright. What is the need for Rytlock to have his eyes covered if not to protect his sight from very bright light in the Mist. But the Mist do not normally have bright light that can take away mortal sight. The only phenomena that I know of that does this and needed protection from is divine light from the 6 gods.

If Rytlock only needed the blindfold because he was interacting with the gods, why keep it on throughout HoT and Season 3?

From who did Rytlock learnt his Revenant skills if not from a divine source while in the Mist. While under divine tutelage Rytlock would have needed eye bandage to protect his sight.

Honestly, I always saw the Revenant profession as being very similar to Razah’s abilities in GW1, to assume any profession.

The short shot of Rytlock in the Mists, though, reminds me of a burnt out Fissure of Woe – as if all the fire had been smothered there. There’s a bunch of chains (FoW had a lot of chains coming from the sky, especially around the Temple of War ), and a lot of ash falling.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Rytlock’s reason for wearing the blindfold is actually revealed early in PoF:

He’s not blind at all. He’s wearing it for much the same reason ritualists did – it helps him to focus on sorting out the “voices in his head”.

The hologram simulation showed more to me that it was the act of the orbs going silent causing Tyria to go silent, rather than “going chaotic and overloading”. Comparable to the Earth’s core going dead, no longer rotating, rather than things like we saw at Bloodstone Fen and Thaumanova.

If that’s the case, then magic being taken out of the equation won’t solve the issue. The issue is The All itself being out of balance – the six “bodies of power” that are not the Elder Dragons but intricately tied to them dying off.

Eh. What I see in that simulation is energy arcing between the two orbs and then grounding into Tyria, causing Tyria to crack open. Essentially, just a continuation of what happened when the other Elder Dragons were killed, but this time it hits the magic overload stage.

It’s possible that there is a bigger problem with the machine than with how the other dragons were killed previously. The machine essentially sought to cancel out the fire and ice spheres, so it’s possible that such cancelling would have removed magic from the equation rather than adding it, leading to the scenario you describe. However, it did seem to be that the simulation was showing the result of too much magic rather than too little.

Either way, there is an element of Taimi’s simulation probably not taking into account the possibility of Balthazar absorbing the magic.

in Lore

Jaken.6801

Apearently we will find out at the beginning of PoF that Rytlocks Headband was a red hering.

He only wore that thing, to get used to the revenant voices in his head (recently answered by woodenpotatoes in his Q&A I believe, it’s one of the first instances so only a semi spoiler).
Put that one of the pile of people don’t telling us what is going on, for stupid mysteries.

So yeah, he might have seen something god related, but not in the way we think.

in Lore

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

To quote Balthazar in the trailer:

“I will right this wrong.”

-skip-

“They cannot escape my wrath.”

“When I am done… I will be the only god.”

This seems to me that the theories of the other gods betraying Balthazar / being the cause of his fall is true. But worst yet is that this is almost an exact duplicate of Abaddon’s plot.

When he rebelled against the gods, it was after they revoked his gift of magic and the Forgotten nearly wiped out his people, and his goal became to rule Tyria as the “only god”. With Nightfall, his goal appeared to change to freedom and revenge against the gods, without much care for ruling Tyria.

Now we have Balthazar, who sees himself betrayed by the other gods, and seeks revenge against them.

Did ArenaNet think we loved Abaddon’s plot so much we want to see it happen again or something?

We don’t know why the gods weakened Balthazar, but it seems based on his dialogue that this is so. Otherwise, he would not be proclaiming to be “the only god” when all is said and done. Unless the other gods are already dead, which I find unlikely as that would make him already the only god (unless they were usurped by Dhuum and Menzies or similar beings he is now out to kill).

I hope this won’t be the case.
I can imagine one way of salvaging this – perhaps in a plot twist it is revealed that the other gods are in the wrong for taking Balthazar’s power and we end up teaming up with him? It would be interesting. Although I doubt it.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I cannot see a plot that turns the peace loving Melandru and Dwayna into villains without massively retconning both GW1 and GW2 lore. Even making Lyssa and Grenth seem hard to pull off, though less so.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I get what you’re saying – but at the same time I couldn’t see a plot line that would turn Balthazar away from humanity.
He’s the god that helped them push into Tyria and take it over. He’s the one who helped them defeat the other races and make room for themselves.
It seems absurd to me that they’d make him indifferent to humans. At the very least he should still be asking them to fight for him. That’s what would have made sense.

Him pretending to be Lazarus in order to gain support from White Mantle? Then hiring mercenaries – does that make sense?
What would have made sense ( to me at least) would have been him showing up in Divinity’s Reach and demanding that humanity aid and follow him – and I believe they would.

So yes – they could do anything with the story. They’ve already established the gods are not beyond fail. Perhaps it’s not that the other gods would be malicious – but perhaps they’re being deceived or in some way mistaken.
It could all simply a huge, misunderstanding, that ultimately forces them down this path, neither side willing to admit their mistakes.

This story at least would be somewhat interesting. Currently they’ve taken Balthazar and made him a generic enemy – which to me is sad and boring.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

in Lore

Jaken.6801

I really hope for two things:

• Balthazar is not Balthazar
  • Balthazar is not evil, but misguided. The EDs forced the Gods to leave (or something else, I believe there is a greater evil than the ED’s on the horizon) and they lost their power. Balthazar was actually send to Tyria to save the gods and does so by any means. Even to the point, where he is about tobring the world to an end.

Of course the later one does mean he is evil for us who live on Tyria. However Balthazar is a beeing that trandences the mists. Who knows what he has seen and fears.
We still don’t know why the gods left and why only the war-god came back.

They can still spin it into a story of misinformation and false pride. I really hope they give him some ‘redemption’