Is queen jennah holding back her true power?

in Lore

Posted by: Sephelutis.3480

Sephelutis.3480

Being a champion state herself, a powerful mesmer, and high interlect, she seems holding back and acting as if she is powerless.

Being a mesmer means she can manipulate minds, create illusions, teleportations, confusing oppoent, mass control, invisibility etc, so why can she become abuducted by some mere separationist who properbly doesnt even have any class skills, she might as well just annihilate any opposing political force by mind controling the entire nobles, she seems doesnt like to display her powers often.

in Lore

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

Seperatist could be a necromancer or Grenth worshiper

Isn’t Grenth associated with taking to the world in full view, no illusions?

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Lore

Sephelutis.3480

Seperatist could be a necromancer or Grenth worshiper

Isn’t Grenth associated with taking to the world in full view, no illusions?

even then, jennah’s action doesnt seems to be fitting with what she really is, i mean all those seperationist will properbly die to her chaos field + some phantasms and shattering, not to mention being a champion mesmer she can properbly outright control their minds.

(edited by Sephelutis.3480)

in Lore

Sephelutis.3480

Knowing that Caudecus is her political opponent, im suprised that the queen hasnt mess up his mind yet

in Lore

Posted by: Bard.7215

Bard.7215

By the way, what exactly is Komir goddess of now? It says she’s of Truth and Spirit.. but that means what now?

Sort of like building a sandcastle

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Well, if she did use her powers, wouldn’t that make people afraid of her? If she’s going around manipulating everyone and destroying their minds or w/e, then it’s almost a totalitarian rule, and the common people would become afraid of their once benevolent queen.

in Lore

Sephelutis.3480

But which successful queen in history is without a tyrannal side?

in Lore

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Queen Jennah saves her true powers for the bedroom with Logan, he he he he!

Let’s just say Logan is.. Whipped!

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

When Jennah was hit with the Golem’s transportion beam… I don’t think that mesmer powers would have kept her safe from that.

It seems that, given how the Seperatists were able to capture a norn, a charr, and Queen Jennah with immense ease that the teleporting made them groggy (also remember: they drugged Sigfast, it’s likely they drugged Jennah and Mia too). Remember that Jennah was able to survive simply because she was going full defense.

Maybe, despite being a powerful mesmer, she’s not proficient in offensive mesmeric abilities, but just telepathy, non-offensive illusions, defensive shieldings, and slowing things down. That’s all we see her do after all.

@Sephelutis: Maybe she’s more concerned about being a benevolent ruler than a successful one.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Sephelutis.3480

When Jennah was hit with the Golem’s transportion beam… I don’t think that mesmer powers would have kept her safe from that.

It seems that, given how the Seperatists were able to capture a norn, a charr, and Queen Jennah with immense ease that the teleporting made them groggy (also remember: they drugged Sigfast, it’s likely they drugged Jennah and Mia too). Remember that Jennah was able to survive simply because she was going full defense.

Maybe, despite being a powerful mesmer, she’s not proficient in offensive mesmeric abilities, but just telepathy, non-offensive illusions, defensive shieldings, and slowing things down. That’s all we see her do after all.

@Sephelutis: Maybe she’s more concerned about being a benevolent ruler than a successful one.

i think her character isnt the typical “weak yet rightous princess waiting to be saved by a knight in shining armor” she might act like one, but her character presentation shows she might be far more than that, infact she taken the event quite lightly after might be a hint to show that she have everything under her control, the whole event might just to politically control her opponent at same time send logan away for the greater good.

As for the whole “drugged” thing, she is a queen with outstanding interllect, the moment she step into the mansion she should already know the risks and consequences, but she wasnt afraid or suprised at all.

Surely from lore we know that if you are a mesmer, at very least you will be incredibly good at manipulation of minds and deception.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

first of all, bad rep. your leader is twisting the minds of everyone to suit her needs? that would take her off the throne faster than going on a murder spree. even using it in self defense would look bad. just imagine: “her majesty the queen murders separatist party revolutionaries”. it would essentially be giving political ammo to caudecus to attack her with.

second, who says we don’t see her powers? she creates an invincibility bubble that she apparently could keep on for hours, and nothing could get in or out of it until she wanted to.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Sephelutis.3480

what i dont get is, why cant she just secretly mind control caudecus, shouldnt that get rid of all her trouble?

the fact that writer decided to give queen jennah a mesmer profession (rather than elementlist or any other class) is quite interesting, if she is an elementalist then it would be fine for her to be all defensive and quite pure in personality, but she is a mesmer whos class purpose is deception, manipulation and domination, i think we might discover more from her, she could be more than the ordinary princess.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

what i dont get is, why cant she just secretly mind control caudecus, shouldnt that get rid of all her trouble?

the fact that writer decided to give queen jennah a mesmer profession (rather than elementlist or any other class) is quite interesting, if she is an elementalist then it would be fine for her to be all defensive and quite pure in personality, but she is a mesmer whos class purpose is deception, manipulation and domination, i think we might discover more from her, she could be more than the ordinary princess.

the mesmer is the perfect class for a politician :P plus, a mesmer can be used defensively as well as offensively (as jennah shows in multiple occasions, and as mesmers show everyone all the time in sPvP).

she wouldn’t be able to hold the spell 24/7. eventually she’d falter. and if she didn’t, someone would notice caudecus is under a spell, because magic detection is a thing, and many people are magic-sensitive. making caudecus behave appropriately would take all of her concentration, as she’d spend more time puppeteering him than thinking for herself, and as a result she’d fail as a leader herself.

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

memser and warrior are the default classes for rulers in tyria, imo
I think Salma was also a mesmer, and I don’t recall her using her powers to regain her throne, rather having the shining blade and player character do the work for the most part
and @Bruno, that’s what I was trying to say. if she’s manipulating and killing her enemies, that’ll just create more
if she mind controlled caudecus, that would be suspicious that a known (if only subtely, and not outspoken) opponent to Jennah suddenly gave up fighting her or whatnot

in Lore

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

mesmer mind control spells have limited range and limited duration. I just don’t think it’s possible to “mind control” a whole kingdom into supporting you.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

memser and warrior are the default classes for rulers in tyria, imo
I think Salma was also a mesmer, and I don’t recall her using her powers to regain her throne, rather having the shining blade and player character do the work for the most part
and @Bruno, that’s what I was trying to say. if she’s manipulating and killing her enemies, that’ll just create more
if she mind controlled caudecus, that would be suspicious that a known (if only subtely, and not outspoken) opponent to Jennah suddenly gave up fighting her or whatnot

Salma was a monk. Which I like to attribute her with the “healing” of Kryta.

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

Yeah, I stand corrected on that (she always came off as a mesmer to me)

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

first of all, bad rep. your leader is twisting the minds of everyone to suit her needs? that would take her off the throne faster than going on a murder spree. even using it in self defense would look bad. just imagine: “her majesty the queen murders separatist party revolutionaries”. it would essentially be giving political ammo to caudecus to attack her with.

second, who says we don’t see her powers? she creates an invincibility bubble that she apparently could keep on for hours, and nothing could get in or out of it until she wanted to.

I don’t know about that. A historical king who responded to a kidnapping attempt by slaughtering or otherwise turning the tables on their would-be kidnappers would be celebrated, not condemned, and since Tyria seems to have gender equality (at least among the playable factions) the same should apply to queens.

Given her display in EoD, though, it seems likely that she is holding back in Caudecus Manor. Considering how deftly she politically manipulated all concerned afterwards, it could well be a case that she was never really in danger, but she saw more to gain by allowing a rescue attempt to succeed. Alternatively, as suggested above, it could be that she was too disoriented by the method of her kidnapping to tap into her full powers.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

^ king or queen, self defense or not, killing someone looks bad on your resume.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

In which case the resumes of our PCs have to look abysmal.

Krytan culture is still pretty close to time periods where kings leading armies into battle was still the expected thing. In times of trouble, your leader responding to an assassination attempt by wiping the floor with the would-be assassins would be regarded as a good thing.

Even today, to an extent – if a national leader today was attacked by confirmed terrorists and played an active role in fighting them off, unless suspicions arise that the event was staged, do you really think that’s going to make their popularity go down?

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Indeed, in medieval eras, a powerful king (physically and tacticiously) was a good king – so long as they weren’t tyrans like Oswald Thorn. Why? It made the kingdom safe and powerful in turn.

However, killing kidnappers (or invading armies) is one thing, but mind controlling the governmental body is another. And Jennah’s repeated stated to be a queen who’s goal is peace, not more conflict. That’s her political stance, more or less.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Perhaps there was more to be gained by capturing Caudecus and perhaps learning more about those others within the Ministry that mean Queen Jennah harm than there was in killing him and ending just 1 possible threat on her life. And I would agree, mind-control would be seen by anyone as an unethical invasion of privacy. It would be reacted to more likely no less than say Verata’s capture/kill/experimentation on Ascalonians in GW1. It is just plain wrong.

in Lore

Posted by: Vahkris.6847

Vahkris.6847

I very much doubt she was in any real danger from being captured by separatists during the dungeon. At the end they can’t even touch her, and I’m pretty sure she could do that for hours if she felt like it. I don’t think she was in any way worried. More likely she wanted to wait and figure out where this whole thing went, and when you arrive with Logan, she instead takes the route of keeping an eye on Caudecus.

I think she’s taking the more subtle route. Being overly aggressive against a calculating enemy will only drive them further underground and out of your sight.

in Lore

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

I agree. Jennah is holding back. She probably could have slaughtered all the separatists, and perhaps the residents of Tyria would be happy about it.

But what about Ebonhawke?

It strikes me that much of Ebonhawke is sympathetic to the separatist cause, but think they are misguided or feel that coming under the rule of a krytan queen and making peace with the Charr is just an unfortunate necessity for their continued survival.

Then that krytan queen slaughters a house full of separatists(Ebonhawke citizens as the separatists could spin it) by herself at a party. That’s going to put a strain on public opinion in the Ebonhawke area. Might even get a large chunk of the population on the fence to side more openly with the separatists.

After all the only ones who would know exactly how it all went down is a charr, a high ranking Krytan official, a high ranking Seraph, a drunk norn, and 6 adventurers counting Zouja that at best, are humans from kryta.

(edited by Greiger.7092)