Is the 'Orb' at Fort Trinity a DSD egg?

in Lore

Posted by: trub.1657

trub.1657

Q:

Hello again my wonderful Lore Gurus!
As the title asks, Is this magical orb a possible DSD egg?
I was browsing the sub reddit and there were many theories about this thing…
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/59esfm/on_elder_dragon_corruption_blue_orb/
“It’s a dragon egg!- It’s a form of corruption from the DSD!- The Largos are DSD minions!” “They (Largos) aren’t touched by Dragon corruption as known: undeath, plants, ice, ect. . they must be DSD minions!”
“There are tendrils of corruption slowly expanding from it.”
“Abaddon lives!”
I humbly ask your insight on these possibilities.
Thank you!

I have Splinter Barrage- I am a Ritualist.
I have a pet- I am a Ranger.
I have Avatar of Balthazar- I am a Dervish.

(edited by trub.1657)

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The largos are unlikely to have anything to do with the DSD. They’re an old race based on quaggan interaction. Their lack of being corrupted is no different from the lack of dredge, skritt, centaur, harpy, wurm, grawl, jotun, bat, imp, etc. corrupted variants. It’s just that ArenaNet hasn’t bothered with designing that many dragon minions.

Plus we know that “corruption immunity” doesn’t necessarily mean “dragon minion” – aside from the argument that “dragon minions are immune to other dragons’ corruption” is a flawed and unproven argument that is taken widely as fact, there are multiple cases of things fully unrelated to Elder Dragons that are immune to corruption (stone dwarves, exalted, Forgotten magic, Foefire ghosts, to name the most immediate).

As to the Blue Orb tied to the DSD, highly possible. They gave enough hints – artifact from the ocean depths that has “consequences of its own” is enough of such in of itself. The fact it prevents creation of more risen is not outright reason enough to tie it to the DSD (one has to argue the belief that the Elder Dragons avoid each others’ territories and that the Blue Orb’s presence is marking the immediate area as the DSD’s territory, not that the Blue Orb is actually capable of preventing corruption – or if one argues such, they must also prove the unproven “dragon corruption is immune to other dragons’ corruption” which is pretty much debunked by CoE).

However, the orb being a dragon egg? Highly unlikely. No Elder Dragon has shown interest in procreation – only Glint has, and she has a reason to: she knew she would be killed by Kralkatorrik, but wanted to end the threat of the Elder Dragons without destroying Tyria by unchecked magic. The Elder Dragons has such reasons for such, and as such any creation they’d make would likely be in the form of dragon minions, not offspring.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

In terms of CoE situation I see it come up a few times and I am a bit sketchy on the reasonings behind it. The CoE creature seemed like a situation where the Inquest had forced the energies together to make a multi-corrupted being. Therefore it would be seem to be possible that the corruptions would “in the natural state” being immune to each other without the Inquest forcing things with unusual methods.

Can someone clarify the situation re: CoE and the dragon immunity issue? I am happy concede to being wrong with explanation – it has been a long while since I last did CoE

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Therefore it would be seem to be possible that the corruptions would “in the natural state” being immune to each other without the Inquest forcing things with unusual methods.

The stressed part is the assumption that’s causing your confusion. The disagreement just boils down to whether you think what the Inquest did and what the dragons do are different, and if so, whether you think the Inquest were doing something the dragons aren’t capable of. We have very little details on how dragons corrupt, and no details on how the Inquest corrupted, so it’s a pretty vague spot right now without much evidence that can be laid out into the form of an argument.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

LS3 SPOILERS AHEAD=========

I think it is not that safe to assume the orb is tied to the DSD, given the Krait
found it lying around the depths and it wards against Zhaitan’s death spectrum. While we can argue that DSD’s magic would ward against Zhaitan, we already know for a fact (as per Taimi) something else that would be able to do it, which is the Chak and their death magic filtering organ. So it might be an artifact made for that specific purpose during a previous dragonrise, or even a petrified organ of some ancient creature that consumed leylines like both the Elder Dragons and the Chak.

Furthermore, this Elder Dragon in particular is purposefully shrouded in mystery and what little information we do have on it is either second hand or unreliable just because; I think Anet is going to play it out different from what they did to Mordremoth (Sylvari were dragon minions from their very conception and CoE already hinted at him) or any of the others, and it might be the case that they simply gave no hints at all whatsoever, and we must wait for some kind of Abbadon-ish “Ha It was me this whole time doing X and Y!” or something of sorts. I just hope this game lasts long enough for something to be done about it, because an Elder Dragon is not something you put there just for the sake of mystery like the Wizard Tower, and even this season (the Ring of Fire is literally the unending ocean’s doorstep!) should definitely have the DSD involved.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The CoE creature seemed like a situation where the Inquest had forced the energies together to make a multi-corrupted being. Therefore it would be seem to be possible that the corruptions would “in the natural state” being immune to each other without the Inquest forcing things with unusual methods.

You are presuming that the Elder Dragons are incapable of “forcing the energies together” and that the Inquest are capable of doing more with the Elder Dragons’ own personal energies than the Elder Dragons themselves.

Which is the common assumption made by those who argue that CoE doesn’t disprove their “fact”. They’re making the argument that the Inquest are altering the dragon energies in such a way that the energies are not the same as what the Elder Dragons use, but there is zero evidence of this, and what we’re told is literally “the Inquest are exposing subjects to various/multiple dragon energies”.

I’ve often seen what the Inquest do as compared to stem cell research and splicing, but it’s far from that because the Inquest aren’t altering the energies by any indication, and if that were that would be negating the entire purpose of the experimentations and studies: trying to control regular dragon minions.

I think it is not that safe to assume the orb is tied to the DSD, given the Krait
found it lying around the depths and it wards against Zhaitan’s death spectrum.

I agree that it isn’t absolute, I would just say it’s very likely.

But it wasn’t so much that it was found “lying around the depths”. Sayeh mentions that it is a “thing of legend” and has its own consequences during Wet Work, while dialogue during Striking Off the Chains makes it sound like the krait only recently discovered the orb themselves (or maybe recovered, since they were forced out of their homeland by the DSD).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

and what we’re told is literally “the Inquest are exposing subjects to various/multiple dragon energies”.

Did my research this time, so I’m a bit more prepared. They don’t just say “dragon energies”, they say concentrated dragon energies, which means it is at an intensity not normally found out in the world. It’s a bit like the difference between laser pointer and a laser beam; one has a lot more effect than the other.

Another thing seen in the Crucible is a fleshy creature turn into a destroyer. From everything I’ve heard, destroyers are made from the molten rock itself, not corrupted life. If that can happen, isn’t it at least slightly possible that the Inquest can make corrupted dragon creatures that not even the dragons themselves could?

in Lore

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

I read info about blue zone – 1 its underconstruction 2 its useless for specimen that intended to bring here. They say about hologram of it< would see it in future.

If hub was under construction becouse too small does that mean trial in tarir also was too small for dsd minion?

If blue zone was under construction does really subject have dsd injected? or portion is too small so we don’t see effects? or try connect spewing essence to dsd power. They are food so first though water; food chain.

Where minions in city of hope are held? is there maybe bigger trial with bigger room for dsd minion? Or were they just magic tricks.

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

I think so. Nothing has been confirmed yet.

in Lore

Posted by: Sock.2785

Sock.2785

On the Blue Orb:

• Regarding the “corrupted tendrils”, I’ve always thought of them as one of the products of the combined magics and technologies of the different races of the Pact, since they can also be found in camps far from Fort Trinity, hence far from the orb (Caer Shadowfain being an example).
  • While we don’t see corrupted largos, we know that a risen largos model was made, just to be subsequently (for whatever reason) used for something else (risen priestess of Dwayna). So, while this doesn’t technically confirm that largos are corruptible by other elder dragons, implying the assumption that they are already corrupted by the DSD is true, at least we know the idea was investigated.
  • While it could be linked to the DSD I doubt it’s a form of corruption from said dragon, as it displays protective effects against dragon corruption (at least we know it works against Zhaitan’s).
  • Abaddon himself is dead.

Personally I think it’s a long lost artifact from a long forgotten race (and with forgotten I don’t mean the Forgotten).

On the CoE discussion:

We have very little details on how dragons corrupt, and no details on how the Inquest corrupted, so it’s a pretty vague spot right now without much evidence that can be laid out into the form of an argument.

Ultimately what Aaron said is true. Anyway, we know that the magic used by every single entity is the same and comes from the same source: the various natural aspects of magic, which are mostly visible flowing through the ley lines. I believe the corruption regards the minds: the more magic one holds, the easier it is to influence (corrupt) others’ minds. Consider Grenth with the Seven Reapers and Abaddon with the margonites: unlike elder dragons, they don’t force their will over beings; they instead reward those who prove loyal and worthy by imbuing (blessing) them with their respective kinds of magic. Elder dragons not only imbue their victims with their kinds of magic, mostly against their will, but force their own will into them, restraining their minds.
In this sense, I could argue that elementals summoned by elementalists are also corrupted by their summoners – elementals’ minds are way inferior to that of the spellcasters who animated them, giving to the latter control over them; on a much grander scale this is what Primordus does: destroyers can be considered elementals, since they are created by shaping elements related to the Fire Dragon’s magic.

My research has found a thread between magic and the mind. The two are linked.
— Snaff

(edited by Sock.2785)

in Lore

trub.1657

Oh my! I had forgotten about the Inquest experiments!
I wonder… Has there been any word ‘recently’ on the Largos? Have they started acting ‘differently’?
Has there been any unusual activity near the blue orb?
I wonder…that the orb can indeed be an ancient artifact created by races un named from the last dragon rise…and the Eye of Janthir could also be one such artifact??
If so, my mind is blown!

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

and what we’re told is literally “the Inquest are exposing subjects to various/multiple dragon energies”.

Did my research this time, so I’m a bit more prepared. They don’t just say “dragon energies”, they say concentrated dragon energies, which means it is at an intensity not normally found out in the world. It’s a bit like the difference between laser pointer and a laser beam; one has a lot more effect than the other.

Another thing seen in the Crucible is a fleshy creature turn into a destroyer. From everything I’ve heard, destroyers are made from the molten rock itself, not corrupted life. If that can happen, isn’t it at least slightly possible that the Inquest can make corrupted dragon creatures that not even the dragons themselves could?

I’d be very surprised if the dragons aren’t capable of “concentrating” their own energies. In fact, I’d wager that’s exactly what’s happening with things like Kralkatorrik’s breath, Svanir corruption rituals, the various crystals of Jormag and Kralkatorrik we have to destroy in certain events, and so on.

The new Destroyers are pretty solid evidence that if a dragon gets hold of another dragon’s energy, it can instil that energy into its own minions. Meanwhile, all evidence indicates sylvari are just as immune to being corrupted by the methods of the Inquest as they are to Zhaitan, Kralkatorrik, and so on.

(Speaking of destroyers, there’s also a creature in the Skritt personal story arc which is speculated by NPCs to have been a pregnant creature that was corrupted into a Destroyer while pregnant. This theory was espoused on the assumption that dragon minions don’t reproduce in a normal fashion, so the “only way” was if a living creature was corrupted while pregnant.

Personally, I have my doubts: that arc is one Konig likes to quote as evidence that dragon minions don’t reproduce, but I’m generally inclined to think that the mentors simply didn’t know as much about dragon minions as they thought. Still, it does indicate that, at least at that point, a living creature being turned into a Destroyer seemed less farfetched than a “regular” destroyer laying eggs.)

Regarding the blue orb… it’s plausible that it’s an egg of some kind connected to the DSD, which soaks up death magic (and possibly other magic) around it to feed whatever’s incubating inside. However, this is getting into ‘can’t prove a negative’ territory – it’s possible to come up with scenarios in which the blue orb is an egg, but they’re pretty convoluted, and there are plenty of other scenarios where it isn’t an egg too. We just don’t know enough to say.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

trub.1657

It looks like a pearl…a beautiful pearl.
Poor corrupted clam? (cries)

in Lore

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

I’d be very surprised if the dragons aren’t capable of “concentrating” their own energies. In fact, I’d wager that’s exactly what’s happening with things like Kralkatorrik’s breath, Svanir corruption rituals, the various crystals of Jormag and Kralkatorrik we have to destroy in certain events, and so on.

The new Destroyers are pretty solid evidence that if a dragon gets hold of another dragon’s energy, it can instil that energy into its own minions. Meanwhile, all evidence indicates sylvari are just as immune to being corrupted by the methods of the Inquest as they are to Zhaitan, Kralkatorrik, and so on.

I’m not sure that the Dragons are getting ahold of the other dragon’s energy, so much as they are getting part of the pool of raw energy that the other dragon used to get (could be a semantics issue). Meaning, the new Destroyers have “Death” and “Nature” energies, not “Zhaitan” and “Mordremoth” energies. The energy is just a basic part of nature, the corruption is more of an organism that is attuned to a particular spectrum. Primordus will might create planty Destroyers, but he won’t make fiery Mordrem.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You are now saying the Elder Dragons are unable to give a concentrated corruption. But the personal story proves you wrong:

Trahearne: The dragon must have distilled its essence. Pure necrotic power, in concentrated form.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ossuary_of_Unquiet_Dead

Using concentrated corruption is exactly what Zhaitan does at his “minion factories”.

Ultimately, I think all that it means by “concentrated dragon energy” is just “pure corruption with little else”. And I’d say that most, if not all, corruption done by the Elder Dragon itself would be considered such.

I’m not sure that the Dragons are getting ahold of the other dragon’s energy, so much as they are getting part of the pool of raw energy that the other dragon used to get (could be a semantics issue). Meaning, the new Destroyers have “Death” and “Nature” energies, not “Zhaitan” and “Mordremoth” energies. The energy is just a basic part of nature, the corruption is more of an organism that is attuned to a particular spectrum. Primordus will might create planty Destroyers, but he won’t make fiery Mordrem.

This becomes a tricky subject that begs a question we don’t know the answer to:

Is dragon corruption unique to the dragon or to “part of the magical spectrum”. Would death corruption done by Zhaitan result the same as death corruption done by Primordus without influence of plant or fire?

Tiami’s dialogue would imply yes, but I’m not so sure much of what she says in that moment is accurate (see my argument about Mordremoth using death magic elsewhere).

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)