Is this a dragon?

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

This is taken from just outside Quarrel Falls. There is a third set of scales/spines further down the road to the left that I couldn’t fit in the same screenshot.

I’m wondering if it could be a dragon champion sleeping under the hill/mountain; or maybe even an elder dragon. The scales have a chitinous shell-like appearance. Maybe this dragon has some insect characteristics and can burrow underground?

Attachments:

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Guild Wars 1 longing sigh

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Psynch.4087

Psynch.4087

I wanted to learn some more so I looked up play throughs of the area. Here’s a cued up video with a little more exploration of the area:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMlOpAkwgA0&t=10m3s

I’ll still like to see some more though!

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Those honestly appear to be cocoons – there’s a lot of web-like substances between the various “plates”

And the chances are no, not Elder Dragon related because they’ve been about since Prophecies which predates the Elder Dragons’ existence in lore/developer minds by well over 3 years. The concept of the Elder Dragons wasn’t conceived – or at least implemented – until after Nightfall, so anything that’s been around in GW1 since the first three campaigns are only related to the Elder Dragons via retroactive continuity such as the matter with Glint. And they only tied Glint (and the ancient races) to the Elder Dragons because Glint is a dragon and the Elder Dragons are ancient like the ancient races (though moreso).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I don’t think that’s a dragon!

If you have completed Eye of the North, Primordus will be wake up and he was the first of the Elder Dragons to awaken in Tyria. He’s a destroyer Dragon.
Also… this is so confusing.. I thought Primordus would be in GW2 since the EotN gave us a hint at the ending that the first Elder Dragon awaken up, but yet he’s not in GW2??

You can also see:
Jormag sleeping in the sea in Far Shiverpeaks. – He’s in GW2.
Kralkatorrik can be found sleeping in the Charr Homelands. – But he’s not also in GW2?!
Zhaitan is also a Elder Dragon.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

(edited by Alga.6498)

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

Those honestly appear to be cocoons – there’s a lot of web-like substances between the various “plates”

And the chances are no, not Elder Dragon related because they’ve been about since Prophecies which predates the Elder Dragons’ existence in lore/developer minds by well over 3 years. The concept of the Elder Dragons wasn’t conceived – or at least implemented – until after Nightfall, so anything that’s been around in GW1 since the first three campaigns are only related to the Elder Dragons via retroactive continuity such as the matter with Glint. And they only tied Glint (and the ancient races) to the Elder Dragons because Glint is a dragon and the Elder Dragons are ancient like the ancient races (though moreso).

it could be that they saw a feature in a previous game and say ‘hey we can use this in lore for our next game’ so the fact that they didnt exist at the time of design doesnt mean that they wont then come back to it

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Ice of Dragons.1637

Ice of Dragons.1637

elder dragons are there since gw1 beta. A black dragon was worshiped by eles in the begining instead of gods. Maybe glint not shure. The story is there whit the facets thou.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

If you have completed Eye of the North, Primordus will be wake up and he was the first of the Elder Dragons to awaken in Tyria. He’s a destroyer Dragon.
Also… this is so confusing.. I thought Primordus would be in GW2 since the EotN gave us a hint at the ending that the first Elder Dragon awaken up, but yet he’s not in GW2??

You can also see:
Kralkatorrik can be found sleeping in the Charr Homelands. – But he’s not also in GW2?!

Jormag is not in Guild Wars 2 – not physically. None of the Elder Dragons except Zhaitan have shown themselves and this is because they’re not close enough to be a true threat yet. Supposedly all Elder Dragons will eventually be featured, though honestly I now wonder if GW2 will even last long enough for such…

it could be that they saw a feature in a previous game and say ‘hey we can use this in lore for our next game’ so the fact that they didnt exist at the time of design doesnt mean that they wont then come back to it

There are quite literally dozens of those web-covered carapaces. And many of them are opened wide – with nothing but the web-like stuff inside. Like I said, they look like cocoons, not dragon hide.

And keep in mind that the Elder Dragons are elemental-based. What element would those be of? Certainly not the only Elder Dragon hinted to hold an influence in the Maguuma Jungle (Mordremoth, the Elder Vegetation/Jungle Dragon).

elder dragons are there since gw1 beta. A black dragon was worshiped by eles in the begining instead of gods. Maybe glint not shure. The story is there whit the facets thou.

Uh… No such story exists. You’re likely thinking of Rotscale – there were only ever two dragons of note in GW Prophecies: Glint and Rotscale. Rotscale wasn’t worshiped though, but was an undead bone dragon animated by the Stone Summit in the Northern Shiverpeaks. Hardly black – nor was Glint, whom simultaneously was not worshiped, least of all by elementalists.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

You can also see:

Jormag is not in Guild Wars 2 – not physically. None of the Elder Dragons except Zhaitan have shown themselves and this is because they’re not close enough to be a true threat yet. Supposedly all Elder Dragons will eventually be featured, though honestly I now wonder if GW2 will even last long enough for such…

Mind telling me what this is then? [picture] Jormag is an elder dragon, and he’s physically in GW2. I don’t really understand what you mean about your answer about Jormag.

Attachments:

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: kyro.8162

kyro.8162

You can also see:

Mind telling me what this is then? [picture] Jormag is an elder dragon, and he’s physically in GW2. I don’t really understand what you mean about your answer about Jormag.

That’s Jormags Champion, not Jormag him/herself.

Sanctum of Rall
New Namek [Kami]
Guardian/Ele/Warrior/Engi/Mes/Necro/Ranger

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You can also see:

sigh That’s the Claw of Jormag – as the image name even tells you in the url. It’s a dragon champion, no different than the Eye of Zhaitan or Mouth of Zhaitan (just, y’know, a dragon) or Tequatl the Sunless; it is not Jormag himself. There’s several Claws of Jormag that’s been harrowing the kodan in their flight south – they are whom you fight in that meta event.

Dear ANet writers,

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Blurk.6231

Blurk.6231

There can only be one champion though. Lately I have been wondering who was the champion of Zhaitan? Is it the Eye of Zhaitan at the source of Orr? Tequatl is often called a lieutenant of Zhaitan and not a champion as fas as I know. For Kralkatorrik its the Shatterer and for Jormag it is supposedly the Claw of Jormag, although I am not sure about it.

Look beyond the obvious…

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Silavor.6257

Silavor.6257

There is no law saying that there can only be one champion. Zhaitan, for example, had numerous champions simultaneously.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

There can only be one champion though. Lately I have been wondering who was the champion of Zhaitan? Is it the Eye of Zhaitan at the source of Orr? Tequatl is often called a lieutenant of Zhaitan and not a champion as fas as I know. For Kralkatorrik its the Shatterer and for Jormag it is supposedly the Claw of Jormag, although I am not sure about it.

Glint was a champion of Kralkatorrik but had her mind freed by the Forgotten and she then prophecised (spelling?) the Flameseeker Prophecies. We don’t know if the Kralkatorrik had multiple champions at the same time of Glint because the champions also “slept” except for Glint who had her mind freed.
(Keep in mind this is speculation as “The Great Destroyer” was the greatest “general” (I assume champion and the first of the champions to awaken possibly so the champions seem to have slept as well) of Primordus that when defeated “stalled” the awakening of Primordus by 142 years).

Only 1 champion of Kralkatorrik holds the name of Shatterer which is then bestowed upon the next dragon after the previous is defeated.

Tequatl is classified as a champion of Zhaitan by the wiki.
Claw of Jormag is indeed a champion of Jormag though.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

(edited by Travis the Terrible.4739)

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Uhh… one champion? In Eye of the North, Jormag had two champions simultaneously: Drakkar and Svanir. In fact, Drakkar made Svanir a champion. Zhaitan has over a dozen champions at once.

A “dragon champion” is simply more akin to a general or lieutenant (Tequatl is indeed a dragon champion, btw – so is Blightghast in the personal story and the two during the Arah story mode; even if Tequatl is called a lieutenant, which The Shatterer is as well, that doesn’t prevent it from being a dragon champion, given that the titles are pretty much meaning the same thing) of the Elder Dragons’ army of minions. They are the more powerful and more intelligent minions – and not necessarily dragons themselves, despite the title. There are many of them at once.

A list of known dragon champions can be found here.

Dear ANet writers,

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Uhh… one champion? In Eye of the North, Jormag had two champions simultaneously: Drakkar and Svanir. In fact, Drakkar made Svanir a champion. Zhaitan has over a dozen champions at once.

A “dragon champion” is simply more akin to a general or lieutenant (Tequatl is indeed a dragon champion, btw – so is Blightghast in the personal story and the two during the Arah story mode; even if Tequatl is called a lieutenant, which The Shatterer is as well, that doesn’t prevent it from being a dragon champion, given that the titles are pretty much meaning the same thing) of the Elder Dragons’ army of minions. They are the more powerful and more intelligent minions – and not necessarily dragons themselves, despite the title. There are many of them at once.

A list of known dragon champions can be found here.

I take it the Risen Priests at the Temples in Orr are champions of Zhaitan as well?

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Emissary Vex.5690

Emissary Vex.5690

I take it the Risen Priests at the Temples in Orr are champions of Zhaitan as well?

No the risen take commands from dragons like Tequatl that attacked claw island.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Could be retconned somewhere in the offices at ANET. Who knows?

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

It really isn’t clear how far the dragon champions extend. Typically a “Dragon Champion” is simply defined as “a dragon minion whom is more intelligent and stronger than other minions, capable of leading them into battle.” By such a definition then yes the temple priests could be dragon champions.

And @Vex: Not all dragon champions are dragons in shape. You can take Morgus Lethe and the Destroyer of Life from Edge of Destiny for that, or Svanir from GW1.

Dear ANet writers,

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Arcanist Fenn at Earthshake Basin is the only NPC I’ve found that specifically lays out the difference. The defining characteristics he lists are A.) superior strength, B.) intelligent killer, as opposed to mindless drone, and C.) the power to corrupt living beings.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Is this a dragon?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I was using an old interview with Jeff and Ree as a foundation – they merely stated stronger, smarter, and “leads or bullies lesser minions” into acting (paraphrased of course).

Dear ANet writers,