It's finally time for Laranthir!

in Lore

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

(random gushing)

He-of-the-wild is probably my favorite sylvari background character in the game probably, and it looks like he’s going to be a major figure in the first HoT map (from the news story).

Now if only he can find love <3

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it’s also proof that not all sylvaris went crazy when the fleet went down, and that there are a good amount of survivors around.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Windsagio.1340

it’s also proof that not all sylvaris went crazy when the fleet went down, and that there are a good amount of survivors around.

Yup. We kind of knew that had to be that way because of the PCs, but it’s good to still have a clear confirmation.

It’s also interesting that while Laranthir of the Wild is a senior pact officer, hes’ not the head. Where, then, is Trahearne?

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

MIA, I’d guess. If I was the writer, I’d keep the VIPs cliffhanging for a little longer than the first encounter of the expansion – this means Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

My guess is that Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge will probably be woven into the story missions for HoT, and as such we won’t really see them out in the open world.

And yeah, while we always knew that some Sylvari won’t fall to Mordremoth’s corruption (first Canach, and now Laranthir), it’s nice to have confirmation of it. Interestingly, both of them are Secondborn. I wonder if the age of a Sylvari has anything to do with increasing resistance to Mordremoth’s call. (Obviously Faolain is a notable exception.)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Assuming, of course, they don’t have better integration of story and open world this time around. It is an issue they’ve known they’ve had, so I’m hopeful that they’ve got something better coming.

As far as age, remember that we’ve also seen Scarlet and, if we’re accepting Nightmare as corruption, Cadeyrn turn, giving actually roughly equal numbers of turned vs. resisted. I think it’s simply a result of the disproportionate story presence first- and secondborn get.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: Silalus.8760

Silalus.8760

My guess is that Trahearne and Destiny’s Edge will probably be woven into the story missions for HoT, and as such we won’t really see them out in the open world.

Or perhaps Trahearne has wandered off into the mists much as our favorite blindfolded Charr has… And will return as the next new class in the next expansion.

Garbed in a tattered headband, Trahearne will return from the mists to smite our enemies…

WITH THE POWER OF INTERPRETIVE DANCE!

Attachments:

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Or perhaps Trahearne has wandered off into the mists much as our favorite blindfolded Charr has… And will return as the next new class in the next expansion.

Garbed in a tattered headband, Trahearne will return from the mists to smite our enemies…

WITH THE POWER OF INTERPRETIVE DANCE!

i’ll just leave this here…

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

I think the Pale Reavers are explicitly called an elite unit during the Orr storyline somewhere. When it comes to Laranthir… I’m a bit sleep-deprived at the moment and I can’t remember where, but I think there are some cases of a character that is in “open-world limbo” but also has a role in the story somewhere.

On corruption and remaining free from it:

Glint deciding from reading minds of the mortal races and deciding that they deserved to live more than Kralkatorrik deserved to have them for a light repast was actually the FIRST explanation we had of how Glint turned. This is part of where the initial logic behind the “Pale Tree is a dragon champion” theory came from – if a moment of revelation was sufficient to break a champion free, then Ventari’s philosophies could have had the same effect on the Pale Tree. It was later that we found that the forgotten ritual was an additional required component.

What I think actually happens in this regard is that the magic grants the capacity to resist the dragon’s bidding – however, Glint still had to make a conscious decision to abandon Kralkatorrik after the ritual.

In the case of the sylvari – it appears that whatever protection the Pale Tree grants is incomplete. It can be removed, if a sylvari rejects the Dream, or weakened, if the Pale Tree is injured. At this point in time, it’s weak enough that sylvari in proximity to Mordremoth, and who don’t have strong wills, are at risk of being controlled. However, I do think it is more likely that they are actually getting controlled than that they had turned previously and infiltrated the Pact fleet in such numbers.

Either way, it continues to be my interpretation that some additional magic has gone into freeing the Pale Tree – and that, in all the various reagents we put in to make Mawdrey, somewhere in there we found the components to replicate something similar.

in Lore

Windsagio.1340

I keep coming back to this;

“Step lively, soldier. Everyone either contributes to or undermines our success. There is no middle ground.”
Talk more option tango.png Is everything all right? You sound a little sad.
“Not sad, exactly. Just resigned. I’ve often sought love, but never found it. Perhaps one day. Until then, I’ll serve the Vigil as if it were my beloved.”
Talk end option tango.png That’s a nice frame of mind, but I don’t think it will make you any less lonely. Good luck, Laranthir.
Yes, sir.

LaranthirxCarys forever!!

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

The impression I had with Aerin is that he only turned when in the proximity of the jungle, and thus couldn’t have been working alone. The writing was essentially a case of a madman writing down what the voices told him…

Of the two, my money would be on the Forgotten: they’re the ones that have the track record of being able to cleanse things.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If this ends up being a corrupted sylvari, I would not be too terribly disappointed with the drastic differences between sylvari and mordrem (or other dragon minions). Reminds me of Kekai’s early “evil sylvari” concept art.

But then it would lead me to wonder about the change in comparison to Wynne’s words.

On an aside: if they kill off Carys… -shakes fist-

Attachments:

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

i’m not entirely sold on corrupted sylvari actually turning into something else. maybe that’s what sylvaris would look like if they hadn’t been “tampered with” (for the lack of a better term), but scarlet was corrupted for a looooong time and didn’t experience visible change, so i don’t buy that the sylvari can turn into those “primal sylvari”

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

so going by the stream, that guy is currently called a “mordrem court crusher”. there’s also a bowman variant called a “mordrem guard sniper”.

in Lore

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I’m glad Laranthir is ok…but how is he ok? How are any of the others with him ok? And the way they phrase “most of the sylvari have heard the call of the dragon and answered” seems to imply they willingly joined with him, though I doubt that’s the case.

I suppose it could be a matter of willpower as the Pale Tree said, but that also feels like a cop-out way to explain how some sylvari are just fine while others aren’t…I mean, the other sylvari on the ship were also going to fight Mordremoth, risking their lives as well. That takes willpower, no? I can see Ceara and Aerin getting taken over easily, but not people willing to go fight against the dragon directly.

Also, I really hope they don’t kill off/corrupt Carys. She doesn’t deserve to be in this mess at all.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

It’s not really clear, but it is said that Glaust/Glint retained her crystalling appearance.

Regarding sylvari, though, it has been stated that the appearance of sylvari can change according to their mental state (see: Canach). So those wooden soldiers could be reflective of having lost their individuality and becoming soldiers of Mordremoth – it’s not corruption per se, it’s a natural physiological response of the sylvari that’s reacting to their changed outlook.

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I suppose it could be a matter of willpower as the Pale Tree said, but that also feels like a cop-out way to explain how some sylvari are just fine while others aren’t…I mean, the other sylvari on the ship were also going to fight Mordremoth, risking their lives as well. That takes willpower, no? I can see Ceara and Aerin getting taken over easily, but not people willing to go fight against the dragon directly.

Willpower is a strange thing. Some people turn into worshipping/cursing invisible fathers in the sky when they face a great moral dilemma or a personal tragedy. Some people just rough through it and face it with more logical conclusions.

I’d say the Sylvari that “turned” just broke under the stress. It’s one thing to board an airship and go to fight the dragon, and another to be actually attacked by one and seeing your whole fleet being decimated.

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

I realize this thread is more than a week old but where did you see this ? Is there a link somewhere ? I’m curious

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

I realize this thread is more than a week old but where did you see this ? Is there a link somewhere ? I’m curious

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/journey-into-the-heart-of-maguuma-in-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns/