Just got a terrible feeling about Scarlet...

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

So you know that the “Destiny’s Edge 2.0” has been sort of forming already, with Rox and Braham (and perhaps Lady Kasmeer), and that there is speculation who could fill in the positions of the Asura and Sylvari in that group.

What if the Sylvari will be Scarlet? What if we won’t get to kill her, but instead we somehow get her back into her senses and she joins the battle against the Elder Dragons.

Could you ever forgive her (either because her Villain Sueism or her ingame deeds) to confront the Elder Dragons with?

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I doubt this is going to happen, but I do have a gut feeling that Scarlet is not the mastermind behind all of this. Considering she has such an issue with “not belonging in any group or predetermined fate”, it would be so cliché to make her turn out to be the puppet she desperately tries not to be.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I never understood where people get the “Destiny’s Edge 2.0” from. Even more so, since we have barely used the regular DE for all that much ingame so far. They only just reunited at the very end of the PS.

Anet is just adding support characters to the LS, and the Charr and Norn ones happen to be friends. That’s all we’ve seen so far. If there is ever a LS where they all play a big part in, where they all group and help one another, then I’ll start believing they are making another super guild to suck up all the story with.

As for Scarlet being a part of it? No. They have already labeled her as the LS antagonist. She kills without mercy, has no empathy for anyone, and she is running an allied multi-national army that she uses to hostilely invade regions with.

Just no.

They would have better luck on expanding Canach’s story and motives, or just adding a new character altogether.

(edited by Erukk.1408)

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

I never understood where people get the “Destiny’s Edge 2.0” from. Even more so, since we have barely used the regular DE for all that much ingame so far. They only just reunited at the very end of the PS.

Erm… they only were the centerpoint of all the Dungeon Story Modes… Not to mention a member of them was there for you in Personal Story levels 1-10.

Yeah they were separated until Arah story, but doesn’t mean they can’t do the 2.0 already

One – Piken Square

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

The theory of DE 2.0 is that the races are all represented and gender swapped, hence Braham/Rox, maybe Kiel (or Kasmeer, although she’s not as prominent). If they had a Sylvari, my bet would go towards Canach rather than Scarlet. Asura is still up in the air, IF Anet is really planning some sort of mirror group

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Well now we’re getting into the personality of Sylvari again, which is debated enough in the racial subforums >.>

in Lore

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

Destiny’s Edge 2.0’s Sylvari is Trahearne. Kralkatorrik kills Trahearne.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

We are more likely to get Marjory Delaqua as a partner in the future. You know, someone with a brain. :P

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Could you ever forgive her (either because her Villain Sueism or her ingame deeds) to confront the Elder Dragons with?

No. Not only can I not forgive her, I cannot forgive the devs for developing (if you can call it that) such a horrible character. She’s a pathetic psychopathic sociopath. There are no redeeming qualities to her, socially or otherwise. She’s a complete Mary Sue “mastermind” willing to slaughter her allies and enemies, claiming to have a plan and a desire not to be a puppet to external forces, and yet it is so completely clear that she isn’t the actual brains at the top that if she was any more stubborn about it, they should have just painted on her chest “I’M A DIVERSION FROM THE REAL VILLAIN!” If she NEVER makes an appearance in GW2 again, I’ll be happy, but given how my life works, I doubt I could be so lucky. She’s revolting. The person who submitted her as part of the Living Story should be fired. The person who APPROVED her should be shot.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’ve got a few things to say on the topics of this thread…

First, at the notion of Scarlet becoming a good guy – this was actually asked in the TowerTalk interview about her and the Jubilee. On cellphone so no link atm but there’s one to it on Scarlet’s wiki page. Anyways, the question was roughly asking that since Scarlet is like a lot of the whiney playerbase, is it possible players begin relating to her leading to her becoming a good guy. Scott replied with saying that’s an interesting observation and effectively saying “there are no intentions to go that way, but thongs in the future may change.”

On the DE 2.0 – if they were gonna do that, we would’ve seen Rox and or Braham meeting the human at Jubilee. Would have been too perfect to skip.

But on the notion of NPCs in the LS that mirror DE…

• Rytlock – Blood Legion, distanced from warband, killed his legionaire and rose to Tribune
    • Rox – Blood Legion, lost warband, trying to get into Rytlock’s warband
  • Eir – lost father to icebrood
    • Braham – son of Eir, lost father as well
  • Logan – former mercenary, rose to prominence
    • Marjory – former guard, hired by Logan, now a freelance detective (kind of reverse of Logan)
    • Kiel – stalwart soldier from day 1 (unlike Logan), took position in council held by Logan’s friend
  • Caithe – firstborn, lover fell to Nightmare, misguided in how to reunite DE
    • Canach – secondborn, fell from Consortium favor and is now a misguided attempting hero
  • Zojja – lost former master
    • …. Moto?
Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Canach is the most likely Sylvari. The identikit asura scientist who made us run about for parts during the Queen’s Jubilee is the most likely asura adventurer so far. Kiel is almost certain to be the lead human character because she has the airship and she’s been leading all the story so far that doesn’t involve Braham and Rox.

I think I would be a bad mistake to create a Destiny’s Edge II though as all the old problems will resurface with the players getting jealous of other character’s story advancement. This is absolutely going to a problem if the players never get any story development for their own characters within the Living Story. With any luck there will be returning characters within the living story that develop personalities and drive the plot, but they don’t all need to be there doing the player character’s job (adventuring and dungeoneering), doing it worse, and getting their stories advanced instead of the player’s.

I don’t think we need to worry about Scarlet not being a villain though. There are a distinct shortage of named villains within the Living Story. I almost entirely missed the in game story about Canach and I’m guessing many others did too. Mai Lin is in jail. There could be someone fishy amongst Evon, Kasmeer, and co but it is unlikely. That just leaves Scarlet so she has to stay a villain for now. The molten alliance is totally nameless.

How many rangers wanted to shoot at Scarlet during the Queen’s Speech, only to have watch Rox do it instead?

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’d say that the asura who worked with Kiel on the karka issue is just as likely to be related to future LS as Vorpp.

But I would honestly enjoy Canach becoming an ally we fight with. His story is already set up to being an anti-hero. He fought the Molten Alliance so he may have ran into Braham and Rox even though we didn’t then. He would make a perfect anti-hero for the GW2 story. If done right. He sees himself as a hero of the people, but he goes a little too far (at least when Consortium is involved) and doesn’t really think about how his actions affect the people, making him a conflicted character through his actions if nothing else.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’ve got a few things to say on the topics of this thread…

First, at the notion of Scarlet becoming a good guy – this was actually asked in the TowerTalk interview about her and the Jubilee. On cellphone so no link atm but there’s one to it on Scarlet’s wiki page. Anyways, the question was roughly asking that since Scarlet is like a lot of the whiney playerbase, is it possible players begin relating to her leading to her becoming a good guy. Scott replied with saying that’s an interesting observation and effectively saying “there are no intentions to go that way, but thongs in the future may change.”

On the DE 2.0 – if they were gonna do that, we would’ve seen Rox and or Braham meeting the human at Jubilee. Would have been too perfect to skip.

But on the notion of NPCs in the LS that mirror DE…

• Rytlock – Blood Legion, distanced from warband, killed his legionaire and rose to Tribune
    • Rox – Blood Legion, lost warband, trying to get into Rytlock’s warband
  • Eir – lost father to icebrood
    • Braham – son of Eir, lost father as well
  • Logan – former mercenary, rose to prominence
    • Marjory – former guard, hired by Logan, now a freelance detective (kind of reverse of Logan)
    • Kiel – stalwart soldier from day 1 (unlike Logan), took position in council held by Logan’s friend
  • Caithe – firstborn, lover fell to Nightmare, misguided in how to reunite DE
    • Canach – secondborn, fell from Consortium favor and is now a misguided attempting hero
    • …. Moto?

Konig, you have intresting tastes 0:

I ? Karkas.

in Lore

Posted by: Gabby.3205

Gabby.3205

But I would honestly enjoy Canach becoming an ally we fight with. His story is already set up to being an anti-hero. He fought the Molten Alliance so he may have ran into Braham and Rox even though we didn’t then. He would make a perfect anti-hero for the GW2 story. If done right. He sees himself as a hero of the people, but he goes a little too far (at least when Consortium is involved) and doesn’t really think about how his actions affect the people, making him a conflicted character through his actions if nothing else.

It makes sense, though he does not have an unique appearance like Braham and Rox. Both Canach’s old and new looks are available to any player on the Character Creator. But hey, his looks were completely changed once, they can change again, right? (Maybe to something unique this time)

Tarnished Coast
Astrid Strongheart, Norn Ranger.
“I wish juvenile wolves were bigger”

in Lore

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Scott replied with saying that’s an interesting observation and effectively saying “there are no intentions to go that way, but thongs in the future may change.”

Yay! New armor!

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig, you have intresting tastes 0:

Er…

What?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Scarlet: “I shall be good and sweet and nice from now on!”

Scarlet: “Just kidding!” -murders Braham, Rox et al and absconds with all the loot-

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I hoping for something like this as well. It would be a tough sell to the players, bringing him back, with the job they did in SoS. Not them mention, in the LS, they would have to get him out of prison, LA’s dungeons, or wherever he’s at first. That would either take him escaping, by himself or with help, or him getting a pardon by the Lionsguard or Captain’s Council for whatever reason.

Though, the thought of Kiel having to release him is a fun thought. They are both in the need for some character development, and they could be a good foil for one another if written right. They both want the same thing, to protect the weak/innocent, but they have different views on how to achieve that.

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

In the Wartower interview Scott said he thinks Scarlet is too fargone to become a hero. He said the heroes might find a way to pitt her against another threat, causing her to help, but a redemption story is unlikely. This was in response to a question about Scarlet becoming too popular (lolololololololol).

I think Canach is more in line for a redemption arch. His methods were wrong but his intentions were right. Even if there was a bitter jealousy element to his actions, he was trying solve the settler/Consortium contract issues.

Not even Azula (the character Scarlet’s voice actress also played, also very similair to Scarlet) had a redemption arch and she was the sister of a main character in a cartoon aimed at kids, I doubt Scarlet will get one.

Canach fits that classic antihero redemption plot. He also has a leg up on a lot of characters in that this gives him flaws (which are more interesting that Anise being perfect, Jennah being perfect, Kiel being perfect, Scarlet being perfect – for a villain). Flawed characters make for better stories than ones that always make the right decisions and always have good intentions and never do anything wrong.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I hoping for something like this as well. It would be a tough sell to the players, bringing him back, with the job they did in SoS. Not them mention, in the LS, they would have to get him out of prison, LA’s dungeons, or wherever he’s at first. That would either take him escaping, by himself or with help, or him getting a pardon by the Lionsguard or Captain’s Council for whatever reason.

Though, the thought of Kiel having to release him is a fun thought. They are both in the need for some character development, and they could be a good foil for one another if written right. They both want the same thing, to protect the weak/innocent, but they have different views on how to achieve that.

I can see it now…

The Consortium, ever money-grubbing corporation that they are, are once again trying to take advantage of people, tricking them into giving the Consortium a profit. Kiel, having dealt with the Consortium, doesn’t like this but needs an expert in the Consortium field – Canach will do, he hates the Consortium, and if he’s watched he can prove an ally (after all, he solo’d a MF dungeon). With solving the problem, he’s given a pardon-with-ties – he’s free to go, but never to mess with Consortium affairs without Lionguard (aka Kiel’s) aid and overseerment, as he has only been seen to be out of line when it comes to the Consortium (he made no problems for the refugees during F&F that we’ve heard about).

@Shien: I wouldn’t consider Scarlet perfect. The short story and in-game she does seem to be portrayed as such, and she does lack a decent number of flaws, but the interview introduced a flaw: she is wrong. She didn’t see the Eternal Alchemy like she thought, and she has a superiority complex because of this misconception. That’s a character flaw, even if it isn’t a big one. So she’s just shy of perfect (which isn’t good, but I like arguing semantics from time to time).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

To also be fair, that interview did pull back from how overachieving she seemed to be in the story. She didn’t actually graduate from all four courses, she just did the first year courses, got bored, and dropped out (staying a little longer with Synergetics).

That said, I’d have to say I’m wondering what happened to the “wider, not deeper” idea of story design that the devs were talking about in development. So far, every LS part except SAB and Tequatl Rising – and I don’t think they really count, being a side event and primarily a mechanics update respectively – has involved Scarlet, either through her direct machinations (F&F, DB, QJ, the upcoming Twilight Assault update) or dealing with a situation she caused (SoS, the election). I’m really hoping that sometime soon she’ll be forced to withdraw and lick her wounds for a bit and we can have something else come up… and I don’t just mean Halloween and Wintersday.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Kestin.2368

Kestin.2368

• …. Moto?
  • Zojja – lost former master, zealously guards his work, made a name for herself as an individual, still holds a lot of overt bitterness that she unashamedly takes out on others
    • Moto – lost former krewe, steals/expands on their work, made a name for himself as an individual, still holds a lot of subconscious bitterness that he unintentionally(?) takes out on others
Lore fanatic, achievement hound, map completionist, PvEer, filthy casual.

in Lore

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

it would be so cliché to make her turn out to be the puppet she desperately tries not to be.

It would be the perfect poetic justice though.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

in Lore

Posted by: Getefix.9150

Getefix.9150

eeewww not kiel, she should get with trahearne, they both have the reputation of stealing credit, one that they inherited from their god, kormir (wouldnt surprise me if kiel was a follower of the god-stealer)

“Nothing is true, Everything is permitted”

Kiel Replacement Movement