Killeen and the Secluded Glen *Spoilers*

in Lore

Posted by: zoozebra.7320

zoozebra.7320

Hey everyone, I don’t post often if at all but something has occurred to me today. I was thinking about the novel Guild Wars: Ghost of Ascalon and I remembered that Killeen died in the Dragonbrand, and in Guild Wars 2 we are able to go to where she is buried, a place called the Secluded Glen.
This got me thinking, it is in the Dragonbrand but it is all life like and full of plants, with seed turrets attacking any Branded trying to run inside. Killeen is a Sylvari, and as the recent Living Story episode has shown us the Sylvari belong to Mordremoth. So Killeen was buried in the Dragonbrand, and has created a plant area that is fighting against Kralkatorrik and his corruption. What does this mean?
Is this area being ‘corrupted’ or transformed by Mordremoth’s corruption? Is this showing that Mordremoth has a stronger corruption than Kralkatorrik? Or is it saying Elder Dragons can override each others corruption? It also shows that if the seed turrets are Mordremoths or at least made by him then do EDs minions naturally hate each other?

I just wanted to share this with other Guild Wars 2 lore lovers and theorist.

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

Killeen’s grave is actually on an off-shoot on the Brand, not on the Brand itself. If they had tried to bury her while still in the Brand, all the branded creatures would try to kill the party. So if it’s corrupting anything, it’s only corrupting formerly pure land.

It is a bit strange how powerful her death is relative to many other sylvari deaths we’ve seen. No idea how she could grow a tree, and call animals to lurk around her, how the seed turrets protect her grave. Maybe those came afterwards, by other sylvari paying respects to a sister?

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Im not entirely certain that the Secluded Glen is in the Dragonbrand. Its the most north-western point of the map. If you look at the path of the Dragonbrand, its not a straight north-to-south line, it sways slightly to the west (conveniently enough, since if Kralkatorrik just kept to his straight line, much more of Ebonhawke would have been effected.)

So the Secluded Glen could just be the closest green spot where they burried Killeen instead of in the Dragonbrand. Would make much more sense, had i had a sylvari to burry who saved my hide, i would at least let her rest not in a barren crystallized wasteland.

As for the seed turrets, i dont think Mordremoth goes as far as to directly decide what seed turrets and plant mortars attack. But to be perfectly honest, we have no idea what actually decides what they attack, lorewise. It is certainly true though, that given that sylvari were meant to be Mordremoth’s agents and that they were meant to purify Orr from the risen dragon, and how abundant overgrowth is the polar opposite of undeath in the All, it is quite fair to assume that there can be conflict between elder dragons.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

kileen was never actually corrupted though. and it’s not because there are plants that it’s mordremoth’s corruption. mordy’s corruption has a very distinct theme: spiky vines and tendrils. kileen’s little grove on the other hand is just pretty trees and bunnies frolicking.

whatever caused it, it’s not dragon corruption, but rather the land healing from the brand.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: Mem no Fushia.7604

Mem no Fushia.7604

Btw Treaherne used Cadabolg to clear this land (Orr). 1. What if not only Caith was aware of Mordemoth? 2. What if used Cadabolg to claim this land? 3. Pale Tree claimed “dark” shephre in our vision in Oomad’s device, was that fight against Zhaitan to take “shadow” (Zhaitan dead/shadow) to def/fight back against her creator Mordemoth? for sake of whole race.

in Lore

Posted by: Phoenix Fire.6203

Phoenix Fire.6203

I don’t think this necessarily goes back to Mordy but more back to the Pale Tree. I never read Ghost of Ascalon so I’m not familiar with Killeen, but we have seen other sylvari deaths transform the land (I.E. Fiana and the revered terebith) it’s probably just strong magic. Also, it is worth mentioning that the area is completely free of dragon brand and it would seem that the magic is fighting. The dragon brand.

Plays on Fort Ranik.
Ceara Bramble 80 sylvari engineer.
Freyr Treewalker 80 sylvari ranger.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

If you read/re-read GoA, you’d know that Killeen was buried overlooking the Dragonbrand – outside of it to the northwest. Which is right where Secluded Glen is.

Her grave is not turning back the Dragonbrand – just invasive creatures. But nothing says that it is because of Killeen that those sylvari mortars are there. There is, in fact, a sylvari in the Grove that talks about Killeen (though with lore contradiction – mentions that Killeen is “long-dead” and that he put off going to her grave “for years” despite the fact she died in 1324, when his dialogue would take place in 1325, as it was there since release) and visiting her grave. So we know that other sylvari have been there. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Althair

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: zoozebra.7320

zoozebra.7320

Alright so it seems that I was wrong about the location of the Secluded Glen, oh well there goes that fun idea. Thanks for informing me.

in Lore

Posted by: Phoenix Fire.6203

Phoenix Fire.6203

That may be what it says in the book, but I just went to the area in game and the dragonbrand literally goes right up to the place where her grave is. I looks exactly like it’s keeping back corruption, not saying she was buried in the dragon brand, but in game it certainly gives the appearance that it is keeping back some corruption.

Plays on Fort Ranik.
Ceara Bramble 80 sylvari engineer.
Freyr Treewalker 80 sylvari ranger.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

She was buried on the very edge of the Dragonbrand so… yes, the Dragonbrand would “go right up to the place where her grave is”.

Though it should be noted that some dialogue implies that the Dragonbrand is growing. Not very fast, though. So it’s possible Killeen’s grave is closer to the Brand than it was when made. And may eventually be consumed by it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

With the things we know about Sylvari, that being that their dragon minions, their long term presence does seem to sculpt their environment over time. The grove is filled with all kinds of PLANTS that don’t grow naturally. It could just be an effect of her/her corpse’s radiating/leaking dragon energy.

Like Konig said, at least one other sylvari visited her grave, perhaps they put the turrets there, the Pale Tree, as shown with Wynne is very concerned when any of her children die it seems. I doubt the explanation is overly complicated, but I don’t think it shows anything such that the dragons are passively fighting each other. In fact, the sylvari involved are free of Mordremoth, and since it’s a grave… Mordremoth won’t be taking that Sylvari back.