King Jalis

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

OK we know Revenants can channel king Jalis as one of their Legends, but isn’t Jalis still alive in the depths of Tyria fighting destroyers? How can they channel someone that is still alive and not in the Mists?

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: adormtil.1605

adormtil.1605

gameplay=/=story meaning we have no creativity so we are gonna break the lore and we are gonna go by the rule of cool.

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

OK we know Revenants can channel king Jalis as one of their Legends, but isn’t Jalis still alive in the depths of Tyria fighting destroyers? How can they channel someone that is still alive and not in the Mists?

At the end of ‘Eye of the North’, we, PC, heroes, and dwarfs (including King Jalis) completed our mission and killed the Great Destroyer. The last scene was where all of the above mentioned celebrated our success in the great hall high up in the Shiverpeak. That was 250 years ago.

As to the present in one of our person story or dungeon story, not sure which one, the dredge believed Oden Stonehealer is the last surviving dwarf, and they the dredge wanted to exact revenge on him because Oden is a dwarf. This is becasue the stone summit dwarfs had once long ago enslaved the dredge. However Oden himself was not a stone summit dwarf. In fact Oden on the side of King Jalis fought a civil war against the stone summit dwarfs.

Edit: If I am not mistaken, Oden being a hero of the PC took part in the instance where we exterminated all the last remaining stone summit dwarfs.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

We also have no idea of Jalis ’ fate down there

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I also have a feeling that being turned to stone can be considered being dead. There is of course also the fact that we don’t know if someone needs to be dead in order to be channeled by the Revenant. Not to mention the fact that we do not know if Jalis is still “alive” down there after these 250 years.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Plagiarised.2865

Plagiarised.2865

Two things

1. We do not know if Jalis is still alive.

2. And more importantly, the Mists constitutes the proto-matter of reality. It has everything that is, was or ever will be: the past, present, AND the future. Why couldn’t someone channel the energy of someone from the future, or in this case the present?

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Someone would think that Odgen would know if Jalis is dead or not. I’d love to read about the rest of Jalis story and how he “died”. Maybe we will get some new fractal that will show us what happened to Jalis in the end.

As for channeling living legends if that was true why isn’t there a legend from the present (or the future) available to channel? Why only dead legends (aside from the uncertain Jalis)

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

As for channeling living legends if that was true why isn’t there a legend from the present (or the future) available to channel? Why only dead legends (aside from the uncertain Jalis)

Because they had to choose certain legends? Or should they be able to channel every single legend ever in the whole universe and time of Tyria?

Legends usually end up becoming legends after they had their time in the spotlight after all.
There are historically very few legends that were known as legends during their own time after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

As to the present in one of our person story or dungeon story, not sure which one, the dredge believed Oden Stonehealer is the last surviving dwarf, and they the dredge wanted to exact revenge on him because Oden is a dwarf. This is becasue the stone summit dwarfs had once long ago enslaved the dredge. However Oden himself was not a stone summit dwarf. In fact Oden on the side of King Jalis fought a civil war against the stone summit dwarfs.

Edit: If I am not mistaken, Oden being a hero of the PC took part in the instance where we exterminated all the last remaining stone summit dwarfs.

Odgen stonehealer, in that instance, completely and plainly remarks to the hero (IIRC) that he is the last dwarf ON THE SURFACE. Key words there. On the surface.

Also, Slavers Exile wasn’t the last Stone Summit Dwarves IIRC, just a major holdout. It’s stated that all dwarves went through the rite, willing or not eventually.

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Plagiarised.2865

Plagiarised.2865

That’s simple. Fan service. Get a reaction from Gw1 veterans or add something no one knows.

Plus, why would Odgen tell you directly about Jalis, the king, to some non-dwarf from the surface?

(edited by Plagiarised.2865)

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Two things

2. And more importantly, the Mists constitutes the proto-matter of reality. It has everything that is, was or ever will be: the past, present, AND the future. Why couldn’t someone channel the energy of someone from the future, or in this case the present?

This, folks.

We don’t know if Jalis is alive or dead. And revenants aren’t (necessarily) channeling actual souls but sapient legends from the Mists. The Mists is capable of linking all times and places, and it is capable of creating copies of all times and places. The revenant legends might be souls… but they could be akin to creatures from Fractals, or they can be copies of souls, or they can be disembodied voices and powers. We don’t really know which is the case – we only know that we’re borrowing their powers (with or without their consent) and that they can talk.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Id overlooked the past, present, future mechanic to the mists.

Id love to channel my GW1 self. Impossible in game terms, but would be incredibly cool.

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Id love to channel my GW1 self. Impossible in game terms, but would be incredibly cool.

Not really, “Unknown Hero” Channel the Legendery Hero that defeated the Titans, Shiro, Abbadon and the Great Destroyer to name a few.

Simple. skills would be easy too.

“Gift of true sight” see your opponent for who they really are. Apply (insert number of stacks here) of Vulnerability.

“Titan Smash” Summon a titan to pummel your enemy’s. Unblock able attack that knock down and applies 4 stacks of burning.

“Gaze of Abbadon” apply fear (5s) and torment (4s)

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Not really, “Unknown Hero” Channel the Legendery Hero that defeated the Titans, Shiro, Abbadon and the Great Destroyer to name a few.

“Gift of true sight” see your opponent for who they really are. Apply (insert number of stacks here) of Vulnerability.

“Titan Smash” Summon a titan to pummel your enemy’s. Unblock able attack that knock down and applies 4 stacks of burning.

That would be pretty cool. Although don’t we have a better name that ‘unknown hero’?

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

That would be pretty cool. Although don’t we have a better name that ‘unknown hero’?

It was just a quick name I put in. I planed to change it before I posted, but I had to do something else.

“Hero of Legend” “Slayer of Ancient foes”, “Hero of Old”, “The Ascended Hero”. I could go on.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It was just a quick name I put in. I planed to change it before I posted, but I had to do something else.

“Hero of Legend” “Slayer of Ancient foes”, “Hero of Old”, “The Ascended Hero”. I could go on.

Three possible names, for each campaign.

“The chosen”/“The flameseekers” Prophecies based, skills related to the prophcies campaign and ascension perhaps?
… I got nothing for factions admittedly.
“The sunspear” for nightfall. More group related skills/leader like skills?

King Jalis

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The Flameseeker was Khilbron, not the PCs. In the Flameseeker Prophecies, the “Flameseeker” is the one who manipulates the chosen into opening the Door of Komalie in order to control the “Flame” within (aka Titans) who would then die at the hands of said chosen.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Hrrrmn. If we were going to invoke the GW1 PCs, we can probably manage to pull a significant event from each campaign. Possibly something like:

Divine Fire (Sustained): You are engulfed with the divine fire of Ascension. Adjacent enemies are set on fire and Revealed. (Potentially a stealth hardcounter, but it should be obvious when this is running, and requiring melee range will limit its strength.)

Celestial Summoning: The vestige of St Viktor grants Aegis and Protection to allies, while the vestige of Archemorus smites enemies after a short delay.

Nightfall’s End: Breaks stun. Removes Confusion, Torment and Fear from nearby allies.

Rallying Call: Calls a random spirit to fight alongside you for a short time. (These could be based on Ascalonian ghosts in terms of skills, although the names would be changed and it wouldn’t be possible to summon noncombatant ghosts like Peasants. You could possibly have others based on non-core professions.)

For the healing skill, something that we can all appreciate as being part of the GW1 experience:

“Looking For Monk!” (Shout): A ghostly monk appears to heal you and remove conditions before disappearing. Killing or interrupting the ghostly monk will prevent the heal and condition removal.

Two things

This, folks.

We don’t know if Jalis is alive or dead. And revenants aren’t (necessarily) channeling actual souls but sapient legends from the Mists. The Mists is capable of linking all times and places, and it is capable of creating copies of all times and places. The revenant legends might be souls… but they could be akin to creatures from Fractals, or they can be copies of souls, or they can be disembodied voices and powers. We don’t really know which is the case – we only know that we’re borrowing their powers (with or without their consent) and that they can talk.

I’m not sure we can even say with certainty that they’re sapient and what they do is really talking. What they say could simply kittenoes of things the legend said in life, which might be repeated under certain stimuli.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

King Jalis

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The blog post said that their comments was in response to their power being borrowed, etc. which indicates a real-time realization of what the revenant’s doing with them.

Dear ANet writers,

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

IIRC, after the ritual where Jalis turns all but ogden into stone to battle the great destroyer, there is text or dialogue that mentions once they become stone, their mind slowly deteriorates into that of a sentient being and into just living stone with 1 sole purpose of fighting the hordes of the great destroyer.

so if we assume that once jalis effectively ‘loses his mind’ it is possible that he may dies.

however, we also know that schrodinger placed a cat in a box and the cat is neither alive nor dead.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Heneil Stormcaller.2935

Heneil Stormcaller.2935

Anyway, I really believe that it would have been better if they went along with Droknar than Jalis. Droknar we know that he isn’t alive (even though he appeared at the end of EotN) and is much more legendary than Jalis. Even more so as I still hope that we get to see and fight alongside Jalis when we get to Primordus.

King Jalis

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Droknar isn’t as relevant to the veteran players, though. Every revenant legend is a figure we saw and interacted with in GW1 – except Mallyx and Glint, multiple times even.

It’s very obvious that the revenant is in its entirety an attempt to cater to all those crying out that GW2 has no connection to GW1 – not only due to the choice of legends, but how their mechanic functions (energy and upkeep, staples of GW1).

Dear ANet writers,

King Jalis

in Lore

Posted by: Killyox.3950

Killyox.3950

It doesn’t matter if he’s alive or not. Same with Malyx and every other legend. As long as they made their imprint in the mists that’s all that matters. Mists are past, present and future, all at te same time.