Kormir?

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

Correct me if i am wrong, but Kormir, i think, became a god in Nightfall. maybe her presence will be more common in the next expansions, but as an ele, i was surprised i could choose Kormir as a deity, but i only get a condition removal skill that removes 3 conditions.

so maybe because of her ascension to a god only happened in Elona, of course it would make sense that she does not show up at all in this game at the moment.

is that all? this may be more of a game play question, and for that, i am sorry. Just seemed weird that after finishing Nightfall, all i got was a condition removal with her name on it.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

All of the gods have distanced themselves from the world.

The racial skills are unrelated to profession.

Kormir is a deity to all humans, not just Elona, though she’s probably a patron goddess there (much like how Lyssa is to Vabbians during GW1).

Not sure what you were expecting out of a skill for a goddess of truth.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

She is been handled equally in the architecture of Divinity’s reach. She also has a (racial) skill The fact that I agree with you the skill itself doesn’t challenge me to equip it in battle doesn’t say too much bout the quality of her worshipping. Please don’t mix mechanics with lore. And she did got more, there is also a plaza with her name.

From a lore point of view we are forgotten. our deeds are 250 years in the past. Some people think we should be remembered as the heroes of the past, and some npc’s in the ruins of the HoM does see us that way. But in the end the true heroes remain nameless where the wannabe tanking nitwit with the mustache (we all cheered when he was killed by an avalanche right?) has a full quarter named after him in divinity’s reach (for the non gw1 players; Rurik was a npc in gw1 that got not much love from the community but the area in divinity’s reach called Rurikton is named after him).

So if you compare the role of Rurik and Kormir in GW2 she is treated as a god and Rurik as a famous nitwit from the past.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

(edited by mercury ranique.2170)

Kormir?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You say not to mix lore and mechanics, yet the reason why Rurik is a “nitwit” (and the reason why he’s disliked – same goes for Kormir, Togo, and Mhenlo in fact) is solely/primarily due to mechanics. :p

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Freya Norgarde.4517

Freya Norgarde.4517

You say not to mix lore and mechanics, yet the reason why Rurik is a “nitwit” (and the reason why he’s disliked – same goes for Kormir, Togo, and Mhenlo in fact) is solely/primarily due to mechanics. :p

I hated him long before the irritations with his tendency to run off without the party. The person who does his VO just…irked me. His lines had a tendency to sound entirely too wishy-washy as well. Something about him just sets people off, I think, beyond the mechanics.

Kormir and Mhenlo also get the vote in my books as being crazy annoying right after Rurik, simply because of how they come across. Kormir is blinded. She then proceeds to do absolutely nothing up until Abaddon needs killin’. Mhenlo is just presented as this amazing wonderful faultless dude who just happens to have way too many adoring fangirls.

Togo though. Togo was awesome.

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
and with strange aeons even death may die.”

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Zenyatoo.4059

Zenyatoo.4059

I hated him long before the irritations with his tendency to run off without the party. The person who does his VO just…irked me. His lines had a tendency to sound entirely too wishy-washy as well. Something about him just sets people off, I think, beyond the mechanics.

Kormir and Mhenlo also get the vote in my books as being crazy annoying right after Rurik, simply because of how they come across. Kormir is blinded. She then proceeds to do absolutely nothing up until Abaddon needs killin’. Mhenlo is just presented as this amazing wonderful faultless dude who just happens to have way too many adoring fangirls.

Togo though. Togo was awesome.

Kormir was like
starts a war
gets kidnapped
goes blind
gets rescued by us breaking into the most heavily guarded fort in the world
gets kidnapped AGAIN
gets rescued by us breaking into what is literally hell.
becomes a literal useless npc (she doesnt fight)
steals all the glory, power, and credit for fighting abaddon

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

Kormir was like
starts a war
gets kidnapped
goes blind
gets rescued by us breaking into the most heavily guarded fort in the world
gets kidnapped AGAIN
gets rescued by us breaking into what is literally hell.
becomes a literal useless npc (she doesnt fight)
steals all the glory, power, and credit for fighting abaddon

Again it´s mechanics, not the actual story.

Kormir starts a war for which she recruits heroes from all around the world, organizes the training and the attack itself, leads said attack succesfuly right until the end when Varesh summons bloody demons to aid her.
After being imprisoned you the hero go around doing random kitten, while others coordinate the survival and regroupping of sunspears. True you help by rescuing more people to do the real work for you. You are prettymuch just a figurehead.
You then get a chance to rescue Kormir, and when you do so she has already gathered enough informationt to form a plan other than run back to istan (thing your character would do).
After he disappears at the monument it´s not like the heroes go after her to rescue her, as far as they are concerned it´s like she´s dead. Heroes just push onwards with the plan kormir had formed, and reach Varesh after which they are cast to realm of torment too.
There we find Kormir, who has formed alliance with the forgotten, has formed small force of scouts and fighters to help you, has gathered information and intelligence on the surrounding realm, has already thought a plan on how to go about attacking abaddon, and proceeds to make that plan happen.
The reason she doesn´t attack obviously because of game mechanics. If she did figth she´d have to be vulnerable to enemies, meaning she could die and be just as much of a pain in thekitten as Rurik in prophecies. (resurrecting npcs is something they figured in Gw:en)

So if you take each occasion she´s in the party with you and assume that she contributed as much as you did, add to that all the kitten she did apart from just fighting, and i can say she did whole lot more than our heroes ever did.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Tomcio.9605

Tomcio.9605

One more time: Kormir did not become a deity because of killing abaddon. No, a group of Heroes, Kormir and all the story-important character did.

Kormir turned into a goddes because she absorbed Abaddons wisdom, power and all the mysteries and secrets, it stood for, and which were about to get lost for ever. Kormir decided to "soak " it in. And that why she became a goddess. Not because she killed Abaddon, but because she absorbed everything Abaddon stood for.

She is not an overrated hero, put into godlike-status by mortals. She became a truly deity by taking Abaddon place.
The mortal hero who helped her to is the player of Guild Wars 1.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Agreed with the above being pointed out. It wasn’t killing Abaddon that made a person a god -- it was making the choice a mortal could make to do something about the huge, tremendous outpouring of energy and knowledge.
Also it didn’t "only happen in Elona". Kormir’s priests/priestesses are just as prevalent throughout Kryta as the other gods’.

All of the six human gods got a human racial skill. I realize this is going to be a generalization, but I suspect hers and Balthy’s are the only ones that will see widespread use. But that’s just a mechanics issue.

Kormir?

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

You dislike Zhed’s voice? I can see how some of his lines can irk folks though, but all Prophecies VO, even though they’re good voice actors, when I watched the cinematic again this summer it was just… Gah. Some great lines, but equally as many aweful lines (the Sanctum Cay cinematics come to mind… “You are chosen.” disinterested but exaggerated “What?”).

Kormir does nothing? Right, because sending scouts across the Realm of Torment and organizing an army to fight a tyrant is nothing. :P Thing is, her ‘doing nothing’ is poor mechanics choice. She collides yet doesn’t have a support build. Her not attacking makes sense. Would have made more sense to have given her a full out leadership/command/motivation support build and put her to passive like heroes. Or at least remove collision.

As to Kormir becoming a god while the others don’t – this reminds me of the story told during Cathedral of Silence personal story. To paraphrase Priestess Rhei (if I recall her name correctly), Grenth and seven mortals (aka a party of eight) fought Dhuum. Grenth ascended into godhood. The seven mortal heroes became Grenth’s avatars – the Reapers.

It’s possible the nightfall heroes received a similar reward when they died – being ascended into immortality as Kormir’s avatars.

Dear ANet writers,

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Alent.4780

Alent.4780

In response to the OP: You don’t really see any of the deities in any of the GW games, really, except for Abbadon. Just avatars or representations of them, because they had pulled back from the world. They are probably even further away now. Why do people expect Kormir to still think / act like she did when she was a mortal after changing the very nature of her being and absorbing all that knowledge and power? Why would you expect something other than taking part in an awesome story out GW: Nightfall 2?

As has been mentioned every human has access to all skills bearing the name of the six human gods. What I don’t get is why people think racial skills should be more powerful than they are – if you look at them, none of them are absolute game changers, and it’s meant to be that way. You may think condition removal is dumb if, say, you play a guardian, but other professions might actually really like the skill.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Corvus.1583

Corvus.1583

Wasn’t Kormir tied to Abbadon in some way before the battle even started? I remember her being in the Realm of Torment because she was taken there by force, but stated that she couldn’t leave willingly while Abbadon still persisted. Something about a secret that she had kept about causing the awakening of the Apocrypha which led to Varesh being able to bring about the Nightfall. I think she had regret for keeping that secret, but was redeemed when she helped defeat him. The avatars of the gods also talked about giving her a “gift”, and that humans have always been capable of defeating evil. The gift obviously being granted the 6th spot as a god.

Corvus Dark, Human Thief
Leader of Tyrian Farmers Union
Tarnished Coast

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Alent.4780

Alent.4780

The gods did indeed grant her a boon, but I’m not sure she was forced to be in the Realm of Torment. If memory serves, she was spirited away with the rest of your group after you defeat Varesh.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

A must http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxmkAoLC6_4
Yay for cute Varesh!

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Crimsony.2514

Crimsony.2514

Wasn’t Kormir tied to Abbadon in some way before the battle even started?

Yeah, her eyes were eaten by a demon while she was imprisoned in the Moon Fortress. Since that time (though perhaps she was already doomed before this by mucking about in the Forbidden Ruins) she had nightmares that grew stronger and stronger as Abaddons power over Elona grew.

Eventually as you approach Palawa Jokos resting place she gets pulled through a portal into the Realm of Torment, and is stuck there until she achieves godhood. She gets pulled in several missions before you yourself go to the Realm of Torment, because there’s all the Junundu missions between the events. (I hated the Junundu missions<)

I can copy paste relevant text if needed, but it’s all easy enough to find by going through the Nightfall mission articles on the GW1 wiki and F3 “Kormir”.

Kormir?

in Lore

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

One thing missed, Kormir was the person who awoke Abbadon, you know the starting cutscene in nightfall… look at the person who is casting spells next to that giant head of a statue that looks a lot like a ex-human god.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.