Krait and Dominion of Winds

in Lore

Posted by: zwierz.9012

zwierz.9012

Good point Stooperdale, krait never have used lumber in their works, and it’s not certain do they even understand the idea of siege engines of any kind.

They can still be digging, either downwards for unknown reason, or towards destroyer tunnels or under Tengu wall to islands on the other side, building some structure or simply trying something new…

@Walhalla: What screenshots? Argh, gonna look now!

EDIT: I can’t find the new screenshots so far, any link perhaps?

(edited by zwierz.9012)

in Lore

Posted by: Walhalla.5473

Walhalla.5473

These screenshots

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/a2d9102-Krait-Obelisk-Shard.jpg

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/c3aae01-Antitoxin-Spray.jpg

The first one is interesting, because of the name and the shard in the screen. While looking at the first, i have to ask another question. Why is this one in DR? Was it always there and phased out with ancient magic or did someone took it to DR?

(edited by Walhalla.5473)

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Thanks for the links, very informative indeed…

The screenshots actually gave me an idea.

The krait are digging to unearth the obelisk! We know they worship the obelisks, but there is none to be seen, right?

SO let’s say they would dig for one, to open a portal for a prophet to RETURN, instead of sending another one?

So let’s say they would unearth the obelisk (digging would take a lot of lumber, to secure the dig site etc.) and then open the passage, blowing the obelisk up in high in the sky (which would explain the first screenshot)!

We would then be traveling to some different dimension to fight the prophet and his armies, based on the second screenshot that looks sort of R’lyeh-ish. I’d say we face Chthulhu there, but that would be too much.

And it would make sense gameplay wise, since a LS update focusing on underwater combat would make many people rage, so double gain?

EDIT: The architecture on the second picture seems unknown to me, so perhaps this is how krait build, when they are not quickly putting shacks and cages together?

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

The architecture in the second picture is Orrian. Specifically the Cathedral of Eternal Radiance.

I’d also bet a lot of money that there’ll be no interdimensional battles in this update, but I’m not going there.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Oh kitten , you are right, I went ahead of myself with this one!

Scratch the latter part of my quickly made theory then, I still think they might be digging to unearth an obelisk.

in Lore

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

The krait will never unearth a krait obelisk in Kryta, zwierz. 250 years ago, Kryta was filled with undead, wildlife, and beaches. The krait recently came to Tyria (continent) during the wake of the deep sea elder dragon.

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Good point, Exosferatu! Still, there can be some “obelisk buried there eons ago” factors coming in, other than that, I’m wrong.

Which makes me double back to the starting theorems, much more thought through.

in Lore

Exosferatu.2961

But how can there be an ancient krait obelisk buried underneath a shallow lake though? The krait are originally from the abyssal depths of Unending Ocean.

in Lore

zwierz.9012

I’d say it’s about as likely as for a norn woman to give birth to an asura (Which can happen if said norn woman sits on an asura first and wears no underwear).

In other words: I meant that unless for some reason unknown someone would bury an obelisk there, I’m wrong, and krait aren’t digging in search for the obelisk.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Scarlet found the shard and gave it to the krait, obviously. Thus she gained their support by showing herself to be religious to their cause. A “willing slave” in their view.

The first one is interesting, because of the name and the shard in the screen. While looking at the first, i have to ask another question. Why is this one in DR? Was it always there and phased out with ancient magic or did someone took it to DR?

Probably found and moved for study.

Or just there for the promotion screenshots to avoid spoilers for where it’d really be.

We know they worship the obelisks, but there is none to be seen, right?

That’s because they’re supposed to be on the ocean floor. Not on land. So it’s only natural we wouldn’t found an obelisk. Unless the krait are right and the world was once submerged in water.

P.S., you guys are no fun. Fine fine, 220g split 3 ways vs. 120g split 6 ways is the current betting standing.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Wasn’t it stated once that the krait didn’t necessarily “build” the obelisks but instead “found” them and started worshipping? I could swear this was said once in an early release on the krait. If this was the case then there could have been one that no one knew about in that lake. Time buries things, like Elder Dragons. It’s not hard to believe one could have been buried in a lake in a relatively mountainous area (thinking back to GW1 kryta). Landslides and such.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

What was said was…

Land-based historians and scholars theorize that the obelisks on the sea floor are not mystical, but are ancient monuments to religious figures and societal governors of the krait. Because the krait memorize their lore, some information has been lost over the centuries. The krait race has forgotten the obelisks’ true purpose and has invented instead a mystic reverence for the monuments and those they represent. Certainly, the obelisks are eerily smooth and have no symbols on them, and thus cannot relate their history firsthand. The krait Oratuss are the ones who interpret the meaning of these monoliths for their people—and because of the fanaticism of these priests and priestesses, the story of the obelisks’ creation and purpose has been twisted to religious use.

So it’s entirely up in the air. It’s unknown what their true origins are, since the proclaimed origins and religious ties are very likely to be tall tales told to control the krait populous.

However, about one being in the lake…

The krait religion is based on massive obelisks of a unique, dark stone that can be found exclusively and rarely on Tyria’s ocean floors.

Exclusively on the ocean floors. I wouldn’t call a lake an “ocean floor.”

Both quotes come from:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shadows_in_the_Water_%E2%80%93_The_Krait

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Exosferatu.2961

The krait build obelisks and its stone found exclusively and rarely on Tyria’s ocean floors. I don’t think an obelisk is buried in Viathan Lake. If the krait are just unearthing an obelisk they need to dig around it and they do not need to cut trees and let us hear the stuff they are building from distance. It is possible that the krait have dug underwater tunnels to bring this type of stone from Unending Ocean to Viathan Lake. The krait are seem to be launching an attack to the Dominion of Winds or if they are confident enough, they will attack Divinity’s Reach.

in Lore

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

in Lore

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I’d say it’s about as likely as for a norn woman to give birth to an asura (Which can happen if said norn woman sits on an asura first and wears no underwear).

Ooookay, thank you for that mental image. (cringe)

There’s another aspect of this I haven’t seen discussed yet. The “Great Mesmer Collective” or whatever is studying this activity which apparently is something they haven’t seen before.

Has anyone ever seen the krait use any type of mesmer abilities?

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Apparently the witches do. There’s one in Caledon, and there was one in that field now, so it isn’t out of the question.

Not sure it matters, but the Hypnoss were also more appropriately mesmers in GW1- though they use necromancer-esque abilities now.

EDIT: Now that I’ve done personal research, the witches are quasi-necromancers too. So no, it appears they don’t, but nonetheless mesmer magic has been used.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

in Lore

Posted by: Mystic Starfish.2586

Mystic Starfish.2586

Isn’t that “Head Slaver Nymfasa” krait a mesmer? I feel like one of them in the personal story is, at least.

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Ooookay, thank you for that mental image. (cringe)

There’s another aspect of this I haven’t seen discussed yet. The “Great Mesmer Collective” or whatever is studying this activity which apparently is something they haven’t seen before.

Has anyone ever seen the krait use any type of mesmer abilities?

You’re welcome! I suppose my sense of humour is more than a bit twisted.

And yes I think the mesmer veil is more or less unusual, scale is impraessive, but it seems crude, completely different in both scale and making from (for example) the Queen’s trickshow not long ago, also a mesmer showdown.

I mean it’s just a physical barrier + invisibilty veil, much less complicated matter than an illusion of life, but it’s big as (or nevermind, we don’t want any more mental images, do we?)… a curtain the size of a lake. And no I can’t think of any mesmer action from krait in GW2…

(edited by zwierz.9012)

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

The krait build obelisks and its stone found exclusively and rarely on Tyria’s ocean floors. I don’t think an obelisk is buried in Viathan Lake. If the krait are just unearthing an obelisk they need to dig around it and they do not need to cut trees and let us hear the stuff they are building from distance.

But this assumes the Krait actually built the obelisks; what we know from lore articles etc. is that the Krait believe these rare obelisks of dark stone herald of their prophets’ return and so on. It doesn’t say the Krait themselves built them – I mean, wouldn’t that be a strange prophecy to believe in.

You believe that a prophet will return at a rare obelisk you believe has a prophecy connected to it. If you were able to build this obelisk yourself, wouldn’t you just build thousands of them to help fulfill/realise that prophecy much sooner? There’s a little paradox in this for me; the Krait cannot be the builders of these obelisks – they might be erecting some sort of temple on the site of such an obelisk, but the obelisks are just natural (though rare and mysterious) stone structures they’ve excavated at various sites across Tyria – and should not need to be restricted to the Unending Ocean where the Krait hail from. Their obelisk shard might just be a pretty “coral” to other races.

I’d say these obelisks can exist anywhere, and that the Krait are unearthing them and then worshipping these in hopes of having their prophet returning. Also, if they indeed are unearthing an obelisk on the ocean floor, how in the world of physics will it then surface to rage high above water… hence, why raise that sky-high invisibility veil above Viathan Lake. They must be building some other kind of tower there – possibly they’ve uncovered an obelisk skitten the ocean floor and then erected some “temple” structure around it?

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

Inb4 kittenstorm on new trailer

Kegmaster

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Hmm, no silly laughter, no ponies, no mechanical loot pinatas that just stand around looking silly and waiting to be killed… Yep, doesn’t seem like Scarlet would be involved.

Muahaha, I’m gonna be rich! Or not.

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

However, the use of “Nightmare” seems prominent, and the krait shown are obviously afflicted somehow. And do we know who the voice over woman is supposed to be? I think she did the TAss video too, and that was for Scarlet…
Unless she’s unrelated and Anet just decided sinister sounding women were great for teasers

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Well, nightmare doesn’t mean Nightmare Court automatically, and even if, it doesn’t mean Scarlet.

And I hope the sinister lady, I think she is just a sinister voice.

The most important part, no signs of any kind of machinery and gadgets typical for Scarlet.

in Lore

Mystic Starfish.2586

Just watched it again, there is definitely some purple glowing through a crack, and some roots breaking through the tower. I was gonna say that the corrupted krait looked reminiscent of the SB/underworld related things, but they also look like one of the husks that NC members have. We’re all entitled to our own opinions, but I’m feeling Mordremoth/NC involvement somehow (maybe not scarlet)

in Lore

zwierz.9012

I think it may be Bubbles, krait being water creatures and all. Or maybe some Underworld/Mists influence, they remind me a little of Shadow Behemoth. Of course, it is just an opinion.

Maybe one of the Prophets that ascended through the obelisk has achieved his goal, (whatever that is exactly) and wanted to return. He would send thelepathical message to Krait Witch, which decided to build the tower, a landing pad (of sorts) for Him and his ghastly minions, that will perhaps posses the krait Loa style, and start prancing around?

Just a theory from the top of my hat, go ahead and point out inconsistencies.

EDIT: On a second thought, wording used by ANet (The Nightmare GROWS) and all the spiky plantlife seems to be suggesting Nightmare Court’s Involvement. It goes against the motto of “Broader, not deeper”, but totally plausible it will be NC after all.

But then why do krait glow? Oh I know! The Prophet ascended through the Obelisk to world of F…. popular post apocaliptic game… And brought a couple of Glowing Ghouls and barrels of radioactive waste with him. Norn vs Supermutants, anyone?

(edited by zwierz.9012)

in Lore

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

If it does turn out to be the nightmare court involvement then I wonder if the Krait caught Faolain somehow.

in Lore

zwierz.9012

That would be interesting.

And come to think of it, my theory about krait deciding to take an offensive against Fort Salma, Dominion of Winds, and other populated areas in Kessex has fallen even before release.

Well, at least it was fun imagining them actually taking an active role in the world rather than electing another static danger zone, but while a little disappointing, it can still be quite fun, unless Scarlet will be involved, then I myself won’t touch it, but that’s just me.

in Lore

Posted by: histerico.6153

histerico.6153

Those krait in the trailer seem to be wielding the new aether/nightmare weapons introduced in Twilight Assault.

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I’m convinced that Scarlet is involved with the new LS. There’s Nightmare Court construction in the new obelisk AND the Krait are using the new Twilight Aetherblade weapons. Since the Nightmare Court do not have a presence in Kessex Hills, somebody must have given the technology to them, and Scarlet seems to be the only uber-villain capable of getting formerly xenophobic evil races to work together.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Scarlet’s involved… again…?

Hopefully – given the tower’s size and that it will probably not be around for long, maybe it’s the final show-off with Scarlet leading to her defeat.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

Yup, pretty much given up all hope. Thalador consider me on your band wagon. From here on out the Lore Slayer must be stopped.

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Sorry to be the kittenbag, the pain of Scarlet’s involvement is severe enough, but… it’s pay time.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

^

15 golden charr

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

How we doing this? Since there’s so many people on both sides? I don’t wanna just pay Thal and have other people coming at me for money too :P

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

I’m pretty sure Thal, Konig, and therapite are the only ones who were on the winning side. I’m just splitting my funds equally among them

in Lore

Posted by: therapite.3645

therapite.3645

On the one hand? Yay monies. On the other hand? Uuuugh Red Cabbage.

Ayla Tyrsdottir | Melsande | Rowan Cabot | Joxa | Phedra Nyx|Ephiny Tyrkin
Eternal Clarity [Ankh] /Archivists Sanctum [Lore]
A quaint dye collector with a lore problem.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

220g split between Thalador, myself, and therapite. It doesn’t split evenly.

I’d suggestion 80-80-60g split with therapite getting the least because he offered the least (in standard betting and gambling, giving higher risk results in higher output and both me and Thal offered 50g per capita ).

The losers’ placement was:
Narcemus: 20g
Aaron: 35g
zwierzL 50g
Draxynnic: 45g
Eluviete: 50g
Maethor: 20g

So to streamline trading as best as possible:

To Thalador:
Narc sends 20g
zwierzl sends 50g
Aaron sends 10g

To Me:
Eluviete sends 50g
Aaron sends 15g
Drax sends 5g

To therapite:
Drax sends 40g
Maethor sends 20g

Unless therapite or Thalador have issues with my suggested division (honestly, I’d probably want to give Thalador the least, Mr. 700g+ in bank >.>), but I feel this is most fair.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

therapite.3645

LOL I have 200g so I’ll take whatever I can get on my way to getting my first Legendary

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Jeez, apparently I’m the poorest of the winners. lol Mind if I increase my share? :P

(Kidding, of course).

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

therapite.3645

LOL I thought I was bad XD Also, fyi? I’m a girl. Hard to tell, I know. :P

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

I was going to go with the theory that Konig and Thalador were going to cover the extra 100g from their side, so it goes roughly 45.45 repeater % for those two and the rest for therapite.

I’m withholding judgement for the moment, though, since what I’ve seen from the NPCs is “we think Scarlet did…” rather than actual confirmation – there’s room for them to have come to their senses at the last minute and have the NPCs speculation be a mirror of our own. If you want me to send the money now I will since I’ll be shocked at this stage if it isn’t Scarlet, but I don’t think we can call it absolutely confirmed until we actually get to go into the tower and get to the bottom of it. NPC speculation has been known to be wrong before.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

(edited by draxynnic.3719)

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Heh, sending gold today I will. And then i’ll log out and stay logged out untill Slayer of Lores is gone.

in Lore

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

After the patch one could conclude that the Dominion of Winds is also having problems with these spore offshoots – it could be the starting point for the Tengu personal story.

Edit: I guess justification is needed – the Dominion of Winds is also adjacent to Kessex hills.

The krait religion is based on massive obelisks of a unique, dark stone that can be found exclusively and rarely on Tyria’s ocean floors.

Exclusively on the ocean floors. I wouldn’t call a lake an “ocean floor.”

That’s a historical document, though, Konig. The krait would be forced to adapt because they have been forced away from that sea floor by bubbles, they wouldn’t just abandon the concept of summoning their prophets back to Tryia.

Either way now we know it’s a weird krait obelisk tree people hybrid thing.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

So, since I don’t have too many better places to post this. While doing an escort mission along the road on the south side of the Kessex Hills map I noticed a vacant tent (appears to be the same style as tengu trading tents) next to the Dominion wall southwest of Overlake Haven. I don’t remember seeing that before – is it new or is my memory just shot?

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

The one downhill from the vet raptor? It’s always been there.

in Lore

therapite.3645

LOL I was actually planning on covering the rest of mine, since I figured I could until more people decided to throw their $.02 in. But however. This was all for fun, and I don’t expect anything from people.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

If you were planning on expanding it to above 20g, I’d be happy to treat it as a 41.6/41.6/remainder split. I think that comes to 18.75 from me to Konig and Thal, and 7.5 to you.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

OK. It looks vaguely like a mistake, just wasn’t sure if it was recent or not.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Lore

therapite.3645

I had been, but it’s entirely up to you. As you have your own way of doing this, then whatever is fine with me. I had thought it was 20g per person and was fully planning on covering that, as it was within my means with the people participating, and I don’t know what 100g you’re talking about Thal and Konig covering? If you think it should be less, then that’s what it is. No worries, mate

in Lore

zwierz.9012

Well, now at least I have a bone to pick with Scarlet. If she’d WAIT and not show her face for this update I’d be richer. But no, she had to be mentioned, kitten it!

Anyway, logging in to pay up.

ps. And I would’ave gotten away with it if it wasn’t for that pesky salad!