Kralkatorrik; the next Elder Dragon to debut.

in Lore

Posted by: Ravij.9856

Ravij.9856

Given the current Living Stories that we’ve been going through; I’d like to make the assumption that the next Elder Dragon we’re going to focus on is Kralkatorrik. The appearance of the Aetherblades and all their assorted events makes me think this.

Also with the Zephyrites; being masters of Sun, Lightning, and Wind and the appearance of quartz crystals. If we look at Kralkatorrik’s Wiki we can note these few things:

Kralkatorrik is the Elder Crystal Dragon — its wingspan easily blocks out the sun --
When Kralkatorrik flew, a terrible storm of black clouds and lightning was formed around its body.

With other information; It’s likely to assume that Elona will be the next continent to open up in GW2 with the rest of the information on Kralkatorrik’s page:

It is also one of the forces preventing movement into Elona for all except the Order of Whispers.

Any thoughts on this?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well, the whole “blocking out the sun” is just a thing about its pure size. Any Elder Dragon can do that. Hell, Zhaitan was doing that for 100 years by darkening the sky above Orr (actually, I think it’s said the sky’s been dark over Orr’s waters since the Cataclysm, so make that 250 years! And we know it’s Zhaitan’s doing thanks to the fact that the sky starts clearing up in Arah explorable, mainly Forgotten path).

Onto the Living Story part itself. It seems rather obvious that the Zephyrites would hold some ties to Kralkatorrik, given that they’re related to Glint, a former champion of Kralkatorrik. However, I do not think that the Living Story will be related to the next expansion, nor do I think that it’ll be tied to the Elder Dragons. This is really baseless, but so is presuming it’s related to either. I am really suspecting that the expansions will be dealing with the ED (in new maps), while hte living story deals with non-ED threats (in old maps, or new small ones).

As to the blocking off to Elona, that’s technically not true, and rather outdated. What’s preventing access is the combination of four things: (1) Zhaitan’s forces in the southern CD, which are warring with (2) Joko’s forces; simultaneously, (3) Kralkatorrik’s forces are heading towards the CD, and his influence is supposedly still there and (4) Queen Jennah of Kryta and Captain Sammuelsson, Duke of Ebonhawke has blocked all access into the Crystal Desert via the Desert Gate claiming that there’s a recent “dark presence” that’s unknown (if it weren’t for the “unknown” part, I’d claim Joko or Kralkatorrik – or both).

Personally, I think it’s either going to be Jormag next – because he’s (1) the most offensive of the remaining five, (2) we know where he is, and (3) he has already assaulted Lion’s Arch indirectly (Priory storyline) which is what got us to finally assault Zhaitan – or Primordus – because (1) he’s been around the longest so he’s likely have had time to build up a large and strong army, (2) the Destroyers have “recently” been popping up all over continental Tyria signifying that the stone dwarves are nearing or are on their last leg in the Depths of Tyria, (3) he’s had 200 years to consume six asuran cities (and who knows how many isolated asuran labs) that’re on par to Rata Sum and full of magical artifacts of the asura, and (4) he’s now attacking the Dominion of Winds, a major racial city. Alternatively, I can see the expansion going after Jormag, Primordus, and Kralkatorrik. A swift sweeping motion to eliminate three threats through the expansion’s plotline, to open up going into other places and plotlines. Or alternatively, it’ll go westword focusing on Malyck, Mordremoth, and the White Mantle. But I doubt that last one personally… for now.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

if the dragons were the only reason we aren’t moving to other continents, we’d be heading to cantha already. beyond kralk there’s the desolation, and beyond that you have an undead overlord enslaving a whole continent, and i sure hope ANet has better common sense than to throw us at another undead threat so soon. people are still hating the risen.

anyway, i do think kralk might be next, but for different reasons than yours. i also hope he’s next, because he’s the one i’m looking forward to the most. either him or jormag, though it seems that we’re at an advantage if we strike kralkatorrik before he fully recovers (granted, it’s been 6+ years since he last fought anything).

for whatever reason, i just don’t see primordus being second in line.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

if the dragons were the only reason we aren’t moving to other continents, we’d be heading to cantha already. beyond kralk there’s the desolation, and beyond that you have an undead overlord enslaving a whole continent, and i sure hope ANet has better common sense than to throw us at another undead threat so soon. people are still hating the risen.

anyway, i do think kralk might be next, but for different reasons than yours. i also hope he’s next, because he’s the one i’m looking forward to the most. either him or jormag, though it seems that we’re at an advantage if we strike kralkatorrik before he fully recovers (granted, it’s been 6+ years since he last fought anything).

You obviously didn’t play GW1 then… Prophecies: Orrian Undead!, Factions: Afflicted! (They rose from corpses and were ugly so close enough) Nightfall: Palawa Joko’s Undead!

On a more serious note: Primordius and Jormag woke before Kralk, so wouldn’t it make more sense to go after them before they get stronger? (I don’t necessarily think that, it’s just a response to your Kralk recovering comment).

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

if the dragons were the only reason we aren’t moving to other continents, we’d be heading to cantha already.

Why Cantha? There needs to be a plot device to take us there. Many folks believe we’ll go to Cantha first just because it was the order of GW1, but honestly, Anet can take us to whatever direction they want.

Or no where at all. There’s dozens of enemies and plot points in continental Tyria that should get wiped out first, and Anet’s just adding more enemies to the continent lately.

As to undead after undead… well, if we really want to think about it, every single game has had a major enemy or influence of undeath and/or ancient evil. Prophecies: undead, mursaat (ancient), and titans (ancient); Factions: Shiro (“ancient”), Afflicted (“undead”); Nightfall: Joko (undead), Abaddon (ancient), Margonites (ancient); Eye of the North: undead (in dungeons); Great Destroyer (ancient); GW2: Zhaitan (ancient undead!).

And people are only tiring of undead now. 8D

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

You obviously didn’t play GW1 then… Prophecies: Orrian Undead!, Factions: Afflicted! (They rose from corpses and were ugly so close enough) Nightfall: Palawa Joko’s Undead!

On a more serious note: Primordius and Jormag woke before Kralk, so wouldn’t it make more sense to go after them before they get stronger? (I don’t necessarily think that, it’s just a response to your Kralk recovering comment).

oh i did… and i quit factions halfway through because i couldn’t stand kaineng and the kittening afflicted anymore (went back to it later).

pact resources are mostly in orr or near orr. with orr cleansed, transferring those resources through the elon river would be much faster than across the continent (even if gates are built, there’s only so much material that can be transferred at once, and there’s a size issue too).

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

if the dragons were the only reason we aren’t moving to other continents, we’d be heading to cantha already.

Why Cantha? There needs to be a plot device to take us there. Many folks believe we’ll go to Cantha first just because it was the order of GW1, but honestly, Anet can take us to whatever direction they want.

Or no where at all. There’s dozens of enemies and plot points in continental Tyria that should get wiped out first, and Anet’s just adding more enemies to the continent lately.

As to undead after undead… well, if we really want to think about it, every single game has had a major enemy or influence of undeath and/or ancient evil. Prophecies: undead, mursaat (ancient), and titans (ancient); Factions: Shiro (“ancient”), Afflicted (“undead”); Nightfall: Joko (undead), Abaddon (ancient), Margonites (ancient); Eye of the North: undead (in dungeons); Great Destroyer (ancient); GW2: Zhaitan (ancient undead!).

And people are only tiring of undead now. 8D

i’m not saying cantha’s next. i’m saying that if the only reason we aren’t in other continents yet is because of dragons (as the OP implied), then we’d already be able to go to cantha. not discussing why we should go there, just pointing out that “we got rid of the dragon in the way” doesn’t mean “we can head to that new continent now”.

if anything, we’ll get rid of all the dragons before we move away from tyria… or get them to the other continents, they seem awfully localized for a global threat. kralk could easily head to elona, bubbles and our jungle dragon friend could easily be in cantha, and god knows where primordus is (if they don’t make him climb out of the great chasm, and they won’t, then i’m betting either the maguuma wastes, or back to the caves).

in Lore

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

Yeah, everyone is so keen for Cantha, but I’m really not seeing any reason why this game would take us there at all (certainly not any time soon). As Konig says there’s plenty to be getting on with on the continent we have, heaps of un-filled map and un-finished conflicts. There are the Elder Dragons – still kind of a problem! Plus, Cantha as we knew it was a human empire. This world is no longer human-dominated so it would be very strange to get Cantha back in anything like the form we knew it. I think it’s a fan desire, but I don’t see how or why they’d incorporate it into GW2.

i quit factions halfway through because i couldn’t stand kaineng and the kittening afflicted anymore (went back to it later).

Kaineng was gloriously horrible… in lore it was a crowded, confusing, haphazard labyrinth full of bureaucrats who would send you across the city to ten different people to get anything done at all. In the game we experienced it as… exactly that. Frustrating as it could be, I had to admire the design :P

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

It was a joke Bruno

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

pact resources are mostly in orr or near orr. with orr cleansed, transferring those resources through the elon river would be much faster than across the continent (even if gates are built, there’s only so much material that can be transferred at once, and there’s a size issue too).

There’s a decent amount of Pact resources and forces in Frostgorge Sound. With their aircrafts and asura gates, I doubt it’d be that much work to move them to the more pressing of the two Elder Dragon threats between Jormag and Kralkatorrik.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

Konig,

On your post above, the living story is going to be used to open the map and get the next dragons and possibly the other continents. These was a dev talking about it a few weeks back that is what they are going to try to do. Currently this is their plan and will not be doing expansions if it works out the way they want it too.

Hjorje

in Lore

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

Konig,

On your post above, the living story is going to be used to open the map and get the next dragons and possibly the other continents. These was a dev talking about it a few weeks back that is what they are going to try to do. Currently this is their plan and will not be doing expansions if it works out the way they want it too.

Well…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-unlikely-to-get-expansions-Interview/page/2#post2343665

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

I would’t be surprised if they are working on an expansion and have just chosen not to say anything about it in order to keep people as interested in the living story as possible.
There is always the Daniel Dociu ‘Untitled work for NCSoft’ concept art of an Asian inspired futuristic city which could potentially point to Cantha (at least I’m going to hope so until it’s eventually confirmed or shown to be for something else) http://danieldociu.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/0/0/13009351/6102340_orig.jpg

(edited by FlamingFoxx.1305)

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig,

Well…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/GW2-unlikely-to-get-expansions-Interview/page/2#post2343665

Peculiar. Haven’t seen that.

I am doubtful that they really will be getting enough money long term – at some point, nearly everyone interested in the game will have bought it so the sales of the game will slow down, leaving only the gemstore as reliable revenue. And folks are getting annoyed by how Anet’s doing the gemstore (RNG) as it stands… But it does seem that the current open plan is living story over expansion… which I am not too keen about when “new maps in the Living Story” equate to Southsun Cove and Labyrinthine Cliffs.

Still, don’t forget that there was an NCsoft report of a GW2 expansion for later this year. It may be that they do have an expansion of some sort in the works, but want to keep it under complete wraps for some reason.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

I would’t be surprised if they are working on an expansion and have just chosen not to say anything about it in order to keep people as interested in the living story as possible.
There is always the Daniel Dociu ‘Untitled work for NCSoft’ concept art of an Asian inspired futuristic city which could potentially point to Cantha (at least I’m going to hope so until it’s eventually confirmed or shown to be for something else) http://danieldociu.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/0/0/13009351/6102340_orig.jpg

i don’t think it has any chance of happening, but by god it would be awesome if it did. turning kaineng into bladerunner would make me instantly love it lol.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I dunno. Bladerunner esque – or that concept art – seems a bit too advanced for Guild Wars.

Then again, we already have golems. Who’s to say that the Canthans can’t make more human-like AI, and use mesmer magic to make them look indistinctly from humans?

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Unless another dragon becomes an immediate threat Kragy will be next if for no other reason to avenged Snaff and Glint. We also have a weapon that can one hit kill it or at least know where it is.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

I dunno. Bladerunner esque – or that concept art – seems a bit too advanced for Guild Wars.

Then again, we already have golems. Who’s to say that the Canthans can’t make more human-like AI, and use mesmer magic to make them look indistinctly from humans?

i wasn’t specifically talking about robots, just the vibe of the place :P

the concept art has a billboard with a telephone number (tel: numbers) and a “emperor hotel”. thought those were interesting :P

i definitely wouldn’t mind a place where cyberpunk and fantasy clash together. it would be like shadowrun :o

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Well I was at first referring to the whole “its in the future” of Bladerunner, and in the concept art you got neon lights and what looks like an artistic version of blurred vehicle taillights.

Robots that can be mistaken as humans is a rather easy concept for GW to go for TBH, supposing that the AI/programming can be made well enough.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Posted by: Ravij.9856

Ravij.9856

Well, the whole “blocking out the sun” is just a thing about its pure size. Any Elder Dragon can do that. Hell, Zhaitan was doing that for 100 years by darkening the sky above Orr (actually, I think it’s said the sky’s been dark over Orr’s waters since the Cataclysm, so make that 250 years! And we know it’s Zhaitan’s doing thanks to the fact that the sky starts clearing up in Arah explorable, mainly Forgotten path).

The reason I put ‘its wingspan easily blocks out the sun’ in bold is because of the fact of the Zephrites use of Sun Crystals that could possibly lighten up the area if Kralkatorrik made an appearance. I know the quote was in reference to his size; but think of if he did block out the sun.
The Sun crystals may also be another key in defeating this elder dragon, as we can see the dark crystals in Burning Steppes, Iron Marches and a little bit of the Field of Ruin, darkening the sky where ever they are.

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

Was the Cataclysm possibly caused by Zhaitan then? for a large source of undead minions.

in Lore

FlamingFoxx.1305

Was the Cataclysm possibly caused by Zhaitan then? for a large source of undead minions.

No, it was caused by Abbaddon.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Also no, FlamingFoxx. It was caused by Khilbron reading the Lost Scrolls – motivated indirectly by the plots of Abaddon – which is only said to have stored magic from before the Bloodstone’s creation (do note: this is from the History of Tyria lore which was the very first lore document we had more or less that also claims that the Five Gods (not Six) created the world and the Bloodstones; so the Lost Scrolls would have been empowered, according to said document, in 1 BE).

The source of the Lost Scrolls’ magic is still relatively unknown. However, it is said to have held no affect on Zhaitan (the Cataclysm that is). And given the mentality of the GW1 undead, they are highly unlikely to be Risen, which are all undeniably fanatic for Zhaitan and Zhaitan alone.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Posted by: Gulesave.5073

Gulesave.5073

Agreed, the GW1 undead were the result of ambient necromancy, more connected to Grenth than Zhaitan. However, they were abundant in swamplands, as the modern risen notably are. Possibly, the existing undead forces were usurped by Zhaitan during his initial rise, not replaced.

Regarding the next arc, I wouldn’t be surprised if more than one Elder Dragon gets attention. It would be interesting to see whether the ED’s view each other as partners or competition. Regardless, I would expect this to be a gradual extension of the Personal Story, tied in with whatever permanent content – including new territory – is released through the Living Story during that time.

Hopefully, the Personal Story will branch after the creation of the Pact, so new characters don’t have to push all the way through Arrah before approaching the minions of Jormag, Kralk, Primordus, or Bubbles.

I should be writing.