Learning the lore of GW2

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Hyrian.3125

Hyrian.3125

Q:

I only recently got the game and am really interested in the lore of the game. But after checking the wiki, it seems like the pages written aren’t really fleshed out. I came from WoW and the wiki there was packed with lore whereas a page on Lion’s Arch in this wiki is really thin.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is any website or place where I can read a lot about of the lore of the game. ( Or is the wiki good enough and I’m just doing it wrong? ) Thank you.

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

A:

GW2W is poorly maintained in terms of lore articles, especially in the past few months (go figure given that’s when a certain event happened 8D).

For historical lore, it’s best to go to GWW like Gregorius said. I and others have spent years to make that as comprehensive as possible – though there are still places where it lacks, mainly in overlooked lore dialogues and the like.

A good place to start on GWW would be:
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Category:Lore

Just go through all the links in both, and then do so again in all linked articles. It won’t give you everything but it’ll give you a lot.

For GW2 lore, it’s best just to talk to all the NPCs and objects, read all of the dialogue, and pay attention to what’s happening. You need to always pay attention to the surroundings to get everything in GW2, and don’t believe NPCs outright – Anet has adapted the notion of “subjective truths” since the development of GW2 (so this isn’t the case in GW1 unless GW2 says otherwise). So if you see one NPC contradicting 3 others, that one NPC will be wrong in most cases.

The only articles adequatly, but still not completely, fleshed out on the GW2W are the major and sympathic races’ articles.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Gregorius.1024

Gregorius.1024

Welcome to the game. The guild wars wiki has far more information of events prior to guild wars 2. It’s a great read.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Start with humans (GW1 was mostly about them) and the continents, Tyria (also the name of the world and the current Gw2 continent), Elona and then Cantha. Get some info about the gods, then try to do the kingdoms. After that, check out the other races and their background.

If you do this you will have the most important parts of the lore i think and will help you greatly to understand further lore elements

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

I highly suggest you go through these series,Wooden Potatoes goes through events of GW and GW2,I learned most of the lore from him

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

WP is far from a good source. Like the GW2W, WP combines speculation and fact together so you’re unable to tell the difference. It can work as an introduction, but don’t believe everything that’s said without some grain of salt on hand. Preferably lots of it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

lore wise i would give more credit to Konig, he always show a deep knowledge about the lore in this game and each time i see his post i keep reading

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Learning the lore of GW2

in Lore

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

WP is far from a good source. Like the GW2W, WP combines speculation and fact together so you’re unable to tell the difference. It can work as an introduction, but don’t believe everything that’s said without some grain of salt on hand. Preferably lots of it.

You are right,he does speculate alot,but I love him because of those speculations