Legenday weapons and lore

in Lore

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

So I was thinking of how the legendary weapons fit in with the lore. It seems they are granted through the Mystic Forge by Zommoros. I’ve seen many people comment on how making a legendary weapon isn’t a “legendary” process, as you basically can farm gold for long enough to just buy the thing. But that doesn’t really fit into the lore. We do know that the weapons are granted by Zommoros. But we don’t know much about Zommoros. And thats fine. What we DO know about him, however, is that he likes to collect things, and in return will give us something “special” as he sees fit. So it is my thought, that we collect the various gifts, and these gifts are highly prized by him, and so in return he will grants us a special weapon based on the gifts that we present to him. These weapons, while not legendary in the sense that they are ancient and have done mighty deeds in the hands of their ancient wielders of old. (i.e. like Megdaer, or The Claw of Khan-ur), are of a greater power then the magical weapons found in Tyria today. But there are many copies of the weapons around, Twilight, Eternity, Bifrost, to name a few, so they can’t be unique. What I don’t get is how, lore wise, there can be many copies of the same “legendary” weapon running around. Unless Zommoros is magically creating these weapons upon receipt of the gifts he values so much, (and he is a Djinn, so that is possible) I am confused about how all of this ties into the lore. Any thoughts?

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in Lore

Posted by: Cojiro.6924

Cojiro.6924

The mystic forge is a 3D printer :p

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Gameplay mechanics. There isn’t any solid lore for the legendaries so far.

in Lore

Posted by: xerxes.3496

xerxes.3496

Gameplay mechanics. There isn’t any solid lore for the legendaries so far.

which is sad imo. it would have been amazing if you would know why your weapon is important beyond “i like the skin and it has the best stats”.

in Lore

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Just because they are legendary weapons doesn’t mean they are the original. These items could just be immensely powerful items that when the original was made gained a title. we have exotics that are the same way. Its just that these are imbued with very specific amounts of certain items to achieve their potency.

Think of all weapons in the GW2 universe as black powder. Yes its made up of ratios of a few items but finding that balance is key. The weapons just have more variables as to what creates very strong magics and these are the tried and true recipes for such perfectly proportioned ratios to produce the strongest possible weapon.

And seeing as legendarys will always be as strong as the top tier this makes sense. and if you want you can throw in the ability to alter their stats as the true legendary quality.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Lore

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Even if legendaries are just copies, there is no lore for their origin items.

I’m kinda glad though, the items that were given lore are poorly positioned in gameplay. Most of the ascended items have lore. They are named after GW1 NPCs and some GW2 NPCs. This sucks because these items have no gameplay dealing with their lore origins. They are just mechanically obtained via reward systems which are cynically constructed without story or lore, but the final product had an important lore name slapped onto it.

It’s one of GW2’s big weaknesses that keeps popping up, the story and the gameplay are separated. We don’t acquire Barradin’s Family Crest in Ascalon, near their estate or from a surviving relative or legacy, you buy it from a merchant conveniently located in every major city and WvW map. Even the merchants are bland when it comes to lore and flavour. Instead of being someone from the undermarket in Lion’s Arch, a trader of goods “questionably” acquired (a real weak way of explaining how a single merchant acquired some of the most powerful artifacts across Tyria) or a Zephyrite market that carefully acquired them through various trades, you have a generic NPC standing out in the open with no flavour or lore themselves.

in Lore

Posted by: Daniel Frozenwind.2946

Daniel Frozenwind.2946

You make an excellent point, Shiren.

One (1) Snowman Helm required. 100k + XXX Ecto.