Lets talk half breeds...

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Thangore.2935

Thangore.2935

With the release of HOT, we now have nine core classes each with a specialization. Plenty of play there. But I’ll admit that a new race or two would have been nice. Now that things seem to be stabilizing a bit (except for WvW work I guess) thought I’d ask here.

Would half breeds be acceptable content for a future patch?

What I am thinking, is that the challenge of creating all new races looks a nightmare. Those personal stories are so racially dependent at the start, that just adding in a new race would require new zones, new quests, a bucket-load of voice acting, an expansion of its own.

But half breeds could just slot into one of their parents areas!

What I am thinking, is that two or three half breed races are created, that blend the look of two races, and uses one set of racial abilities, but the starting zone and story of the other race. Maybe add a few NPCs in the cities that say “hey its a half-breed” and some slight intro changes re the race itself. And presto – new races born using the existing content.

Charvari (Sylvari born by a newish Pale Tree inspired by a noble apple eating Charr). Uses the charr body, but sylvari skins. In play uses Sylvari abilities and the Charr story. Eats apples.

Half-Norn (Human and Norn parents). Born in the human cities (thus story) but blessed with norn abilities. Human appearance in all aspects.

Sylsura (Sylvari born by the Pale Tree inspired by a heroic asuran golemancer). These would be Sylvari molded on something the Pale Tree itself encountered in the dream. Uses the Asuran body, with sylvari skins. In play uses Asura abilities and the Sylvari story. Maybe racials take on a “plant” aspect too.

This way, give people an opportunity to try out a new race, without breaking the bank on implementation. Stuck on voices though, maybe story determines voice actor from parent races.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

As far as I know, the races cannot interbreed, even the ones that look similar (like norn and humans) since they are fundamentally different (and species instead of races, but eh…).

On sylvari modeled after non-humans however, that’s entirely possible. the sylvari hounds are one variation, norn, charr, and asura themed ones don’t seem that far off the human model.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Thangore.2935

Thangore.2935

My thoughts too Smekras, but Olaf Olafson does seem to indicate Norn-human is possible.

Given HOT, Sylvari-anything appears possible.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

You’ll have to elaborate on Olaf, it’s been ages since I ran into him.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

slyvari/charr – a cat that can produce it’s own catnip.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

It’s been confirmed that interspecies romance doesn’t even exist, let alone such interactions between different races. Olaf Olafson only speculates that a norn-human hybrid is possible, but arenanet have put their foot down and said it doesn’t matter.

Also the reason we won’t get charr sylvari or charr asura is because the pale trees (plural as shown in one of the level 20 sylvari stories) have just molded them that way. before they were confirmed as dragon minions, it was said that the pale tree made sylvari out of the shape of ronan and was also able to create female sylvari too. Also, sylvari cannot mate or produce children, they all come from the pale tree.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

It is established canon lore that the player races cannot have halfbreeds with other player races (yes, even norn and human despite their similar look) and the same is true for most player races with non-player races.

If you were on Guru2 before release, you would know that this is called a sylcarri.

It’s been confirmed that interspecies romance doesn’t even exist,

This isn’t true. There are some cases of human/sylvari and human/norn relationships or desired relationships throughout the game.

That said, however, there can be no such offspring.

My thoughts too Smekras, but Olaf Olafson does seem to indicate Norn-human is possible.

Olaf and his daughter are simply wrong. That’s all. Jeff Grubb confirmed that humans and norn cannot breed years ago.

Unfortunately the interview with said statement was taken down years ago too. It’s hard to preserve those things.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It is established canon lore that the player races cannot have halfbreeds with other player races (yes, even norn and human despite their similar look) and the same is true for most player races with non-player races.

Olaf and his daughter are simply wrong. That’s all. Jeff Grubb confirmed that humans and norn cannot breed years ago.

Unfortunately the interview with said statement was taken down years ago too. It’s hard to preserve those things.

Or, as a friend had the theory of, back then (because another Norn mentions how she must have Elonian blood :P), it was possible, but the children were all sterile. So it simply stopped happening. Because the interview really didn’t cover the past, simply put the foot down that GW2 era on there are no halfbreeds.

Of course, same interview also went and said “Hey, if you want to roleplay one, go for it. Just understand that it may not be accepted by everybody and isn’t officially canon.” :P

edit: Besides, I feel like this poster would go for the angst/drama of “Oh woe is me, I’m a half-breed and thus not accepted by either culture!”… Tyria is pretty laid back about a lot of things, so that might not happen even if officially their are no half-breeds.

(edited by Kalavier.1097)

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

250 years doesn’t allow enough time for genetics to change. The norn talking about having Elonian blood said so because she was cold.

I doubt that a race native to Tyria could breed with one not native to Tyria.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

If you were on Guru2 before release, you would know that this is called a sylcarri.

It’s been confirmed that interspecies romance doesn’t even exist,

This isn’t true. There are some cases of human/sylvari and human/norn relationships or desired relationships throughout the game.

That said, however, there can be no such offspring.

Did they not also say if an interview and game conflict, in game lore takes precedence? I will freely admit to misremembering the context though and am happy to be proved wrong.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

250 years doesn’t allow enough time for genetics to change. The norn talking about having Elonian blood said so because she was cold.

I doubt that a race native to Tyria could breed with one not native to Tyria.

In a fantasy realm? maybe.

Though the very nature of Norn make it hard for them to be cold typically :P.

However, that was a more of a point of a fan theory which makes both the “half breeds don’t exist” and that quest canon and sensible. And half of it is that said children would be sterile which would effectively stop it :P.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

speaking of sylvari-charr, am I the only one who gets the impression that Mordrem Vinetenders are Mordrem Charr?

they have digitigrade legs, horns, hunched backs, poiny teeth (in what appears to be an approximation of a muzzle), “hair” on the back of their necks like charr have, and maintain the mordrem equivalent of siege weaponry, the only thing they lack is a tail.

they are clearly not Mordrem Quetzal, but other than charr, there aren’t any other races in the jungle for mordremoth to copy that would result in that shape.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Did they not also say if an interview and game conflict, in game lore takes precedence? I will freely admit to misremembering the context though and am happy to be proved wrong.

Yeah, because Angel McCoy made a dozen mistakes in her interviews that were caught by we lore community, and ended up retconning Ree Soesbee with the claim of “it wasn’t documented on either internal or community wiki” (it was on the latter).

Before Angel took role as continuity designer, the game and interviews actually had continuity between them. So anything added before Jeff and Ree went MIA, IMO, remains cannon when not contradicted with retconning stuff like the Secondborn birth dates.

speaking of sylvari-charr, am I the only one who gets the impression that Mordrem Vinetenders are Mordrem Charr?

they have digitigrade legs, horns, hunched backs, poiny teeth (in what appears to be an approximation of a muzzle), “hair” on the back of their necks like charr have, and maintain the mordrem equivalent of siege weaponry, the only thing they lack is a tail.

they are clearly not Mordrem Quetzal, but other than charr, there aren’t any other races in the jungle for mordremoth to copy that would result in that shape.

That model is also called Mordrem Grunt, Mordrem Mender, and, get this, Mordrem Troll.

I take it those are the “copy-catting” mordrem version of trolls while the “hive trolls” are like the mordrem wolves – mordrem plants that are using corpses as puppets.

Dear ANet writers,

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clarification

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Calcifire.1864

Calcifire.1864

That model is also called Mordrem Grunt, Mordrem Mender, and, get this, Mordrem Troll.

I take it those are the “copy-catting” mordrem version of trolls while the “hive trolls” are like the mordrem wolves – mordrem plants that are using corpses as puppets.

I just checked ingame, they are not the same model (very noticable if you compare their target portraits), it’s similar, but the grunt is grey, has very different horns, and a different face (just compared against a grunt in jaka itzel when getting flax).

I’m speaking about the vinetenders in Dragon’s Stand, the light green ones that look like mordremoth can’t do lips well and protect the spitfires.

https://i.imgur.com/ED2b5Z5.png

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Doesn’t anet tend to reuse the body frames? Like tengu and charr have the same frame IIRC. I imagine karka, destroyer crabs, and chak all share the same frame.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

As far as I know, the races cannot interbreed, even the ones that look similar (like norn and humans) since they are fundamentally different (and species instead of races, but eh…).

On sylvari modeled after non-humans however, that’s entirely possible. the sylvari hounds are one variation, norn, charr, and asura themed ones don’t seem that far off the human model.

Jip they’re different species, what separates species is that they cannot produce viable offspring.
But we could get a Sylcarri if the Pale Tree decided to make Charr-shaped Sylvari, or if Mordy had corrupted a copy of Charr. Mind you those would still be Sylvari / Mordrem.

It’s been confirmed that interspecies romance doesn’t even exist, let alone such interactions between different races.

Still holding out hope for Braham/Rox XD

Or, as a friend had the theory of, back then (because another Norn mentions how she must have Elonian blood :P), it was possible, but the children were all sterile. So it simply stopped happening. Because the interview really didn’t cover the past, simply put the foot down that GW2 era on there are no halfbreeds.

Norn seem to have a completely separate genetic lineage. There isn’t a common ancestor as is the case with Ligers or Mules. Humans come from a completely different world. Norn might have a common ancestor with Jotun (or might be a offshoot of the Jotun but that’s merely speculation based off a throw away sentence from Thruln the Lost), but not with humans.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Yeah, because Angel McCoy made a dozen mistakes in her interviews that were caught by we lore community, and ended up retconning Ree Soesbee with the claim of “it wasn’t documented on either internal or community wiki” (it was on the latter).

Before Angel took role as continuity designer, the game and interviews actually had continuity between them. So anything added before Jeff and Ree went MIA, IMO, remains cannon when not contradicted with retconning stuff like the Secondborn birth dates.

Ah, okay, thanks for this clarification and the previous one too.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Doesn’t anet tend to reuse the body frames? Like tengu and charr have the same frame IIRC. I imagine karka, destroyer crabs, and chak all share the same frame.

Adult karka have unique skeletons. Young Karka share with Scuttlers and Air Elementals/Sparks. Hatchlings are unique skeletons too.

Dear ANet writers,

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

I think syvari are still sylvari unrelated to which form they take exactly. the only difference between the rest of the trees offspring (Ferndogs) and them is that they are self-aware and sentient.
so a sylvari in form of a sura or a charr would still be a sylvari.
it is not halfbreeding in my opinion.

interbreeding withing the breeds is not possible, and actually i think Tyria is not ready for Charrsura (poor asura girl, especially if the bits of male charr are similiar to that of a cat) or Asurorn. Human norn could also be a bit difficult, not only physically but also cultural. Humans are often smaller than Norn children.
Also, since Norn and Human originate from different planets, I suppose they’re genetically not compartible.
Norn interbreeding with Ogre, Jotun or even Kodan sounds more likely, since lorewise some in-game characters say the races are related, but A.net stated no interbreeding.

(edited by Oreithyia.3064)

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: arenta.2953

arenta.2953

human/char
human with char tail and ears?

plz =D

(furry fan for life)

Jade Quarry’s Tomoko Takei, Anabuki Tomoko, and Assassin Ahri

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Kulvar.1239

Kulvar.1239

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

It’s stated as impossible.
It would be horrible looking.
It would be horrible to make.
It would open an atrocious hideous ignominious unnatural oportunity for mongrels Charr-Asura-Sylvari-Hylek-Centaur-Ettin frankenstein monsters to exists.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

arenta.2953

It’s stated as impossible.
It would be horrible looking.
It would be horrible to make.
It would open an atrocious hideous ignominious unnatural oportunity for mongrels Charr-Asura-Sylvari-Hylek-Centaur-Ettin frankenstein monsters to exists.

…..asura +Ettin………..
hm…..

(imagines an evil mastermind asura with 2 super smart brains instead of one)

……perfect evil villan.

but i jsut want a human or asura with animal tail and ears

and thankfully. i an asura!

KREWE! GET THE CLONING MACHINE AND SOME DNA READERS.

i’ll go kidnap a human and a charr. and then we’ll make some furries!

MY GENIUS WILL BE RECOGNIZED BY ALL.

hm…neko or borderline…

Attachments:

(edited by arenta.2953)

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Louveepine.7630

Louveepine.7630

Anyway, and that’s science, the devs said that is not possible, there are too many different genomes between races to give birth for an half-blood like norn-sura, or Hooman-charr, or whatever.

This is science…. This is not possible.

and I find it a bit confusing … hum… berk…

In an other case , pets’ skins Outfits (GW2 familiar / monster ) … it can be funny.

# Asura because I’m worth it!

(edited by Louveepine.7630)

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

Norn interbreeding with Ogre, Jotun or even Kodan sounds more likely, since lorewise some in-game characters say the races are related, but A.net stated no interbreeding.

A: No stated relations with the Ogres as far as I know.
B: Jotun I don’t think have stated being related to Norn, just something along the lines that both races were among the great giants of the past.
C: Kodan theory about norn being an off-shoot of a lost tribe/haven/whatevertheycalltheirships is… a theory.

Really, there is no true evidence to point toward Norn being physically related to Kodan or Jotun (As in shared origins).

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

arenta.2953

Anyway, and that’s science, the devs said that is not possible, there are too many different genomes between races to give birth for an half-blood like norn-sura, or Hooman-charr, or whatever.

This is science…. This is not possible.

and I find it a bit confusing … hum… berk…

In an other case , pets’ skins Outfits (GW2 familiar / monster ) … it can be funny.

can i at least have a neko ear and tail costume set for my human o.0

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

A: No stated relations with the Ogres as far as I know.
B: Jotun I don’t think have stated being related to Norn, just something along the lines that both races were among the great giants of the past.
C: Kodan theory about norn being an off-shoot of a lost tribe/haven/whatevertheycalltheirships is… a theory.

Really, there is no true evidence to point toward Norn being physically related to Kodan or Jotun (As in shared origins).

I think he got the ogre bit from the statement that jotun and ogres are cousin races, and jotun are said to be related – or at least heavily implied – to norn in two cases.

And kodan call their ships sanctuaries.

I find a relation to jotun to be far more likely than to kodan. If Thrulnn’s claims of norn being around when magic was wild holds true (as supported by Ogden’s implication in S2E1’s final instance).

Dear ANet writers,

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

It’s been confirmed that interspecies romance doesn’t even exist, let alone such interactions between different races.

To me, having no romances between species at all would just be too completely unrealistic. The idea that multiple sentient and intellectually equal races are mingling socially and forming close friendship and companion bonds, but somehow not one single person ever has the desire to take that bond from platonic to romantic… people just don’t work that way. Regardless of how strong the cultural taboos are, there are always going to be a few outliers who will have those feelings and act on them.

Not being able to reproduce makes sense because the Tyrian races are so physically and genetically different, but having no romances at all crosses too far over my suspension of disbelief for me to accept, because even in a fantasy realm people should ultimately act like people.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

merpeople! mermaids!

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

It would be odd if there was no interspecies relationships in places like Lions Arch.
when NPC chatter in the older LA imply there was attraction to other species!
(like the line about sylvari/norn dancers from a human npc)

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Relations sure. Breeding no.

One – Piken Square

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

There’s quite a few events in the open world where we see individuals having romantic views for others of another species – usually it’s human/sylvari or human/norn, but there are a couple asura/sylvari coworkers that certainly give implications that more could be.

Dear ANet writers,

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

To me, having no romances between species at all would just be too completely unrealistic. The idea that multiple sentient and intellectually equal races are mingling socially and forming close friendship and companion bonds, but somehow not one single person ever has the desire to take that bond from platonic to romantic… people just don’t work that way. Regardless of how strong the cultural taboos are, there are always going to be a few outliers who will have those feelings and act on them.

Not being able to reproduce makes sense because the Tyrian races are so physically and genetically different, but having no romances at all crosses too far over my suspension of disbelief for me to accept, because even in a fantasy realm people should ultimately act like people.

As has been stated above, castlemanic is wrong in his statement. The opposite of what he said is true.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

I think he got the ogre bit from the statement that jotun and ogres are cousin races, and jotun are said to be related – or at least heavily implied – to norn in two cases.

And kodan call their ships sanctuaries.

I find a relation to jotun to be far more likely than to kodan. If Thrulnn’s claims of norn being around when magic was wild holds true (as supported by Ogden’s implication in S2E1’s final instance).

I’d have to look it up again(honestly haven’t read Thrulnn’s dialogue in a while), but I just remember Thrulnn’s line being more of a “Both our races ruled as giant-kings back then. Yours faired better then mine in the long run” Then a same/similar race origin.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: DietPepsi.4371

DietPepsi.4371

I’m gonna go ahead and say in short; no to this idea, and in long: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

For the same reason as stated before; interspecies breeding cannot happen, and personally I could not take it seriously for one minute. (excluding sylvari that just look like other races. That I could handle.)

Yes I stole Yahtzee’s joke.

You stand to benefit more from making friends than making enemies.

Also I hate my user ID.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

arenta.2953

asura experiments with mutations by combining 2 species DNA

where normal breeding wont work. science will make it work >=D

muahahahah

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Errant Venture.9371

Errant Venture.9371

Would half breeds be acceptable content for a future patch?

You’d really kitten off Professor Umbridge

The Battle Bakery [vPie]

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kulvar.1239

We still have trouble with tiger+lion because the pack instinct of the lion is conflicting with the solitary hunter instinct of the tiger, giving liger mental troubles…
And it’s a natural occuring interspecing with close species…

Unless you want a franken psychotic monster unable to live without artificial engines, it’s a dead end.

Also, experimenting things like that on intelligent creatures is forbidden by Rata Sum laws. No help, no recognition, no fundings.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Unless that funding came from the Inquest…

From memory, some of the dialogue around Thruln the Lost also implies that the Spirits may have played a part in preventing the norn from falling as far as the jotun. I have a suspicion that there’s an element of saying what he thinks his audience wants to hear in the Thruln’s stories, though.

That said, the line might only have been that the playable races can’t interbreed. Consider that the races that look the most similar are norn, humans, and sylvari, and they have very different origins as it turns out (humans are aliens, sylvari are infertile to begin with as far as we know…) – it’s possible that ogres and jotun, say, could.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

arenta.2953

We still have trouble with tiger+lion because the pack instinct of the lion is conflicting with the solitary hunter instinct of the tiger, giving liger mental troubles…
And it’s a natural occuring interspecing with close species…

Unless you want a franken psychotic monster unable to live without artificial engines, it’s a dead end.

Also, experimenting things like that on intelligent creatures is forbidden by Rata Sum laws. No help, no recognition, no fundings.

who said i live in rata sum?
i’m INQUEST. and yes, i have funding. (not all inquest are bad. its not like i hurt my subjects. i let them volunteer and even pay them.)

also lion + tiger? finished that weeks ago. turns out you needed a bit of wolf DNA to finish the mix.

human science is pathetic compared to my brilliance.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kulvar.1239

“Asura”, but failing to understand that the liger is a real life exemple…
38 chromosomes for lion & tiger / 78 chromosomes for wolf

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’d have to look it up again(honestly haven’t read Thrulnn’s dialogue in a while), but I just remember Thrulnn’s line being more of a “Both our races ruled as giant-kings back then. Yours faired better then mine in the long run” Then a same/similar race origin.

It’s really open to interpretation, IMO, especially given that we know not all of what Thrulnn says is true.

The matter is that both races are constantly attributed together in regards to ancient stories of the Elder Dragons, only briefly do dwarves get added into the equation – as if they are separate.

Dear ANet writers,

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

My only real question:

Why would you even want this?

These aren’t just genetic offshoots of the same species. A sylvari, charr, and human are more different from each other than a housefly, bonobo chimpanzee, and tyrannosaurus rex.

These aren’t halfbreeds you’re talking about. These would be abominations born from morally questionable acts akin to beastiality

In game my human character is great friends with a number of norn, charr, and asura. In real life I am great friends with a number of dogs, cats, and horses.

I have not once found the act of having those kind of relations with my animal friends even remotely appealing because it’s really gross

Similarly, I’d imagine even the basic concept is extremely distasteful at a core instinctual level to the sentient races of tyria.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Quendorsof.9316

Quendorsof.9316

My only real question:

These aren’t just genetic offshoots of the same species. A sylvari, charr, and human are more different from each other than a housefly, bonobo chimpanzee, and tyrannosaurus rex.

These aren’t halfbreeds you’re talking about. These would be abominations born from morally questionable acts akin to beastiality

In game my human character is great friends with a number of norn, charr, and asura. In real life I am great friends with a number of dogs, cats, and horses.

I have not once found the act of having those kind of relations with my animal friends even remotely appealing because it’s really gross

Similarly, I’d imagine even the basic concept is extremely distasteful at a core instinctual level to the sentient races of tyria.

Beastiality is considered extremely distasteful by most humans. that doesn’t mean there aren’t any outliers that still engage in it anyway.
Furthermore considering the hypothetical scenario of romance between two members of different species in GW2 presumably involves consent between two individuals of comparable capabilities to think I’d say it’s rather less immoral, if at all, than beastiality would be.
I’d think these would be the reasons why you would want to discuss whether or not it’d be possible and then come to the conclusion it wouldn’t be possible (aside from the hypothetical sylvari mimics that aren’t actually halfbreeds) to have halfbreeds, for various reasons mentioned by other people.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

My only real question:

Except we know there is interspecies romance and even interspecies sex in Tyria, whatever your thoughts on it are. It might not be common, be it is there.

Furthermore the comparison with dogs, cats and horses is just so far off that it is weird to bring up. If dogs, cats and horses were humanoid, had a civilization, were intelligent and could talk then the comparison would be apt, perhaps, but they are not intelligent, they are not humanoid in shape, they don’t have a civilization and they can’t talk. They might be genetically very different, but at least sylvari, norn and humans are in behavior, mental capabilities and general physical shape very similar.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

What do the funding procedures for krewes look like? I mean Norn hunt and forage for their survival, humans have some job or another (presumably whatever people in a medieval-ish European-ish society does), Sylvari… I guess similar to humans, Charr warbands are likely fed, housed and clothed by the Legions… but what about krewes? I mean most seem busy with research that has little to no commercial application, so do they have like a research grant system?
Oh wait that’s completely off topic…

“Asura”, but failing to understand that the liger is a real life exemple…

And zonkeys!

The matter is that both races are constantly attributed together in regards to ancient stories of the Elder Dragons, only briefly do dwarves get added into the equation – as if they are separate.

Two races of giants, living in the same geographic area… I can’t help but feel that they’re related, simply a matter of how far back.

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Anet says no interbreeding. Also, wouldn’t most Humans look like children to Norn? That’s probably a turn-off for the majority of them.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

arenta.2953

soon….

very soon…..

and she’ll be the first >=D

Asura will have tails! (i know i know..not what she ment. its a joke.)

Attachments:

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Posted by: Oreithyia.3064

Oreithyia.3064

Anet says no interbreeding. Also, wouldn’t most Humans look like children to Norn? That’s probably a turn-off for the majority of them.

this.
i think the very different size and anatomy (charrsura, Nornsura) will probably be a big turn off for the majority of the races.
not all, because there are always “weird people”.
But with these individuals, when they act on it, it is very likely that one of them ends up either dead or badly injured.
Norn for example are said to be much stronger than humans (to stick with one of the less gross examples) and they’re also said to having a culture of being pretty physical in showing their emotions since they’re robust and can easily handle it.
I think a human, male or female could easily crushed by the fierce way of the Norn showing their love, not to forget the body weight is a lot more.
A single Norn, lore-wise, is strong enough to defeat a whole charr warband. And charr are not weak either.
This problem would be even worse with Asura (eventhough Asura probably would find a golem-solution for that problem…I’m not sure if i wan to think about this).

Lets talk half breeds...

in Lore

Kalavier.1097

this.
i think the very different size and anatomy (charrsura, Nornsura) will probably be a big turn off for the majority of the races.
not all, because there are always “weird people”.
But with these individuals, when they act on it, it is very likely that one of them ends up either dead or badly injured.
Norn for example are said to be much stronger than humans (to stick with one of the less gross examples) and they’re also said to having a culture of being pretty physical in showing their emotions since they’re robust and can easily handle it.
I think a human, male or female could easily crushed by the fierce way of the Norn showing their love, not to forget the body weight is a lot more.
A single Norn, lore-wise, is strong enough to defeat a whole charr warband. And charr are not weak either.
This problem would be even worse with Asura (eventhough Asura probably would find a golem-solution for that problem…I’m not sure if i wan to think about this).

I’m just going to step in and mention the norn-human argument probably isn’t as serious as you may think.

To quote a similar debate about Spartan-human relations (the halo setting), where people were acting as if Spartans would possible kill/seriously wound their partner, it was revealed officially that a Spartan male and a baseline human female had a child successfully without any harm/injury.

Now, a norn and human won’t have a baby, but I think the chances of the norn seriously wounding or killing the human isn’t as great (though the weight thing is a bigger difference). Assuming said couple actually cares for each other and understands their limits.