Looks like the Norn can go home now

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

With Jormag sleeping the Norn and the Kodan should be able to return to their homes in the far Shiverpeaks.

in Lore

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

We’re not 100% sure that Jormag is also asleep, Taimi admitted as much herself, it is probably the case. More importantly though, we also don’t know how long they will stay asleep. Its rather unlikely that this is the last we’ve seen of either Elder Dragon. A mass migration back into the Far Shiverpeaks prematurely could and probably would get a lot of people killed.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Spoilers, obviously. It’s too early in the morning to figure out what I’m doing wrong with the tags, but you have been warned.

I’m… doubtful that it’ll be so easy. Zhaitan held on to Orr for ‘only’ 107 years, and four years of Pact effort later it seems there’s still no end to the risen in sight. Jormag had the Far Shiverpeaks for 165, and the norn aren’t nearly as organized as the Pact. And that’s assuming that Jormag is asleep. If our fiery friend was sucking up more of Primordus’ magic than Jormag’s, the ice dragon might have come out better off.

(The wild card is what we experienced in the instance. If it wasn’t just the destroyers near us who died, but all destroyers, everywhere? And the same thing happened to the icebrood? There might suddenly be a lot of free real estate up north.)

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

That would beg the question of why. Why would minions go inactive when their dragon is merely asleep but stay active when said dragon is dead?

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Not inactive, and not a result of sleep- when the machine booted up, all of the destroyers around us up and died. It’s possible that that was caused by leaking Jormag energies affecting the nearby area-or that mixing Jormag energies with Primordus radiated out to kill his minions as well, or that the shock of the procedure echoed back through the minion hive mind and caused fatal trauma, or that Primordus is different and his minions are created to die if they’re out of direct contact, or that killing a dragon through manipulating the All is different from killing a dragon through other means, or that Balthazar was able to use the machine to smite Primordus’ minions, or, or, or…

We’re in completely unprecedented territory here-thus wild card- but I think we can safely say that A.) enough things are different about what happened that we can’t expect the minions to respond the same way as they do when a dragon goes to sleep naturally, or when Zhaitan and Mordremoth died, and B.) that whatever happened to the destroyers around us would, under most explanations, also have happened to icebrood under the same conditions, since the process was supposed to go both ways.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Spoilers, obviously. It’s too early in the morning to figure out what I’m doing wrong with the tags, but you have been warned.

I’m… doubtful that it’ll be so easy. Zhaitan held on to Orr for ‘only’ 107 years, and four years of Pact effort later it seems there’s still no end to the risen in sight. Jormag had the Far Shiverpeaks for 165, and the norn aren’t nearly as organized as the Pact. And that’s assuming that Jormag is asleep. If our fiery friend was sucking up more of Primordus’ magic than Jormag’s, the ice dragon might have come out better off.

(The wild card is what we experienced in the instance. If it wasn’t just the destroyers near us who died, but all destroyers, everywhere? And the same thing happened to the icebrood? There might suddenly be a lot of free real estate up north.)

Actually, we have no idea what the changes in Orr are. The maps for us are time locked to a period before the cleansing. To us the area will always appear as it was before Zhaitan was killed.

The Norn’s migration will be a fairly natural one as the hunters look for new places to hunt. If Jormag has more magic, he would sleep longer than primordus.

in Lore

Posted by: SirMoogie.9263

SirMoogie.9263

Actually, we have no idea what the changes in Orr are. The maps for us are time locked to a period before the cleansing. To us the area will always appear as it was before Zhaitan was killed.

The maps are (regrettably) time locked in many respects. However, the living story and current events do give us updates. The recent Caladbolg Regrown current event had us hear this exchange:

Player Character: It’s been a while since I visited—how are things faring here in Orr?

Vigil Warmaster: With Zhaitan dead, we’ve made good progress clearing the rest of his army. It’s still a waterlogged wreck though. I wouldn’t invest in property here anytime soon if I were you, sir.

That instance showed some changes, but it was still water logged and the risen are clearly still alive, but in decline.

(edited by SirMoogie.9263)

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

Well, as alive as an undead dragon minion can be.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

Brahm is going to be so mad. I think he could kill a dormant dragon with how mad he is going to be… He already hates the commander…

in Lore

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I think possibly angering Brahm and taking away any chance of glory from his angsty suicide campaign is the highlight of this chapter. If I ended up wasting his time and making him look stupid to all his norn friends, that’s a win in my book.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Not inactive, and not a result of sleep- when the machine booted up, all of the destroyers around us up and died.

Didn’t the Destroyers live just fine without Primordus being awake back in Eye of the North? He was stirring, but iirc Primordus didn’t stir/awake until the final cinematic, after we had killed the Great Destroyer champion?

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Not inactive, and not a result of sleep- when the machine booted up, all of the destroyers around us up and died.

Didn’t the Destroyers live just fine without Primordus being awake back in Eye of the North? He was stirring, but iirc Primordus didn’t stir/awake until the final cinematic, after we had killed the Great Destroyer champion?

Killing the Great Destroyer did mess up their hive mind so the remainder were a lot easier to deal with, though. Once Primordus awakened completely, he may have made himself the nexus of the hive mind rather than relying on a champion – at least for those Destroyers that were physically closest to him (namely, those inside the volcano).

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

There’s also the matter that Primordus didn’t go into stasis, or true sleep. Only thing that happened is that the machine drained so much magic (wherever it is now) that primordus has receeded to a pre-awakened stage. But that doesn’t mean he’s gone fully back to sleep, he just needs to wait to recover enough magic to move again. I’d prefer to call him knocked out, rather than back to sleep

(fainted, instead of asleep)

(edited by Amaimon.7823)

in Lore

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

I believe a fitting term would be TKO; only it’s Taimi Knock-Out.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’m actually a bit curious about this:

Why did those destroyers suddenly die? Both mordrem and risen have remained after the deaths of their Elder Dragons, one being the death via weakness like Primordus and Jormag was being threatened by, and Primordus was only paralyzed at the time of all those destroyers’ deaths.

That would beg the question of why. Why would minions go inactive when their dragon is merely asleep but stay active when said dragon is dead?

Nothing actually has told us that their minions went inactive when the Elder Dragons slept. It could have been a centuries long war of attrition against them every time, until only a single champion lying in wait (their herald like the Great Destroyer) remained.

The Eye of the North manual even mentions destroyers as being a very real and current threat in the Depths, even before the Great Destroyer rose with an army in masse. So for all we know, those herald champions never did hibernate too (except Drakkar, being encased in ice and all) but simply waited patiently, acting only enough to not draw attention.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Why did those destroyers suddenly die? Both mordrem and risen have remained after the deaths of their Elder Dragons, one being the death via weakness like Primordus and Jormag was being threatened by, and Primordus was only paralyzed at the time of all those destroyers’ deaths.

Nothing actually has told us that their minions went inactive when the Elder Dragons slept. It could have been a centuries long war of attrition against them every time, until only a single champion lying in wait (their herald like the Great Destroyer) remained.

The Eye of the North manual even mentions destroyers as being a very real and current threat in the Depths, even before the Great Destroyer rose with an army in masse. So for all we know, those herald champions never did hibernate too (except Drakkar, being encased in ice and all) but simply waited patiently, acting only enough to not draw attention.

I am curious about this as well. I can posit a theory that the method of this particular forced hibernation (or whatever we are going to call it) by using Omadd’s machine with a god inside was similar in effect to the natural cycle ending, but the method itself being so unorthodox that there were some anomalies. In this case the anomalies being the destroyers going inactive where in the natural cycle perhaps they do not. That would need something in game to give this theory any weight though, and there is as of yet none.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

One other possibility, come to think on it, was that since the destroyers are made of Primordus’ magic, they have the same weakness to Jormag’s magic, but being considerably weaker than Primordus, it takes less to kill or incapacitate them. So them being knocked out may have had nothing directly to do with what was happening to Primordus, but simply that they were knocked out due to being too close to the first stream of Jormag magic pulled down by the device.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

Gorgaan Peaudesang.8324

I guess we’ll have to tell Braham about what Nochtli said…

Guild Wars 2 Wiki FR contributor

in Lore

The Greyhawk.9107

I meant specifically the destroyers in the volcano right before we confront Balthazar. With everything we’ve seen so far with EDs and their minions those destroyers shouldn’t have keeled over.

Hate is Fuel.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Those destroyers died long before Primordus went to sleep (if he did – subsiding to pre-awakening levels could just mean he’s stupidly weak now but still awake).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

but wasn’t he awake/conscious during the event. What if he killed off only the nearby Destroyers so he could have the magic and survive longer?