Lore-Matching Skritt Playable Race

in Lore

Posted by: pathaugen.6572

pathaugen.6572

Lore-wise, the Skritt can never be a playable race.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skritt

I however find their lore interesting and question if a group big enough can outsmart and outcraft the best Asuran minds..

Now Skritt as a playable race sounds impossible since they get smarter with more of them around, and are pretty stupid solo..

Concept artwork stolen from another game: Gibberlings

Basically a cluster of three that mingle together and act as one unit.

Would give the Asura a run for their cute animation money.

Armor:

Same as Asura, all three are outfitted – fits the small cute models just like Asura. No issues.

Weapons:

Single weapon like greatsword carried by all three – one holding the handle, two others carrying the blade around

Multi-hand weapons like axe and warhorn – one skritt has the horn, one the axe, and one just running around with them doing funny animations when actions are taken as the “empty handed one.”

When the horn is blown, the animation has the one holding the horn blowing it, the ‘main hand’ skritt stands there looking around in a Skritt like manner, and the empty handed one covers his/her ears and shakes.

Racial skills:

Any number of things involving junk/shiny things.

Pulling out a shiny orb blinding nearby foes is just a quick example.

Elite calling a swarm of more skritt to appear – digging up from underground with picks and mining gear – then the speech of the voice actor(s) for new elite skills 1-5 are intelligent sounding – “Take THAT you lumbering clod!” stealing asuran style, but you get the idea.

Many more ideas, but I thought I’d point out that even with the GW lore, Skritt can actually work.

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

I’m of the opinion that they can be a playable race, solo. Hear me out. I can back it up with lore.

One of the biggest problems we have is that they aren’t smart enough to learn magic alone. This is actually a big misunderstanding. Skritt don’t actually get ’smarter", as we know it. They just communicate at such high speeds that they can tackle a problem from multiple angles. but their intelligence remains the same. Their real problem is their ability to focus on a problem. But the more skritt are in the area the more potential there is to be one that can stay focused.

So, knowing this, we can undertsand how skritt can learn magic in large communities of skritt. And we actully see a guild bounty that may well be a skritt using mesmer magic. I forget the exact name but there was something about thae namie that said skritt and it’s in the form of an animal.

How would one skritt be able to do physical proffessions like warrior or guardian? Excellant question, I’m glad you asked. Anybody can be a warrior. All you have to do is swing a sword. And the guardians use the more innate magics that require less study so it makes more sense that a lone skritt might turn to that. Can one skritt typically go out and kill ettin at will? probably not. But neither could the average asura. or even the average human, for that matter. But not every warrior uses pure strength as we see with the weopns that focus on bleeds and such.

So both of the problems of physical capabilities and mental capabilities are taken care of according to the lore. the biggest i think being the mental cpabilities. Skritt aren’t stupid. they speak ‘stupidly’ becasue they assume we have access to the same information they do becasue they innately have the ability to get alot of information. And when they appear to get smarter, they are really only applying a large enough degree of focus from a large enough number of skritt to solve a large problem. Single skritt an still solve problems fit for a single individual. They just need to maitain focus. granted, not all have a large capacity for focus but then, playable characters are above average as well.

in Lore

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I agree that it’s just a matter of focus. I think the skritt don’t use magic only because they’re not interested in it. That’s a good thing for the rest of us. The way I see it, their reckless inquisitiveness and unique communication skills means they wouldn’t be afraid to try things and could spread their findings faster than we spread gossip. An entire colony could theoretically become masters of every discipline literally overnight, if they don’t blow half the planet up in the process.

in Lore

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

Oh gods, not Gibberlings haha.

Although my beautiful, mindflaying, walking corpse certainly enjoyed butchering thousands of the little darlings in the pvp side of things. Do not want to see that kind of trio in Tyria.

Some Skritt are smart enough to move around and work independently. I think the only reason we’re not going to get them is because they’ve been confirmed to be a “lesser” race in the personal story.

Don’t get me wrong I still really, really, really want to play as a skritt. Just without the Gibberling angle :P

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Found it. Tricksy Trekka!

The skritt Mesmer: Guild bounty.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tricksy_Trekksa

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

Yeah, people think single skritt are dumb, but lone skritt can survive alone AND we see lone skritt being used as assistants and mess angers for some Asura and lionguard.

I actually think that theory is pretty cool, how it’s not intellignce, but focus that limits them, and how they are so used to Skritt and their form of information sharing, they’d naturally just think others can do it. While the ones in Skrittsburgh have enough focus/learning they can actually talk pretty decently.

I agree with them being able (with work) to be a player race, but the ’group of three and gear is split across them animation wise) just…. no.

in Lore

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Bookworm Bwikki is pretty smart too. Have you seen his paper filled with squiggles?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Bookworm Bwikki is pretty smart too. Have you seen his paper filled with squiggles?

*her. :P

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Dustfinger.9510

Ooo! And Bookworm Bwikki, the skritt elementalist. Good find.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bookworm_Bwikki