Lore?...

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: siralius.9517

siralius.9517

There is no “lore” in gw2. Its fragmented pieces of what could be lore in the form of “living stories” and your characters own “personal story”. However, in reality, there is nothing immersing about GW2. Entire maps are absolutely dead unless there is a Champ train or, at one point, when ppl were interested, the fps dropping “Scarlett invasion”.
One goes around to hearts and kills mobs to fill the quota of deaths needed and moves on to the next heart; thats if you actually feel like taking the long, lonesome journey of leveling through mapping. There is no engaging aspect to completing these hearts or the npc’s that provide these hearts.
GW2 is a great game, aesthetically, somewhat combat-wise as well but it just falls miserably short when it comes to engaging a player in their story. Sorry but that’s where I’m at on this subject.

I’m just going with the flow.
Let’s make it “Casual Friday” errday.

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet you still felt the need to find this forum and post a long, pointless and blatantly false thread?
Feel free to not like the lore, but no need to spam the forum about it, especially since you clearly have no actual suggestions to solve it.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

What do you need from GW2 in order to count as lore?

Lore?...

in Lore

siralius.9517

Question for anyone on here posting “I’m mad” posts; when’s the last time anyone of you went around the world just for the heck of it, exploring the maps and taking in the “lore”?

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: sAdam.5876

sAdam.5876

More of repeating of known facts but there are lots of lore. Truth be told the best parts are connected to GW1 lore but still. Examples can be: Floating castle in Kessex Hills, White Mantles, fate of bloodstones, Ghosts of ascalon, Zephirits and what happened with Glint’s child.
From more recent lore we got mystery of Mr.E (sry for bad pun), all things connected to Dragons, CoughScarletCough and of course politics of races.

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

personally, going around the maps exploring the lore is most of what I do. We have 250 years of lore since GW1. We have 250 years of intertwining lore between the playable races. We have pre GW1 lore that gets “revieled”. We have interwining lore between the playable races and the non-playable races. And the living story is a guarantee of continual current lore that adds to the past lore.

“One goes around to hearts and kills mobs to fill the quota of deaths needed and moves on to the next heart; thats if you actually feel like taking the long, lonesome journey of leveling through mapping. There is no engaging aspect to completing these hearts or the npc’s that provide these hearts.”

This is the problem. If you don’t care about the lore and decide to skip it all, you can’t rightly complain that it isn’t there.

(edited by Dustfinger.9510)

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

This weekend I was walking to some places for the sake of it, then I entered the The Dead End in DR and I just found out that there is a new dialog among Rox, Braham, Marjory and Kasmeer and a quite enjoyable one.

I can agree that the GW2 storytelling could be much better, the potential is immense, but the current story is far from bad or non existent as you claim.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Lore?...

in Lore

siralius.9517

I will admit that I did not express well what I was really trying to say. For that I do apologize. What I mean to state about the lore in GW2 is that the implementation of it and the LURE of that lore is ABSOLUTELY abysmal. The lore is indeed there in GW2, however, there is a half hearted attempt at reaching out to the player and saying, “HERE I AM! Be fascinated”! This seems like such a simple task implemented by other mmo’s in such a way that it almost appears default. In GW2, they just can’t seem to get it right.

Lore?...

in Lore

Belzebu.3912

In that aspect I kinda agree, Anet made made mistakes on how to present the lore/story to players.
Many great stories of the GW2 events was only posted in their website instead of show it in game somehow, the almost exclusive use of mail to alert the players to new events/LS is also pretty lazy, among other fails. Hopefully they learned with the last year and the next “season” of LS will be much better.

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

When I read the OP, I read:

“QQ There isn’t enough people spread out and about, there isn’t enough to do.”

To which, I concur. But that’s not lore.

And to your last post, siralius: you’re not wrong. But you’re not entirely right. There are some points, but sadly it requires you to chose the right personal storyline combinations and be at the right places at the right time elsewhere. There is outreaching lore that can interest folks, but indeed a lot of it is very kitten. And I would say that about the game in general, truth be told, not just the telling of the lore. It was obvious since the get go, but now a year later the novelty of the game has ended and the constant LS releases have slowed so people are now starting to see it.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

GW2 has a slightly different take to many MMOs. The stories are mostly about the world as it is currently exists, so the events about separatists preventing a peace treaty, svarnir recruiting soldiers, asura experimenting on skritt, and so on. Two NPCs and a couple of books might tell you the history of the centaur wars but you’ll see over twenty events showing the war in motion and how it affects the humans. That’s just how GW2 is.

If you prefer reading a page of history about a farm before someone gives you a quest to collect 10 potatoes then perhaps GW2 isn’t for you.

Lore?...

in Lore

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

This weekend I was walking to some places for the sake of it, then I entered the The Dead End in DR and I just found out that there is a new dialog among Rox, Braham, Marjory and Kasmeer and a quite enjoyable one.

thanks for reminding me… is that still there? i wanted to check the new quips out

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Lore?...

in Lore

Belzebu.3912

thanks for reminding me… is that still there? i wanted to check the new quips out

I believe it will be there until the next LS update.