Love triangles make for great drama/story

in Lore

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

GW2 is a grown up game. As such, there’s a lot of grown up themes present. Transgender NPC. Homosexual heroes. Death and destruction. But with all the possible storylines out there, Anet’s missing the Love Triangle.

In story writing, the Love Triangle arc gives the present story more depth. Normal couple dramas are stuck with just “Hero A” and “Hero B”. For example – Caithe and Faolain or Jory and Kas. Something happens to one person, and the outcomes are limited to a break up, distance and reconciliation, or the metamorphosis from couple to protagonist and antagonist. That’s it. Sure a good writer can take a path and mold new stories from these options, but let’s look at triangles.

There are different versions of a Love Triangle.

• “Hero A” and “Hero B” are interested in “Hero C”, but C stays neutral. This creates the rivalry between A and B.
  • “Hero A” likes “Hero B”, who likes “Hero C”, who likes “Hero A”. This creates the proverbial dog chasing his tail.
  • “Hero A” and “Hero B” like “Hero C”, who in turn likes both equally. This becomes a complicated cheating drama.
  • “Hero A, B, and C” all love each other. This would be reserved for underground fan fics since there isn’t much drama to be had.
  • “Hero A and B” are a couple, but “Hero C” likes one of them. dun Dun DUN.

There are so many ways a writer could play this out. So now the idea for upcoming Living Stories. Caithe currently has no love interest with Faolain gone. Glint’s egg is safe, so her Wyld Hunt is complete. Why not give Caithe a new Wyld Hunt to do: Kasmeer.

The same-sex story is already written into lore, so this wouldn’t be a taboo idea. In fact, this could actually get more people interested in the GW2 universe storylines. Nothing captures an audience’s attention that juicy drama. With the correctly used animated cut-scenes, it would definitely give this story great replay value.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Lore

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Changed my mind, sorry for the snark, trying to be more diplomatic

(edited by CMM.6712)

in Lore

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Let’s go ahead and lock this now, ya know it is coming soon.

Would you have preferred a Rytlock x Logan x Jenna triangle?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

in Lore

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I’d prefer to leave the romance/politics/over the top drama out and hear more about history and lore and a fantasy world, not a game world trying to emulate the real world I am attempting to escape from.

in Lore

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

oh look another one of these threads.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Lore

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Uh no, its how the story is told is what makes it good no soap opera.

in Lore

Posted by: Telemin.7380

Telemin.7380

GW2 is a grown up game.

I am sure you know this, but GW2 is rated T for Teen.

And a linking to the ESRB site to boot.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=32125&Title=Guild+Wars+2

Teh Ouchies

in Lore

Posted by: Onlysaneman.9612

Onlysaneman.9612

Please, no. This is a trope I’ve seen a number of times before, and have almost universally disliked it. This is the kind of thing that takes someone clever to do it right, so as to avoid it coming off as cliched and soap-opera-ish.

Furthermore, there really isn’t a whole lot of room for it to work in the scope of the current story. We play the Pact commander, a character with few personal connections themselves. Given how they’ve treated the commander over the past stories, I can’t imagine they’d be the focus in this subplot. That means that they’d likely hand over the plot to some members of the supporting cast, be they members of DE 2.0 or otherwise. Let me tell you, if a significant portion of the story were spent on other characters having a love triangle, my immediate thought would not be: “Ooh, look at this dramatic tension. I’d better get some popcorn.” More likely would be: “Can you all just stop and focus on the dragon and/or White Mantle stabbing for five minutes so we don’t all die?”

Sorry mate, but I just don’t think the GW2 story is the place to look for this kind of plot. It would be far too sudden a shift in tone and style.

in Lore

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

I have never liked love triangles. I don’t think they ever add anything to storytelling other than pointless drama that serves no real purpose other than to take up space

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

I don’t really care so much about what stories are being told (well.. within a certain scope) but I care about how stories are told. Love triangles can be good or bad depending on how they are written, just like any other story.

in Lore

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

Nothing against a good ol’ love triangle if it makes sense in the story. If it’s forced it will turn into

Attachments:

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

We all know this is already ingame. Rytlock is such a big tsundere for it not to be.

in Lore

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yep that’s just what I was thinking. He needs to learn to leave ANet to the writing, they really don’t need his help.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Lore

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

I am going to say this as blunt as a hammer:

I dont want love or romance in a fantasy game about dragons, world destruction and chaos, it just feels out of place and forced in for cheese sake.

Maybe in a novel, or something off-the-games viewing thats fine, but romantic drama has no place in the game itself its been alot more harmful to it than helpful in the past.

in Lore

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Really? A love triangle? What’s next? Rytlock finding out that Almorra is his long lost mother? Zojja waking up from her coma and pointing at the one who did this to her? Logan going to Cantha to “study” and being replaced by a generic other guy named Trevor?

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

in Lore

Posted by: Nero.8047

Nero.8047

Yep that’s just what I was thinking. He needs to learn to leave ANet to the writing, they really don’t need his help.

I’m autistic, why is there no NPC to showcase my “struggles”?
I want a Sylvari NPC who prefers to live in solitude because others simply don’t seem to act logically in all situations.
I want this NPC to be presented well though, preferebly to be made a part of the biconics because this is all really important and affects a lot of players!

To the OP:
I’m honestly sorry Smooth Penguin.
I may be making fun of all this but in my honest opinion I’m just tired of all these threads.
It’s nothing personal but you just begin to appear as a troll to me.
Every week a new thread like this pops up:

• “X” is being discriminated because “Y”!
  • “X” is great and should be represented more.
  • Why isn’t there more love for "X"s and "Y"s?

Representation is fine, but representation due to the clear indication of “why” this is represented is much alike putting the subject on a pedestal.
Instead of leading towards acceptance you’ll create exceptions and draw attention to these.

I am sorry if I’ve offended you or anyone else of the LGBTQQIA+ community. (or any other minorities for that matter.)
I’m not trying to create an argument or offend anyone but I hope you can understand that there will always be some minority that isn’t represented or somehow misrepresented.

I just want to know as a final question to you, Smooth penguin:
Why do you open all these topics?

• Do you really hope for equality and acceptance?
  • Do you really feel Guild Wars 2 is so offensive to those who aren’t represented?
Paragon of the Seraphim Order [Ankh]
a small, casual Guild with a play as you want style.

in Lore

Posted by: Dawanarth.4601

Dawanarth.4601

They make the greatest or the worst, so I prefere not to have to listen to love struggle when we are about to kill a beast or an ED that make every thing pass on the second plan (Yes I am talking about you Twilight).