Major Zephyrite Lore Plothole?

in Lore

Posted by: Vorenyx.5804

Vorenyx.5804

I was reviewing the latest story that Angel had posted on the Guild Wars 2 page, and I quote, “I know now what great value there is in her crystal remains. Holding a portion of her in my hand, I was able to walk on the wind, ride the lightning, and channel the sun to my will. We will take her back with us and build a new sanctum where we can rise above the mundane violence of the world. There, we will foster peace and seed the crystals we make with touches of her magic, so that others too can experience her legacy.” Which took place in 1320, according to the story.

This contradicts the information we know about them ingame, and on the wiki, which I quote, “The Zephyrites built the ship long ago after the humans took guardianship from the dwarves and discovered the Aspects. The ship was built so the Zephyrites could study the aspects in peace. The Zephyrites have lived on the ship for centuries.”

Is there something I’m missing here?

in Lore

Posted by: kerona.3465

kerona.3465

I had the same reaction upon reading it. The time is all skewed.

Maguuma [PYRO]
Oblyth, Mes ~ Nadeshiko Naito, War ~ Hwertu, Gua
Evenree, Necro (M) ~ Ran Still Died, Thief

in Lore

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i just alt tabbed from the gtame to post this. one (adult) NPC is like “i’ve never touched land before, can’t wait for it”. but the ship is, at most, 6 years old. WTF?

i mean, does it hurt to pay attention to the lore you’re building? it’s not even contradicting old lore dug up by some players, it’s contradicting less than a week old info that you just published.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Lore

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

“Scribe’s Note: The following journal page was retrieved, undoubtedly without permission, from the Zephyr Sanctum, and in 1326 it came into the hands of the Durmand Priory. The author remains unidentified, and the veracity and authenticity of this account has not been verified. Believe at your own risk.”

That is written at the very top of the page. It is entirely possible that it is meant to introduce us to the fact that something isn’t quite right about the Zephyrites and they aren’t being truthful about what they’re up to..

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

“…with us and build a new sanctum.”

It is possible they had one before and the Zephyr Sanctum is an improved, newer one.

in Lore

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I fully believe they are spreading misinformation on purpose. A “red herring” or “goose chase” if you will. It’s obvious there is more to them then they let on.

One merchant for example says they have been warned about you. By who exactly, and why?

I kind of think they plan to resurrect Glint in some form, but that’s my own personal and probably flawed theory.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Well, now that it seems to have been confirmed that they’re the heirs to the Brotherhood, that means they likely know about Glint’s offspring from Eye of the North…

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Technically, as far as I know, there isn’t a single mention of the ship being made a long time ago. And even then, the Zephyr Sanctum could have existed for a long time, just not as a flying ship.

Wiki shouldn’t be taken for granted. The best we had was that the Pale Tree heard of it, but no sylvari had been on it. But this doesn’t mean it was centuries old.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

“…with us and build a new sanctum.”

It is possible they had one before and the Zephyr Sanctum is an improved, newer one.

the full quote: “We will take her back with us and build a new sanctum where we can rise above the mundane violence of the world.

implying that the first flying zephyr sanctum is post-glint. which means all those people acting like they’ve never seen the ground are walking plotholes. plus, you don’t get sand on your face far above the clouds just because you’re in a desert.

One merchant for example says they have been warned about you. By who exactly, and why?

ignoring the short story recently released (which would mean this merchant shouldn’t be so out of touch from society) and taking the in-game version of the sanctum’s lore, the zephyrites fly around in their giant buddhist temple, practicing their meditations and aspects and stuff, but they’re not all born in the sanctum. should someone find them and decide to join, they’re free to do so (one NPC at the sanctum mentions it).

so the “who” from your question could be anyone from the zephyrites that lived in normal society before taking it up to the skies. considering they were kitten ed off with society enough to ragequit it and fly away, i’d imagine they wouldn’t have the nicest comments to say.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

what annoys me is the inconsistencies in the writing throughout the whole thing.

• you got the priory, which didn’t even seem certain that the zephyrites existed, and they’re the most knowledgeable people on tyria.
  • you got magnus, who not only knows the zephyrites are not a myth, but is aware of multiple (failed) attempts to commercialize with them because of their rare crystals
  • you got the zephyrites acting as if seeing land is the most insane thing ever, and many claim to have never stepped on land before, only heard stories of it.
  • you got other zephyrites claiming they used to live a normal life, but decided to join the zephyrites for one reason or another, and successfully did so. how did they even do that without the priory (or anyone) finding out about this huge ship recruiting people left and right? and how did people get on it without the others getting close to land?
  • and finally, you got the just-released short story that provides evidence that the flying sanctum is no more than 6 years old.

in Lore

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Another explanation, is that a group of Zephyrites left the original Sanctum to investigate Glint’s death. They weren’t use to the Crystal Desert’s heat or aridness, since they have been living in the clouds, and that’s why they were seemingly near death throughout the trek. Once they collected her crystal corpse, they were going to use it, and its power, to make a new sanctum.

When I read it, that’s what I got out of it anyway. That’s only my personal opinion though. As FlamingFoxx pointed out, the scribe’s note put a huge disclaimer on these story. “Warning!: This story has not been verified, so this story may or may not be true or accurate.”

The part I found more interesting was the, “Dragons consume magic, but they do not destroy it. They hold it within themselves like a sponge holds water. I only hope we’re faster than the scavengers and power-mongers who would use her body to advance their own evil or selfish plots.” part.

We have countless dragon champions and an Elder Dragon dead. Do we know where all their huge magically latent corpses are at? Now that we know their body parts can be used for all sorts of different type of magics, even after their death?

(edited by Erukk.1408)

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Another explanation, is that a group of Zephyrites left the original Sanctum to investigate Glint’s death. They weren’t use to the Crystal Desert’s heat or aridness, since they have been living in the clouds, and that’s why they were seemingly near death throughout the trek. Once they collected her crystal corpse, they were going to use it, and its power, to make a new sanctum.

When I read it, that’s what I got out of it anyway. That’s only my personal opinion though. As FlamingFoxx pointed out, the scribe’s note put a huge disclaimer on these story. “Warning!: This story has not been verified, so this story may or may not be true or accurate.”

The part I found more interesting was the, “Dragons consume magic, but they do not destroy it. They hold it within themselves like a sponge holds water. I only hope we’re faster than the scavengers and power-mongers who would use her body to advance their own evil or selfish plots.” part.

We have countless dragon champions and an Elder Dragon dead. Do we know where all their huge magically latent corpses are at? Now that we know their body parts can be used for all sorts of different type of magics, even after their death?

well the shatterer blows up, and i think you can walk to where he dies. though all you’d see are corruption crystals, since he’s just a big pile of that, much like the claws of jormag are magically enchanted ice to look and behave like dragons.

as for the sanctum, it makes it sound like they used glint’s power to keep it afloat (or at least to build it). the wording there definitely gives the impression that they only decided that they’d move around on a flying sanctum after recovering glint’s body.

(edited by BrunoBRS.5178)

in Lore

Posted by: Coyote.1847

Coyote.1847

“Our predecessors, the dwarven Brotherhood, knew she was different. They forged an alliance with her and let her into their minds. They guarded her legacy for as long as they could, but sadly, their race was not to live forever. Destiny decided otherwise, and thus the torch was passed to my ancestors. We hid ourselves away for hundreds of years, helping her as we could and keeping her secrets.”
They got the ship after the dwarves passed.
Glint dies in 1320 and Destinies Edge disbands. Zephyr Sanctum shows up six years later and loots her corpse.
They were already were studying aspects before glint, as she’s not the ONLY source of them. She just made their job easier.

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

It said he could use the aspects at will. This might mean they could use the Aspects before but not as easily, requiring more ritual or such.

As for the Zephyr Sanctum, Id suspect by that that the Sanctum we see could be quite new. Its quite possible that their is more to the Sanctum than we have seen. Certainly I think its likely that they have secrets hidden away and would quite likely hide them in the sky to keep them safe.

I think without Dev clarafication its hard to be sure on the truth. It wouldnt suprise me that traders might know more than the Priory cause its perfectly possible they have avoided anyone they feel could unearth their secrets. It also doesnt say that their recruits even come from Tyria.

Im still feel that the existance of Sky Pirates and a floating Sanctum, potentially housing the magically charged remains of Glint and her secrets may be connected.

On the other hand, I wonder if we can relate this story to Kralkatorik’s power and the Brandstorm. Perhaps the secret to overcoming the powers of Kralkatorik lie with Zephyrites.

in Lore

Posted by: Tikky.6231

Tikky.6231

Other possibility:
“Zephyr Sanctum” could be just a name to refer to the airship, with the actual sanctum being something separate, something on the ship. What if this “sanctum” is not so much a place, but something like… a collection of books/scrolls/artifacts kept safe? A collection that was brought from place to place, as they remained hidden, and is now carried on that ship? It’s not hard to imagine that the ship itself would eventually be referred to as the Sanctum as well, even if it (the sanctum) may have originally been just a collection of items with information essential for (as someone else suggested) taking down Kralkatorik, or maybe all the elder dragons.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

• you got the priory, which didn’t even seem certain that the zephyrites existed, and they’re the most knowledgeable people on tyria.

Source please, because LOR-478 merely states that the Zephyr Sanctum is unstudied and that their records state that the Zephyrites are of Canthan or Elonian descent. These records are clearly false or incomplete, but no where have I seen it said that the Priory didn’t even know they existed.

• you got the zephyrites acting as if seeing land is the most insane thing ever, and many claim to have never stepped on land before, only heard stories of it.

People keep saying this, but I haven’t seen such.

I’ve seen only two things which could hint at such: Dawn complains about being used to more humidity so her skin is drying out, and a sylvari mentions that no sylvari have met the Zephyrites before.

• you got other zephyrites claiming they used to live a normal life, but decided to join the zephyrites for one reason or another, and successfully did so. how did they even do that without the priory (or anyone) finding out about this huge ship recruiting people left and right? and how did people get on it without the others getting close to land?

It’s explicitly stated that the Zephyr Sanctum makes stops to cities to resupply. They don’t recruit, but accept on-comers with open arms. There’s a big difference. For all we know, their resupplying could be a small ship landing in a hidden space and the people walking to the city to buy things.

And again, what’s said is that the Priory does know of the Zephyr Sanctum, but doesn’t have much information on it. That’s a huge difference.

• and finally, you got the just-released short story that provides evidence that the flying sanctum is no more than 6 years old.

However, they 1) had a sanctum, 2) have been in hiding for hundreds of years (no more than 200 I’d imagine), and 3) as such were isolated from the rest of the world.

PEOPLE, there’s not as many plotholes as you’re convincing yourself of there being! And if I am wrong, please provide your sources. Because I’ve looked through everything and haven’t seen a single NPC state he or she never touched land, or that the Zephyrites have been in the skies for centuries – nothing beyond the wiki’s fan entry by Relyk whom himself admitted that he wasn’t clear on the lore.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Yeah seems like it fits fine to me. They had a previous sanctum which could of been an airship aswell, just not quite as advanced as the new one.

in Lore

BrunoBRS.5178

Source please, because LOR-478 merely states that the Zephyr Sanctum is unstudied and that their records state that the Zephyrites are of Canthan or Elonian descent. These records are clearly false or incomplete, but no where have I seen it said that the Priory didn’t even know they existed.

People keep saying this, but I haven’t seen such.

I’ve seen only two things which could hint at such: Dawn complains about being used to more humidity so her skin is drying out, and a sylvari mentions that no sylvari have met the Zephyrites before.

It’s explicitly stated that the Zephyr Sanctum makes stops to cities to resupply. They don’t recruit, but accept on-comers with open arms. There’s a big difference. For all we know, their resupplying could be a small ship landing in a hidden space and the people walking to the city to buy things.

And again, what’s said is that the Priory does know of the Zephyr Sanctum, but doesn’t have much information on it. That’s a huge difference.

However, they 1) had a sanctum, 2) have been in hiding for hundreds of years (no more than 200 I’d imagine), and 3) as such were isolated from the rest of the world.

PEOPLE, there’s not as many plotholes as you’re convincing yourself of there being! And if I am wrong, please provide your sources. Because I’ve looked through everything and haven’t seen a single NPC state he or she never touched land, or that the Zephyrites have been in the skies for centuries – nothing beyond the wiki’s fan entry by Relyk whom himself admitted that he wasn’t clear on the lore.

first source: there’s a priory sylvari on the ship that states something along the lines of “many doubted it even existed, and now i get to stand on it!”. basically, most of the priory thought the zephyrites were just a fairy tale, because there were too few records and all of them unproved. kinda like how a scientist will doubt reported miracles, the priory doubts the zephyrites. or used to.

second source: right next to the sanctum sprint NPC, there’s an NPC that every now and then says that line i just mentioned. she says she’s never seen land before, and she’s clearly older than 6.

third quote: fair enough, but i still find it hard to believe that no one would’ve found out, or that many of the zephyrites born in the sanctum wouldn’t even bother stepping out of the ship, and then act all excited when they publicly land. the priory only has scarce reports of it, just like in the real world you have reports of big foot and nessie.

fourth quote: yes of course they had a sanctum, but not a flying one. that’s what annoys me. the story makes it sound that they took it to the skies after seeing glint’s body (possibly even with the aid of her magic), but various NPCs talk as if land was a foreign concept.

the problem with proving these sources is that they’re randomly triggered NPC dialogues, so unless you’re willing to stick around the sanctum for an hour or two, you’ll miss out on those lines.

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

To bad we drained Zitan magic to kill him otherwise he would have been a treasure trove of power to slay other elder dragons. I reference zitain the body found. after u slay him u can jump off the aircraft you used and swim and see his body and other dragon champions u slay during the battle.

things i want to note are:
Dragons are more powerful then gods. We know this because the human gods are cowering in fear leaving the dirty work to us.

Dragons are drawn towards sources of magic

Why isn’t a dragon flying towards Zitains corpse because it has no magic. Why doesn’t a lesser dragon eat Zitain to become and elder dragon.

Why didn’t Kraggy eat Glints corpse it it had magic in it all consuming hunger and all which would have given Rylock time to kill it.

(edited by Fafnir.5124)

in Lore

Posted by: Brave Sir Ryan.1240

Brave Sir Ryan.1240

“many doubted it even existed, and now i get to stand on it!”. Why would anyone feel the it in this quote refers to the zephyrites? This clearly refers to the new ship.

As for the land thing, remember that zephyr means wind, these were clearly people of air. “Zenith” means above the highest point in a sphere, often used in games with cloud people. Given those two things, along with the irritation at the desert, it’s very likely that the previous sanctum was somewhere high up. It’s very possible they wouldn’t have seen ground even if they weren’t flying.

in Lore

Posted by: Alex the Precise.3654

Alex the Precise.3654

They may have had flying ships for awhile but this new one is more advanced. Easier to sail and land. When does it say that old sanctums couldn’t fly? When she says that they will rise above the mundane violence of the world? Couldn’t that be more of a metaphorical statement concerning their ability to “rise above” or become better than the rest of the world? Another theory could be that they were a seafaring people before their new ship. They could have had sanctuary like ships out in the ocean explaining how they could reach the crystal desert and have contact with Lion’s Arch. This would have connections with the dwarves who seemed to be excellent sailors. As to the Priory’s knowledge of the Zephyrites, all we have on their supposed lack of information on them is an NPC who states that other members thought that they were a myth. We have to remember that Tyria isn’t a world with the internet or television. Information spreads slower and even if members of the priory have had interactions in the past, would they have much credibility? A tale about magical sky people in their flying city seems like a stretch. I can see Gixx just scoffing at the poor explorers who brought back reports on the Zephyrites.

in Lore

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

At least the community finally starts to undertsand that story writing and in-game implementations aren’t exactly the same or seem logical compared to what we know from one of these components. But now the sotry behind in-game things is just completely different.

And the thing at start “these maybe not true” is just a very bad excuse for not taking time to check on the background of what are you writing about.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

first source: there’s a priory sylvari on the ship that states something along the lines of “many doubted it even existed, and now i get to stand on it!”. basically, most of the priory thought the zephyrites were just a fairy tale, because there were too few records and all of them unproved. kinda like how a scientist will doubt reported miracles, the priory doubts the zephyrites. or used to.

second source: right next to the sanctum sprint NPC, there’s an NPC that every now and then says that line i just mentioned. she says she’s never seen land before, and she’s clearly older than 6.

third quote: fair enough, but i still find it hard to believe that no one would’ve found out, or that many of the zephyrites born in the sanctum wouldn’t even bother stepping out of the ship, and then act all excited when they publicly land. the priory only has scarce reports of it, just like in the real world you have reports of big foot and nessie.

fourth quote: yes of course they had a sanctum, but not a flying one. that’s what annoys me. the story makes it sound that they took it to the skies after seeing glint’s body (possibly even with the aid of her magic), but various NPCs talk as if land was a foreign concept.

the problem with proving these sources is that they’re randomly triggered NPC dialogues, so unless you’re willing to stick around the sanctum for an hour or two, you’ll miss out on those lines.

Okay, here’s your problem Brunos:

The sylvari is talking about Zephyr Sanctum, LOR-478 and Magnus is talking about the Zephyrites.

In other words: People know of the Zephyrites, but there’s not much known of them (as, per the short story, they’ve been in hiding for centuries); people barely know of the Zephyr Sanctum, the one of many ships that the Zephyrites have.

For the second point, you’re making the mistake of believing that the “new sanctum” is the only one that the Zephyrites had to live in the sky. As mentioned, there are many ships, and even now only one touches down. It is likely that there is only one ship for each resupplying that lands, and even then, it is still possible that the old sanctum was in a humid or high-off-the-ground location, even if it was just a floating rock like Wizard’s Tower.

For the third point, again, it’s a fleet. So it is possible that Zephyrites born on the fleet wouldn’t ever have the chance until their specific ship is the one to touch down. As for no one finding out, again the fleet may be known but not necessarily Zephyr Sanctum – or alternatively, the cities made mention would be non-Tyrian, as the Zephyrites are not bound to Tyria like everyone else.

For the fourth point, again, where does it say it wasn’t flying. All that’s said about the new sanctum, the name of which isn’t even given so it may not be Zephyr Sanctum being referenced, is that it’ll be “above the mundane violence of the world”. This may mean that they have been flying in the air for some time, but thanks to Glint’s corpse, they can now go higher up and utterly without interaction of other races, including the Elder Dragons.

The people who are confused and complaining about plotholes in this thread are reading between lines where doing such isn’t intended – and mistaking pronouns.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

To bad we drained Zitan magic to kill him otherwise he would have been a treasure trove of power to slay other elder dragons. I reference zitain the body found. after u slay him u can jump off the aircraft you used and swim and see his body and other dragon champions u slay during the battle.

things i want to note are:
Dragons are more powerful then gods. We know this because the human gods are cowering in fear leaving the dirty work to us.

Dragons are drawn towards sources of magic

Why isn’t a dragon flying towards Zitains corpse because it has no magic. Why doesn’t a lesser dragon eat Zitain to become and elder dragon.

Why didn’t Kraggy eat Glints corpse it it had magic in it all consuming hunger and all which would have given Rylock time to kill it.

1. Finding Zhaitan’s corpse in Arah story is a bug and exploit, not lore.
  2. Nothing says that the Elder Dragons are more powerful than the Six Gods. Nothing says that the Six Gods are cowering in fear, let alone from the Elder Dragons.
  3. Who’s to say that the other Elder Dragons aren’t throwing forces in the direction of Orr? Jormag’s icebrood have to go through the norn, which are holding them back; Kralkatorrik’s has to go through the Crystal Desert and we have 0% updates on the situation of Orr and the Crystal Desert after the death of Zhaitan, and we haven’t a clue where Primordus is. However, I’d imagine that they’d all be more interested in the Bloodstones than Zhaitan’s corpse (with or without magic).
  4. Kralkatorrik didn’t eat Glint’s corpse because he fled in fear of Destiny’s Edge which almost killed him and hasn’t been seen or heard from yet. He probably was still licking his wounds when the Zephyrites obtained the body, which seems to have been relatively recently after the battle. And why didn’t it during the battle? Well, think of it like this: if someone was shooting an AK-47 in your general direction, would you go out of cover in order to grab a hamburger because you’re hungry? Not exactly the same situation, but close enough. The Elder Dragons aren’t mindless beasts, despite common misbelief.

At least the community finally starts to undertsand that story writing and in-game implementations aren’t exactly the same or seem logical compared to what we know from one of these components. But now the sotry behind in-game things is just completely different.

Except that’s not the case.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Lutinz.6915

Im incline to believe at this point that the Zephyr Sanctum we are seeing isnt their only vessel. Its perfectly possible that the ship we are seeing is only a landing craft to something greater floating up in the sky somewhere. Alternatively, it could be part of a fleet. As it is there doesnt seem to be enough room to grow food (which they seem to suggest they do) or hide glints body (which we know they have).

I suspect that Glint’s body gave them more capacity to harness the Aspects and that they could already harness the Aspects except with greater effort.

I think until we know alot more about the Zephyrites its hard to say that this short story is a lore mistake.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

We know for a fact that it isn’t only one vessel. In the map of Labyrinthine Cliffs alone we can see about 11 vessels, including the only one that’s docked. Whether or not the one that’s docked is the “main” ship or not is the question, as is whether or not there’s more out there.

Dear ANet writers,

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

in Lore

Lutinz.6915

I actually meant if it was the only large vessel. We do see others but they are all quite small.

I meant more on the lines that there may be more ships actually still up above the clouds that didnt come down to trade.

in Lore

Posted by: Ceallach.8740

Ceallach.8740

Okay, what I got out of this thread was that it would be really cool if there was a “fleet” map in the future with perhaps a much larger “city ship” with other ones docked to it.

There could even be some kind of “intruder / infestation” on the ship plot that spins into a dungeon. Likely the aetherblades, but it could also be cool to introduce some kind of unique “high sky” monsters that are rarely/never seen on land (perhaps their bodies burn up at death, thus closing that plot hole – though perhaps sometimes the bodies fall to the ground and create “Big Foot” type legends).

in Lore

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

any relation to the cathedral of zephyr? i wondered this since i heard their name in the first place

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Not that’s shown. Zephyr is just something related to air and sky. The Catehdral of Zephyr is Dwayna’s temple, who is the goddess of life and air. Then there’s the Season of the Zephyr, aka spring, which is tied to the element of air and related to Dwayna. Finally we have Zephyr Sanctum, which is in the air.

The only relation other than the name is the air/sky based theme, which is why the word “Zephyr” is used.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Vorenyx.5804

Clarification from a dev would be very much appreciated. I’ll assume that it’s going to be plot relevant if we don’t get some kind of statement or reply soon. As much as I’ve loved reading all of the possible theories, I’d love even more so if this was addressed and cleared up!

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Well, there is a connection, but it’s not a direct one. Dwayna’s portfolio explicitly covers wind and lightning, and a few obscure lines in Guild Wars 1 could be taken to mean that she has dominion over the sun as well. The Zephyrites have also made their home in the sky, clearly putting themselves in Dwayna’s domain. Since Glint no doubt remembered the Cathedral of Zephyrs, she may even have suggested the name as a homage, especially if the original Zephyrites were primarily followers of Dwayna.

One might also speculate on similarities between Dwayna’s portfolio and the powers retrieved from Glint. Before people jump on the ‘the gods are dragons!’ bandwagon, though, I’d point out that Kralkatorrik has no known association with sunlight (in fact, the air over the Brand seems to block out sunlight, making it noticeably darker there during the day). It’s possible that light-oriented powers possessed by Glint came as a gift from Dwayna rather than the other way around, or it could be that they are purely or partially coincidental (‘Partially’ being that Glint’s powers over wind, sun and lightning were developed independently of Dwayna’s stewardship over the same, but Glint may have chosen Dwayna-worshippers to found the Sanctum due to shared interests.)

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Well, when you look at the different aspects of Glint in the Dragon’s Lair mission it seems as if she may have had blessings from each of the gods at one point in time or another.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

That’s arguable – the facets in Glint’s lair may be representing something other than facets of divine power (the Facet of Elements in particular would presumably be representing Abaddon, but the skills it uses aren’t powers associated with Abaddon), or may have been granted in Glint’s defense but don’t actually indicate anything about power Glint can wield directly.

More telling, though, is if she’d received blessings from all the gods, the expectation would be that the Aspects would reflect that – but while the Aspect of Sun could arguably be Balthazar, the Aspects seem to be entirely within Dwayna’s domain.

in Lore

Posted by: Fafnir.5124

Fafnir.5124

I really hope they looted the spear with Glint corpse. It would make our job so much easier to kill Kraggy. Weapon forge from Kraggy spine penetrate him like butter. RefBook2

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I would hope someone from Destiny’s Edge would have been smart enough to take it with them as they left the area.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

As far as we know, they didn’t. Rytlock tossed it aside before leaving – he certainly didn’t take it with him. There was no account of finding/taking the spear in Logan’s mental recap. Caithe and Zojja left together and seemingly without a spear.

That leaves Eir, who had given up, to have taken the spear. Or for Caithe to have returned.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Narcemus.1348

I wouldn’t put it past Caithe to come back. I mean the book has her walking up and down the Dragonbrand picking up pieces of his blood.

in Lore

Vorenyx.5804

Bumping, because I really would like some clarification on this from a dev, or at least some kind of hint that I’m wrong, because I really want to be.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

From http://www.guildmag.com/magazine/issue9/interview.htm

(side note: this interview took place the day before the short story was released)

GuildMag (Thalador / Tom): Our first question would be that, starting with the recent living story update, we have the introduction of the Zephyr Sanctum and that reading between the lines it seems that the Sanctum might be the successor organization of the Brotherhood of the Dragon acting on Glint’s behalf after the dwarves underwent the Rite. If we were to ask one of their historians about how the Sanctum was founded, what would they say?

ArenaNet (together) : Woooow.

ArenaNet (Jeff Grubb) : Yeah, that’s a good one.

Anet (Scott McGough) : That’s a very good question. A lot of that is still in the works. We have introduced the Sanctum now. We’re not really ready to reveal all of the details about how it was formed and where it came from, but yeah, what you mentioned there is in the game and it is part of the set-up. There is sort of a passing of the baton from the Brotherhood of the Dragon to the current Zephyrites.

ArenaNet (Ree Soesbee) : I think that’s something the Durmand Priory would be researching too. Whether or not the Zephyrites wanted them to know or not the Durmand Prioriy would be poking around.

ArenaNet (Scott MCGough) : The Zephyrites have kept themselves very aloof from the other societies on Tyria, so they’re relatively secretive. People don’t know much about them so we’re looking forward to revealing more about them in the upcoming months but right now we don’t have a pad answer for you because we’re trying to stretch that out and maintain some of the mystery.

GuildMag (Thalador): So one more question. So why do the Elonians and Canthans take up most of the crew of the Order of the Zephyrites?

ArenaNet (Scott McGough) : I believe it has to do mostly with the way the organization was founded and where it was founded. They do have this connection to the Brotherhood of the Dragon. They were in – like I said they keep themselves separate, they keep themselves distinct from the Tyrian races. So naturally the only thing left after you deal with Tyria is Cantha and Elona. It’s really just a question of geography. This is where the organization was founded so it drew on its members from those places before the Sanctum figuratively took off and floated away never to touch the ground again.

This said, about your comment in the OP, there’s two things of note:

1. The Short Story makes mention of a “new sanctum” signifying that they had another beforehand.
  2. Morning, the NPC who’s the source of the wiki’s statement, only says this about the age of the Zephyr Sanctum: "Over time, humans took over the guardianship, and in our quest for peace we discovered the Sun, Wind, and Lightning Aspects. We Built Zephyr Sanctum, and lifted our community into the clouds. " No age given by her.

While there are NPCs who seem to have never been on the ground, it seems more that they simply never dealt with common people, and we know from the short story that Zephyrites – even before the Zephyr Sanctum – had been isolated for quite some time.

I want to emphasize the fact that the Zephyrites had kept themselves distanced from all Tyrians (continental speaking), so a lot of this “we’re new here/we don’t know this land” is actually true. They’re either from the old sanctum – of which we know nothing about, so could have been in the clouds too (just not a floating kite-ship) and/or in humid areas like amid the clouds – or they’re from other lands, not from continental Tyria.

So just to re-state, a lot of these so-called plotholes is just from people connecting the dots while skipping a dot or two.

Dear ANet writers,