Malyck in HoT...

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

…where is he?
Actually i’m stunned that they totally missed that important fact in the Lore. Or did i missed anything, maybe some information from an NPC or a hidden message anywhere?

I really was hoping for that part of the Story in HoT. Is there still any chance for a good cameback for him? I doubt it.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’ve seen nothing and heard no reports on him. ArenaNet dropped the ball on a lot of plot lines. Malyck is one of them.

And now that the area is explored, where his tree should be, I fear that ArenaNet will just come in and be “lol it’s one of the Blighting trees lol -trollface-”.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

Zero mention of him, his tree, or any of the other trees. Hell, there’s not even anything about what’s up with the Pale Tree.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

I hope/guess this is something that’s coming with LS Season 3 eventually. It’s too weird to put that in and then never do anything with it, especially since they have changed other aspects of the personal story. If they’ll never use Malyck again, why not change that, too?

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Diovid.9506

Diovid.9506

Zero mention of him, his tree, or any of the other trees.

That’s not entirely true. There is mention of other trees, the link between them and the pale tree is not explored at all though.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: hardy.7469

hardy.7469

A later story maybe? I mean Mordy is dead, so one of the season storylines could be the Sylvari dealing with this and the fallout of it which include the other pale trees.

… Or it remains a hanging thread never explored. lol

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

They’ll probably use the whole “Now that Mordy is dead we can finally explore the jungle in peace and see what we can find.”

That way they will add all sorts of things that we are talking about on the forums that are completely missing in this expansion and it was its perfect place to be in HoT

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

They’ll probably use the whole “Now that Mordy is dead we can finally explore the jungle in peace and see what we can find.”

That way they will add all sorts of things that we are talking about on the forums that are completely missing in this expansion and it was its perfect place to be in HoT

Which would be interesting, however in the end we would ask: “why couldn`t it have been in there from the beginning?”

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

Which would be interesting, however in the end we would ask: “why couldn`t it have been in there from the beginning?”

They can always pull a “You didn’t have the time to go explore what mysteries can be found in the jungle, no time for other Pale Trees, Malyck, Dragon weaknesses, Egg, Exalted and Forgotten and everything else you were expecting at the release of HoT, cause remember, Pact was in trouble, your friends (Zojja, Eir, Logan, Trahearne) needed help. Immediately. Would be silly for you to go and explore stuff while they are in immediate danger.”

And just by saying that they can pretty much justify most of the things they missed.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Chris.4670

Chris.4670

What i thought about his tree is something like this:
At the end of the story we will find a tree and i'm pretty sure this one was meant to resemble an more Mordremoth influenced one. The Place we were fighting Faolain was kind of a counterpart of the Chamber of Pale Trees Avatar, because of this thorny thing where Trahearne was hanging before he got carried away. At the End the Pale Tree isn't more than just Roots with Spiral ways. So Mordremoth just corrupted Malycks Tree. Also his Tree had no dream and those Sylvari aren't connected to this Tree so even if it's corrupted they can stay uninfected. This could have also give some hints how to defeat Mordremoth within the Dream
But there is the Story missing and the Reaction of my character saying something like “another one?” and of course Malyck or maybe more Sylvari of his tribe should have been fighting against Mordremoth too, at least that was the whole point of Malyck (helping against Elder Dragons, yeah there are 4 more left but who cares now, Sylvari story is over the rest will just be forced interpretation).

And like Konig says, there are more missing plot lines, some of them could be implement after story but some could have envolve the story so much more.
You remember those Explorer from Dry Top? Explorer Kitabi, Savio and the hylek one. Wasn’t they supposed to find out what happened there, so they could have gain some information about Mordremoths or Malyck (atleast they were members of Durmand Priory, they have knowledge)
It is actually sad that we got a full story with release, because it just felt rushed but to be honest i was expecting that. I wish they could ad more story within the story, to expand the whole expirience.
My head almost bursting with ideas :/

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

They can always pull a “You didn’t have the time to go explore what mysteries can be found in the jungle, no time for other Pale Trees, Malyck, Dragon weaknesses, Egg, Exalted and Forgotten and everything else you were expecting at the release of HoT, cause remember, Pact was in trouble, your friends (Zojja, Eir, Logan, Trahearne) needed help. Immediately. Would be silly for you to go and explore stuff while they are in immediate danger.”

And just by saying that they can pretty much justify most of the things they missed.

My thinking as well. There’s a lot of plot threads lying around, so spending at least 1 season explore and expanding on the lore would be great before moving onto the next expansion / dragon. I’m just afraid S3 is going to be another S2 i.e. a lead up into another expansion (and thus not a lot of time to stop and take in the lore).

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Yeah. Making valuable plot threads less valuable, because they are just part of the ED Crusade.

Though my point is this:
Even in the main story, they go out to look at possible ways to fight the ED, aka Rata Novus. It is only a hunch. A possibility.
They abandon their main goal (getting the Band… I mean DE back together) to go on a history trip.
So why couldn`t they stumble about other things. Malyck could have been helpfull, Mordremoths logistics could have been usefull, Druids could have been usefull.
Even the White Mantle, who is human centric and would do anything to protect humans would be an asset (and appearetnly they are in the jungle.. now they ar ein the Raid).
Or what about the Bloodstones? Big source of magical energy in enemies territory?

There was so much potential here and they reduced it to: Where are our friends? Oh look Exalted. Take care of the Egg. Oh a Asuran City which could have answers, lets explore. Lets enter the dragons mind. Dragon death.

In fact they could have used their split into Main Story and Open World lore to give insight into many things.

We know they tackle white mantle and bloodstones through raids, but these are set after HoT.

You just don`t take the straight line in a completly new area straight for the leaders head (which more or less is the story of HoT, as they just complete some little tasks before taking the enemy down).

The whole story is like all these locust players, who rush trhough a game and compalin that there is nothing to do here and move on.

(btw. I don`t like the idea that an LS should fix these things, as it suggests that the main story was incomplete and lacking. The LS should bridge to the next bigger storylines and allow us to explore outside the normal threats. Thats why it should be focused on the small DE2.0, while the main plot involves whole Tyria more)

(edited by Jaken.6801)

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

I think the deal is that the Pale Tree is big, and consists of an entire map, recreating that would be weird. Only way I could see a corrupted Pale Tree coming in would be as a raid perhaps. As far as the scope of the story goes, while it would be cool, it seems like a lot of resources would be devoted to a plot that’s ultimately a dead end.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Technically, the Pale Tree isn’t an entire map, and not even all of The Grove. Keep in mind that city maps are much smaller than standard zone maps like HoT’s. Further, we see not one, not two, not even three, but at least eight gigantic trees in HoT – five of which are Blighting Trees which are the mordrem version of Pale Trees. Three of said Blighting Trees are in Dragon’s Stand.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

Technically, the Pale Tree isn’t an entire map, and not even all of The Grove. Keep in mind that city maps are much smaller than standard zone maps like HoT’s. Further, we see not one, not two, not even three, but at least eight gigantic trees in HoT – five of which are Blighting Trees which are the mordrem version of Pale Trees. Three of said Blighting Trees are in Dragon’s Stand.

I will say this came to mind when running into “The Great Tree” in Tangled Depths. The name seems to suggest that it has significance. But I’ve yet to find anything explaining it. It looks like a destroyed, big tree, could it be an ancient incarnation of a sylvari tree? Just kind of pitching ideas.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Posted by: Renkku.7451

Renkku.7451

Shouldn’t the other tree be much more north than the HoT maps anyway? At least Malyck was found on the shore of the river that flows through the Caledon Forest and that river starts from nowhere near the HoT maps, actually quite near of Divinity’s Reach. So according to that the Malyck’s tree could be somewhere north from Brisban Wildlands. But I could be mistaken.

Malyck in HoT...

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

The river flows from the west, not north, and doesn’t even run through Caledon Forest. The river ends in Brisban Wildlands and runs from Metrica Province – there is a split where it runs towards Caledon and towards the Sea of Sorrows, but that’s also flowing outward from the west.

The beginning of the river is actually near Tangled Depths (as you see on the world map there’s that big scar-shaped river) and, originally, flowed all the way to The Falls.

Dear ANet writers,