Malyck in a new light.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Dunan Atreides.5436

Dunan Atreides.5436

So with the new information we had today, how do we see Malyck now?

Many have said that the Sylvari’s Dream is akin to other Dragon’s hive mind, yet there’s suspicion that Malyck’s tree may not have had a dream at all.

I have a theory I’d like to know if it’s plausible or weak – I still think there’s a possibility that Sylvari on the whole aren’t dragon minions. It might be that those seeds that were specifically in the cave where the pale tree comes from were tampered or specifically bred to be dragon minions, infusing them with the ‘dream’. Malyck’s tree may not have come from that particular cave, and has grown independently of mordremoth’s influence (yet being plant based, there is still the innate possibility that he can still turn to Mordremoth, but not because he’s inherently a dragon minion).

I dunno, loremasters what do you think?

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Mickey Frogeater.1470

Mickey Frogeater.1470

Malyck might be a descendant of Ewan’s tribe of Humans turned Plants by Melandru for all we know….

This might explain certain Sylvari’s reactions to him.

Hopefully Malyck is what I and others suspect and aids us with the help of other members of Ewan’s tribe against Mordremoth in the final battle of Heart of Thorns.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Not that I’d claim to be a ‘loremaster’, but my suspicion at this point is that the Dream has nothing to do with the Elder Dragons, but is the result of the Forgotten ritual and breaks mental corruption- reasoning here being that we know the sylvari are supposed to be Mordrem, we know the Dream is what stops that from happening, and we know the only process we’ve ever heard of that breaks corruption is the Forgotten ritual. It would also explain how Glint had knowledge of the future beyond what’s possible as a telepath- we’ve personally experienced that the Dream can show the future, or at least a version of it.

What that would mean for Twitchy is… possibly concerning.

Anyway, by this theory, Malyck would be exactly as the Pale Tree sylvari are, just quite possibly with a different Dream. If one seed in that cave was altered, I’d expect them all to have been.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Malyck might be a descendant of Ewan’s tribe of Humans turned Plants by Melandru for all we know….

Hopefully Malyck is what I and others suspect and aids us with the help of other members of Ewan’s tribe against Mordremoth in the final battle of Heart of Thorns.

It has been stated that Ewan’s tribe became the Druids.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

It has been stated that Ewan’s tribe became the Druids.

Mind sharing where? I don’t buy into his theory myself, but I’ve never seen definitive proof against it.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Rhaegar.1203

Rhaegar.1203

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Aaron Ansari.1604

Nothing in that mentions the druids…

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Mushroomz.4280

Mushroomz.4280

I think any Sylvari that aren’t protected via the dream and the Pale Tree will simply become everyday mordrem in a new form. Without the Pale Tree’s protection… our Sylvari wouldn’t be our friends… in fact, the ones that have been inflicted with Mordremoth’s influence are soundless Sylvari, ones that reject the dream, often because they cannot handle the pressure it exerts on them. I like to think of the dream now as an alternative conscious comparable with mordremoth’s however it resists being absorbed. Interestingly enough, the Pale Tree will let her children suppress it, but in Scarlet’s case, it couldn’t be rid of permanently, as the Pale Tree was able to talk to Scarlet long after she became soundless, but right before Omadd’s machine, when she ultimately was exposed to Mordremoth. The point being, they’re dominated by Mordremoth’s influence, all of them, the Pale Tree can only reach out to HER Sylvari, she can’t do anything for others… to my knowledge.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I think it’s too early to know what Malyck’s ultimate fate is. I fear that he has been killed by a member of the grove, quite possibly Caithe who has already killed to protect the pale tree’s secret.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Information from earlier in the season points to the Dream as being the source of the protection sylvari have against Mordremoth (and, I believe, other dragons as well, since we see in CoE that minions can be multi-corrupted). So it’s more likely to be something done by a third party (likely the Forgotten) in order to free the seeds from Mordremoth’s influence.

From memory, Malyck doesn’t recall having a Dream, which is worrying, as without a Dream his Tree was probably taken over by Mordremoth. It’s possible, though, that he had one and simply didn’t remember it (he was still born with adult skills, after all). Either way, though, I suspect the prognosis for Malyck’s Tree is not good – it seems to be deep in Mordrem territory.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: IllegalChocolate.6938

IllegalChocolate.6938

I think it’s too early to know what Malyck’s ultimate fate is. I fear that he has been killed by a member of the grove, quite possibly Caithe who has already killed to protect the pale tree’s secret.

I think one of the more important points to keep hold of is his personality archetype throughout the personal story.

If what Mushroomz says is true, it begs the question as to why Malyck is so against the ideologies of the nightmare as his personality is very much in line with Pale Tree sylvari with no inherent directives from the ventari tablet.

I almost feel like Sylvari are no more “destined” to be the minions of Mordremoth than flesh bound creatures like humans are “destined” to be the minions of Zhaitan in a sense. Of course unfortunately the lead writer herself has already stated otherwise.

Information from earlier in the season points to the Dream as being the source of the protection sylvari have against Mordremoth (and, I believe, other dragons as well, since we see in CoE that minions can be multi-corrupted). So it’s more likely to be something done by a third party (likely the Forgotten) in order to free the seeds from Mordremoth’s influence.

From memory, Malyck doesn’t recall having a Dream, which is worrying, as without a Dream his Tree was probably taken over by Mordremoth. It’s possible, though, that he had one and simply didn’t remember it (he was still born with adult skills, after all). Either way, though, I suspect the prognosis for Malyck’s Tree is not good – it seems to be deep in Mordrem territory.

The dream is an ecosystem of memories shared amongst sylvari (it may as well be a shard of the mists). It is not a shield as the nightmare coexists within the dream itself.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Unless the dream comes from Ronan amd Ventaris care and teachings via the tablet. Such teachings also allowed for the current Sylvari and Pale Tree to resist Mordremoths influence, thus allowing them to be good. Whereas Malyck came from a tree that didnt have such protection and is a minion, as it was supposed to be.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

We still don’t know where the seeds were located, we don’t know why the pale tree has been separated from Mordy. We also don’t know when she was separated from Mordy. It could have been a ritual that was performed on all the seeds.

Other than this is the location where Caithe learned Wynne’s secret, what was so special about this cave?

I believe that the Nightmare court are still protected by the dream. They don’t reject the dream, only Ventari’s tablet. I think that if they were corrupted by Mordy, then they would leave the soundless alone. Because the soundless should be easy to convert back to minions.

(edited by DarcShriek.5829)

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

From the Pale Tree, Rallying Call instance, when playing a sylvari:

“There are those who reject my protection. It leaves them vulnerable in ways they cannot imagine, in ways they never were before. I shield you as best I can and will for as long as I can. "

Those who reject her protection are the Soundless, who have rejected both Dream and Nightmare. I don’t think the exact relationship has been spelled out (although I might be forgetting something), but the Dream is pretty clearly at least the medium through which the Pale Tree extends her protection.

The Nightmare is a corruption of some form within the Dream, which may or may not be connected to Mordremoth. For the time being, however, Nightmare Court sylvari seem to retain more protection than Soundless.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

“There are those who reject my protection. It leaves them vulnerable in ways they cannot imagine, in ways they never were before. I shield you as best I can and will for as long as I can. "

Those who reject her protection are the Soundless, who have rejected both Dream and Nightmare. I don’t think the exact relationship has been spelled out (although I might be forgetting something), but the Dream is pretty clearly at least the medium through which the Pale Tree extends her protection.

The Nightmare is a corruption of some form within the Dream, which may or may not be connected to Mordremoth. For the time being, however, Nightmare Court sylvari seem to retain more protection than Soundless.

Assuming the nightmare is NOT Mordy related :

Any sort of zealotry tends to make people VERY one track minded.

So the reason for “more” protection on for the Nightmare Court is because they have clearly set motives and aspirations whereas the Soundless just aimlessly do whatever they want.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Ronin.7381

Ronin.7381

That would actually be quite interesting. Although supposedly his tree is in the Meguumas which sends a huge alarm as to what Malyck’s possible allegiance could actually be. It was claimed by the Pale Tree that those under her care were protected so it is difficult to say what, if any, other Pale Trees out there were up to. Seeing as there were other seeds, there’s reason to believe Malyck’s home-tree might not be the only other one out there.

Hard to say really. I’m 50/50 as there are still questions regarding his… unique disposition.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Avariz.8241

Avariz.8241

Does what happened to Aerin shed a different perspective. He was under the protection of the Pale Tree by all appearances and yet when he got close to Glint’s egg, he was corrupted by an green/yellow energy and possibly by Mordremoth.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Assuming the nightmare is NOT Mordy related :

Any sort of zealotry tends to make people VERY one track minded.

So the reason for “more” protection on for the Nightmare Court is because they have clearly set motives and aspirations whereas the Soundless just aimlessly do whatever they want.

Ceara seemed to have clearly set motives and aspirations before her contact with Mordremoth as well. Aerin we don’t know so well, but I don’t think he was necessarily ‘aimless’.

Furthermore, I could turn your argument around – the Soundless are what they are because they wanted to assert their independence, to be their own being rather than part of some ‘greater whole’, while cultists have already shown themselves to be willing to be brainwashed into a greater whole once. In fact, the Nightmare Court raison d’etre is drawing out the “true nature” of the sylvari – they might thus be more inclined to embrace Mordremoth. Certainly, an organisation devoted to gaining power through inflicting pain on others seems like its members would be much more open to joining a dragon’s army than the generally more moral Soundless and Dream sylvari.

Certainly, things we know from what we’ve been told:

1) The Pale Tree extends protection from corruption.

2) Those who cut themselves off from the Dream lose some of this corruption.

3) The Nightmare Court is not cut off from the Dream, and instead cultivates a continued connection with the Dream as part of their goals.

A fourth observation is that we don’t know of any Nightmare Courtier to have succumbed, but that could be just that we don’t know rather than that it hasn’t happened.

Either way, the Dream is certainly a component of the protection. It may not be everything, but it is an important part.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Novuake.2691

Zealotry, which pretty much all Nightmare Court is, isn’t comparable to self driven or to personal aspiration.

I should have expressed myself better I guess.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

Ceara said something about dragon energy is chaos energy, could be wrong, but if true, then dragon/chaos energy from Glint’s egg could have made Aerin mad. In such a state of madness and loosening of his attachment to the Pale Tree and the Dream could have made him vulnerable to Mordremoth corruption. This is like a re run of Ceara herself.

Ceara herself did dappled with dragon/chaos energy prior to going into the mind machine and confronting Mordremoth’s mind/will.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Zealotry, which pretty much all Nightmare Court is, isn’t comparable to self driven or to personal aspiration.

I should have expressed myself better I guess.

Zealotry can be redirected, or even made a case of ‘this is what we believed in all along, we just didn’t know it’.

Still, it’s unimportant. The important part is that we’re told outright that the Pale Tree extends protection to those sylvari who don’t reject the Dream. How far this extends to Nightmare Court sylvari is a bit up in the air, but we know the Dream is certainly a component of the protection, and without that component, the strength of the protection in an individual sylvari is weakened.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: ElysianEternity.6215

ElysianEternity.6215

Hmm…
What if the nightmare isn’t Mordremoth’s corruption per-se but a pseudo-corruption?
Such as Mordremoth trying to take down the barrier of the dream but failing, resulting in a “poison” with corruption-like symptoms tainting the dream.
Which would be the nightmare.

Or… maybe something like this. I’m getting too sleepy to figure out the details and I think that’s been enough lore-sub for me today, ahahaha. But that’s an idea.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Novuake.2691

Hmm…
What if the nightmare isn’t Mordremoth’s corruption per-se but a pseudo-corruption?
Such as Mordremoth trying to take down the barrier of the dream but failing, resulting in a “poison” with corruption-like symptoms tainting the dream.
Which would be the nightmare.

Or… maybe something like this. I’m getting too sleepy to figure out the details and I think that’s been enough lore-sub for me today, ahahaha. But that’s an idea.

This is pretty much the way I see it, I think that Mordy is trying every angle to get into the Sylvari “hive” and in doing so is causing a lot of “cracks” like the nightmare court, Aerin, Scarlet, maybe even Caithe’s unreasonable stealing of the egg, that are not necessarily his intention, but he can still access the nightmare court easier than the sylvari protected by The Pale Tree.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

Aerin and Guildwars 2: Heart of Thorn ‘expansion’ cinematic in the part where airships in the armada of the pact exploded and descended down to the jungle canopy. What happened to Aerin could have happened to sylvari crew members ie they come into contact with dragon/chaos energy and lost their mind to some degree and became vulnerable.

Edit: This is bad logic as the Sylvari are not corrupted by Zhaitan.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: crazyboy.1678

crazyboy.1678

So the original point of this thread is to figure out what’s going on with Malyck. There are a few things we need to decide then. First, what’s the deal with The Pale Tree’s protection? Second, what’s the deal with Soundless? Third, why does the Pale Tree offer protection? Why is she separate from Mordrrmoth?

Let’s go with the last question first. Why is the Pale Tree separate from Mordremoth? I think there’s a surprisingly simple answer that some people have mentioned already: the teachings of Ventari’s tablet. Now, there is important in-game precedent for raising a dragon-spawned being into something good and helpful. Namely… http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mysterious_Vine Look at the description. “Raised under the good influence of a Tyrian hero.” Consider now the fact that the Pale Tree was raised for 250 years on the teachings of a great and kind Tyrian: Ventari. It makes a lot more sense now that she’s be free of Mordremoth’s power. Bit takes the question right out of where the seed was found or if anyone cast spells on it. It doesn’t seem to matter.

Second, let’s look at where the Pale Tree’s protection and dream stem from, and how Malyck works. This question actually ties directly into the question of the Soundless. We can reasonably assume that the Pale Tree’s protection comes from the dream. The two sylvari we know of who served the dragon (Scarlet and Aerin) were Soundless when they were taken over (check Aerin’s wiki page for that). The Soundless completely reject the dream, and hence (we assume) they lose their protection.

However, now that the Pale Tree has been knocked out, it seems that the Pale Tree’s protection is significantly weakened. This (we can assume) has led to more sylvari turning to the dragon’s side, as seen in the trailer.

NOW. Back to the question of Malyck. If we assume the Pale Tree is good because of how she was raised, and we assume the protection she offers is the Dream, then here’s what we must assume about Malyck. First, if his tree had no dream, then it must not have been raised to be good like the Pale Tree, and he must not have the protection of a tree. Thus, the tree HE probably came from is, well, interesting.

Now we get into more rampant speculation. If his tree had no protection, then it should have been trying to raise Mordremoth just as the Great Destroyer tried to raise Primordus. As far as we can tell from Malyck’s existence, it wasn’t. If I had to guess, I’d say whatever his Pale Tree is, it was dormant. It didn’t talk to Malyck in the form of the dream, nor did it try to bring back its master. Now that Mordremoth is completely awaken, things are different. It’s more than likely Mordy has reclaimed Malyck’s tree, as well as any other trees that exist (besides the Pale Tree, which like the Mysterious Vine (and the further forms) can shake off Mordremoth’s influence because of her upbringing). In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if, given the vertical nature of the Grove, most of the jungle we travel through in Heart of Thorns is actually made up of more Pale Trees. Wouldn’t that be neat?

Mordremoth reclaiming other trees also nearly explains where all the Mordrem are coming from: they’re being birthed from trees in the same way sylvari are birthed from the Pale Tree. This could also explain the resemblance between Mordrem Wolves and fern hounds.

Hope these explanations work for you all.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

I have a feeling that there’s a lot more to separate the Pale Tree from Mordremoth than just upbringing. Consider we have a tribe of centaur connected to Ventari guarding a cave sealed with forgotten magic and in some why its linked to the Sylvari.

Lets add to that. Forgotten served the Gods, and the local humans in the area became druids, the spirit of whom a sylvari player can summon with their elite racial skill.

I think Melandru was involved. It would fit. The Gods knew about the EDs and Melandru would have cared a lot about the damage Mordremoth would do. Plus we know from the scrolls in Orr she went out to prepare the world for a troubled future. Its why she pops up in the myths and religions of even the Charr and the Quaggen.

Perhaps knowing the Forgotten’s ability to purify corruption Melandru arranged just that. Pale Tree seeds to be purified. Perhaps the real reason the Druids became spirits was to create a basis for the Dream or perhaps to act as wards or guardians for it. We know the Dream extends beyond sylvari as we have animals unconnected to the Pale Tree which influence the Dream and are tied to it.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Michael.8562

Michael.8562

I’m starting to wonder if the Dream really has all that much to do with how the Pale Tree is protecting her Sylvari. In “Dragon’s Reach Part 1: Rallying Call” the Pale Tree says the following:

• Well, my child, the one thing you must never forget is that I stand between you and the greatest darkness you’ll ever know. A vast darkness intent on consuming all that we hold dear.

What’s interesting is that she says “I”. So the Dream may just be the means by which she is protecting her sylvari. Perhaps there are other methods used by other possible trees?

• There are those who reject my protection. It leaves them vulnerable in ways they cannot imagine, in ways they never were before. I shield you as best I can and will for as long as I can.

Again she says that she will shield them – not that the Dream does.

Then finally,

• Yes. In the past, my children have been immune. But Mordremoth’s corruption is powerful, and just as Zhaitan created the undead from so many creatures, so Mordremoth’s corruption can change you.

Seems like she’s stating out right that those that don’t have or reject her protection will be corrupted. She also doesn’t mention the Nightmare – so what she’s talking about doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the Dream or Nightmare.

If what’s preventing sylvari from falling under Mordremoth’s corrupting influence has more to do with the individual tree a sylvari comes from than the Dream then Malyck and his people could go either way. Especially if, as has been suggested above, all of the seeds in the cave were subject to the same “cleansing”. There may be armies of uncorrupted sylvari out there from trees Mordremoth hasn’t been able to find and attack yet. Perhaps that’s what Malyck was the “harbinger” of?

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

@ Michael

The use of 1st person pronouns could simply mean that she is responsible for their protection, indirectly through the Dream. She creates the Dream, the Dream protects the sylvari, therefore she protects the sylvari. It would be like a President saying he will lower unemployment, or defeat the terrorists. He doesn’t literally do that himself.

Or if you want to be pedantic, even if she doesn’t create the Dream, she uses or alters the Dream/whatever the original form was. Maybe the Nightmare is the true reality, and the Dream is a corrupted form? Either way, I think you’re grasping at nothing here.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Does what happened to Aerin shed a different perspective. He was under the protection of the Pale Tree by all appearances and yet when he got close to Glint’s egg, he was corrupted by an green/yellow energy and possibly by Mordremoth.

Aerin also followed the path of the Sylvari who practice subduing the Pale Tree’s influence, via meditation or what have you. The Silent ones or whatever they were called and something occurred along the way to the Wastes that allowed him to fall under Mordremoth’s influence while his “defenses” were weak.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Ronin.7381

Seems like she’s stating out right that those that don’t have or reject her protection will be corrupted. She also doesn’t mention the Nightmare – so what she’s talking about doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the Dream or Nightmare.

Well, she does. The Dream is a form of protection conjured to “install” morals on her sylvari. The Nightmare is likely Mordremoth testing those defenses and slowly breaking through. Prior to his awakening the Nightmare was but a compelling whisper probably inciting rebellion but it didn’t have an individual to rally to so it was like a call made by an unknown number. Once he awakened however, he became the manifestation of the Nightmare and thus we have what is spilling out in HoT.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Michael.8562

Michael.8562

Well, she does. The Dream is a form of protection conjured to “install” morals on her sylvari. The Nightmare is likely Mordremoth testing those defenses and slowly breaking through. Prior to his awakening the Nightmare was but a compelling whisper probably inciting rebellion but it didn’t have an individual to rally to so it was like a call made by an unknown number. Once he awakened however, he became the manifestation of the Nightmare and thus we have what is spilling out in HoT.

I like what you’re saying here Ronin and I definitely agree that the Dream is a construct of the Pale Tree. I’m starting to subscribe to the idea that the Dream is an extension of the Mists idea. There are a couple of things (and maybe I’m missing something so please feel free to correct me) that are confusing but seem to work if the Dream is just a viewport into the Mists.

1. In the beginning of the Sylvari PC story you meet Caithe as a “phantasm” and then are directed to leave the cave and cross a bridge. As you get to the bridge you see a phantasm of a Norn fighting a boar and he has dialog (I’m sorry I can’t quote it at the moment). Given that the developers/writers often place things in ways that they’ll get noticed it seems odd that this would be a “throw away” for atmosphere especially since there aren’t representations of other races (again correct me if I’m wrong). I was wondering if that Norn (as opposed to a human or asura or charr) was there because they have (lore wise) a close connection to the mists. Then later the Pale Tree allows Caithe to be made material to fight the shadow dragon (read ‘enter the mists’) like entering a fractal from Mistlock Observatory.

2. In the Sylvari PC storyline in which Malyck is encountered the Knight of Embers, says that she has been dreaming of finding the “Harbinger” since she was born (paraphrase). If the Dream is just the collected experience of the Pale Tree and all of her children this doesn’t really make sense because presumably the Pale Tree would have no knowledge of other trees. But if the Dream is a window into the mists that the Pale Tree makes and then shares with her children this makes more sense. That would also explain why the Dream can show the past AND the future.

Forgive me if this is a well trod path. I’m fairly new to the game but am LOVING the lore discussions!

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Dunan Atreides.5436:I still think there’s a possibility that Sylvari on the whole aren’t dragon minions.

Which brings up more questions than it answers. If Sylvari are Mordrem then we know Mordy made them. If they’re not then we A) still don’t know where they come from B) what purpose they serve C) why some serve Mordy. I’m going go with occam’s razor on this one, the simplest (but no simpler… although we’re talking about a world where very often the answer: magic or the gods did it… so not particularly ideal for occam’s razor) answer is that Sylvari are Modrem and something happened to free some of them. In the Sylari == Mordrem scenario we only have one big question (why are they free?) instead of three.

(edited by CureForLiving.5360)

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Sjacie.6351

Sjacie.6351

Malyck may actually be a firstborn of another tree.
Since they probably don’t have a Ventari Tablet or something like it their dream could be empty because there were no sylvari from that tree sharing their knowledge with it yet.
This would explain why Malyck doesn’t know anything off the world yet.

This would also put the birth of their secondborn at about the same time as the rise of Mordremoth…

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

I’m wondering if Malyck not knowing of a dream/not being corrupted has anything to do with the fact that his pod has drifted down the river, he didn’t seem to have awakened anywhere near his tree, in fact most likely at the location of the pod.

Maybe he got disconnected from his tree early?

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

The big thing is we don’t know much about Malyck’s origin, beyond that of his pod. We can definitely assume there is a tree out there that spawned him, since he’s definitely not from our tree. We don’t know where the tree is, if Malyck found it, or what happened to him after parting ways after being saved from the Nightmare court. For all we know, he has been corrupted and will be a champion to defeat in Heart of Thorns. On the other hand, he might’ve escaped Mordremoth’s grasp by some means we don’t know.

I think it’s safe to say we’ll learn more about the sylvari in the expansion, even if we don’t learn more about a second (or more) tree(s). Hopefully, the Avatar will have recovered somewhat to either give us some enlightenment, or the elder sylvari can advise us on their workings.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Do we have any indication that another Pale Tree would also be sentient?
As the Dream does not appear to be of Mordremoth’s design (since the Pale Tree manages to protect it from him), who is to say that the sentience of the Pale Tree does not come from the Dream rather than the seed?

If Pale Trees are just hatcheries of minions, I would assume it’s in Mordremoth’s best interest to give them as little will as possible. Basically all it needs to do is bear fruit, they don’t need to be self-aware for that.

And let’s face it, as champions they’re pretty useless. They’re immobile and most of the power the Pale Tree shows is connected to the Dream, which doesn’t seem to be an inherent power of a Pale Tree.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Because they already are under the influence of another dragon. :p

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

It’s entirely possible that the Dream is actually a construct of Mordremoth and Malyck’s lack of a Dream is caused by him not being in the presence of his Tree when he sprouted. At the same time, it’s also possible that the Dream is something concocted by the Pale Tree to protect and direct her children.

Malyck doesn’t really prove or disprove either option. The only things we can really learn from Malyck are that:

• Humanoid anatomy isn’t unique to the Pale Tree’s Sylvari,
  • It’s possible for a Sylvari to never experience the Dream, and
  • Sylvari are all born with English accents and decent vocabulary.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

• Sylvari are all born with English accents and decent vocabulary.

Must correct that last one:

• Sylvari are all born with approximated English accents and decent vocabulary, with an occasionally interesting way of pronouncing certain names.
“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: PetboyJoshua.3108

PetboyJoshua.3108

It’s entirely possible that the Dream is actually a construct of Mordremoth

But then, why would it act as some kind of “shield” against Mordremoth’s influence ? Soundless are more vulnerable to that dragon’s influence, don’t they ?

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: Koviko.3248

Koviko.3248

One of my theories is that it doesn’t shield them.

The Dream gives the Sylvari a purpose, but that purpose isn’t actually known until after a Mender tells you how to interpret your Dream. During the Dream, they are hands off. The only example we know of a Dream being interfered with is the PC’s dream with the Shadow of the Dragon. It’s possible that the Menders and the Pale Tree are actually reactive. It would explain why Wynne was able to see a part of the Dream that the Pale Tree would rather have kept secret.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Avariz.8241

Because they already are under the influence of another dragon. :p

I would postulate that Sylvari are in Mordremoth’s sphere of influence in the sense of all being in the flora genius. In addition Sylvari are out side of Zhaitan’s sphere of influence which is the realm of fauna genius. Therefore Sylvari being plants can only be corrupted by Mordremoth and not by Zhaitan.

Edit: with the above then the dream only offer protection for the Sylvari from Mordremoth. It did not offer protection from Zhaitan. The plausible reason Sylvari were not corrupted by Zhaitan could be the Sylvari were not a part of Zhaitan’s sphere of influence and did not affected by Zhaitan’s magic.

(edited by Avariz.8241)

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

draxynnic.3719

Zhaitan can corrupt plants – there are Zhaitan-corrupted plants in Sparkfly.

Malyck in a new light.

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Zhaitan can corrupt plants – there are Zhaitan-corrupted plants in Sparkfly.

And I’m pretty sure we see Kralky corrupting plants as well.