Malyck's Tree confirmed?

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Kossage.9072

Kossage.9072

So, I watched the interview of the composers Maclaine Diemer and Lena Chappelle in the “Bells and Whistles” section of Points of Interest episode 32 and listened to the two preview tracks for Heart of Thorns. For reference: Diemer’s track, and Chappelle’s track. Although Chappelle’s track is just as interesting and beautiful as Diemer’s for various music and lore reasons, for the purpose of this topic I’ll focus on Diemer’s track.

What caught my interest was that these weren’t just any tracks but actually hints at content we’ll experience in the maps that go past Verdant Brink. Diemer’s description of his own track, in particular, gave us some interesting if vague hints. I’ll provide an edited transcription below:

Maclaine Diemer

My track is pretty dark, I would say. It’s not scary; it’s more mysterious. And it’s the theme for an area. It’s very mysterious, it’s kind of expansive. It’s really difficult to say anything without giving it away. It’s that intangible thing when you hear it, you’ll know the feeling that it’s supposed to evoke in the map itself. It’s something I feel the music captures if I can kind of toot my own horn a little bit. (Source)

The comment itself may not reveal that much but when combined with the musical tapestry of the actual track it’s referring to, it made me wonder if Diemer’s actually coyly referring to us encountering Malyck’s Tree aka the Pale Tree’s sister who was hinted at by the existence of the sylvari Malyck in one of the early sylvari story branches in Personal Story. What if the track is the music played at Malyck’s Grove?

Diemer’s preview track has a rolling rhythm reminiscent of the Mordrem track from Living World Season 2 albeit not the exact same motif but still stylistically similar enough to draw attention to it. Unlike a track like the Newly Awakened which foreshadowed the sylvari/mordrem connection to Mordremoth by using a slightly modified variation of the Mordrem theme underneath the track’s main melody in the second half of the tune (from 0:55 onward…yes, that’s some clever writing by Chappelle right there referencing Diemer’s mordrem theme in a more “innocent” way!), Diemer’s preview track for HoT may be thematically referring to the Pale Tree herself.

The echoing piano used in Diemer’s preview track is stylistically quite similar to the use of the same instrument in not only the “unofficial” sylvari theme “Fear Not This Night” but also Diemer’s own piece of music for the Pale Tree Elevator and Jeremy Soule’s music for the Omphalos Chamber in the Grove. There aren’t really that many notable instances where this keyboarded, echoing piano effect is used in GW2 tracks outside sylvari-related stuff, so using a similar effect for Diemer’s HoT preview track is very suspicious to me and does raise questions if this is indeed subtle musical foreshadowing for us encountering Malyck’s Tree just like Diemer and Chappelle thematically connected Mordremoth to certain characters, locations and events in LW Seasons 1 and 2 via various thematic uses of the Mordremoth theme in past music tracks.

If this is indeed musical foreshadowing, it raises some interesting questions about the present state of Malyck’s Tree as well as Malyck and his people. By Diemer’s words, the preview track is meant to be dark and mysterious but not scary (not in a way the Tower of Nightmares was, and I’d argue that ToN was yet another sister of the Pale Tree for various reasons after a recent revelation of a certain tree in Verdant Brink from BWE2, but that’s a discussion probably better suited for another topic). Could this mean, then, that Malyck’s Tree hasn’t yet fallen under Mordremoth’s power but is nevertheless in grave danger due to proximity to the dragon assuming it wasn’t discovered by the Shadow of the Dragon?

There’s a sense of sadness and urgency in the string and piano writing in Diemer’s preview track not to mention the constant rhythmic movement underneath, which give the track a kind of haunting feel as it’s tugging at your heartstrings. To use poetic terms, if the Pale Tree is supposed to musically and visually represent light/day and the Tower of Nightmares represents darkness/night, perhaps Malyck’s Tree represents shadow/twilight with a more grey view of things at the threshold of the two? To quote Fear Not This Night,“Though shadows fall, still the stars find their way”, so there may be a glimmer of hope left for Malyck’s Tree even in these dark times, and Diemer may just have musically hinted at such story development.

Your thoughts?

(edited by Kossage.9072)

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

You have one hell of an ear for music, you know that? I listened to both and tried to see if I found similarities but I did not. And I love the Pale Tree Elevator music track.

Makes me wonder if Mordremoth succeeded with Malyck’s tree where it failed with the Pale Tree, and what we’ll approach is not a corrupted tree, but one burned down to the ground and lying in ruins.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

i’d like to see an evil avatar of a tree, giving us the idea how would grove look like

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Ultimaistanza.4793

Ultimaistanza.4793

i’d like to see an evil avatar of a tree, giving us the idea how would grove look like

Maybe you already have seen it.

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

I hope Malyck doesn’t turn in evil in HoT because for some reason I feel like we may see Malyck in the new Harbinger of Mordremoth outfit.

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Maybe you already have seen it.

it’s just nightmare courtier, i wanna see mordrem pale tree avatar :P

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: Kossage.9072

Kossage.9072

You have one hell of an ear for music, you know that? I listened to both and tried to see if I found similarities but I did not. And I love the Pale Tree Elevator music track.

Thanks. Admittedly some of these references are a bit tricky to jot down as not all are necessarily melodic in nature; sometimes there might simply be similarities in the way certain instruments are used to set a certain mood rather than the themes themselves. In the case of this preview piece I took note of the distinctive, echoing piano effect often heard in the Grove, and things began unraveling from there, fueled by Diemer’s curious comments.

Certain musical revelations from the most recent BWE actually further fuel my theory that this track is in fact related to Malyck and his Grove as I’ll explain below…except now there may be additional hints to what role Malyck might play in the expansion (assuming this musical hint is anything to go by, so take what I say with a grain of salt).

I hope Malyck doesn’t turn in evil in HoT because for some reason I feel like we may see Malyck in the new Harbinger of Mordremoth outfit.

It appears Malyck may actually keep his promise and rally an army to help us fight against an Elder Dragon after all. Although the preview piece mentioned in the first post of this thread does sound sad and mysterious to me rather than heroic as stated earlier, I’ve noticed something very interesting and exciting in the revised Main Theme for Heart of Thorns that played in the menu screen during BWE3.

Pay close attention to the string ostinato (a repeating musical phrase) starting from 0:07 in that track and which plays in many places throughout that track. Does it sound familiar? It should; Diemer is blatantly referencing his HoT preview piece, the very topic of this thread, which began with the exact same ostinato (just played by a different instrument)!

What’s interesting about this revised HoT main theme compared to its previous iteration (which we heard in BWE2) is that it’s no longer just a main theme with a single, cohesive idea; instead it now acts as an overture, giving us several snippets of different themes (including, among other things, Mordremoth’s theme at 0:59) and thus foreshadows the story that we’re about to experience. I finally understand why Diemer hinted during the TwitchCon music stream that he wanted to include a revised main theme for HoT (which at the time sounded curious to me since the version of the HoT main theme we had heard sounded quite good already); perhaps he wanted to foreshadow several story elements and people/races we will come across in the expansion, hence the need for revision.

The ostinato of Diemer’s preview piece plays prominently throughout this revised main theme/overture. Because an overture in an opera/concerto/musical traditionally only references the main ideas/themes of the entire work as an appetizer for the “main course” that follows it, I dare say that the preview piece, and what it’s associated with (which I speculate to be Malyck and his Grove as stated in my opening post) will play a big part in the narrative of the expansion, perhaps even bigger than any of us had initially imagined. Why else would Diemer, who is known for subtly seeding several musical clues that have hinted at future elements of GW2 narrative before (see the usage of Mordremoth’s theme in LW Season 1 before the dragon’s actual reveal) reference that exact ostinato pattern so prominently throughout what is the main theme/overture of the expansion? The melody in the strings even turns into a major key by the end of the track, which sounds downright heroic and victorious.

Other things that I find very interesting about this overture are its overall feel compared to the previous version of the HoT main theme (that version was more of a “prepare for war” march, but the revised overture sounds more like a big battle sequence with the prominent use of drums and determined string ostinato to propel the melody forward) and the fact that many of the themes converge at the end, leading to a rousing finale as the main theme takes over. It sounds to me like the Pact Commander will be accompanied by the inhabitants of the jungle based on the themes hinted in it: Malyck’s people, Exalted and Nuhoch/Itzel who will assist the remnants of the Pact fleet in its desperate struggle. Does this possibly foreshadow that when all hope seems lost, we receive aid from all those we have helped in the jungle as the Heart of Maguuma rises against the Jungle Dragon who has attempted to enslave it?

Whether this is the effect Diemer intends his revised main theme to evoke or not should be fascinating to see once the expansion launches. At least these new developments give me hope that, if the preview piece and its recent references in the main theme/overture are in fact related to Malyck’s storyline, Malyck’s Tree might not fall into darkness and we might see Malyck and his people rise to meet the challenge and help redeem the sylvari race from their nefarious dragon ‘father’.

(edited by Kossage.9072)

Malyck's Tree confirmed?

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Well he is the Harbinger I guess it makes sense, although I believe he’s the rather known as the Nightmare Harbinger, and since the Nightmare is not Mordy…
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Nightmare_Harbinger