Mesmers & Relationships

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Caro.2730

Caro.2730

Is it just me or EVERY mesmer somehow important to the story in the game is/was in a relationship with someone? Let’s check:

Jennah has Logan.
Vassar has(had) his elementalist Ralena.
Kasmeer has Marjory.
Faolain has(had) Caithe.
Countess Anise… Well, she has entire Divinity’s Reach. Everyone wants a piece of her. She’s flirting left and right with everyone. Maybe she got bored of all these DR fanboys and that’s why she took Canach for herself.
Even Ysvelta, mesmer from sylvari personal story + knight Tiachren.

Does someone beside me find this a little fascinating? Everyone has hots for mesmers. Is there any lore behind it?
Now when I think of it… Maybe that’s why Trahearne wants to be constantly alone with my male sylvari mesmer… But I don’t mind, he’s kinda cute.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Deception and manipulation… These love stories are faaaake

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

An interesting observation, even if you are bending Anise to fit your trend.

Cadeyrn’s the only semi-important mesmer I can think of that you missed.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

(edited by Aaron Ansari.1604)

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Oddly enough, my mesmer has (in RP) addressed part of the reason for this. So, here’s how she would explain it.

“Mesmer magic isn’t just illusions, it’s also pushing the boundaries between illusion and reality. That is why I can make a portal, for example, that actually moves you instead of just creating the illusion of movement. It’s a bit more complicated than that, but I think you get the idea.

“The magics we use to heal ourselves work in the same way. We create the illusion of being healthier, and then push that into reality. But in training for our usual combat style, most mesmers become very familiar with their own appearance. We have to know every little detail, even the ones that bother or annoy us. And when we overlay an illusion upon ourselves to heal, it’s very tempting to change those little things over time. To remove that little bump on the bridge of the nose, or brighten your eyes just a bit, or make that spot of hair that never goes right finally lay with the rest of it.

“By the time they are fully trained, any decent mesmer will have adjusted at least a few details of their own appearance. It’s not an illusion, it’s the new reality. Many will be handsome or beautiful, but even those that are not will have removed anything disconcerting about their appearance, unless that was what they wanted to look like. Only by choice is a mesmer ugly, and all mesmers are comfortable within their own skin. This confidence, along with the improved appearance, is very attractive to a lot of people.”

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Rognik.2579

Rognik.2579

I found the NPCs back in GW1 who were mesmers tended to be the more charming ones. (Gwen may not have been the most pleasant, but Kieran wore her down.) Norgu was an actor and was very affable, if not necessarily the most attractive. I’m sure there’s something alluring about the mesmer arts, and that naturally draws others to them, whether it be romantic or otherwise.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

I found the NPCs back in GW1 who were mesmers tended to be the more charming ones. (Gwen may not have been the most pleasant, but Kieran wore her down.) Norgu was an actor and was very affable, if not necessarily the most attractive. I’m sure there’s something alluring about the mesmer arts, and that naturally draws others to them, whether it be romantic or otherwise.

In GW1 the professions (well, core professions) were also heavily slanted towards the human deities- for mesmers, that meant Lyssa, the goddess of beauty and, apparently, love. I wouldn’t be surprised if mesmer culture developed in a way that reflected that connection- socialization might make mesmers more amorous as a whole than members of other professions.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Thalador.4218

Thalador.4218

Cadeyrn’s the only semi-important mesmer I can think of that you missed.

Minor nitpicking, but Cadeyrn had been a warrior until they screwed up his entire story in Twilight Arbor story.

Of course, that was established in the Dream and Nightmare short story, and back then we weren’t inoculated in the new dogma that all outside-of-“GW2” lore is malleable and thus mostly incorrect.

Scarlet’s Alliance Wars (a.k.a. “Guild Wars 2”)
A fantasy of sci-fi cyborg implants grafted into the desiccated flesh of Guild Wars’ corpse.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

well i know in the case of the countess Anise that her looks are an illusion or have definitely been altered because in one of the personal story missions my character starts asking her about mesmers and then says hmmm i wonder how old you really are and then she snaps at him

so i think its the fact that mesmers very rarely if ever actually look like they do in reality
its just an illusion and that illusion of beauty is what draws others in

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

Oddly enough, my mesmer has (in RP) addressed part of the reason for this. So, here’s how she would explain it.

“Mesmer magic isn’t just illusions, it’s also pushing the boundaries between illusion and reality. That is why I can make a portal, for example, that actually moves you instead of just creating the illusion of movement. It’s a bit more complicated than that, but I think you get the idea.

“The magics we use to heal ourselves work in the same way. We create the illusion of being healthier, and then push that into reality. But in training for our usual combat style, most mesmers become very familiar with their own appearance. We have to know every little detail, even the ones that bother or annoy us. And when we overlay an illusion upon ourselves to heal, it’s very tempting to change those little things over time. To remove that little bump on the bridge of the nose, or brighten your eyes just a bit, or make that spot of hair that never goes right finally lay with the rest of it.

“By the time they are fully trained, any decent mesmer will have adjusted at least a few details of their own appearance. It’s not an illusion, it’s the new reality. Many will be handsome or beautiful, but even those that are not will have removed anything disconcerting about their appearance, unless that was what they wanted to look like. Only by choice is a mesmer ugly, and all mesmers are comfortable within their own skin. This confidence, along with the improved appearance, is very attractive to a lot of people.”

i like this idea

iv never thought of mesmers as manifesting illusions into real things (i imagine only the most powerful mesmers can do this?) its really cool

lol and i main a mesmer

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

There are some fun things you can do with Mesmer clones in the bedroom. That is why.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Weindrasi.3805

Weindrasi.3805

Well, mesmers can make themselves look like anybody or anything.
They can influence the mind to make a partner really aroused—the magic could be used as an aphrodisiac.
They can probably also influence the mind to get you feeling really high… and from what I hear, doing the dirty while high is a lot of fun.
They can make clones.
They can create an environmental illusion. Romantic island? Luxurious bed? A little magic, and you’re as good as there.
They can walk around naked, and nobody will know
Honestly, the sexual possibilities with mesmer magic are just about limitless. I’m sure both mesmers and their partners take great pleasure in the fact.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

To flip it around, personally I’ve had a theory that each of the branches of magic calls to a certain mindset. Preservation magic (monks, paragons, guardians, and possibly dervishes) is based on faith, while most necromancers have a degree of morbidity and cynical self-reliance.

Elementalists and mesmers both share a certain flamboyant and/or scholarly nature, however, in elementalists this tends to manifest in ways that can rub people the wrong way. Mesmers are smoother and more charming.

Now, there are exceptions to this rule, and it’s a bit of a chicken-egg question (how much is it that the magic is easier to use for people with certain personalities, and how much simply that people with certain personalities are more likely to choose certain magic types?). Either way, though, certain branches of magic do seem to be associated with certain personalities, and of those personalities, mesmers are probably the most conducive to forming relationships.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Malganis.7468

Malganis.7468

There are some fun things you can do with Mesmer clones in the bedroom. That is why.

One of my guildies wrote a very erotic story on this subject.

Legion of Honour [XIII]: http://operationunion.enjin.com/home
Tarnished Coast

Mesmers & Relationships

in Lore

Posted by: Thanatos.2691

Thanatos.2691

Love is a Lie. Mesmers are the best Liars. Therefore Mesmers are the best Lovers!

Golden shackles are still golden.