Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-mordrem-guard/

Thought it was an interesting piece, especially the last 3 paragraphs

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: Greysonn.3698

Greysonn.3698

I was about to make a post regarding this when I was stopped by the forums being flooded after the Mordremoth invasion farce. I, on the other hand, think the article was written in an incredibly unprofessional fashion. Every sentence starts with “The Mordrem Guard, The Mordrem Guard, The Mordrem Guard”.

On top of that the attempt to keep immersion with “Worst of all for Pact forces, Mordremoth has an inexhaustible supply of all three Mordrem Guard commanders; when one falls in battle, the jungle dragon simply creates a new one with the same look, same name, and same deadly abilities as the one it replaced.” For real? That’s so childish and the most immersion breaking thing I’ve ever read.

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

I was about to make a post regarding this when I was stopped by the forums being flooded after the Mordremoth invasion farce. I, on the other hand, think the article was written in an incredibly unprofessional fashion. Every sentence starts with “The Mordrem Guard, The Mordrem Guard, The Mordrem Guard”.

On top of that the attempt to keep immersion with “Worst of all for Pact forces, Mordremoth has an inexhaustible supply of all three Mordrem Guard commanders; when one falls in battle, the jungle dragon simply creates a new one with the same look, same name, and same deadly abilities as the one it replaced.” For real? That’s so childish and the most immersion breaking thing I’ve ever read.

If the Mordrem Guard commanders are so good and so easy to replace, why doesn’t he just make an army of them and send them to destroy Tokyo Lion’s Arch?

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Probably the same reason Kralkatorrik doesn’t have an army of The Shatterer patrolling the Dragonbrand at the same time.

“We want dynamic events to be repeatable, so the boss must return somehow. This is how we’ll explain it rather than ignoring the repetition in storytelling!”

Though if they were to explain that question, the answer might be “it takes time and effort to make such powerful champions that they don’t bother to have multiples yet – Zhaitan did because he was around so long, and Jormag does while fewer than Zhaitan because he didn’t have the immediate supplies that Zhaitan did”.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: EdwinLi.1284

EdwinLi.1284

Maybe the Commanders require a larger amount of Magical energy to maintain which is why Mordy doesn’t have a lot of them. Don’t forget back when we were fighting Zhaitan his strongest minions cost him a lot of Magical Energy to create and maintain so there may be a limit to how much each Elder Dragon can control in their army until they reach a certain level of strength after consuming enough Magic.

Think of it like a Unit limit where a Commander type mordrem cost him 10 Unit slots but a lower rank only cost him 1 unit slot.

Managing the amount of Magical energy spent seems to be part of the Elder Dragon’s army building since they are spending the Magical energy they consume to create their minions and with the stronger ones costing the most it would be unwise to spend so much of their own Magical Energy just to build a army and leaving themself in a weak state.

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: Kalavier.1097

Kalavier.1097

It could also be, due to nature of HOW the mordrem guard are, he can zap one of the trees to simply produce a duplicate in a pod.

I remember something about branded slowly reforming over time, but I forget where. We know that the “shatterer” is merely a title, as soon as we kill one, another dragon takes the title.

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Maybe this is something more along the lines of Battlestar Gallactica (sort of, they actually had armies of duplicates), that each time a commander dies his essence or mind goes back to Mordy (kinda like the Dream…) and then Mordy can put it into a new body.

Mordrem Guard

in Lore

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I was thinking the same thing but with a Tyranid Hive Tyrant. When one dies it’s consciousness is sent back to the Hive Mind, or in this case Modremoth, and their body is remade back at base ready for battle again.

Seems like a pretty simple process for something that grows new minions and controls minds.