One of Lord Odran's Portals

in Lore

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

In Mount Maelstrom at the point of interest the Valley of Gwaun there are several invincible champion ghosts, they say things about ascalon but I assume that this could be just common dialogue of ghosts, as they are pretty far from ascalon. I was thinking this may be an entrance to the hall of heroes as all the ghosts are champions.

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Lore

Posted by: Infamous Darkness.3284

Infamous Darkness.3284

here is the location

Attachments:

Infamous Culverin(engi[Main]), one of every other class.
Karl Marx: “Go away! Last words are for fools who haven’t said enough!”

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Unfortunately there’s no lore on that place as far as I have seen. The only known portals by Odran in continental Tyria lie in the Tomb of the Primeval Kings and Tomb of Drascir (both now within the Dragonbrand). There’s no mention of a portal in what was the Shiverpeak Mountains – though all portals are said to be behind traps and hard to get to.

Furthermore, they are called “Lost Spirit”s so I doubt they come from the Hall of Heroes, whom I doubt would even leave (if they could) the Hall of Heroes. Lost Spirit/Soul is usually a term used in the series to denote someone who died but didn’t move on due to an unsettled conflict or the like.

It’s possible, but IMO unlikely.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: MoS.5970

MoS.5970

Furthermore, they are called “Lost Spirit”s so I doubt they come from the Hall of Heroes, whom I doubt would even leave (if they could) the Hall of Heroes. Lost Spirit/Soul is usually a term used in the series to denote someone who died but didn’t move on due to an unsettled conflict or the like.

Lost Soul (The Hall of Heroes) in GW1

Would this be a connection? I know they spawned after “the Darknesses” was defeated meaning they were lost due to the HoH being overrun. I’m not saying the Darkness is back or anything, I just noticed that there were Lost Spirits/Souls in the HoH at a given point, even if for just congratulatory reasons and obviously no longer being “lost”.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lost_Soul_%28Gate_of_Pain%29
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lost_Soul_%28Remains_of_Sahlahja%29
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lost_Soul_%28Underworld%29

“Lost Soul” is pretty much just a catch-all term for ghosts in GW1. Little different than Restless Spirit

It’s not impossible, but the likeliness through that term alone is… extremely unlikely.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

I wasn’t aware of that one (and I have all POIs, probably rushed that one or forgot what I saw), I knew most “potential entrances to new content” (at least if they ever do proper expansions) but didn’t notices that one, and that has some things in common with places like the Bandidt fortress with several invincible champion bandits too.

Being in the middle of a map instead of a border it has lots of potential as at any given point they can open an entrance to a new plane from there.

in Lore

Posted by: Stephen.6312

Stephen.6312

Hi Infamous Darkness,
That was a good observation. I have been investigating this possibility and, in my opinion (for what it is worth), there is a high likelihood that Lord Odran opened a portal at this location.

As Konig pointed out, there are two confirmed locations at which Lord Odran opened portals into the Mists: 1) the Tomb of the Primeval Kings and 2) the Battle Isles.

We are led to believe by the Guild Wars Manuscripts that Lord Odran concealed his portals with “wards and enchantments” in areas that were “difficult to get to”. These elements were dangerous enough to stir the “fear of death” in many would-be adventurers, sorting the meek from the mighty.

With this in mind, if we are to search for the locations of other portals opened by Odran, we should look for sites similar to those that we already know of. These are the peculiar details of each known site that seem the most relevant:

Peculiar Details Of The Battle Isles And The Tomb of the Primeval Kings

• Remote locations, inhospitable to life.
  • The Isles may be a caldera, a dormant volcano.
  • The Tomb of the Primeval Kings may have been located on an island once, in the days before the Crystal Desert was transformed from a sea into a desert. (It is also possible that such an island was volcanic in origin.)

Unfortunately, we don’t have more than that, although there is an interesting detail about Lord Odran’s demise that is worth noting: It is said that Lord Odran was “torn to pieces” by spirits from the Hall of Heroes.

In conclusion, there are at least two other possible locations at which Lord Odran opened portals:
1) The Ring Of Fire Island Chain and 2) Mount Maelstrom. Both of these locations are volcanic and as such inhospitable to life. The Ring of Fire Island chain is, well, just that – an island chain, hard to get to. The Valley Of Gwuan appears to be the remains of a volcanic vent and, just as interestingly, is populated by spirits enraged by the presence of any mortal flesh around them, reminiscent of the spirits by whom Lord Odran was destroyed.

(edited by Stephen.6312)

in Lore

Posted by: Aaron Ansari.1604

Aaron Ansari.1604

Mount Maelstrom wasn’t volcanic in Odran’s time, though- it didn’t become active until sometime between the games. Before that, it appeared to just be a larger-than-average mountain, otherwise indistinguishable from the rest of the Shiverpeaks- and located fairly close to one of the largest dwarvern cities to boot.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

in Lore

Stephen.6312

Mount Maelstrom wasn’t volcanic in Odran’s time, though- it didn’t become active until sometime between the games. Before that, it appeared to just be a larger-than-average mountain, otherwise indistinguishable from the rest of the Shiverpeaks- and located fairly close to one of the largest dwarvern cities to boot.

Hi Aaron,
Can you confirm the approximate date during which Lord Odran was active? Is it openly stated in any of the manuscripts? Or is it something that members of the lore community have reached a consensus on?

On a side note: It is entirely possible that Mt Maelstrom was dormant for a time.

in Lore

Konig Des Todes.2086

Prophecies manual, specifically the timeline, places Odran alive 200 years before GW1.

At this point, the Crystal Desert was long a desert. No islands or volcanic activity either. And the Tomb of the Primeval Kings had existed for over 600 years by Odran’s time.

The Valley of Gwaun, whatever it is, did not exist in gw1. We can go there as it is part of Talus Chute’s southwest corner, and that was a cliff full of trolls. It is one of the subliminal design retcons between the games, and there is no lore on this Valley.

I’d like to note that the volcano comparison fails at Tomb of Drascir too, which as I said had a portal by Odran. The Tomb of Drascir was in Ascalon.

The chances of there having been more than two portals by Odran into the Mists in the same continent is unlikely.

There is also no record or indication that Mount Maelstrom was a volcano in gw1 or before. All indication actually states that it is destroyer-made.

Dear ANet writers,

in Lore

Stephen.6312

Prophecies manual, specifically the timeline, places Odran alive 200 years before GW1.

At this point, the Crystal Desert was long a desert. No islands or volcanic activity either. And the Tomb of the Primeval Kings had existed for over 600 years by Odran’s time.

The Valley of Gwaun, whatever it is, did not exist in gw1. We can go there as it is part of Talus Chute’s southwest corner, and that was a cliff full of trolls. It is one of the subliminal design retcons between the games, and there is no lore on this Valley.

I’d like to note that the volcano comparison fails at Tomb of Drascir too, which as I said had a portal by Odran. The Tomb of Drascir was in Ascalon.

The chances of there having been more than two portals by Odran into the Mists in the same continent is unlikely.

There is also no record or indication that Mount Maelstrom was a volcano in gw1 or before. All indication actually states that it is destroyer-made.

Hi Konig,
Thank you for clarifying that. I had neglected to check the timeline laid out in the manual.