Opinions on SAB? lore-wise

in Lore

Posted by: Antediluvian.5169

Antediluvian.5169

While it definitely derails a lot from the overall theme of the game, SAB skins are just not enough for me to break the immersion. Plus, when the event’s over I don’t really see many people using these skins.

I can outrun a centaur.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I cannot see how the SAB weapons are any more immersion breaking than most of the armor and weapons in the game, let alone how people dye their armor. I mean, come on, there is a pistol with saws in the middle of the barrel – which would obviously prevent firing proper bullets, but due to placement would also cut off your own finger if you tried to release from the trigger.

And then we’ve gotten armor like this and that – one’s a self-accupuncture armor, the other is “heavy” but reveals all vital points.

But 8-bit weapons is the “immersion breaking” when you have a greatsword the blade of which isn’t even metal

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

I’m with Gandarel and Konig on this. I’m not a big fan of cutsey stuff to begin with, but I was OK, with it being a short lived in-game joke. Now it is coming back? Ugh…

I get that I am not the only player (and neither is Gandarel and Konig) ANet has to cater to, but I play the game for the lore and fantasy setting aspects. The sci-fi and techy garbage seriously detracts for me.

I LMAO in GW1 when they had the Commando for April fools. It was fun for a couple of weeks, but I knew it was for laughs. All this Asura tech being added just makes the game feel like it is trying to become a bad arcade video game I have to put two quarters in to play.

in Lore

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Why so serious?

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Because when you want to put a Joker into Guild Wars 2, you get Scarlet.

in Lore

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Calling Scarlet the GW2 Joker is an insult to the Joker. She’s closer to the Harley Quinn, lacking the fanaticism to some dude she works for…

Or does she? Maybe Mister E has something he’s hiding. Just like how Scarlet signs her letters with S, E does the same…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

in Lore

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Never said that you succeed in putting the Joker into GW2. Only wanting to.

in Lore

Posted by: UnrealUK.9506

UnrealUK.9506

The SAB is an invention by an Asuran genius – one who is probably quite insular, selfish, but brilliant. Scarlet is a dangerous terrorist carrying out targeted actions around the world, but that’s not to say it’s putting Rata Sum in immediate or critical danger like, say, a dragon champion would.

Therefore, this Asura probably cares little about that relatively minor (in his estimation) external threat. In fact, in the many months he’s hunkered in his lab, tinkering and improving his SAB, he’s probably paid little attention to anything happening in the outside world.

To say it’s odd timing to have the SAB right after Scarlet’s invasions is to misunderstand an Asura of this nature. He was going to go ahead with this reveal regardless.

There’s a lore explanation, for you. If that helps you sleep better, then good!

Tarian Thalberg ~ Warrior ~ Lux Arcana [LUX]
Gandara

in Lore

Posted by: Eluveitie.1290

Eluveitie.1290

“There are some interesting things that we can get from this.

Moto seems to be an ex-member of this krewe.

Adventure Box was their project. It was promising but led to some unpleasant consequences.

Moto was expelled from this krewe after a public presentation has gone wrong. (He also made some dangerous prank during an experiment)

Moto is now taunting the krewe with Super Adventure Box."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1lpqkm/spoiler_sab_secret_instructions/

Personally, haven’t played SAB so far yet, but this all seems to indicate there’s more to it, and ties to the first time it came about and the dialogues that sorrounded it with the Consortium and the angry asura.

(edited by Eluveitie.1290)

in Lore

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Personally, haven’t played SAB so far yet

You should check it out. No level req to participate. Lot’s of fun

in Lore

Posted by: Kyrel.8942

Kyrel.8942

Here’s some official lore on the good ol’ SAB.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/short-story-shadowbox/

in Lore

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I don’t usually post a lot, but I have to get this off my chest:
I don’t mean to be rude, and I don’t mean to offend anyone either, but I’m getting kind of annoyed with the slowly increasing whining about the living story.

The majority of people here weren’t too happy with Scarlet, and were telling they needed a break from her. When we get exactly that, and nobody’s happy either.
The invasions won’t magically stop either, it’s been announced some time ago that they will remain permanent, albeit at a reduced frequency.
We’ll get back to Scarlet in time.

I fail to see how this update is destroying the game. GW1 had candy cane weapons and similar joke weapons.

(Just to be clear, I’m not saying the LS and this update are top notch, but does it really deserve all of the flack it’s given? You don’t even have to pay for it, for crying out loud!)

And it’s sad enough I’m crying Scarlet or even, even the dragons back. It’s that I see people with these awful 8bit weapons everywhere.

And GW1 candy weapons didn’t do max dmg, i think only a very limited (under 100), did.

This is what makes me laugh, because when people/Anet argued that town clothes during Halloween shouldn’t be able to be transmuted onto armor because “people running around like the Mad King would look silly!”

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

SAB is just bad. It was bad a joke content for April Fools. It wasn’t fun, it didn’t make me laugh, and it angered and frustrated me, which isn’t something I want from my video games. It prompted me to quit playing for about 4 months, during which I apparently missed a lot of interesting Living Story things. That angers me more.

But if this is now going to be permanent/reoccurring, I’m going to be able to do what I’m doing right now: ignore it like the corky kid in the back of the class whose eating paste instead of listening to the lesson. I’ll make fun of it, deride it, and make it feel bad about itself until it goes away, and every time it comes back, I’ll treat it like the unwanted crap it is. It isn’t about immersion or lore for me, it’s about SAB just being BAD content. It’s a horrible idea, poorly executed, that ruins fun, and destroys and sense of enjoyment I can get out of the game. By ignoring this cycle completely, maybe I can get a few more of my alts up in level. The scrolls were a nice start, but 20 is only part of the way there, and the rest of the way is going to take so kitten long…

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

SAB is just bad. It was bad a joke content for April Fools. It wasn’t fun, it didn’t make me laugh, and it angered and frustrated me, which isn’t something I want from my video games. It prompted me to quit playing for about 4 months, during which I apparently missed a lot of interesting Living Story things. That angers me more.

But if this is now going to be permanent/reoccurring, I’m going to be able to do what I’m doing right now: ignore it like the corky kid in the back of the class whose eating paste instead of listening to the lesson. I’ll make fun of it, deride it, and make it feel bad about itself until it goes away, and every time it comes back, I’ll treat it like the unwanted crap it is. It isn’t about immersion or lore for me, it’s about SAB just being BAD content. It’s a horrible idea, poorly executed, that ruins fun, and destroys and sense of enjoyment I can get out of the game. By ignoring this cycle completely, maybe I can get a few more of my alts up in level. The scrolls were a nice start, but 20 is only part of the way there, and the rest of the way is going to take so kitten long…

Much as I don’t like the idea of you deciding it’s "junk’ because you don’t like it, I think the rest is probably the best reaction possible for people who don’t like it. Do something else until it goes away.

Or at least until Tequatl Rising.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

in Lore

Posted by: Drakkon.4782

Drakkon.4782

Much as I don’t like the idea of you deciding it’s "junk’ because you don’t like it, I think the rest is probably the best reaction possible for people who don’t like it. Do something else until it goes away.
Or at least until Tequatl Rising.

As I said, I am ignoring it until it goes away. And my opinion of it is my own. I don’t claim to speak for anyone else. if anyone else is enjoying it, great. But I have tried to enjoy it several times and it won’t let me. If just keeps doing everything I hate. It’s like it find it funny to kitten me off. So I’m shunning it until it gets the hint and wanders off to mope.

“People don’t hate Scarlet the way Game of Thrones
fans hate Joffrey. They hate her the way Star Wars
fans hate Jar Jar Binks.”-not a direct quote, but still true.

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I personally love SAB. I think it is wonderfully designed, and it is great when Anet allows its staff to explore their own ideas so freely. That said, content such as SAB does put some of GW’s glaring flaws on full display. Such as the jumping mechanics, collision detection, the dreadful camera, and targeting. And there really is no excuse for world 2 still having so many spots that the camera can’t handle.

Of course, if you don’t like 8-bit/16-bit retro games, this is not for you. And I can see how it is lore breaking. And there’s also plenty of gamers who hate platforming with a fiery passion. I can understand that. SAB, even in normal mode, is infuriatingly difficult. Often more difficult than it needs to be, thanks to the bad controls, bad camera, and simply badly designed platforms that are way too small than they have any right to be.

Especially from a lore point of view, this kind of content is hard to swallow. I don’t hate it, but I can understand where some of the hatred is coming from.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Bellyboomer.3048

Bellyboomer.3048

-The 8-bit weapons just look asuran to me.

-Hats and backpacks were knitted by the loving human housewives.

-The dreamer is a magical weapon linked to the fabric of dreams, thus shooting dreamlike projectiles.

-The super adventure box is an asuran invention made with moto’s last recources.

It fits, it doesn’t mean you have to like it. You can just ignore it if you’d like.
I’m sick of this board being used to talk trash about the living world, Anet is doing their best and we’re lucky we can get so much new content. Everybody is mad at the devs since Scarlet was revealed and we didn’t get enough information at first so everybody started shouting ‘bad writing’. Look at all the great fun we’ve had with the living story?! One poorly written character and some joke content and everybody has lost hope in the living world.

Kitten you, kitten you so hard, kitten you until the kittens claw your eyes out and eat them.

in Lore

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

Not everybody despises the Living Story, but I can understand some of the complaints. I still personally love doing the invasions. It’s just absolutely fun for me, even if I can’t quite understand how she has such a massive army and no one knows about it.

in Lore

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

There’s nothing wrong with SAB as far as lore goes, and it is a welcome diversion to the frantic grindfest of the previous LS events. In fact, if you took the time to read the backstory on SAB you’d see some ominous portents slipped in there. I won’t link it again, someone already did that earlier, but go read it and then the whole SAB experience won’t seem so trivial and nonsense when concerning the lore. It has many ways to tie in if they so choose.

And if you are one of those that just really don’t like it, that’s fine too because it’s minor content at this point and can be easily avoided. As far as the weapons go, yeah they were novel the first time around but now that’s all you see and it is getting pretty annoying I will admit. Having been a child of the 80’s platform games though, I can’t hate it too much. Once people get tired of showing them off, they’ll move on to the latest new skins that come out, so don’t worry.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Lore

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

And if you are one of those that just really don’t like it, that’s fine too because it’s minor content at this point and can be easily avoided.

I personally wouldn’t say it’s minor. I mean, as far as scale and scope, SAB adds huge levels, and quite a lot of them, with unique boss fights and unique enemies and mechanics. It’s easily some of the biggest content they’ve added so far.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Lore

Posted by: Loki.9147

Loki.9147

After reading the short story, does the SAB feel more like a cursed sword that was forged by a angry, or hateful blacksmith, more than Technological genius? I mean, it was perfect when he turned it on. To perfect, even. States that he didn’t remember polishing up any of the characters, but the princess’ model was polished. I’m not saying that he couldn’t have done it, but the dopelganger at the end feels more like this technological genius was more a creation of the rage, anger, and pride that he’d thrown into it’s making.

(edited by Loki.9147)

in Lore

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

And if you are one of those that just really don’t like it, that’s fine too because it’s minor content at this point and can be easily avoided.

I personally wouldn’t say it’s minor. I mean, as far as scale and scope, SAB adds huge levels, and quite a lot of them, with unique boss fights and unique enemies and mechanics. It’s easily some of the biggest content they’ve added so far.

Minor content as in not as widely world-changing (yet anyway) as the previous LS stuff. I know the levels themselves are pretty large. You can still even walk all over Rata Sum and not be affected by it in any way. To me that makes it minor content.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

in Lore

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

SAB is a video game made by an asura and it has an educational purpose.
That’s the lore behind it. It is just a cube in Rata Sum and I don’t think it destroys the game. I think it fits the asura.

Exactly. Moto used magitech, metal and holography to construct a box which, when one steps inside, it produces video-game-like images. It fits inside the lore.
Asura already have:
-touch screen panels
-lasers
-golems
-teleportation portals
-levitation crystals (their city is flying in the sky)
-time travel
-holographs
-holographs that can be walked on (every bridge in Rata Sum)
-and with the newest update, a machine that lets you see the eternal alchemy! (if it doesn’t kill you)

Why would a box with holographic video game images bother you?
There is even a small, unfolding back story to it.